It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Obituary - dbneeley  (Read 16013 times)

Offline mobob

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Obituary - dbneeley
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:12:38 PM »
I write tonight of my friend David, known here as dbneeley.

David died yesterday; he was buried today in Donetsk, Ukraine. As related to me by a third party, he died as a result of complications due to diabetes and several surgeries last month. He leaves behind his wife and stepson in Ukraine, and a son and grandchild(ren) in the USA.

I met David on a forum last year, just a short while before my first trip to Ukraine. Through a flurry of emails and Skype, he provided a wealth of advice, information and suggestions that served to enable and enhance my first trip to meet my future wife and family.

In the short time I knew David, he became a lifelong friend and comrade. We chatted on Skype countless times, but never enough. The time zones and work schedules were difficult to coordinate. I check my email during the day at work – stolen moments on my iPhone – and was always delighted when there was a short note or several chapters from him waiting. Some days the emails were constant throughout the day, exchanging thoughts and ideas. It was a little difficult to get any work done talking back and forth.

We were only able to meet face to face once, upon my first trip's arrival at Donetsk airport. I can't describe how reassuring it was to hear 'Hello, welcome to Ukraine' in English with a bit of Texas drawl after such a long trip into unknown territory.

David was many things to many people. I will remember him as a man who cared about others, always willing to help, to give and share all he could. Above that, I shall remember him as a man who dearly loved his wife, family and adopted country.

I couldn't be there to give a proper farewell to a fellow veteran. He deserved and earned an honor guard, salute and flag. So tonight,  my salute to you, David, I raise a glass of Ukrainian samogon.

Poka, my friend, poka.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:09:24 PM by Admin »

Offline Rubicon

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Obituary - dbneeley
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:26:22 PM »
This is a big shock to me and I am very sad to hear of this news.  I've never met David but we did exchange a few private messages.  David was an articulate writer and a very kind man.  He was a kind soul and he will be dearly missed.

God bless you David; and my condolences to your wife and family.

Offline Simoni

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 08:36:18 PM »
This is really sad news, mobob.

I'm so sorry to hear this; but thanks for sharing.

I suppose one of the reasons I likely won't live year round in Ukraine is medical care.    As we get older, there will be more health challenges, and the US hospitals are much better than those in Ukraine.

I wish David had received better treatment...

-30-

Offline jj

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 08:39:43 PM »
so sorry to hear about David.  May his family be comforted at this time.  As a retired vet, I also salute David for his service to country. jj

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 09:16:13 PM »
I write tonight of my friend David, known here as dbneeley.

David died yesterday; he was buried today in Donetsk, Ukraine. As related to me by a third party, he died as a result of complications due to diabetes and several surgeries last month. He leaves behind his wife and stepson in Ukraine, and a son and grandchild(ren) in the USA.

I met David on a forum last year, just a short while before my first trip to Ukraine. Through a flurry of emails and Skype, he provided a wealth of advice, information and suggestions that served to enable and enhance my first trip to meet my future wife and family.

In the short time I knew David, he became a lifelong friend and comrade. We chatted on Skype countless times, but never enough. The time zones and work schedules were difficult to coordinate. I check my email during the day at work – stolen moments on my iPhone – and was always delighted when there was a short note or several chapters from him waiting. Some days the emails were constant throughout the day, exchanging thoughts and ideas. It was a little difficult to get any work done talking back and forth.

We were only able to meet face to face once, upon my first trip's arrival at Donetsk airport. I can't describe how reassuring it was to hear 'Hello, welcome to Ukraine' in English with a bit of Texas drawl after such a long trip into unknown territory.

David was many things to many people. I will remember him as a man who cared about others, always willing to help, to give and share all he could. Above that, I shall remember him as a man who dearly loved his wife, family and adopted country.

I couldn't be there to give a proper farewell to a fellow veteran. He deserved and earned an honor guard, salute and flag. So tonight,  my salute to you, David, I raise a glass of Ukrainian samogon.

Poka, my friend, poka.

mobob,

Thank you VERY much for allowing us to be aware of this sad, sad news.

I have followed David's posts for a number of years - mostly on the St. Johns List. He was clearly among the most intelligent of the members posting, and tended more toward being a moderate voice even while in the midst of a heated dispute.

David and I have exchanged a number of PMs in recent months on numerous topics. I am genuinely saddened to learn of his passing.

My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

- Dan

Offline Jumper

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:30:30 PM »
Truly sorry to hear this news.

Rest in Peace David,
and thoughts, prayers, and condolences to his family.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 09:44:54 PM »
Mobob

That is a fine tribute to your friend and a friend to many here myself included. I'm saddened at the news and had no idea even though he spoke freely of his recent health concern. David left a great deal of advice in this forum. He is missed already. Please relay our sincerest condolences to his family.

Offline acctBill

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 10:11:25 PM »
RIP dbneeley.  My condolences to his wife, stepson and loved ones.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 10:39:38 PM »
This really sad news for me. I liked David very much. I had great respect for his intelligence and intellect. About a month ago I sent him a pm suggesting he start a blog on his economic and political views. I told him that his posts on certain issues were superior in their analysis than what I read on other blogs by nationally known writers. He was quite pleased with my compliment and he told me he had thought of doing this.

It wasn't but a few weeks ago he wrote a thread about his health issues and offered his suggestions to us men on what to watch out for. I knew him to be a giving person and this was more evidence of this.

I will miss him. A good good man.

Maxx

Offline Boethius

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »
Wow.  A few days ago, when David hadn't posted for a while, I wondered if perhaps he had passed away, and thought I was overreacting.  This is truly sad news.

Like others here, I always enjoyed David's posts.  He was extremely intelligent and thoughtful.  May he rest in peace.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Kuna

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 03:52:35 AM »
I'm very shocked and saddened to read of David's passing. 

His participation here was a highlight and after just reading back on his posts I'm surprised he was a member for only a short time.

Certainly we've lost a fine man amongst us.

My thoughts and prayers are with him,  his wife and his family.

As you have a chance it'd be fitting to read back on his recent posts and his advice to us all to check our health before issues become problems,  as this advice he leaves behind will certainly benefit those who listen.

RIP David.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 04:00:48 AM »
He always struck me as a really great guy who bent over backwards to help and to provide good information.  I am quite saddened to hear the news.  It should be a reminder to all of us about how fragile life is and a reminder to make the best of each day we get.

Offline wicheese

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 05:01:46 AM »
I had communicated a little with David in regular email and knew he was not doing too well!  He also seemed to be one who tried to help others and sometimes came across as outspoken, but never seemed to cross any lines that is so easy to do on forums like this.

What I really feel bad about was the effort by the management of another forum to publicly discredit him. If they had taken time to know all the reasons why certain events happen, they should have owed him a public apology and it goes to show that some people take these forums TOO serious as it's just a portal for information, to hopefully help others avoid mistakes we might have made in the past and in helping others, that's where David always excelled and I send him a belated thanks!

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:40:12 AM by wicheese »

Offline Gator

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 05:30:34 AM »
When David joined RWD, he posted this to introduce himself .  It says much about the man.  Although he did not live a long life, it seems he lived a full life and still found time to smell the roses.

I have been asked to write an introduction. Just as so many ladies say in their online profiles, it is difficult to describe myself with any sort of comfort or felicity--but I'll give it a shot.

Many of you here already know me--or at least my online version!--from other Internet forums and lists. I'm David Neeley (and from my user name you will see I use my own name rather than the more colorful kinds of pseudonyms...more out of habit these days, but also probably because my creativity doesn't seem to extend to self-naming in that fashion). I live as an expatriate in Donetsk, Ukraine, with my wife and stepson. If it matters, somehow I find myself 61 years old and I have both a son and a grand-daughter back in Texas.

I am essentially retired on a small disability pension; my wife Irina still actively practices as an anesthesiologist and critical care physician in the primary OB/GYN hospital in Donetsk. Her title translates to "Physician of the Highest Rank"--which is no small accomplishment in the system here, by the way. My stepson Feodor is now in his second year at the Donetsk National Technical University where he is an engineering student.

Before moving to Donetsk, I lived in Texas--most immediately from Dallas.

I spent about ten years practicing law--about two thirds or so of my practice was family law, about a fifteen or twenty percent was dealing with immigration...but many years ago now. The last two years of my practice was actually about half immigration stuff, but very little before that. When I got my own divorce, my interest in practicing law essentially evaporated. After that, I worked mostly as a writer and editor for various companies in the States--working in technical and marketing communications. I also did some IT consulting, training, and a few other roles from time to time along the way.

I participate in these lists mostly for a very simple reason: I believe strongly in the "pay it forward" philosophy, and I well remember all the help I received when I was embarking on this fascinating journey.

In my posts, I try to introduce a level of common sense coupled with some understanding of the "conditions on the ground" over here. At the same time, I always try to remember that these threads have a life of their own, and are often read by newcomers long after the discussion may have moved on. Thus, some of my posts may have more detail than would strictly be necessary to respond to the original poster's query--but which I think may prove useful to someone encountering the discussion later on.

Still, I am learning every day and have no claim to having the absolute last word on any given topic. I can only share the knowledge and experience I may have, which may in fact run counter to your own at times. It can often be extremely enlightening to discover divergent experiences--which are far more common when dealing with the bureaucracy than we might like...and that is true here in the FSU just as it is in every other country of which I am aware!

Finally, I have been active politically for many years now--and maintain a strong interest even now. Thus, for those who like to rant about political issues, you may be sure I am not a shrinking violet who will wilt and blow away at the slightest controversy.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:33:09 AM by Gator »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 07:26:18 AM »
Mrs Mendeleyeva and I are saddened with this news. He was an intelligent and compassionate man, always ready to help his fellow traveler.

May God give comfort to his family and may his memory be eternal.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 07:33:39 AM »
Condolences and prayers to David's family and friends. May David find peace wherever he may be.

My gratitude and appreciation for the short time he shared with everyone here and out of it.

Godspeed.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Muzh

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 07:36:13 AM »
Like Boethius, I thought David was being rather quiet as of lately. I'm saddened to hear the news.

Even though we butted heads quite often we did it in a very civilized way,sort of an intellectual challenge. I did skype with him a couple of times and laughed a lot about incidents (non-political) that had happened to us. I've known David since the early days of St. John's and he helped me a lot.

I'll miss you David.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 07:38:29 AM »
Agree w/Dan above ...
David lent balance and moderation to RWD... no matter how tenuous the subject.
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline Gylden

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 07:52:13 AM »
Very sad indeed.

Offline GoodOlBoy

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 08:13:10 AM »
R.I.P.

GOB
“For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo......... Geronimo E.K.I.A.”

Offline ML

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 08:51:52 AM »
I have just learned that on June 8, 2011 David Neeley passed away. 
The cause of death was complications from long-term diabetes.  David was an active participant in many of the forums that discuss relationships with women from the FSU.  He lived in Ukraine with his wife.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Rubicon

• Banned Member
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 09:49:58 AM »
ManLooking,

We learned of this news yesterday evening.  Look below and you will see that everybody has been posting something under "Obiturary dbneely".

You may wish to add your thoughts there.

Offline CanadaMan

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 10:29:54 AM »
I would like to offer my condolences to David's family on the passing of a most wonderful man.

I too will miss David.
Although he was a member of RWD for a relatively short period of time his posts were always thoughtful, full of compassion and reasoned advice.

RIP David.

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 10:30:27 AM »
David would laugh when, through a Yahoo board PM, I would tell him, "I showed up to get my annual dose of dbneeley..."

David was one of the most insightful men I never met. May he rest in peace.

Offline Lily

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 11:15:34 AM »
Oh my goodness, what a shock  :'( I cannot believe this.

He was one of the most interesting and insightful posters. We emailed each other privately.

What a loss for the community  :'(

R.I.P David  :'(
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2262
Total: 2273

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM