It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Language Barrier!  (Read 12359 times)

Offline dlinetackle

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Language Barrier!
« on: December 09, 2017, 02:48:21 PM »
Hello All,

First let me introduce myself to everyone; I'm Steven. lol. I have been a longtime "lurker in the shadows" but I do have some questions to which I can't really find any relatively recent threads about.

How have you guys overcame the language barrier? I know that a lot of individuals limit their searches for FSUW that already speak passable English. But I find that limiting and while I'm trying to cast the widest net possible I just don't want to focus on individuals who speak only English conversationally.  So I've explored options as to get over the language barrier and I come to the conclusion that I must learn Russian, at least conversationally, if I am to embark on this quest that we seem to have undertaken.  Have any of you all found any language classes, seminars, workshops that tend to work really well? I would like to stay away from the self teach options such as: Rosetta Stone, TransparentRussian and the like since I have a difficult time learning by that method. I would like to find someone who does language classes via Skype, or some other video streaming that is interactive.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this, and sorry if this is just another noob question that has been asked multiple times. I've tried exploring through the forums before I asked.

Steven

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Language Barrier!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 03:44:51 PM »
I come to the conclusion that I must learn Russian, at least conversationally, if I am to embark on this quest that we seem to have undertaken. 

You have arrived at the wrong conclusion . . . unless you plan to go live in her country permanently.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline dlinetackle

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 03:52:01 PM »
I'm definitely not opposed to relocating. But how are you all conversing with the ladies?  Is the communication limited to just writing letters?

For instance:

I'm currently in communication with a lady that I came into contact with on Russian-Personals. Her spoken English is lacking. Although reading comprehension is adequate. I guess through use of google translate, etc. We communicate daily via, What'sApp and Skype but our conversations are lacking any substance. I feel as though a lot is lost through translations. And I was wondering how people are combating the language barriers.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 03:59:24 PM »
Hello Steven,

While learning a new language is always a good idea, I don't think you will learn Russian at a level where you can communicate meaningfully in Russian for years.  You may be able to understand it, though.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline dlinetackle

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 04:10:06 PM »
Boe,

That's really all I want to do at this point. Something has to be better that "Cut, Copy, Paste" from google translate. But I do appreciate yalls input. In my research I found a place on the web called VerbalPlanet and they appear to have all sorts of languages and tutors available. Not endorsing by any means, but it does appear to be interesting.

Offline JayH

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 04:47:25 PM »
You have arrived at the wrong conclusion . . . unless you plan to go live in her country permanently.

Hello Steven,

While learning a new language is always a good idea, I don't think you will learn Russian at a level where you can communicate meaningfully in Russian for years.  You may be able to understand it, though.

I agree with both points made above . If you are planning on spending time in FSU the most useful quick thing to do is learn the Cyrillic alphabet . That is the basis to reading a menu ( or at least being able to make a good guess !!) -- understand what shops are,read signs etc .That makes life a lot easier and allows your independence.

Boe,

That's really all I want to do at this point. Something has to be better that "Cut, Copy, Paste" from google translate. But I do appreciate yalls input. In my research I found a place on the web called VerbalPlanet and they appear to have all sorts of languages and tutors available. Not endorsing by any means, but it does appear to be interesting.

Use   automatic translation in Skype -- so as you talk you can write more complex topics and it can be read in real time. Having a visual, verbal and written conversation  works quite well !!
Presuming the intent is for the girl to live in an English speaking country --it is by far more important that she improves her skills-- and both your efforts are better placed in that direction, In the process-- you can pick up a few Russian words over a period of time.
As to ever having complex discussion in English --mm--even those who speak very good English can still have a problem with the nuances of speaking English and misunderstandings common.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 05:03:25 PM »
Hi Steven, welcome. When was with the last girl her English was not good at first. I found the Google translate app invaluable. You can type in English and it will convert it to Russian or Ukrainian  for her. You can also speak into it and it will translate but that is not so good as you need to speak slowly, clearly & even then who knows what comes out the other end, lol.

Most Restaurants in the major cities in Ukraine will have a copy of the menu in English. Again you can use the Google translate app on your phone which will convert Russian words into English if you hover the camera over the writing, same for street signs also. Again not 100 percent but it's all enough to get by. A few basic Russian words are handy to know but I wouldn't bother to put serious time into it. You've got other concerns, like earning money, sourcing the woman etc you can't be expected to do it all, let the girl learn English they enjoy doing it and it will help bind her to your (our) culture. The advice I've heard in the past is that very often speaking Russian badly just demeans you in the eyes of a girl. They look up to guys that speak English so go with that and let her do the learning. I think you are right not to just focus on good speaking English girls, it has advantages but unfortunately cuts out too many by just focusing on good speaking English girls. Main hurdle I find is getting beyond the bog standard conversation and onto trying to get to how the girl really is. Until that is achieved a relationship can feel lacking in depth I think.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline gaspar227

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 05:05:46 PM »
I found some decent ones on craigslist, claims to be a university professor for like $40 an hour.  I would think you could do that once a week or 2x and use the study materials on the internet.  I bet if you did more he'd cut a deal if you paid up front...after all it's craigslist.   At least that's what my approach is probably going to be if I can't get much from free things like youtube. 

He offers skype too.   Now I don't know this guy from adam, but there's options like this is all I'm saying.  The other classes and stuff I found were ridiculously expensive and you need to go there.  The community colleges near me don't seem to have Russian, but that's another option I was going to take a look at.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/lss/d/private-russian/6411900103.html

Offline dlinetackle

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 05:17:52 PM »
Jay - Thanks, I will definitely have to check out this automatic translator in skype. Sounds interesting. So far we've mainly used what'sapp and that is taking forever to translate back and forth do. So while we are on the video a lot of the time is looking up how to say certain stuff, and basically how to have more meaningful conversations.

Trench - Yeah I completely agree with the focusing. But problem is, I'm much more fluid as to whether or not who moves where and whatnot. If I meet someone it isn't as though she must absolutely relocate to where I am. I'm open to ideas and compromise.

Gaspar - Yes, I have scoured the local colleges and unfortunately they don't offer Russian. I just know myself and a traditional didactic course suits me the best. But finding one seems to be the difficult part. And thanks for the craigslist add. I will check it out and if I make any headway I will definitely let yall know.

Offline gaspar227

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 05:28:27 PM »
one other thing I use in whatsapp is the google translate app.  The app has a function where if you copy any text you can just one button translate it.  Be careful to make sure to Capitalize names and such, or you'll have problems. 

If it's a particularly important comment I have made, I will use it both ways...translate the russian to english and see if it makes sense.  I've caught a ton of problems that way, but for straight forward sentences.  " I like to walk on the beach and sunsets" it's fine to just click it and send it. 

Offline dlinetackle

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 06:33:58 PM »
Gaspar - Oh lord. Thanks for informing me about translating it both ways. I took a look at some of our conversations and they are just plain hilarious with what google translate did to it.

Offline gaspar227

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 07:01:32 PM »
Yes!  Lol, i recently had a particularly funny and frustrating discussion about the "homework" I was doing trying to learn Russian.  It took about 5 messages for her to understand I meant lessons about the Russian language, and not working from home.  thanks Google!

Offline dlinetackle

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 07:09:25 PM »
Definitely fun times had by all.

Also on an off topic. I've been perusing these forums awhile and I also check members status and trips taken. What is the average time it takes? I know this is not an endeavor for the faint-hearted. But I'm seeing people with 4+ trips and they still are single! Is it me or is that just an incredibly long amount of time to be doing this?

Offline ML

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 10:02:23 PM »
But I'm seeing people with 4+ trips and they still are single! Is it me or is that just an incredibly long amount of time to be doing this?

I didn't know that number of trips was a measure of time.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline dlinetackle

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 11:02:20 PM »
ML -  Sorry didn't mean to imply that it was. I was using my own certain limitations in determining the amount of time. Since I only get a single two week vacation anually. And if it takes individuals an average of 4-5 trips or maybe more, am I looking at a 4-5 year commitment. 

I tend to think very logically, especially in circumstances when logic really isn't the answer. lol.

Offline msmob

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 11:22:33 PM »
Hi dinetackle

if you have two weeks/ yr to find a FSU partner - this is far more of a limitation than the language barrier

I lived in a part of Europe where Russian was widely spoken and never learnt it in a formal way.

Right now I'm fast approaching Beel's wife's home town on a train - sharing with 3 Russian pensioners - and I'm SO glad I know some Russian - enables independent travel ;)

Offline dlinetackle

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 11:31:12 PM »
MsMob- That's what I was actually thinking about. The independence of at least knowing what people are saying in general proximity to myself. And While I do only have two weeks a year. I have nothing but empty time after my 8 hours in the office daily. lol. So, I'm using that time to send mass amounts of emails and message through a few different sites. And in 3-4 months when I make my trip I can make the best of it.

Offline JayH

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 11:46:23 PM »
- and I'm SO glad I know some Russian - enables independent travel ;)

The independence of at least knowing what people are saying in general proximity to

I don't want to sound too clever here -- but --  a good phone is probably the greatest development for the current day mob'er !  ( or anyone in a foreign language world)
EG -- you can use your phone to translate what is being said around you --even to record and digest later.
You can listen and/or see translation in real time -- and without anyone knowing !!!! It will not be a perfect translation -- but enough to get the jist of what is being said !!!
Using an earpiece can also be ok in some circumstances - eg where you may be listening to music .

translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline whynotme

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 11:48:31 PM »
I can help to overcome language barrier cheaper than your university professor. I have a great experience with my husband. He learnt "Да, дорогая", and I think it's quiet enough for our happy life.

Offline JayH

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 11:53:06 PM »
I can help to overcome language barrier cheaper than your university professor. I have a great experience with my husband. He learnt "Да, дорогая", and I think it's quiet enough for our happy life.

I thought you were going to say "yes dear" !!

Offline LAman

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2017, 01:05:48 AM »
ML -  Sorry didn't mean to imply that it was. I was using my own certain limitations in determining the amount of time. Since I only get a single two week vacation anually. And if it takes individuals an average of 4-5 trips or maybe more, am I looking at a 4-5 year commitment. 

I tend to think very logically, especially in circumstances when logic really isn't the answer. lol.

If you tend to think logically, then 1 two week vacation per year is not good formula when looking abroad. Although there is such a thing as a OWW, which I think is a 'settle for'.

Just a thought, could someone wait a year for the next face to face??
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline msmob

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2017, 01:25:45 AM »

I don't want to sound too clever here -- but --  a good phone is probably the greatest development for the current day mob'er ! 

But it doesn't help you learn or communicate ..;)

My phone has RU - and a few other languages - downloaded, but this poster prefers to figure conversations out - esp with strangers on a  train - as it seems 'rude' ! ;)

Offline Jumper

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2017, 06:52:32 AM »
Boe,

You can find tutors that will teach over Skype Viber, etc.

That said , it's very difficult to be at a level that your converstations won't be limited, which is where you are already at with her English .
 While I think it's a good idea to learn what Russian you can, the likelihood that it won't be the woman  that has to become fluent in your native language is slim. So I'd concentrate on women you can already communicate with.
 I don't feel limiting your search to those you can really communicate well with,is any more limiting than expanding your search to those you can't communicate well with despite an attempt to learn Russian(unless you plan to delay your trip a couple years, and spend thise years in full immersion class or situation.)

My advice is to limit your search to those you can communicate we with, but still study Russian when you have time, as even a basic understanding if Russian can help misunderstandings and travel.

As far as time, you'll generally need a lot of it, to date internationally.
What's the odds domestically that any  date is going to lead to marriage?

Also once a woman relocated you'll need time as well.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 07:25:50 AM by Jumper »

Offline dlinetackle

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2017, 07:13:31 AM »
Jumper - I can see that view point. And it's wouldn't be too difficult to find someone local to marry but I just have no interest in pursuing that. But I am coming to realize the benefit of just looking for FSUW that speak English a little bit. As opposed to finding individuals who have no English ability.

Thanks for all the input, especially just learning Да, дорогая, that brought a chuckle or two. lol

Offline Jumper

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 07:28:52 AM »
My wife is amazing, but I would advise anyone,including FSU women, to certainly also be open to dating locally.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541379
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 1400
Most Online Ever: 12701