It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: She's finally coming here.. flights, visa questions  (Read 4519 times)

Offline iceshaft07

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1 - 3
She's finally coming here.. flights, visa questions
« on: August 04, 2015, 05:43:13 PM »
Hey guys, I wanted your thoughts on flights to Boston from Odessa.

My fiancee just got her visa approved (Yay!) And we are looking at flights to get her here.

I am going there to have a small wedding, and then we are flying back.

Turkish airlines has a really good flight from Boston, to Istanbul, to Odessa, but it's out of the price range due to summer pricing.

Has anyone tried Aeroflot?

I'd have to fly from Boston to NYC to Moscow to Odessa.

On the way back, there is a 3 hour layover. Is this enough time for the fiancee visa as well as make our next flight?

Also, I'm a little nervous flying a Russian airline, and being in Moscow given US-Russian relations...And given the geography, I'd probably be flying over do Donetsk too.

What do you guys think? 3 hours enough for the fiancee visa?

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: She's finally coming here.. flights, visa questions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 05:50:35 PM »
Hey guys, I wanted your thoughts on flights to Boston from Odessa.

My fiancee just got her visa approved (Yay!) And we are looking at flights to get her here.

I am going there to have a small wedding, and then we are flying back...

On the way back, there is a 3 hour layover. Is this enough time for the fiancee visa as well as make our next flight?

... What do you guys think? 3 hours enough for the fiancee visa?

I'm not following you.  Your fiancee got her visa approved. You're going there to have the wedding? Where are you going to have the wedding? I don't understand your question as to whether a 3 hour layover is enough time for the fiancee visa.

A fiancee (K1) visa requires you to get married here in the US.  Am I missing something here?

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 05:53:51 PM »
Are you talking about getting through the immigration lines?  The answer, typically, is Yes.  Shouldn't take more than 30-40 minutes to get through immigration
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline iceshaft07

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 05:54:55 PM »
A few of those TV shows I've seen where a guy marries a russian suggested it took 2 hours.

Offline jone

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 05:57:15 PM »
I recently landed with a group of Russians on a flight from Russia, at LAX.  The immigrants with Visas were out at almost the same time I was out.  Which was less than 15 minutes.  We actually beat the baggage to the carousel.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 06:39:45 PM »
There is a myriad of variables depending on your entry airport into the US. My wife entered at IAH Houston the first time and it took almost 1.5 hours. We barely made our connection. We compared with some Russians we know that entered at JFK and they both said it took less than 30 minutes. Numerous international flights land in the same time frame as my wife's. I'd say 3 hours is plenty even in the worse circumstance.

Aeroflot isn't a "bad" airline and the US/Russian relations are of no consequence. Aeroflot is as close to a no frills as it gets but, I've flown them numerous times without incident. Usually great to reasonable rates and relatively as good as the others for being on time. They did lose my wife's luggage once but it arrived a week later to our door

Offline BillyB

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 07:46:14 PM »
Has anyone tried Aeroflot?

Also, I'm a little nervous flying a Russian airline, and being in Moscow given US-Russian relations...And given the geography, I'd probably be flying over do Donetsk too.

How much is Aeroflot going to cost you over the other airline? In the FSU sh!t happens a lot. I've got screwed by Aeroflot before and had to buy another ticket to my final destination. I would avoid them. Politically things could get worse after today and that can mess up your plans and things could get real expensive.

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline TagUrIt898

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 09:04:06 PM »
Hey congrats on getting your visa. I like a lot people are a little confused about your plans though.  Do you plan to get married "officially" in the U.S. or in Odessa?  If you're planning just a ceremony-type wedding to indulge her family and friends, than by all means go for it. If you have a K1 visa approved, you have to get married in the U.S. no if ands or buts about it.

As far as Aeroflot goes, I flew with them on my first trip to Ukraine.  I managed to snag a flight to Odessa for only $650, very rare I know.  The flight itself was fine.  It was an 8 hour flight and I had a layover in SVO.  Note if you do fly into SVO, you have to stay at the airport unless you have a visa. I would also look at Google Flights, they give really good fares and show you a calendar of when is the cheapest time to fly. Little known secret, Orbitz has direct flights to Kiev from JFK, not sure if that's an option for you.

Good luck and please come back and clarify for us what your trying to do.

Tag
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 08:56:36 AM by TagUrIt898 »

Offline Rick4G

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 02:00:04 AM »
In 3 weeks flights from US to Ukraine are going to go down 30% as summer season ends.
a Boston to UA should realistically be about 950-1100 round trip for flights departing after August 22
just looked that up on Delta's website although they dont fly to Odesa.  But the VIP bus is 40 bucks and
comfortable and serves alcohol

Offline iceshaft07

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 05:39:02 AM »
Hey!

Yes, I am flying out there for a celebratory wedding. Nothing official. Our wedding will happen in the U.S. I'm also a little worried since this is her first time flying, and I want to accompany her.

Yes, I seen flights round trip for about $1100.it seems to me the best price I've been able to get is about $2200 for everything. That's about a $600 flight out, and two $800 flights back.

I'm not seeing any rapid decreases in price either... I checked. I was hoping maybe in September prices would come down, but they didnt.

When I flew to Odessa in November, and again in March, a round trip was $600 through Istanbul. I'm shocked at the prices right now, nearly triple the price (turkish airlines is $1400 round trip right now)

Offline TagUrIt898

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 09:03:48 AM »
1600 for you both to fly back is not that bad.  Are you prepared for what to do when she arrives in the U.S.?  In regards to arriving at the airport, immigration etc. Obtaining a social security number.  Does she need English and or driving lessons?  Will she work?  Forgive me if you and your beloved have already discussed these things. I'm just asking the obvious questions 😝

I think it's great that you're having a ceremony in UA btw. My fiancé and I.....well she'll be my wife by then plan to marry in the U.S. and have a wedding ceremony in her home city.

Congrats again and best wishes 🎉🎉🎉

Tag

Offline iceshaft07

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 06:14:38 PM »
Funny you should mention that... (see my other post :-) )

Offline BillyB

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 06:18:03 PM »
I am flying out there for a celebratory wedding. Nothing official. Our wedding will happen in the U.S.

Don't let anybody in passport control know you did that before coming to America. K-1 is not intended for a wife to enter America to be with you.

I'm also a little worried since this is her first time flying, and I want to accompany her.

How does your fiancée feel about what Russia's doing to her country. If I bought my wife tickets on Aeroflot, she wouldn't step on the plane. How do you and your fiancée feel about that airplane MH17 flying eastbound getting shot down? Sure you want to go east before heading west?

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 07:33:28 PM »
Aeroflot prices were cheapest we found for Ochka's last flight . . . by a couple hundred bucks.

But she wasn't about to associate with anything Russian.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline iceshaft07

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 05:25:00 AM »

Don't let anybody in passport control know you did that before coming to America. K-1 is not intended for a wife to enter America to be with you.

How does your fiancée feel about what Russia's doing to her country. If I bought my wife tickets on Aeroflot, she wouldn't step on the plane. How do you and your fiancée feel about that airplane MH17 flying eastbound getting shot down? Sure you want to go east before heading west?

Thanks. Good point about passport control, I hadn't thought of that. IL make sure to tell her.

I honestly don't know how Olga feels about Russia. I want to know, but she seems to dodge the question every time. I think she is afraid to tell me. I've been excited to ask her again when she comes.

She speaks Russian. She does, or did, speak Ukrainian too. And she lives in Odessa. Her dad was part of the Russian military as a career. I know his opinion. But Olga hasn't stated one way or the other. I think she likes Poroshenko and Obama.

But as far as the flights go, we decided to go with turkish airlines. But, I bought tickets last week, before the kurds attacked the U.S. Embassy. And yes, we spent the extra money to avoid Donetsk.

Pretty much, flying to Odessa right now, there isn't a good way to get there. And while I'm in Odessa, there is always the risk of separatist terrorism. They have not been targeting people yet. It's  only been signs that say things like "One Ukraine", or train tracks, or Ukrainian donation centers when no one is inside. Still enough to make me nervous though.

Offline Chicagosenso99

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 07:04:37 AM »
I flew Aeroflot last week from LA to Moscow, then to Kaliningrad.  The planes were clean and new, the food was good, and zero safety issues.  Each seat had a small TV on the back to watch movies and shows.  Overall it was a great experience.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 09:30:59 AM »
Aeroflot is part of the SkyMiles family and we don't mind flying them as they have improved over the years. Plus, I use my Delta number and accumulate Aeroflot miles inside my Delta mileage account.

I just checked on a flight via Aeroflot in late December from SVO to LAX, round trip, for under $700 per person.

Yes, I am flying out there for a celebratory wedding. Nothing official. Our wedding will happen in the U.S. I'm also a little worried since this is her first time flying, and I want to accompany her.

Congrats on her approval! I am not certain what is a celebratory wedding, unless it is the dinner party (what we'd term as the wedding reception) which many FSU ladies term as "the wedding," and use the ZAGS/RAGS label to describe the ceremony. Unless you are Orthodox it is unlikely to be a religious ceremony, and the ZAGS ceremony is the legal ceremony done at a marriage palace. It would be interesting to know what she arranges for this.

It is nice that you are flying with her. That will likely make her entry go a little faster, too.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline ML

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 11:05:28 AM »
I flew Aeroflot last week from LA to Moscow, then to Kaliningrad.  The planes were clean and new, the food was good, and zero safety issues.  Each seat had a small TV on the back to watch movies and shows.  Overall it was a great experience.

Very good of you to lend economic support to Russian terrorists and fascists, and those supporting same.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline Rick4G

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 12:41:14 PM »
     Pretty much, flying to Odessa right now, there isn't a good way to get there. And while I'm in Odessa, there is always the risk of separatist terrorism

First on the terrorism thing,  situational awareness!   Always be aware of your surroundings and whats going on but do not let fear dictate.  Odesa is fairly safe place but just as in any large US city, always go in groups of 2 or more.  I used to always walk alone at night in Ukraine but 3 years ago 2 Russian guys tried to rob me in a taxi but gladly it only ended badly for them.  Since the war started there are alot of desperate and also crazy people around now, especially with the influx of people from the east.
just use common sense.

Regarding Odesa,  it is not uncommon for flights to be $200 or more than to Kyiv.  As I said before there are nice VIP buses that go between Kyiv-Odesa for about 40 bucks.  They also have the little tv in the seat and very comfortable reclining seats

Offline jone

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 02:52:46 PM »
I like the choo choos better, but have done both.  Agreed that it is both cheaper and more convenient.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 06:22:50 PM »
And yes, we spent the extra money to avoid Donetsk.

REALLY??? Were some of the choices you had were flights to and through Donetsk? The airport was bombed 50 times over. Hard to believe some of the flights go through there.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541307
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3934
Most Online Ever: 12701