It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: A RW video insight into the U.S.  (Read 16888 times)

Offline Lily

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
A RW video insight into the U.S.
« on: December 03, 2012, 12:25:08 PM »
Today I found an interesting blog of a Russian woman about her life in the U.S.  Sorry Russian only!
Especially I liked her thoughts about the looks of American women:

Interpretation:
As a rule, appearance of an AW depends on a place where she lives. That means, if a woman lives in a big city, it is likely that she takes pride in her appearance. Downtown, you probably seldom see an outrageously sloppy woman, and if you see them, they would likely be tourists :) . Also, appearance depends on the person's wealth and level of education. An educated and well-paid woman is likely to watch what she is eating, and to resort to a numerous fitness and beauty establishments. A city like NY has a developed beauty industry that attracts many good looking women. Therefore, the big city women usually look very good.
In the U.S., you will see a number of ethnic areas that show a variety of diverse people. For example, in Brighton you see the old Soviet -type looking women with tasteless perhydrol-dyed hair. Lots of Mexicans will not look like your hot tempered beautiful brunettes from the movies, but they are rather short stocky sexless creatures with no defined neck on their shoulders.
The remote American areas are very different. There, you see many real fat women who wear sweat pants and go out with unwashed hair. The dark skinned women are as a rule fat, with huge butt and breasts, they love colorful clothes. If a white woman gets weight, she totally loses her feminine forms. The black women like to wear bright catchy clothes. It is very entertaining to watch them dressed up when they go to church.
The small American towns are divided into white and black areas. You can see black people in the white quarters, but you won't see a white person in the black areas.
Make up: the women here are rather cautious about using it, except when for occasions. Women tend to use fine accessories rather than bright cosmetics.
Interesting observations about the libraries. You may think that it is mostly for the educated people who should look accordingly, but in reality you will see the same ungroomed hair in the American libraries.
Overall in the U.S., there are much more fat people. They prefer to stuff themselves with cheap hamburger then to go and buy perhaps slightly more expensive but healthy food. Obese people are usually poorer and less educated. Look at the movies that were made before the 1980x when America had no fastfood. Those of you who come here throught Work and Travel, be cautious with what you eat. Some of our friends gained weight.
Another remarkable people are older women. They usually have neat haircuts, fine accessories, nice outfits, and they drive!

The part on the American men follows. ;)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:58:25 PM by Lily »
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline Daveman

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: A RW video insight into the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
Lily,
There seems to be something missing...  ;)
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Offline Gylden

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 12:46:27 PM »
Hello Lily,
Did you mean to post a link?

Offline Lily

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 12:53:19 PM »
Oh sorry, thank you so much for telling me that! Improved it!

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 12:59:05 PM »
Lily, any chance at a summary in English, or, are the pictures in the video self-explanatory?
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline Misha

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 03:32:23 PM »
She was of course more critical about the women (their looks and dress) than she was of the "average Joe." What does she say about the average guy? Well, he gives to charity, will give used clothes to the Salvation Army and the like, will have beer in his fridge and will have one or two after work, though she doesn't see drunk men passed out in the street, the men dress better in large cities, more relaxed in smaller cities, but they shower regularly even in small cities and she hasn't noticed too often bad body odour...

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 03:36:50 PM »
Seems like a rather accurate observation of Americans.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Gator

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 08:57:34 PM »
Lily,

I appreciate the time you spent in preparing an interpretation.

Frequently visitors to our country see things that the locals miss or just accept without thinking about it as unusual.

Offline Lily

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 08:51:03 AM »
What does she say about the average guy? Well, he gives to charity, will give used clothes to the Salvation Army and the like, will have beer in his fridge and will have one or two after work, though she doesn't see drunk men passed out in the street, the men dress better in large cities, more relaxed in smaller cities, but they shower regularly even in small cities and she hasn't noticed too often bad body odour...
Alomst forgot to interpret her comments about an average American guy, sorry for the delay :) Hope that everyone survived the end of the world :)
An idea about an average Joe would, in her opinion, be very approximate, in the first place, because everyone's ancestors came here to live from different parts of the world. This gives an average Joe a recognizable imprint of his ethnicity, first of all. At the same time, the author did not noticed that most Americans cherish their ethnic traditions and actually speak the language of their ancestors. 
The author is often asked a question, what do the Americans think of Russians? Well, the Americans do not treat Russians differently than any other people. The Americans are used to have a big variety of ethnic people around them, therefore being Russian would not ring a particular bell with the locals. The Americans are very tolerant with someone who is different from them.
There is a tendency to think that the American men are so intimidated by the feminists that they are reluctant to hold the door or to give a hand to a woman. Perhaps this would rather be true in the 1970x, when the feminism was at its peak. Now this is generally less pronounced. Men in public are rather helpful and polite, not necessarily towards a woman, but to people generally. It is all right if an unknown person just says hello to you right on a street, or tells you something nice about you. Especially if you have somnething really nice on you, like an accessory, people tend to notice and tell you a compliment.
The Americans are very conscious about the environment, and caring about the place that surrounds them. All families sort out their garbage. Also, they are willing to give to charity, even if someone tends to be a cautious spender on themselves.
Similar to women, the way that American man grooms and dresses depends on the place where they live. A big city man takes pride in his appearance and may be a real eye feast. As for the smaller localities, the men generally show a little better appearance than the same women. Whereas a number of small town women look rather sloppily dressed and groomed, then men however still look more or less okay. At least they don't exude an awkward smell from their bodies. The personal hygiene is at the good level here, they use to shower themselves twice daily.
The education of an average Joe would be, in author's opinion, also at the average level. She does not speak about any university educated intellectuals, but rather just about ordinary people. They exhibit some intellectual gaps in the area of history anf geography, in her opinion. Also they don't show much interest in different cultures, or in the international politics that has no impact on themselves. Basically, they are interested in things that have an immediate relation to them. Just like the Russian men.
Smoking and drinking. In the U.S., tobacco is very expensive, and many places do not allow smoking, so there are few smokers and this is generally not developed into a habit. Almost everyone drinks a couple of beers after a workday. Nevertheless, the author has not seen drunk people laying around on the streets.
To mention any negative traits that she noticed in Americans, well, there are also idiots and brute or dirty minded people here. However, they are as many as in any other coutries or cultures. In the U.S., there are certain bars where the people of a similar caliber get together, for example, the rednecks. Think of a movie when a newcomer enters the bar and every man looks down at him. Such bars are indeed a reality here.

Offline ML

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 10:32:12 AM »
The personal hygiene is at the good level here, they use to shower themselves twice daily.

Almost everyone drinks a couple of beers after a workday.

- - - - - - -

Few people shower twice a day.  And this is not even necessary to maintain excellent hygiene.

And, few people have a couple of beers after work or at anytime during any given day.  I know of no one who even has any alcoholic beverage on a daily basis.

We just drank 3/4 bottle of wine last evening; but that is about a twice a month event.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Shostakovich

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 09:42:54 PM »
Lilly - long time ...

The obesity epidemic in the US is really quite something.  On the street my attention is normally attracted, naturally, by the attractive people and so I don't really notice so much of what else goes around.  But the statistics of the fat problem in the US appear from time to time and so I decided to do an informal study.  Keep in mind that, according to the stats, that 70% in the US are overweight and 30% are obese - which seems incredible.  I live in downtown Phoenix these days: which mixes an almost obsessive attitude with fitness and appearance with a more careless attitude about health.  The counting study confirms the estimates and it is really quite incredible when it hits you.  The fat problem and the general lack of style in the US is completely evident upon returning from an international trip.

But the thing that is really the most astonishing about the fat problem is the attitude that stands behind it.  It is if the overweight think that their station is somehow the token of a virtue: that they have escaped the superficial attitude of vanity that their more healthy and good looking comrades have become ensnared with.  But it is really quite crazy.  There is an obsess fellow on our staff, a talented engineer, who will not change his diet despite type II diabetes, now divorced, always sick, with a smell from medicinal soaps to kill bacteria that grows in the folds of his skin.  He just likes his chips and soda, he says.

But I am hopeful here.  The US does not have the polish and finesse  of Europe but we are good at solving practical problems.  While Europe and the FSU loves to point and laugh at the fatties in the US they still smoke like chimneys and in the FSU, live in those dreadful apartment blocks - on par with the projects built in the big US cities for the desperately poor.  All other things being equal, my prediction is that in 20 years this epidemic will be defeated in the US.

Also, as a challenge to the OP and all the others who seek beauty abroad:  about 70% of US males are overweight whereas 57% of US females are overweight.  What goes around comes around and the lithe and lovely FSU ladies often gain 10-20kg upon arrival here, as they adopt the habits of their overweight husbands.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 09:43:12 PM »
The personal hygiene is at the good level here, they use to shower themselves twice daily.

Almost everyone drinks a couple of beers after a workday.

- - - - - - -

Few people shower twice a day.  And this is not even necessary to maintain excellent hygiene.

And, few people have a couple of beers after work or at anytime during any given day.  I know of no one who even has any alcoholic beverage on a daily basis.

We just drank 3/4 bottle of wine last evening; but that is about a twice a month event.

Really ML? You must not get out much or have few friends. Many people drink alcohol daily

Offline Lily

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 07:50:37 AM »

Also, as a challenge to the OP and all the others who seek beauty abroad:  about 70% of US males are overweight whereas 57% of US females are overweight.  What goes around comes around and the lithe and lovely FSU ladies often gain 10-20kg upon arrival here, as they adopt the habits of their overweight husbands.
Nice to see you Shosty!  :D
Really, I don't see that many overweight people around me that would amount to the numbers that you mentioned. Still, women appear to be slightly more problematic in this area than men.
If someone gains 10-20 kg during her life, it probably would have been even without relocation to the West.  Vice versa, I have yet to see a woman who gained even some 5-7 kg after her immigration to Canada or USA. Nevertheless, I know people who gained weight as they approach the age of 45-55, though, without changing their habits and / or without relocation.
 Overall, I think that the whole weight program would be rather sitting in the personal genes than in the diet.

Offline Belvis

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 08:07:51 AM »
Overall, I think that the whole weight program would be rather sitting in the personal genes than in the diet.
I would dispute  the genes are involved here. Rather food and eating habits during childhood and pubescence.

Offline Shostakovich

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 09:15:49 AM »
I don't see that many overweight people around me that would amount to the numbers that you mentioned. Still, women appear to be slightly more problematic in this area than men.
If someone gains 10-20 kg during her life, it probably would have been even without relocation to the West.  Vice versa, I have yet to see a woman who gained even some 5-7 kg after her immigration to Canada or USA. Nevertheless, I know people who gained weight as they approach the age of 45-55, though, without changing their habits and / or without relocation.

No doubt there is a variance by region.  As I recall you are in Toronto, which is a bit more moderate than other regions in N. America.  My perception is that Canada in general does not have a problem of the same magnitude as we do in the US.  As for the 10-20kg gain: this is anecdotal though have heard it from several R/U women who know ladies who have come here.  The gain is over a 1 year period.  I suppose the members of this forum would be able to better comment as their experience is wider.  Genetics plays the role in weight gain for certain but it does not explain a 70% overweight problem.  This is clearly lifestyle.

Offline ML

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 11:39:57 AM »

No doubt there is a variance by region.  As I recall you are in Toronto, which is a bit more moderate than other regions in N. America.  My perception is that Canada in general does not have a problem of the same magnitude as we do in the US.  As for the 10-20kg gain: this is anecdotal though have heard it from several R/U women who know ladies who have come here.  The gain is over a 1 year period.  I suppose the members of this forum would be able to better comment as their experience is wider.  Genetics plays the role in weight gain for certain but it does not explain a 70% overweight problem.  This is clearly lifestyle.

Eating habits, exercise habits, rate of metabolism, and genetics.  All four play a role in weight gain or lack of gaining.  The relative influence of these 4 factors vary from person to person.

My Gal and I have experienced an interesting combination.

She has gotten more and more into the exercise mode since her arrival.  She now participates in daily exercises which rotate around walking, weight lifting, and Pilates.  Also, she spied a hula hoop during a trip through the Mall about a month ago and has added it to her daily routines.

On the days we do weight lifting, we take turns at each station.  When she is performing a routine, I collapse into the chair.  When I am performing a routine,  she stands and completes 80-100 turns of the hula hoop !!   :-[

It was quite funny watching her try to get the hula hoop to work.  Then one day, she proudly told me she made 12 circles; a few days later she reported 30, then 100; and then 1,000.  I didn't believe her (she was doing this before I got out of bed in mornings) . . . until she demonstrated it during our weight lifting day.

Anyway, the good news is she is maintaining her slender body, and it is firming up with muscle tone etc., despite fact she eats as much as me who is 5 inches taller.  Bad news is, I am gaining weight because she puts too much good food forward.  I have no self control.  My genetics and hers, and my metabolism and hers, are toward opposite ends of the spectrum.

She claims to like my growing pot gut.  Perhaps it is the role reversal wherein she thinks that by making me more unattractive, it keeps other women away.  I have known men who tell their wives they don't mind her porking on several pounds; with the real reason being a desire to repel other men from her.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Larry1

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »
Wow!, Lily, I kept reading your post and with every sentence I thought your observations were spot on. You have obviously spent a good deal of time here and are extremely observant.

Offline Lily

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 07:20:41 AM »
Larry1, these are not my observations but merely my translation of what other RW think of the Americans.

Offline Lily

Video of a RW and her AM husband
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 05:56:55 AM »
Here is just one clip from the video channel of a RW who now lives in Fl with her AM husband. We can watch him speaking and even singing!  :clapping:

Offline Ade

Re: Video of a RW and her AM husband
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 07:23:03 AM »
Here is just one clip from the video channel of a RW who now lives in Fl with her AM husband. We can watch him speaking and even singing!  :clapping:

Lol, what's with all the flowers on the kitchen cupboards?  :)

My wife's favorite blog is written by a Russian woman living with her American husband and their new daugher. Some interesting stuff there for new parents; http://prebabyblog.com

Offline Lily

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 08:05:45 AM »

My wife's favorite blog is written by a Russian woman living with her American husband and their new daugher. Some interesting stuff there for new parents; http://prebabyblog.com

Thanks for the link Ade - this RW-AM couple looks good together!

lordtiberius

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 11:30:10 AM »
Is there a Russian language link?  Thank you in advance

Offline Lily

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 06:07:23 PM »
Is there a Russian language link?  Thank you in advance

A Russian language link on what?

Offline Ade

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 02:02:56 AM »

Thanks for the link Ade - this RW-AM couple looks good together!

She's a clever woman and has an interesting way of writing. It's where my wife first heard about Baby Led Weaning and after doing some research it's how we decided to wean our daughter. :)

Offline Lily

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 10:13:24 AM »
A Floridian husband of a RW is being interviewed here:

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2013, 01:48:30 PM »
Not true science but when in an American grocery store checkout line and you see some obese people look to see what they are buying. And if a chance look at food stamp buyers. Not so pleasant.

Offline Lily

RW in Florida on the beach
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »
Same RW who is married to a Floridian films her RW friends on a beach :)

Offline Gator

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »
Lily,
The beach scene shows the sugar sand and gentle surf we have in SW Florida. 

Your video proves smetana and bread are available in the US for Russian diet.  ;) Although some RW may have gained a few kilos, the video did show one beached whale, presumably an AW (perhaps one of Eduard's friends when he dated AW).

When taking my wife and family to the beach, they tend to prefer the more developed (hence crowded) beaches.  I have always sought the less crowded beaches.

Offline vwrw

• Each post of mine is expression of MHO, not a fact
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 03:10:53 PM »
Sveta is hotty  8) Did I get it right that she is married to the man who wants to buy a house ?

Other ladies seem to care little about their weight.

I loved how the author of this video asked her friends to compliment her husband on his efforts to do something. She said I compliment my husband on things he does and ask all my friends to do so because it affects him. Nice!
If you don't understand something, why the other person is the idiot?
~ A member of this forum.

Offline Ooooops

• Trips: No Selection
Re: RW in Florida on the beach
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 08:21:38 PM »
Same RW who is married to a Floridian films her RW friends on a beach :)

I love soft Ukranian accent when they speak Russian.   :D

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1863
Total: 1874

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM