It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Fashion  (Read 10368 times)

Offline odba

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Fashion
« on: September 14, 2016, 06:49:11 PM »
I read a lot of complaints about WM regarding fashion when they go out there looking for FSUW. Do Ukrainian women find us to be slobs? Perhaps it doesn't apply to any of you.  ;)

I am in very good shape and I think I have good handle on fashion. While I prefer to wear  Jeans/Chinos & Polos, I do have a few Hugo Boss suits, Sports coats, leather jacket and some nice dress shirts and Allen Edmunds dress shoes. And they fit me well. Is this good enough for these ladies? Perhaps a suit on first date and the more casual on 2nd & 3rd, etc?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:11:28 PM by odba »

Offline alex330

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Fashion
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 07:02:16 PM »

I read a lot of complaints about WM regarding fashion when they go out there looking for FSUW. Do Ukrainian women find us to be slobs? Perhaps it doesn't apply to any of you.

Yes, most of us here in the US dress slopily according to FSUW. And yes, it applies to me. My wife tells me so.  ;)

I am in very good shape and I think I have good handle on fashion. While I prefer to dress in Jeans/Chinos & Polos, I do have a few Hugo Boss suits, Sports coats, leather jacket and some nice dress shirts and Allen Edmunds dress shoes. And they fit me well. Is this good enough for these ladies? Perhaps a suit on first date and the more casual on 2nd & 3rd, etc?

Sounds like it may not be such an issue for you. Dunno how they view the Chinos. Stylish jeans or well fitted slacks might be better. A suit I think is overkill. I suppose it depends on what city and where you go.

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 07:10:20 PM »
A suit I think is overkill. I suppose it depends on what city and where you go.

I agree. The only times I've worn a suit on a date in fsu was when going to more formal places like the opera house.

The Allen Edmunds shoes should be good.

Offline ML

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 07:19:45 PM »
I agree. The only times I've worn a suit on a date in fsu was when going to more formal places like the opera house.

The Allen Edmunds shoes should be good.

I wore a suit on many first dates, but rarely with a tie.

Exception was when it was just plain too hot to wear the suit coat.  Then it was chino pants and dress short sleeved shirt.

When it's really hot, the FSUW show up in pretty casual clothes also.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 08:00:46 PM »
The thing I hear the most about from foreigners is all the fat people. After 7 years here my wife will still poke me to look at a very fat person walking by us. She asks me why and I don't really have an answer. It wasn't like this when I was a kid.

She claims that Russia is different because they walk so much more. Maybe ?

Offline Larry1

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 08:16:20 PM »
The thing I hear the most about from foreigners is all the fat people. After 7 years here my wife will still poke me to look at a very fat person walking by us. She asks me why and I don't really have an answer. It wasn't like this when I was a kid.

She claims that Russia is different because they walk so much more. Maybe ?

There were far fewer fatties here when I was a kid.  I think a significant part of the blame lies with the food pyramid, dietary advice meted out by the federal government in the late 1970's. Meat and fat were to be reduced and carbs increased. The problem was that most people didn't eat eggplant and mushrooms; they ate white bread, potatoes, pasta, and sugary treats, which make people fat.

Offline odba

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 08:26:41 PM »
they ate white bread, potatoes, pasta, and sugary treats, which make people fat.

Exactly. I don't eat any of that crap. My carb intake is less than 20g per day and it is from veggies or coconut water. If you want to lose weight, quit the carbs and get some physical activity such as 15 min of HIIT Cardio 3-4 times a week. Or strength training which I do for 30 minutes a week. Works wonders.

Back to original topic, what I hear most is that WM dress like crap when the FSUW women put a lot of effort into how they look, especially on first dates. I will be going there in late October/early November timeframe. Hence heat may not be an issue.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 08:49:08 PM »

Don't wear tennis shoes and t-shirts. I'd avoid baseball caps. I seen three guys at an airport going to the FSU wearing overalls. An FSU woman will dress nice. She would like the man walking beside her to look nice too. If a guy isn't sure how to dress to impress, go somewhere where you can get advice from a fashion expert. Preferably the lady helping you out is from Eastern Europe. You may be uncomfortable in your new attire but you'll be looking good for the ladies.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline northkape

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 03:19:37 AM »
I always dress like a slob :)
At home, and when I was dating in Ukraine,,,
Always in my old, well worn Levis jeans and a plain t-shirt.

You will find photos of me in my story here:
http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=15509.0

All women in my life, including my present Ukraine wife, always wanted to change "my style" (to no effect whatsoever)

Not only that, no wining or dining, except for an occasional trip to Mc.Donalds.
Also no flowers or gifts,,,, all women in my life, including my present Ukraine wife, named me "the least romantic man" they ever met.
And they usually considered me to be a "cheapskate" as well :)

For me, I can't remember it having any negative effects at all, for dating beautiful and intelligent women.....
During all of my life, at home in Norway in my youth, or later when old in the FSU.

Offline ML

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 05:44:30 AM »
North, but your experience is totally different from that which would be experienced by most who dressed and acted like you.

This is because you are much more handsome than the average guy here.

Handsome guys can get away with ALOT !!

So your words can mislead a lot of guys.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline mhr7

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 07:31:15 AM »
I wear jeans, t-shirts and tennis shoes around my RW all the time, she often wears jeans, tennis shoes and a little dressier top. We're both pretty casual around each other if we're not going out to a nice place. But we're way past the stage of trying to impress the other.
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline ML

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 07:50:06 AM »
I wear jeans, t-shirts and tennis shoes around my RW all the time, she often wears jeans, tennis shoes and a little dressier top. We're both pretty casual around each other if we're not going out to a nice place. But we're way past the stage of trying to impress the other.

Two entirely different concepts in this thread:

1) Guys are wondering what to wear on first dates, and on other dates with same gal during the first trip.

2) What you wear around a gal whom you are already hosing.

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 08:08:11 AM »
We have 3 full length mirrors where we are and she uses them. Actually, almost every flat I have been in Russia has one near the exit door.

And every time before we leave she gives me a full head to toe inspection. Usually fly open and food still stuck in my teeth from yesterday. Who is looking at me anyway.

Offline GatoMoon

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 08:51:54 AM »
I read a lot of complaints about WM regarding fashion when they go out there looking for FSUW. Do Ukrainian women find us to be slobs? Perhaps it doesn't apply to any of you.  ;)

I am in very good shape and I think I have good handle on fashion. While I prefer to wear  Jeans/Chinos & Polos, I do have a few Hugo Boss suits, Sports coats, leather jacket and some nice dress shirts and Allen Edmunds dress shoes. And they fit me well. Is this good enough for these ladies? Perhaps a suit on first date and the more casual on 2nd & 3rd, etc?

I work in the fashion business.  All of my previous ladies have never complain the way I dressed!  Until I've seen the way you are wearing, I cannot comment on it.  Perhaps the colour doesn't match you, or the shirts look / or are 'too big' for you.

Perhaps you were dating 'high end' maintenance ladies!

Offline GatoMoon

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 09:02:35 AM »
I always dress like a slob :)
At home, and when I was dating in Ukraine,,,
Always in my old, well worn Levis jeans and a plain t-shirt.

You will find photos of me in my story here:
http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=15509.0

All women in my life, including my present Ukraine wife, always wanted to change "my style" (to no effect whatsoever)

Not only that, no wining or dining, except for an occasional trip to Mc.Donalds.
Also no flowers or gifts,,,, all women in my life, including my present Ukraine wife, named me "the least romantic man" they ever met.
And they usually considered me to be a "cheapskate" as well :)

For me, I can't remember it having any negative effects at all, for dating beautiful and intelligent women.....
During all of my life, at home in Norway in my youth, or later when old in the FSU.

At least you got married - that's the most important part !!!

My ex Italian girlfriend wanted me to change my style into 'Italian style'  I told her that if she wanted a man with Italian style, go and find local man !!!   Italian style does not suit me, and I cannot change myself.  I won't feel comfortable with it.   If any ladies make any complain, it is 'goodbye' to them. 

Like you, I won't take any ladies to any expensive restaurants when being asked!    I like to take ladies to any restaurants when I feel like taking them to.  It doesn't have to be romantic to go to any expensive restaurants.   Just be creativity - taking her to a picnic with wine still consider to be romantic.   If she prefers expensive restaurants, I would think she is after my money!!   My 1st 3 dates (2 x Belarus, 1 x Uzbekistan), I took them to McDonald's too!  All of them have enjoyed, but took the 2nd and 3rd ladies to a restaurant in our last night - not expensive one - just reasonable priced restaurants.

Offline onlyFSU4me

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 09:15:23 AM »
Two entirely different concepts in this thread:

1) Guys are wondering what to wear on first dates, and on other dates with same gal during the first trip.

2) What you wear around a gal whom you are already hosing.

Whatever she tells you to!  😀
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 10:31:50 AM by onlyFSU4me »

Offline alex330

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 09:45:45 AM »
It will depend on different factors of course. Your age, body composition, personal style and background, city you are visiting, event or activity planned, blah blah blah.

Generally stay away from baggy or ill fitting clothes, baseballs caps, and tennis shoes on the first few dates. After that it does not matter, she will many times take on the role of personal stylist and bring home the clothes she wants you to wear after she returns from a day's outing.

Offline Gator

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 02:51:19 PM »

The women vary in their refinement.  Some are sharp, and some have horrible table manners with the knife and fork.  Yet I say all do appreciate a man who dresses well.  I suggest you do your first meeting in business casual.   You can wear a tie if you take her to a fine restaurant, or meet her family (which is a big deal). 

My wife was a fashion runway model for 13 years, working in Europe as well as Russia.  She sneered at me one time when I wore some cotton khakis, and complimented me profusely when I wore some expensive tropical wool trousers having a very subtle pattern. 

Good shoes are a must.  Russian men have some weird looking shoes, yet I wore a couple different pairs of Church's business dress shoes and my wife complimented me.  She did until I told her I purchased them 30 years ago when I pretended to be a business executive.   :D   She was shocked.  I explained they are so comfortable and were made so well to still look good.  I showed her what a pair costs today ($800), and she agreed they are okay.   ;D

Another woman was critical in a friendly way about the cut of my navy blue blazer.  She preferred the Euro cut vs. my standard look.  I wonder what she would have said if I wore some of those Boston whaler trousers with fishing flies embroidered  all over  them. 

Of course good grooming is a must.  Pay close attention to the nails.   

Offline ML

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 03:20:34 PM »
Of course good grooming is a must.  Pay close attention to the nails.

How can you tell when an auto mechanic has been recently involved in sexual activity with a woman ?

Offline Gator

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 04:45:42 PM »
How can you tell when an auto mechanic has been recently involved in sexual activity with a woman ?

Is it the same as deciding whether a Welsh coal miner went home for a nooner?   ;)

Offline CaptB

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 10:32:43 PM »
For me.....my daily "uniform" in Russia was black jeans, black leather trainers, polo shirts (summer).....blue denim jacket in cooler weather. For dinner at a restaurant....I might put on a white shirt and western "string-tie. Almost all the RW I dated liked the string-tie. At a fancier restaurant.....black denim pants, black leather shoes, gray sport coat and black fine knit pull-over.......no tie. Most of my dates like the way I dressed....to suit the occasion. They always looked in the mirror (almost all exit doors...as Chicago Guy pointed out). The main attention from my RW's was "shoes"........"mine". If i had a microscopic scuff-mark on my shoe.....my RW's would dabb-on a little liquid shoe polish......shake her head in approval.....as if she just pained the Mona Lisa......and off we would go. Casual is okay most of the time.....if it looks "neat". Not "neat" is a 54 y.o. man from Texas using LifeTime Partners agency in Tver, Russia. I do not know what his profession was.....but as he was dressed for dates....he looked like a "custodian". My friend is a custodian at a university......Dickies at work......sharp dresser on dates. The guy in Tver wore well-worn gray dickies work clothes. His leather shoes were well scuffed....as was his belt. His hair always had a "cow-lick"......and he wore a thick strap to hold on his glasses. He was not a bad looking guy.....but was totally clueless about dressing for a date. Every morning he would look through the profile catalogs (only 18 -22 y.o. RW's). Finally his interpreter said she was taking him shopping....he had  "no choice"......she said. He eventually matched with a very nice 42 y.o. RW.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline GatoMoon

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 05:26:16 AM »
on my way to dine with a 2013 Miss Lugansk tonight.... wish me luck :)

Offline Larry1

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 06:29:21 PM »
A friend of mine nearly lost a toe because his fsuw girlfriend insisted that he buy "elegant shoes" while visiting her. He got a severe blister that quickly became infected. Upon his return home doctors prescribed ever more powerful antibiotics and the infection was finally stopped.

Offline ML

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2016, 02:54:03 PM »
What's wrong with losing a toe, if it allows one to look more elegant ?

Offline Jumper

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 11:01:19 AM »
Obviously on a first date you'd want to present the best version of yourself.

That said: I certainly don't recommend going beyond that into territory you feel uncomfortable in.
IMO it's better to cut through the BS quickly in these type of relationships, as most don't have (or wont take)  the time to dance around learning about each other.Sad but true.

If she is unimpressed with a more fundamental best version of you, in what you wear, your sense of humor,  or any other way, then there was never any need to over do it.

Then again, I typically knew who I was meeting well enough to have this issue covered a bit intuitively from both parties,
 (I did not date fashionista's or anyone who would base a lot on what I wore, or anyone else wore)

I probably under dressed a bit if anything,because I just dint want to worry about that aspect. I don't in daily life, never have in dating life either.Their problem,if it is one,  not mine.  ;)

I'm not a handsome guy, but a wink and a smile has never left me lacking female companionship regardless how I was dressed.
How you carry yourself, how you behave or treat others and her,
your life outlook, and sense of humor  SHOULD have a more pronounced effect than what dress shoe you wore(or did not wear).

The basics are the clothes should fit you, who you really are, your age, your place in life, and of course the specific situation
(we cant know if you are going to a cafe or the opera)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:04:40 AM by Jumper »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541388
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 2512
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 2181
Total: 2190

+-Recent Posts

Re: international travel by krimster2
Today at 04:57:12 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:36:35 AM

Re: Navigating the longest story ever told by Stirlitz
Yesterday at 02:18:56 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Stirlitz
Yesterday at 02:12:24 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 01:56:55 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 07:07:31 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
April 23, 2024, 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
April 23, 2024, 08:20:37 AM