It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Odesa Dreaming  (Read 27436 times)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Odesa Dreaming
« on: February 07, 2022, 03:36:59 PM »
Ok, so as board members probably know I've got the idea in mind to live out in Odesa for a while, possibly for a long while. Stephen came up with a good idea to do a stint of about 6-8 weeks to start with. That seems a good idea to go with so as to get a feel for whether I would like to be there longer. My guess is that it might be best 6 weeks (45 days approx) then another 6 weeks so as to not have much awkwardness with a 60 day then 30 day on the visa, i.e a long period followed by a shorter one. I can then take a trip home to see family in between for a week or longer possibly depending on how I am feeling, to any girl though it will long like I am there long term. Now ask of this is of course if the Russians don't invade so sone hypothetical stuff going on here. I'm planning to rent for all of that period of course, however I couldn't help but look up current property prices in Odesa (I'll add an s if the Russians invade) and see what can be bought at the moment on the market. The following is a website link with sone examples of what property can be purchased, options vary a bit many though look like the wallpaper could do with a good paint over lol :D

http://realting.com/property-for-sale/ukraine/odessa?page=1&movemap-input=1&slug=property-for-sale&Estate%5Bgeo_id%5D=17954&Estate%5Bcurrency%5D=EUR&sort=-created_at

Some good bargains look like they can be had. The ones that caught my eye was the new build apartment block, €30k ish, a bit outside the city centre but modern in a clean looking area and able to do to own takes. Could make a good compact bachelor pad to operate from and at a cheap price. Downsides for me is that I'm not too keen on height and a bit if a distance outside the city centre.

The other one was a 4 bed apartment between Ocada and Arcadia, so nearer the town centre. Lots of space inside, not sure about outside, a lot of them seem modern along there so possibly not too bad outside. More money of course though €91-92k ish so nearer the £86k mentioned the other day for a good place. Running costs would be higher I'm guessing though if it turned out not there much could rent out a room of the whole flat I guess. That's really the only downside I could immediately see, the upside is potentially impressive flat after a bit of redecorating and near the town centre, down side is going a bit all in so more suitable once with a definite girl I reckon.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 03:38:30 PM by Trenchcoat »
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Steven1971

Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 06:41:31 PM »
Forget about buying for now. Assuming you were living there and things went as you hoped your partner would be living in the same apartment whether it was rented or bought. In the short run you would have a better deal with a rented apartment. Think of it like a fancy phone on a contract or a basic phone you buy outright. The local lad is living in the basic phone apartment.

6 weeks should be enough to tell you if this venture is a boots on the ground mission, but keep in mind unless you are married and apply for residency you would be obliged to stay in Blighty 6 months of the year.

Best case scenario IMO opinion is you meet someone genuine and you correspond afterwards. Meeting in real life is several steps up the trust ladder even if nothing is guaranteed. See how such a scenario pans out and don't get fixated on moving to Ukraine. She might want to come to Blighty in which case have plan B ready.

Buying an apartment in Ukraine you be would be putting all your eggs in the same basket. Your thoughts are all predicated on the best case scenario. Things at some point in life will hit a bump in the road. They always will.

These might be of interest to you:

Note that in the second video they also get food from their family in a village.

In the first video I didn't catch where they live, but it is definitely a provincial city where they don't pay Odesa , Kyiv, Kharkov or Lviv prices.

Steven

PS It's Steven with a V and not Stephen. Yellow card. Please don't get into a Rodney/Dave scenario  ;)

Offline Jumper1

Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 08:06:01 PM »
Steven, you have to keepmin.mund TC is terrified if he brings a hottievtomuk,she will leave him for the first  local gym rat,with a bit of wot to talk her up.

It's one of the founding reasons of his plan to live in Ukraine.

I'm not trying to knock his plan, I actually try to encourage TC.
But I do try to temper his underlying reasons with some cold water when I know they are misplaced.lol.

He has some good reasons for wanting to live there,but I just fear the root one is insecurity in relationships.

Offline cameraguymn

Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 10:10:13 PM »
I would love to live in Odesa for three months. It is an amazing city. I prefer it to Kyiv. I've been there three times in the last 6 months and enjoyed every trip and enjoyed the different hotels.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 11:31:21 PM »
1 room apartment 30 m² in Odessa, Ukraine € 18,352
Efficiency+....Do your laundry while taking care of business----

Keep your beer right below the TV----

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 12:33:21 AM »
You have to be very careful buying an apartment in Odesa.  A lot of the solid, old tsarist time apartments were fully renovated.  They should be solid, they were extremely well built.  However, renovators gutted them in ways that often made them unsafe.  A lot of fly by nighters built new apartments.  No one inspects new builds there, so you really buy on nothing more than faith.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 01:26:36 AM »
You have to be very careful buying an apartment in Odesa.  A lot of the solid, old tsarist time apartments were fully renovated.  They should be solid, they were extremely well built.  However, renovators gutted them in ways that often made them unsafe.  A lot of fly by nighters built new apartments.  No one inspects new builds there, so you really buy on nothing more than faith.

Thanks Boe I appreciate the insight. Tsarist Apartments would probably suit me nicely I think, I love traditional architecture and the history that goes with it. Unfortunate that sone haven't been renovated well. I have some building knowledge but if stuff has been covered up it's not always easy to tell. In that event the best that may be hoped for us the tell tell signs of major structural defects, large cracks rather than just a sudden collapse.

New builds well we saw what happened in Florida so would be hoping not to suffer a sudden collapse like that. The thought is pretty off-putting I've got to say. Probably would rather chance it on old Tsarist Apartments I think. Any idea where they might be located? On the 'love me' documentary where the guy visits the girls who scams him with the dodgy police guy they show a pic over some old style traditional apartments, they look rather nice I think. I kind of think an area on the edge of the city centre and a residential suburb where cheaper groceries could be had would suit me. Tsarist style apartments would not be as high as well which I think would suit me.

I recall when I was at the hotel in Nikolaev, a new build the back emergency escape staircase had all varying step heights lol, never seen anything like it. Would never be allowed in the west in an emergency everyone would be stumbling down then all.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 01:40:18 AM »
I would love to live in Odesa for three months. It is an amazing city. I prefer it to Kyiv. I've been there three times in the last 6 months and enjoyed every trip and enjoyed the different hotels.

I stayed in two different hotels while I was there, both were lovely. One was the Mozart hotel near the Opera House, I'm not into Opera, Ballet or anything but it looked nice and had an English name so easy to tell the taxi driver at the time (before Uber, Uklon, etc in that city). The other hotel I forget it was nice also, a courtyard outside for dining, they did a great breakfast there it was between the beach and the central city/shopping area. Trip was only spoilt by Lot airlines losing/delaying my luggage, it was on a transfer flight through Warsaw. Only 50 mins between transfer so possibly not enough time for my luggage to go through. A direct flight from the UK can be had now so much better.

Anyhow yeah while I like some stuff about Kiev I always like the seaside vibe so Odessa strikes me as a more relaxed feeling place, smaller than Kiev but not too small. I think scenery wise it could be a great place to live.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 02:02:17 AM »
Forget about buying for now. Assuming you were living there and things went as you hoped your partner would be living in the same apartment whether it was rented or bought. In the short run you would have a better deal with a rented apartment. Think of it like a fancy phone on a contract or a basic phone you buy outright. The local lad is living in the basic phone apartment.

6 weeks should be enough to tell you if this venture is a boots on the ground mission, but keep in mind unless you are married and apply for residency you would be obliged to stay in Blighty 6 months of the year.

Best case scenario IMO opinion is you meet someone genuine and you correspond afterwards. Meeting in real life is several steps up the trust ladder even if nothing is guaranteed. See how such a scenario pans out and don't get fixated on moving to Ukraine. She might want to come to Blighty in which case have plan B ready.

Buying an apartment in Ukraine you be would be putting all your eggs in the same basket. Your thoughts are all predicated on the best case scenario. Things at some point in life will hit a bump in the road. They always will.

These might be of interest to you:

Note that in the second video they also get food from their family in a village.

In the first video I didn't catch where they live, but it is definitely a provincial city where they don't pay Odesa , Kyiv, Kharkov or Lviv prices.

Steven

PS It's Steven with a V and not Stephen. Yellow card. Please don't get into a Rodney/Dave scenario  ;)

You're right 'Steven' ;) (sorry never realised there were two spellings of the name) I think renting is a better option in the short term. I can get a very good looking apartment by paying a but of a premium that I can sustain in the short term whereas a local guy like you say will be in a bog standard apartment, which out there is normally pretty bad.

Jumper is correct when he says that I don't want to bring a woman back to the UK, at least not until our relationship is well under way, married, kids, etc. Societal values in the UK aren't great, the whole lot from underpinning relationships through to morals and values. I'm not a real conservative guy (not with a small c or large one) but society is all too often a real destructive situation in the west these days, gender issues, obesity, mental health, attitudes, etc. On top of that guys these days in the UK are rabid for any half decent woman and even for those that aren't so good, the youngsters more so and worse than when I was younger, they'll literally hanker after some girl whose a bit overweight and has mental health issues like depression and/or anxiety with no great personality and think they have won a prize. On top of that there is taking the Ukrainian girl out of her culture, not a step to take lightly I think. Beyond those reasons there is also the fact that many Ukrainian girls want to live locally or at least stay in their own country (apart from during a Russian Invasion). So it kind of makes sense for me to be there. A lot of western men take the stance that she goes to live in the west with him as it's easiest for him and firscin with his life but I just am now thinking after years at this that, that is a flawed mentality in a lot of cases as it can lead to a lot of bad outcomes. While nothing is assured in life I now feel the outcome of a relationship would likely be better if kept in Ukraine. I can get a cheap direct flight back to the UK which is only 3 hours away plus journey time either end to see family so more than doable I think.

Offline Steven1971

Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 03:19:34 AM »
I don't think it will be as straight forward as you think, but I think you need to go (if for no other reason) to get it out of your system. 6 weeks in Odesa should be an education.

What do you think you would be doing to earn money if you were to live there full time?

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 04:55:42 AM »
I don't think it will be as straight forward as you think, but I think you need to go (if for no other reason) to get it out of your system. 6 weeks in Odesa should be an education.

What do you think you would be doing to earn money if you were to live there full time?

You may well be right, but I need to find out first hand and learn. I'm hoping that I will be able to find a bit of go in the idea. I know the rose tinty glass stuff can be a lot different when there. I did nearly two weeks in Lviv, that had its ups and downs. The scenery can can a bit samey after a while but still quite nice . As nice as central Lviv was it was a bit too touristy for my liking, probably a bit better before it had been made too much that way I think. Last time I was in Odesa it was not took bad, a bit touristy but not too bad, not in a kind off theme set way playing over and over again.

Well I will hopefully just be living off independent income while there from renting out the rooms in my house. I will have a few things I will do as a kind of hobby to start with there if only as a work thing that I do so the girl doesn't think I'm lazy, as if ;D

Offline Steven1971

Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 06:08:48 AM »
£450 a month, (just over $600), is not going to get you very far. Even a periodical low cost flight back home with door to door added on is going to take a dent in your finances.

Beyond food, utilities and other shopping you will need an entertainment budget.

Are you going to have a rainy day budget if something happens to your house and you suddenly need £400?

How are you going to meet people? Is this a genuine case of finding someone there you don't know already or meet up with someone you already have contact with?

There is logic to going out there for a few weeks to give yourself a better chance of finding someone, maybe more than once but I'm struggling with the idea that this plan could work long term living in Ukraine.

In addition there is only one way interest rates are going for mortgages and that is up.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 02:39:01 PM »
To the newbies,

You have to ask questions for yourselves now. I am not responding to Trenchcoats
posts just to pass information on to you. He has wasted enough of my time.

If you are too lazy to sign up, become a member and ask your own questions then
you are going to have to learn everything on your own.

Avoid Odessa and Nikolaev, unless you have contacts there. In those cities they have
an entire industry designed to make your wallet lighter.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2022, 02:53:48 PM »

Always stay in an Apartment not a hotel.
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline ML

Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 03:21:17 PM »
Always stay in an Apartment not a hotel.

Great advice.

Only stay in a hotel when you are afraid the gals would want to spend the night with you; or if you don't know how to scramble eggs and make coffee; or can't figure out how to use 3 keys to get from street into an FSU apartment.

When screening apartments, look for those that say 'housewife included.'
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Jumper1

Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2022, 03:55:58 PM »
To the newbies,

You have to ask questions for yourselves now. I am not responding to Trenchcoats
posts just to pass information on to you. He has wasted enough of my time.

If you are too lazy to sign up, become a member and ask your own questions then
you are going to have to learn everything on your own.

Avoid Odessa and Nikolaev, unless you have contacts there. In those cities they have
an entire industry designed to make your wallet lighter.
Great advice.

But did you move next door to jb?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 05:54:40 PM by Jumper1 »

Offline Davo

Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2022, 12:50:24 AM »

I think this is exactly what you should do Trench..... 6 weeks should be ample time to see if this is for you. If you can’t land a woman or even a vacation romance in 6 weeks, then it’s probably time to hang up your boots...... Try to develop some male friendships too, because that could open up opportunities with women also.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2022, 12:56:49 AM »
The industry is everywhere in Ukraine, Odessa and Nikolaev don't have a particular unique status in the grand scheme of things. I've heard many a time that the girls in Kharkiv can't be trusted, are scammers, out for money, etc. Only cities that are likely to have less industry girls are the central Ukraine ones and even there no guarantees. Really dependant on the girl a lot of the time whether she goes into scammer mode by herself or as part of an industry set up. I would say all newbies should make themselves aware of what to look out for. Scammer girls can vary and the nature of the scam can very and be obvious or not so obvious. There's not always the same set process as western men become aware and scammers lose potential victims they can change tactics and behaviour. A lot can be down to how you source a girl and then how on the ball you are the second one can come more with experience I think.

Take the book, 'Odessa Dreams' that's a nice easy read for newbies to read through. It gives a good idea to the mentality out there and some of the scams going and the way women work. It won't tell of all of the stuff as things move on and scammers ways of working do but it's not a bad start I think. Many other resources and stories out there. I know posters have cone on here many times before and warned of Odessa and Nikolaev, but there have been many guys who have met a straight up girl from both. I met a girl in Nikolaev who was straight up though turns out was not into me, she left without scamming. Scams can get pretty clever and complex it's just really about asking yourself if a girl is 100 percent into you without doubts, uncertainty, anything that doesn't add up or a bit odd I think.

Offline Davo

Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2022, 12:59:08 AM »
Great advice.

When screening apartments, look for those that say 'housewife included.'

Also look for thick walls...... I swear my neighbour was on a mission to bed the most vocal women in all of the FSU 😂
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 02:25:22 AM by Davo »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2022, 01:00:00 AM »

I think this is exactly what you should do Trench..... 6 weeks should be ample time to see if this is for you. If you can’t land a woman or even a vacation romance in 6 weeks, then it’s probably time to hang up your boots...... Try to develop some male friendships too, because that could open up opportunities with women also.

Yeah I was thinking the same with the 6 weeks Davo that it should be ample time, long enough to have a good go at it and look like I'm out there permanently but not so long as feeling stuck out there forever if it doesn't go so well. The idea of getting on with a Ukrainian out there is a good one, get the inside track on it all

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2022, 01:05:17 AM »
£450 a month, (just over $600), is not going to get you very far. Even a periodical low cost flight back home with door to door added on is going to take a dent in your finances.

Beyond food, utilities and other shopping you will need an entertainment budget.

Are you going to have a rainy day budget if something happens to your house and you suddenly need £400?

How are you going to meet people? Is this a genuine case of finding someone there you don't know already or meet up with someone you already have contact with?

There is logic to going out there for a few weeks to give yourself a better chance of finding someone, maybe more than once but I'm struggling with the idea that this plan could work long term living in Ukraine.

In addition there is only one way interest rates are going for mortgages and that is up.

I have some credit cards with a zero percent interest rate offers for a year, 18 months or whatever. That should be more than enough I can get on them I think. For a six week period that should suffice. I think the living cost could be gone on about all day without any real certainties, we've done it before on here and people's ideas vary enormously. Kind of depends on lifestyle a bit I guess. Sone people can get carried away and overestimate as much as some may underestimate I think. I think western money can go a long way out there if using the right resources.

Offline Chelseaboy

• Trips: 1 - 3
Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2022, 05:55:14 AM »
The industry is everywhere in Ukraine, Odessa and Nikolaev don't have a particular unique status in the grand scheme of things. I've heard many a time that the girls in Kharkiv can't be trusted, are scammers, out for money, etc. Only cities that are likely to have less industry girls are the central Ukraine ones and even there no guarantees. Really dependant on the girl a lot of the time whether she goes into scammer mode by herself or as part of an industry set up. I would say all newbies should make themselves aware of what to look out for. Scammer girls can vary and the nature of the scam can very and be obvious or not so obvious. There's not always the same set process as western men become aware and scammers lose potential victims they can change tactics and behaviour. A lot can be down to how you source a girl and then how on the ball you are the second one can come more with experience I think.

Take the book, 'Odessa Dreams' that's a nice easy read for newbies to read through. It gives a good idea to the mentality out there and some of the scams going and the way women work. It won't tell of all of the stuff as things move on and scammers ways of working do but it's not a bad start I think. Many other resources and stories out there. I know posters have cone on here many times before and warned of Odessa and Nikolaev, but there have been many guys who have met a straight up girl from both. I met a girl in Nikolaev who was straight up though turns out was not into me, she left without scamming. Scams can get pretty clever and complex it's just really about asking yourself if a girl is 100 percent into you without doubts, uncertainty, anything that doesn't add up or a bit odd I think.

Yes,the scamming/prodating girls are everywhere in Ukraine.

The one i met was from Mariupol.
Just saying it like it is.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2022, 07:19:37 AM »
I have some credit cards with a zero percent interest rate offers for a year, 18 months or whatever. That should be more than enough I can get on them I think. For a six week period that should suffice.

There you, baby! You really got this all planned. If this particular trip didn’t quite work out for you, you can always whip up another 2 or 3 and max each one out, too.

What a great display of resourcefulness and showing these gals how so much more ‘wealth’ the west have over such economically downtrodden nations like Ukraine really is.

Amazing it only took you 6 years planning this method, borne of nearly 50 years of western lifestyle and attitude.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Jumper1

Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2022, 09:28:06 AM »
GQ, are you trying to say financing  your quest to bring a woman into your life that will likely depend on you for providing,
 is a bad idea?
Say it isn't so!!
;)

Offline BC

Odesa Dreaming
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2022, 09:33:27 AM »
I've always stated that anyone attempting this venture should NEVER do it on credit.

Even if you are lucky and find "The girl", nothing would be worse than having to tell her that the budget is too tight for this or that because you're having to pay off debt taken out to court, marry, and bring her home.

Such could turn into a real nightmare scenario unless she is fully aware what she is signing up for, down to the dime, and that she will be soon job hunting to pay off your debt.  That's how prostitutes get treated.

IMO If you don't have cash already in the bank, or substantial stable income that can fill the gap and then some, best to stay home.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541019
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 2205
Total: 2214

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 06:44:55 AM

Re: Arctic Blast hit hard in most areas of USA by 2tallbill
Today at 06:36:29 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM