It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML  (Read 317181 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Wife is back in classroom
« Reply #1150 on: August 31, 2021, 07:58:48 AM »
Ochka decided not to teach anything for Fall and Spring 2020-21.
This was due to Covid concerns and my health issues (broken ribs and clavicle).

Now, despite Covid still here, she is back in University classroom for
Fall 2021 as a Graduate Teaching Assistant.  (Note: this title is somewhat misleading as most such have full responsibility for the class; not just helping regular professors)

She and all students are wearing masks.

Also there is strict adherence to seating assignments.
This is due to reporting requirements if any student develops Covid.
In that case, professors must report the names of students sitting beside, in front of and in back of those students.

Office hours are conducted via Zoom.

Wife has completed everything for PhD except dissertation which she is working on.

Now a very big job is to search for job openings for Fall 2022 and submit applications along with a ton of supplemental info.

Guess who gets to do that latter job !!!

There is some possibility that she will be able to get a job right here at the University, even as all Universities have a dislike for (and some even have absolute rules against) hiring back their own students.  The idea is to achieve genetic (in the academic sense) diversity of thought, rather than inbreeding.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML
« Reply #1151 on: August 31, 2021, 08:34:38 AM »
Really great to hear all is well, with your ol' bones recovering, and your wife going far with her career! 

I assume she loves her calling, so great to hear she can get back in the classroom again.

IIRC jb's wife is also a PhD, prof at some university down south.  Haven't heard from him despite sending an email. Hope they are doing well.  Have you heard from him recently?

Offline ML

« Reply #1152 on: August 31, 2021, 08:44:14 AM »
I assume she loves her calling, so great to hear she can get back in the classroom again.

Yes, wife can't imagine doing any job other than teaching.
And it has one big advantage that most FSU folks desire . . . 2-3 months free in summer to return to visit family and friends.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #1153 on: August 31, 2021, 08:47:04 AM »
IIRC jb's wife is also a PhD, prof at some university down south.  Haven't heard from him despite sending an email. Hope they are doing well.  Have you heard from him recently?

Haven't seen him anywhere for several years.

I don't think his wife has PhD.
I think she taught at Junior College or High School.
I remember jb telling about helping to grade her Algebra tests.

Our current poster 'Steamer' has FSU wife with PhD in math also.

Offline BC

« Reply #1154 on: August 31, 2021, 09:29:33 AM »
Yes, wife can't imagine doing any job other than teaching.
And it has one big advantage that most FSU folks desire . . . 2-3 months free in summer to return to visit family and friends.

Not only FSU folks.  My father was a teacher, and we always enjoyed the summer months on long travels.  Some summers we would live near a university where dad would further his studies. Even drove across the USA and back to the east coast. We kids knew how to set up a 2 BR tent in a few minutes.  Many, many good experiences as a kid.  Only downside was that few cars back then had air conditioning, and ours did not.  Old station wagon with a big rack on the top for all the camping gear.  Later a VW van with even larger rack with more camping stuff, LOL.

Offline ML

« Reply #1155 on: August 31, 2021, 10:50:15 AM »
  Only downside was that few cars back then had air conditioning, and ours did not. 

Yes, none of my parent's cars back then had A/C.
But it didn't really bother us.
Windows were the A/C of the day.
Now, I get allergy problems if I drive even a few miles with windows down as my truck's A/C is on the fritz.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #1156 on: August 31, 2021, 07:35:52 PM »
Now, I get allergy problems if I drive even a few miles with windows down as my truck's A/C is on the fritz.

Compressor not turning on or turning on but not blowing very cold? Get UV leak detector to see if there's a leak somewhere. Low pressure will prevent the compressor turning on. Fix the leak. Get a cheap vacuum pump like the one in the link below to get the atmosphere out of the system before you install new A/C refrigerant. I can direct you to a youtube video for step by step instructions if you need.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-61245.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12144811130&campaignid=12144811130&utm_content=117789273518&adsetid=117789273518&product=61245&store=190&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpreJBhDvARIsAF1_BU1hbthtUKerN6Wty44tVUpoRtyCKqCv5zaX1VIsJx33oJIk7uUJSkIaAkxFEALw_wcB
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

Amazing Para-Olympic results for Ukraine
« Reply #1157 on: September 06, 2021, 08:49:14 AM »

Rank Team   Gold    Silver Bronze    Total
1.   China   96   60   51   207
2.   GBritain   41   38   45   124
3.   RPC    36   33   49   118
4.   USA    37   36   31   104
5.   Ukraine   24   47   27   98

Wife is continually amazed at what these Ukrainian folks achieve given that virtually no government help is provided; and the attitude of most Ukrainians toward handicapped people is  . . . they should stay home and out of the way.

Offline BC

« Reply #1158 on: September 06, 2021, 11:03:05 AM »
Driven is a word I can use to describe UA folks I have known and work with for the last 20+ years.  Very motivated to get ahead in life.

Offline ML

How could Ida skip from New Orleans to New York City ??
« Reply #1159 on: September 07, 2021, 07:38:07 AM »
Could someone explain how Ida mostly skipped over Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Ohio and western Pennsylvania . . . and then hit hard in Philadelphia, New Jersey and New York City ??

What 'big guy or gal' said:  "OK let's hold all that water up in the sky until we get to NY "  and then was able to pull it off ?

Offline ML

Where were you on 9/11/2001
« Reply #1160 on: September 11, 2021, 05:59:37 PM »
I was in St Petersburg, Russia on a consulting assignment and NOT chasing RW.

Offline CaptB

« Reply #1161 on: September 11, 2021, 06:57:59 PM »
I was in Tver, Russia on 9/11. I was in the office of LTP (Lifetime Partners) talking to my friend Chuck. The news was on...on the offie tv when the announcement came on. We thought it was a comedy  sketch. Our Russian friends immediately said this was a "real" news report.....a plane had crashed into the trade center buildings. I had to stay in Russia for an extra week as fights coming from abroad were canceled.

My friend JB was also in Russia (Moscow) at the time. He had to go back (on time)as he was teaching a group of oil mining workers classes in technical aspects of locating oil.
He made it back to the US the long way. He took a train to Helsinki....a plane to London.....then to London, Ontario........a bus to Detroit.......then flew to Houston. I was happy to stay the extra week.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline ML

College Football week 2
« Reply #1162 on: September 12, 2021, 09:51:17 AM »
Unranked Stanford came down to my USC boys and beat them at home.  Ouch !!

But my U of Iowa team beat cross state rival Iowa State at ISU's home field.  Both teams were ranked in top 10.

I'll bet Ohio State and Texas fans are in quite a bit of shock.

Can Notre Dame maintain 8 ranking after just barely beating weaker teams two weeks in a row?

And, as usual, there was a plethora of stupid matchups.  The big boys should be ashamed of themselves.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #1163 on: September 14, 2021, 09:18:21 AM »

9/11 I was at Caterpillar getting a hydraulic hose. Howard Stern was on their radio. At first I thought it was a joke because it came from Howard.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

Ali Documentary on PBS
« Reply #1164 on: September 23, 2021, 09:52:02 AM »
I recorded all 4 episodes and then only watched the boxing matches.

Most significant take away from the viewing was the tremendous athletic ability of Ali.

He could easily have been an NBA point guard, an NFL quarterback or even a tight end.

Would have been great to see him on Dancing with the Stars in his prime.

Offline ML

Too many Whites and Asians
« Reply #1165 on: October 09, 2021, 10:21:41 AM »
New York City is going to eliminate the Gifted Program in city schools because there are too many Whites and Asians in the program.

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Too many Whites and Asians
« Reply #1166 on: October 10, 2021, 06:01:37 AM »
New York City is going to eliminate the Gifted Program in city schools because there are too many Whites and Asians in the program.

They’re called Magnet Schools in LA, and they’ve been focus of complaints and lawsuits over the years due to the demographic makeshift of its students. Basically the same pains NY went through.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline ML

Offense fireworks vs Defense grind it out
« Reply #1167 on: October 10, 2021, 09:53:10 AM »
I saw both yesterday.

Oklahoma vs Texas

Iowa vs Penn State

I like the offensive showcases.

Offline ML

Latest Covid safety guidelines
« Reply #1168 on: October 24, 2021, 04:06:14 PM »
Fully vaccinated people can take their masks off in the shower . . . if no one else is at home.

Offline ML

Beware with expanding DNA data base
« Reply #1169 on: October 28, 2021, 04:56:21 PM »
We have all heard how the expanding DNA data base has helped in catching criminals . . . decades after the deed.

On a more benign level (perhaps), it is helping to expand families.

I am not into the DNA thingy, but my sister is.

She has now found two new previously unknown close relatives, thanks  to the actions of our male family members.

1. Our Uncle (now deceased for many years) fathered a man, who in turn fathered another man who is my great nephew.  This great nephew was told by his father on his deathbed that who he thought was his grandfather, really wasn't.  This father had heard about it as an adult after his mother passed, but the relatives who told him only had heard the man's last name (same as mine).  Anyway, this (new) grand nephew connected with my sister via the DNA data base.

2) Our brother (tragically killed in an accident 20 years ago) fathered a son . . . his only child (our nephew).  He had first told his suspicions of this to other relatives 25 or so years ago, but none believed him as he was prone to 'tell tales' . . . putting it mildly.  The woman disappeared and he could not find her.  And he shortly thereafter relocated to another city.

Now this (new) nephew and my sister have connected via the DNA data base.

No father was listed on his birth certificate, and his mother would not  talk about it, even as she was on her deathbed a few years back from (something).

Then, in discussions with his grandfather, he was told that the mother first wanted to get an abortion and later changed her mind toward putting him up for adoption, and still later decided to keep him.  She had 'disappeared' because she knew my brother would not have agreed to either.  All the info this grandfather told matched up with what my brother had told all those years ago.

This (new) nephew decided to do the DNA thingy to obtain heath histories (if nothing else), as is often recommended.

Nothing bad has come from my sister's hobby (so far) . . . but as always, be careful what you wish for !!

Can you believe that early on (before she heard the details from this new nephew regarding dates, cities, etc.) . . . she had suspicions that I was the father ??

Stay tuned for more family expansion stories.

Offline ML

Eye candy
« Reply #1170 on: November 28, 2021, 04:05:02 PM »
Had some people over for Thanksgiving.
One very young couple was visiting from Eastern Europe, but not part of FSU.
She is an airline stewardess with looks like used to be required.
Brightened up my day.

Offline ML

Riley wise to go west
« Reply #1171 on: November 29, 2021, 05:06:43 PM »
Good move by Riley.
As Oklahoma moves to SEC, the chances of continued 12-0 or 11-1 seasons goes down the drain.
At USC (one of my schools) he can move them up to 12-0 or 11-1 seasons in short order in the much weaker Pac 12 (compared to SEC).

Overall a really dumb move for OK and TX to go to SEC.
They will never have as good football records in SEC as they have had (OK in particular) in Big 12.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 05:29:26 PM by ML »

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #1172 on: November 29, 2021, 05:32:05 PM »
Time will tell. The coaching carousel seems to take a wild spin every year. This year has been exceptionally fast but the new fresh young hot item coaches from a few years ago are getting tossed like yesterdays trash. Many of these getting the high dollar long term contracts will be given a few years then tossed out on their ear too. I don't blame them, strike while the iron is hot and take the payoff to go away when it doesn't work

Riley is a good coach, not really a great one, yet. He hasn't won anything more than the Big 12. Its rumored USC bought both of his OK houses plus are paying 6 mil toward his Cali house, plus 10 mil a year? Crazy
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 05:34:47 PM by Faux Pas »

Offline Jumper1

« Reply #1173 on: December 01, 2021, 12:09:56 AM »
Really great to hear all is well, with your ol' bones recovering, and your wife going far with her career! 

BC ,yeah I still hear from john, he is doing very well(family is as well)
:)

Offline ML

Get rid of Notre Dame
« Reply #1174 on: December 02, 2021, 07:19:44 PM »
What is this nonsense ?

The management committee studying expansion of football playoffs is comprised of the 10 major college football conference commissioners and Notre Dame’s athletic director.

Sure I know Notre Dame is an independent for football . . . but I would tell them . . . join a league and be represented by a commissioner like every other team . . . or go pee up a rope.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1978
Total: 1987

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM