It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Starting and Running a Business in the Republic of Georgia, Batumi  (Read 84209 times)

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Starting and Running a Business in the Republic of Georgia, Batumi
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2020, 03:50:13 AM »

The stove has legs so it can be moped underneathed. The hot and cold units also with legs will be before the stove and at a right angle to it. The sink and counter top is to be to the right of the stove along the brick and stone wall. The back wall will have a table height refrigerator with countertop. The cashier will be meter before the stairs.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 04:02:43 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2020, 04:34:23 AM »

And on the overhang I'll mount these. The overhang is 210 cm wide.

These are 206 cm. It should attract attention and spread word of mouth advertising.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 05:31:49 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2020, 07:05:36 AM »

View out my Tbilisi train window on the way back to Batumi

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2020, 11:37:12 PM »

View out my Tbilisi train window on the way back to Batumi

Sitting to my right on this trip back was Israeli man named Asoff. He told me he was part of Israeli airline El-Al security. There are two stations in Georgia, Tbilisi and Batumi. We got into a conversation about the restaurant business I am working on. I learned a bit about Jewish Kosher dietary rules. Meat cannot be mixed with dairy products. So beef or chicken cannot be mixed with cheese or sour cream. The tortillas should be made with olive oil instead of butter if a Jew wanted meat on them. The vegetarian meat soy that I plan on getting from the vegetarian cafe (connected with the owner on this) is anything goes. Egg can be mixed with dairy as in breakfast burritos. And he told me Jews prefer getting their meat outside of Israel from Muslim butchers as their dietary rules, "Halum" are similar to Kosher.

A recent friend I made is a Turkish man named Mehmed. Yesterday I had lunch with him at 'The Sultan Cafe'. Mehmed is a refugee from the Erdogan regime as is the restaurant owner. This restaurant has its own butcher. Mehmed is going to arrange with the owner to be my supplier of chicken and beef. There is cut of beef used to make 'barbacoa' called skirt meat. It is just behind the front legs of the steer/cow. I am going to get some and start working on the recipe for this.

Asof told me that starting this summer there will be 18 flights a week coming from Israel. The Muslim and Jewish business is not something I want to miss.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2020, 02:11:44 AM »
Maxx

Perhaps your 'halum' is meant to be HalaL ?

'Permissible' in Arabic .. in this case - in the context of food preparation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halal

BTW: LC Waikiki  - the 'billboard' you see at Tbilisi(?) railway station is one of several Turkish clothing retail chains in Georgia

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2020, 02:40:53 AM »
moby is correct - it's halal (permissable)  Haram is forbidden.

I don't like halal chicken.  It's missing a "zest", for lack of a better word.  I've never tried kosher chicken, but was told by a non kosher Jew the same thing - it is "missing" something in taste.

Halal butchers prepare meat by saying a prayer, then cutting the caratoid artery and jugular vein.  The animal must be alive when killed, and all blood must be drained.  Kosher killing involves cutting the esophagus, trachea, caratoid artery, and jugular vein in one motion. The animal must then be raised, its blood drained, then the blood covered with dirt.  If not all these acts are done correctly, the meat is not kosher.  Halal preparation allows animals to be stunned before slaughter.  Kosher preparation does not.

If you are advertising as a kosher kitchen, it is not enough to avoid serving dairy with meat.    Meat must be soaked prior to cooking to remove any remnants of blood    Only parts from the forequaraters can be consumed.  Even eggs if served cannot have a speck of blood.  If an egg has any blood, that egg must be discarded.  If serving fish, the fish must have fins and scales - definitely no shellfish, no catfish, no eels.

Your kitchen must also be kosher.  So, all pots and pans must never have been used to prepare non kosher foods, or touched non kosher foods.  Same with kitchen utensils, butcher blocks, plates, cups, cutlery, etc.

I suspect most Jews who will visit Georgia don't keep kosher, or at least, not strictly.  In your shoes, I'd probably not tout a kosher kitchen, and then determine later if it's worth it to add a kosher option.  Muslim visitors are another story, but other than pork and haram meats/seafood, it's not as big an issue.  No alcohol, no alcohol in foods, no vanilla extract (which could be in desserts), nothing made with animal rennet (some cheeses).

This post was composed without the aid of google.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 04:18:11 AM by AnonMod »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2020, 07:23:18 AM »

Sitting to my right on this trip back was Israeli man named Asoff. He told me he was part of Israeli airline El-Al security. There are two stations in Georgia, Tbilisi and Batumi. We got into a conversation about the restaurant business I am working on. I learned a bit about Jewish Kosher dietary rules. Meat cannot be mixed with dairy products. So beef or chicken cannot be mixed with cheese or sour cream. The tortillas should be made with olive oil instead of butter if a Jew wanted meat on them. The vegetarian meat soy that I plan on getting from the vegetarian cafe (connected with the owner on this) is anything goes. Egg can be mixed with dairy as in breakfast burritos. And he told me Jews prefer getting their meat outside of Israel from Muslim butchers as their dietary rules, "Halum" are similar to Kosher.

A recent friend I made is a Turkish man named Mehmed. Yesterday I had lunch with him at 'The Sultan Cafe'. Mehmed is a refugee from the Erdogan regime as is the restaurant owner. This restaurant has its own butcher. Mehmed is going to arrange with the owner to be my supplier of chicken and beef. There is cut of beef used to make 'barbacoa' called skirt meat. It is just behind the front legs of the steer/cow. I am going to get some and start working on the recipe for this.

Asof told me that starting this summer there will be 18 flights a week coming from Israel. The Muslim and Jewish business is not something I want to miss.

Forget all that shat. If you're going to to be a Mexican restaurant stick with the Mexican menu and ingredients. Personally I do not know many Jews or Muslims from Mexico, do you? If they question the kosher or halal they're probably not your customers

Offline msmob

« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2020, 07:46:13 AM »
A geopolitical lesson for Mr Mistake is in order

Batumi is 20 minutes from the border with ... Turkey

Where does the VAST amount of fresh fruit, veg and meat products come from in Ajaria ?...  :popcorn:

Where do most day-tripper / coach-trips  come from ..?

'Thank you' ..

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2020, 07:54:31 AM »
Forget all that shat. If you're going to to be a Mexican restaurant stick with the Mexican menu and ingredients. Personally I do not know many Jews or Muslims from Mexico, do you? If they question the kosher or halal they're probably not your customers

I agree. What happens if a starving Jew walked in and you’re only serving pork burrito?
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2020, 07:58:59 AM »
A geopolitical lesson for Mr Mistake is in order

Batumi is 20 minutes from the border with ... Turkey

Where does the VAST amount of fresh fruit, veg and meat products come from in Ajaria ?...  :popcorn:

Where do most day-tripper / coach-trips  come from ..?

'Thank you' ..

A halal Mexican restaurant has about as much a chance of success as ice water in hell. but given your business acumen I'm sure you had no idea.

You're welcome, moron

Offline msmob

« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2020, 08:36:49 AM »
A halal Mexican restaurant has about as much a chance of success as ice water in hell. but given your business acumen I'm sure you had no idea.

You're welcome, moron

You have no idea of my biz acumen - save for the 'suggestions' of others ...   

When were you last in Batumi ? ... 

As approx 25-50% of any of Maxx' weekend trade are likely to be Halal favouring clients - it's not such a bad idea for Maxx to cover all bases

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 09:14:21 AM by msmob »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2020, 08:43:23 AM »

I suspect most Jews who will visit Georgia don't keep kosher, or at least, not strictly.  In your shoes, I'd probably not tout a kosher kitchen,

I'll let Asoff guide me in this.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2020, 11:16:56 AM »

I'll let Asoff guide me in this.

Ask him if you need a Jew to turn on the stoves.

Food cooked by a non Jew is called "bishul akum" and is not considered kosher.

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Local-rabbinate-checking-Jewishness-of-restaurant-employees-513650

This post was composed with the aid of google in locating a (previously read) article.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2020, 12:30:17 PM »
It's pretty funny observing the eating habits of college kids here in USA from various parts of the world.
i.e. Those from India start out avoiding beef . . . but after awhile, many are eating hamburgers at picnics.
i.e. Those from Arab countries start out avoiding pork . . . but after awhile, many are eating sausage biscuits at McDonalds, and sausage pizzas.

We have had several picnics at our house for math faculty which has several Jewish professors.
I tell them the hot dogs are all beef.
They mostly reply with a smile . . . I don't care.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2020, 08:40:58 PM »

I think Maxx can handle saying a prayer and slitting the throats of live animals before preparing them for a tasty meal. Reminds me of this Three Stooges restaurant scene involving a cat and dog which aren't made of pork.

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2020, 10:34:03 PM »

I suspect most Jews who will visit Georgia don't keep kosher, or at least, not strictly.  In your shoes, I'd probably not tout a kosher kitchen,

Stating our meats, chicken and beef, come from the The Sultan Cafe and state our vegetarian meat comes from the Vegetarian Cafe would be enough. I doubt I would get any business from strict Orthodox Jews and Muslims. I don't know how the former eat at all when they are abroad? I have seen a few Hasadic Jews but they are a rare site here. I've seen many more Muslims women wearing a black Hijab with eye slits. Their men are usually in tee shirts, shorts, baseball caps and sneakers.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2020, 11:30:16 PM »
state our vegetarian meat comes from the Vegetarian Cafe would be enough.

If you do advertise vegetarian meals, make sure the vegetarian meats do not share the same knife, pan, and plates with real meat. Do you know how to slit the throat of a cucumber so it'll qualify as Kosher and Halal?
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2020, 12:03:52 AM »
If you do advertise vegetarian meals, make sure the vegetarian meats do not share the same knife, pan, and plates with real meat. Do you know how to slit the throat of a cucumber so it'll qualify as Kosher and Halal?

Ilona was vegan however she would taste the meat for taste and she would eat fish. What I am saying is not everyone is a purist when it comes to eating. I am getting the impression it is that way for most.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2020, 12:22:39 AM »

Ilona was vegan however she would taste the meat for taste and she would eat fish. What I am saying is not everyone is a purist when it comes to eating. I am getting the impression it is that way for most.

Best to avoid cross contamination and if you advertise certain foods to a group of people, assume one or more are purists. Some people don't eat gluten because they think it's bad for them. Some people don't eat gluten because it is bad for them and it'll put them in the hospital. So if a customer says he wants gluten free meals with corn tortillas, not flour tortillas, you must have your employees prepare the meal with new gloves or have their hands washed prior to preparing the meal. There will be contamination of gluten if the food preparer touches a flour tortilla and then a corn tortilla needed for the gluten free customer.

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2020, 07:35:21 PM »
Absolutely agree with this. You are not gonna be able to please everyone. You will make it extremely hard on yourself trying...
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2020, 05:02:43 AM »
You are not gonna be able to please everyone.

I absolutely agree. My plan is offer food that the less dietary strict will accept. No pork in the restaurant. Vegetarian meat option. Vegetarian (soy) sour creme. Vegetarian cheese. And make the tortillas with olive oil.   

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2020, 05:37:22 AM »

In Tbilisi I am having custom built Chipotle style cold and hot units. They are going to be covered in stainless steel. Also being custom built and covered in stainless, sink, refrigerator, stove guard and cash and tray counter.

The business that built the unit above are building mine.

The hot and cold unit is 210 centimeters long. Cost of the both of them together is 2500 GEL ($877)
The refrigerator, sink, stove guard and cash register counter is together 2800 GEL ($982)

I am also going to get a vent for the stove, probably made from stainless steel. Labor costs for installation, plumber electrician, painter, carpenter etc. I am told is very inexpensive.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2020, 06:04:55 AM »

My current plan is find a cook who will do mostly food preparation. I would like her to come in a 6 AM and work till 10 PM. This would be good for her as she would have time for another job. Most Georgian businesses open at 10 AM. The pay I would offer be 30 GEL ($10.52) a day. By Georgian standards that is pretty good pay.

I'll also need 2 women to make the custom made burritos, tacos and taco salads. To stand behind the counter and communicate with the customers. I have 5000 paper sample cups and small plastic taste testing spoons.

Out the back door there is an area for the delivery drivers.

When I visited the American Chamber of Commerce last September I was told this place gets much business.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g294195-d8054622-Reviews-Fire_Wok-Tbilisi.html

When I walked over and checked them out there was 4 Glovo delivery drivers on scooters waiting to deliver orders. The three main delivery services is Glovo, Wolt and Menu.ge They have webpages in Georgian, Russian and English advertising various restaurants offerings. The cost for delivery is paid by the customer. It costs $3 GEL($1.05) per delivery. I usually tip them 2 GEL (70 cents) which makes most of them happy.

http://www.menu.ge/batumi/delivery/home.html

Offline msmob

« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2020, 06:20:45 AM »
Maxx,

Tbilisi is DEAD re tourism and the Hard Rock Cafe has closed since December.

We have seen 2 Russian cars in 4 days.

I believe you are going to need the weekend and local trade.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2020, 07:19:37 AM »
I have been living in Georgia since November 2015. I've experienced 5 off seasons and 4 tourist seasons. Whether something DEAD now doesn't mean it will stay that way.

This photo I took a few days ago. It is the beach of Goneo several kilometers south of Batumi. In tourist season it is swarming with tourists, now not.

Oh, and the Hard Rock Cafe is scheduled to reopen come tourist season Aprl-May to September-October
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 07:21:49 AM by Maxx2 »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1994
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1983
Total: 1993

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM