It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Banks in Russia  (Read 5432 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Banks in Russia
« on: April 14, 2017, 12:34:45 AM »
I've been happy with the Raiffeisen Bank, but the -very- local branch has closed and the nearest 'bankomat' where one can take dosh without a charge will be 20 mins away:(

I liked that it had w.European owners, whether that was a sane way to choose a bank - I don't know - but now I must look for a convenient branch.

Locally, we have Alpha, Sber - Kremlin controlled - VTB.  Slioghtly more distant... Ruski Standart ( not the Vodka)

I just want to be able to sent GBP to Russia ( Raiffeisen allows a GBP account ) and convert to local currency to pay bills online.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Re: Banks in Russia
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 03:14:02 PM »
Soon Russia will be cut-off from the SWIFT banking system.
Then you will really have problems.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmob

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 09:05:52 PM »

ML

Much as I personally disagree with the Kremlin's role in it's neighbours - whilst further criminalising talk of ceding from the RF - I don't think THAT  will be an option  used - Western Sanctions have not be used to alienate RU citizens in general

http://www.economist.com/news/international/21633830-blocking-rogue-states-access-worlds-financial-messaging-network-potent-measure

NOT losing sleep over that possibility ...

Offline deccie

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 12:04:08 AM »
To transfer money into Russia we just use paypal. I send to wife's paypal account and then wife withdraws into her Russian bank account. Generally funds are available within 48 hours so long as the transfer is not done on a Friday, weekend  or near a holiday. Fees are quite reasonable considering the speed.

Offline msmob

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 12:29:05 AM »
To transfer money into Russia we just use paypal. I send to wife's paypal account and then wife withdraws into her Russian bank account. Generally funds are available within 48 hours so long as the transfer is not done on a Friday, weekend  or near a holiday. Fees are quite reasonable considering the speed.

Phoo, paypal are expensive..

1/ If one doesn't have a Paypal balance one pays to put money there and one pays to take it out again - at a rip off conversion rate

We have both got one paypal card attached to one account - instant sending - just the daily limit issue

2/ My apologies for not being clearer  - the question refers to when trying to transfer larger sums - bigger than daily limits

We have a series of 'top up cards attached to  UK Bank's  - ( instant ) but just want a swift, cheaper bank to bank transfer

Offline BillyB

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 07:42:44 PM »
1/ If one doesn't have a Paypal balance one pays to put money there and one pays to take it out again - at a rip off conversion rate

How much would paypal take if I sent a $1000 to Ukraine do you figure? I sometimes send money to MIL or to build an apartment we bought over there. I got plenty of money in Paypal. The hit I take for putting money in there is going to happen regardless due to selling computers and customers paying by way of paypal. Transferring it to my bank is free. Built my own computer years ago for fun. Bought components to build other people I know computers. Became a hobby but stopped for a few years. Wife told me to clear out the components that are laying around and worth money. I had an idea to market my computers. Began building computers in December 2016 again. Sold $1000 worth in January. Sold $5000 worth in February. Now selling $20,000 a month. Intending to go bigger. I decided to stay working with dirt and hired a guy to help me with the building of computers. I keep the hard job dealing with the money....and Uncle Sam. If it weren't for wifey nagging me to get rid of the components, I wouldn't have this second business. Blame her for increasing my workload and decreasing my sex life. If paypal is cheaper than Western Union and MoneyGram, I'd use them.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline AkMike

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 08:10:06 PM »
BillyB, we just gave the step-son a debit card form our local bank.(separate account with minimum amount to keep it open). IF there's a problem he would call and explain the need and we fill that account with needed funds.  Minimal expense.

Offline msmob

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 08:25:29 PM »
How much would paypal take if I sent a $1000 to Ukraine do you figure?

If you trust the M-i-L give her a Paypal card - linked to your account - She can pay for the building materials by card?

PS I used to have a biz 20 years ago building black computers - everyone else ( apart from IBM ) was selling beige ones .

What niche market are you targeting - as *I* thought the PC market was dead?  IF I'm not wrong, the 'future' is in IoT devices - internet of things..

I'm in Russia - working with some great programmers - and the tricks a tiny computer -  the size of my thumb can do ....

Offline deccie

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 02:05:43 AM »
Phoo, paypal are expensive..

We have both got one paypal card attached to one account - instant sending - just the daily limit issue

2/ My apologies for not being clearer  - the question refers to when trying to transfer larger sums - bigger than daily limits

We have a series of 'top up cards attached to  UK Bank's  - ( instant ) but just want a swift, cheaper bank to bank transfer

I'm reluctant to recommend international transfers simply because we have had so many banks steal from us.  Heck, even Anna's mum has lost more than 300,000 rubles to the banks.

Offline msmob

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 05:17:01 AM »
Scary. Hence I like having many UK cards I can transfer to

Offline BillyB

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 10:51:19 PM »
BillyB, we just gave the step-son a debit card form our local bank.(separate account with minimum amount to keep it open). IF there's a problem he would call and explain the need and we fill that account with needed funds.  Minimal expense.

Just the expense of converting the money when pulling it out of an ATM in the FSU?

If you trust the M-i-L give her a Paypal card - linked to your account - She can pay for the building materials by card?

Conversion fees too? As long as the Paypal card have the right logos on it like VISA, she can use the card on some retail outlets.

What niche market are you targeting - as *I* thought the PC market was dead?  IF I'm not wrong, the 'future' is in IoT devices - internet of things..

I tried to build computers that the retail outlets sell but they don't sell well. Easy to think the PC market is dead but I figured out the kind of PC that's in demand. Labor to build them isn't bad. If all the components are in front of me, I can put a computer together in 15 minutes and turn it on. Download software takes more time.

I'm in Russia - working with some great programmers - and the tricks a tiny computer -  the size of my thumb can do ....

A tiny computer has limited space. It can't do all the tricks in the book. Can't fit components inside the tiny case to do video editing, do virtual reality, play AAA games or adequately mine for Bitcoin.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 11:22:24 PM »
Thanks for the response BillyB

My tiny cimputers are designed to work in places where electricity is at a premium or off battery power and or where space is tight and cooling is not possible.

The UK version of the Paypal card is a Mcard and of course subject to the prevailing Mcard conversion rates.

It is cheaper to use in terminals than withdrawing cash

If you need to withdraw cash and hit the daily limit issue, if one has more than one card on the account, both can be used to double the limit.

Offline AkMike

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 11:27:39 PM »
Yes Billy just the minimal expense from the ATM. It was quick and easy.

Offline deccie

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 03:07:19 AM »
We also had a problem with ATM's/Bankomats. Had a Sverbank ATM deduct cash from my Australian bank account but payout nothing during a transaction. Needless to say we contested the transaction with the bank back home but Sverbank didn't refund anything  of course.

Offline rockford75

• Married And Loving it!!!
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 11:57:25 PM »
[/
quote]  Actually no it will not be a problem. Russia has there own system in place to process payments. read here

http://www.rt.com/business/217803-cbr-swift-alternative-system/

Offline msmob

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 12:26:13 AM »
rockford75 - the article refers to DOMESTIC Swift alternatives - not transferring money
internationally

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541014
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1864
Total: 1875

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Today at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM