It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: More Bad News for Russia  (Read 1075623 times)

Offline Ranetka

• Back to Earth from Cloud Nine
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5600 on: December 15, 2017, 12:55:24 AM »
The fact you have to go back over 3 decades to find an example should tell you something.

How about Angela Merkel ? Is 12 years and counting long enough? As you said 8 to 10 years max to be called a democracy, when are you planning to start pointing German undemocratic nature out?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:58:58 AM by Ranetka »
There are shortcuts to happiness and dancing is one of them.

I do resent the fact that most people never question or think for themselves. I don't want to be normal. I just want to find some other people that are odd in the same ways that I am. OP.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5601 on: December 15, 2017, 01:12:00 AM »
Yes, I think she should step aside.  New ideas and new faces are good for countries.  However, Merkel doesn't rule with a majority, she can't impose her views, because she has coalition partners.  Therefore, I believe this example is flawed.

when are you planning to start pointing German undemocratic nature out?

When I start posting at GermanWomenDiscussion.com!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 03:27:58 AM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Ranetka

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5602 on: December 15, 2017, 05:21:22 AM »
Yes, I think she should step aside.  New ideas and new faces are good for countries.  However, Merkel doesn't rule with a majority, she can't impose her views, because she has coalition partners.  Therefore, I believe this example is flawed.

When I start posting at GermanWomenDiscussion.com!

My point is you don’t think Germany is not a democratic country based on that but you use the length of Putin being in power as a proof of Russia not being democratic. In reality situation is the same in both countries - the leader is chosen repeatedly by majority of people because majority of people believe she or he is the best candidate for the job.

I do resent the fact that most people never question or think for themselves. I don't want to be normal. I just want to find some other people that are odd in the same ways that I am. OP.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5603 on: December 15, 2017, 08:29:54 AM »

My point is you don’t think Germany is not a democratic country based on that but you use the length of Putin being in power as a proof of Russia not being democratic. In reality situation is the same in both countries - the leader is chosen repeatedly by majority of people because majority of people believe she or he is the best candidate for the job.

Really you are comparing apples and oranges.

In one country it is possible to form a new political party and break the mold..

In another leading opposition members seem to be convicted and  'excluded'.

Then there are the laws that effectively stifle new parties gaiining momentum.

This is 101 obvious... unless you chose to be selectively blind!

Offline Ranetka

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5604 on: December 15, 2017, 09:05:16 AM »
Really you are comparing apples and oranges.

In one country it is possible to form a new political party and break the mold..

In another leading opposition members seem to be convicted and  'excluded'.

Then there are the laws that effectively stifle new parties gaiining momentum.

This is 101 obvious... unless you chose to be selectively blind!

Really, when was the mold broke last time in say UK? Seems the same 2 parties are dancing around for the last 60 years or so and the rest are just fringes providing entertainment.

Never mind US where it has been members of the same families...imagine what would the West say if Putin,s daughter taken his place, but in the US this was of course completely democratic.

By the way Russia has an opposition party every election putting a considerable number of seats in parliament. Called communist party, another fact the westerners do not like therefore ignore. For example the mayor in the city I am from is a communist, if that’s not an opposition then what is?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:39:16 AM by Ranetka »

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5605 on: December 15, 2017, 09:08:40 AM »
opposition members seem to be convicted and  'excluded'.

I'm sure Republicans felt that way after FDR went on to win his fourth straight term.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5606 on: December 15, 2017, 09:35:38 AM »
Democracy had always been loosely used the world over.

Ironically enough, the one country that have the closest definition of the word, direct democracy, is currently headed by a president of their federal council for the past 11 years.

...but if short term leadership defines 'true' democractic system for some, then Australia is way out in front of everyone else considering they had 5 different prime ministers in as many years.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5607 on: December 15, 2017, 01:39:54 PM »

I don't recall stating my opinion on Germany. 

A majority of people did not choose Angela Merkel.  Her party has never won more than 41.5% of the vote with her as leader. 
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5608 on: December 15, 2017, 01:46:33 PM »

Really, when was the mold broke last time in say UK? Seems the same 2 parties are dancing around for the last 60 years or so and the rest are just fringes providing entertainment.

Never mind US where it has been members of the same families...imagine what would the West say if Putin,s daughter taken his place, but in the US this was of course completely democratic.

By the way Russia has an opposition party every election putting a considerable number of seats in parliament. Called communist party, another fact the westerners do not like therefore ignore. For example the mayor in the city I am from is a communist, if that’s not an opposition then what is?

I think your UK example is flawed.  It doesn't matter how many parties exist, it's what those parties do.  In the UK, MP's are not required to toe the party line.  The fates of many of their leaders proves this.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:41:45 PM by Boethius »

Offline Ranetka

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5609 on: December 15, 2017, 03:45:30 PM »

I don't recall stating my opinion on Germany. 

Ok. Do you consider Germany a democracy?

Putin has an absolute majority of votes, does it make him more legitimate leader than Merkel in your opinion?

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5610 on: December 15, 2017, 03:58:19 PM »
No. Countries in which you are not free to express your views, no matter how odious, are not democratic.

Politicians were elected in the USSR. By your definition, it therefore was democratic.

Offline Doll

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5611 on: December 16, 2017, 03:20:42 AM »
Not sure how to say in English "игра в наперстки" but this is what people are doing comparing Russia to Germany or any other country/ Belorussia? More.

As for Putin, he is absolutely popular in Russia. Highly popular.

Offline Davo2

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5612 on: December 16, 2017, 03:56:46 AM »
The woman i'm talking with isn't a huge fan of Putin. She has the belief that a man who can accumulate 200 billion dollars of personal wealth, while single mother's struggle with not much help from the state, is not a man of the people. She See's him as a good example of why many aspects of Russian life are exposed to  corruption. It surprised me when she said she wouldn't express this view in public as "we still have to be careful"... I guess that statement says it all
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:02:57 AM by Davo2 »

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5613 on: December 16, 2017, 04:18:06 AM »

Really, when was the mold broke last time in say UK?

1/ SDP in the eighties...came from nowhere and moved Labour to the right, even grabbing left of centre Tories.... The two main parties adapted as they saw oblivion

2/ UKIP

One party agenda...'get UK out of Europe'... Sadly, it worked and made themselves 'redundant'

Now, we both know which nation you are obuscating about ...I (easily) dealt with your attempted deflection...so can we get back to why a certain nation tries to make laws to stifle opposition?

)) The Communist Party is not considered a threat and is allowed. (as is the he LDPR)

So,. back to my specific points?  (( Hint leaders of new parties 'found to be corrupt' and excluded and how often do we see proper representation of  other parties...? ' United Russia' effectively control the big 4 TV channels

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 02:42:08 PM by msmob »

Offline Doll

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5614 on: December 16, 2017, 05:21:51 AM »
. She See's him as a good example 
Out of pure curiosity, what does "See's him " mean?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:26:01 AM by Doll »

Offline GQBlues

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5615 on: December 16, 2017, 09:06:09 AM »
The funny thing about these recent exchanges is the mistake of describing the majority will of the people of a nation in choosing its leader to be 'undemocratic'. That's about the most direct definition of democracy. If the majority in Russia wants to see the continued leadership of Putin then that is a prime practice in a democracy.

Pretty obvious that a whole lot of you are still ignorant to the very basic difference between democracy v republic.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:10:00 AM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Doll

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5616 on: December 16, 2017, 11:39:10 AM »
GQBlues, they just can not accept the fact that Russia has a very strong President. Finally! It is hard for them as well to understand that the majority of people do want him as a leader.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5617 on: December 16, 2017, 11:49:30 AM »
GQBlues, they just can not accept the fact that Russia has a very strong President. Finally! It is hard for them as well to understand that the majority of people do want him as a leader.

I disagree.  I doubt anyone here doesn't believe that Russia has a very strong president and that the majority of the people want him as their leader.

The comments of others concerning the situation in Russia have nothing to do with what you are claiming.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Doll

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5618 on: December 16, 2017, 11:52:09 AM »
I disagree.  I doubt anyone here doesn't believe that Russia has a very strong president and that the majority of the people want him as their leader.

The comments of others concerning the situation in Russia have nothing to do with what you are claiming.
Then you need to read the recent posts again.

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5619 on: December 16, 2017, 11:59:55 AM »
Well my comment is not about whether Russians want Putin as a leader, so at least in terms of what I've posted, ML is correct.

Offline Doll

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5620 on: December 16, 2017, 12:06:02 PM »
Wow!

upload[/URL] radikal

Offline Doll

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5621 on: December 16, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
ML, "doesn't believe" and "doesn't accept" are very different. I said "accept". You need to be more careful when you comment.

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5622 on: December 16, 2017, 12:27:31 PM »
Per Oxford dictionary:
Definition of "accept":
2.  Believe or come to recognize (a proposition) as valid or correct.

Per Cambridge Dictionary:
B2  to believe that something is true.

Per Merriam Webster Dictionary:
3c  to recognize as true:  BELIEVE

ML probably has the most precise use of English language of all posters on the forum. Together with Sandro, the best use of punctuation.  He knew what he was saying.  It wasn't an error.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:30:23 PM by Boethius »

Offline Doll

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5623 on: December 16, 2017, 12:34:06 PM »
He understood me (you too).

Accept, admit- whatever.
Accept is better.

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #5624 on: December 16, 2017, 12:38:48 PM »

He understood me (you too).

Accept, admit- whatever.
Accept is better.

Accept and believe are the same thing, essentially.  ML's point was that he does not believe anyone here is stating Russia does not have a strong president, nor is anyone stating Russians don't want him as their leader.  I happen to agree with that.  That was never my point.  It's not moby's point either.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:42:03 PM by Boethius »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541000
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1890
Total: 1901

+-Recent Posts

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM