It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML  (Read 317256 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2015, 08:27:55 PM »
Fun with an International wife.

Earlier today, we stopped at grocery store and later I was asking Ochka what she thought about the rather strange looking person in line ahead of us.

I said that it was possible the person was a hermaphrodite.  Of course I really know nothing about what such persons might look like; I was just talking.

She understood the word as it is similar in Ukrainian; I guess.

Anyway, I was telling her how if someone irritates us; we tell them to go fock themselves.  And, that such a person could actually do it.

Now . . . flash forward to a hour or so ago.
Ochka was saying how she was so, so, so tired that she was going to bed to sleep.

I said:  "Why do you think that I chose you?"

She:  "Why?"

Me:  "Because you are so young and energetic.  And now you are wanting to go to sleep early and I might want to have sex."  (Not true at all, as that task was this afternoon).

She:  "I don't want to be rude . . . but I could tell you to go fock yourself."

I started laughing almost uncontrollably and she joined in.
We could hardly stop laughing.
It was a great moment.

I said how it was so dangerous for me to teach her anything.

She said that before me, she would never dream of saying some of the things she now said; even to me in private.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2015, 09:26:07 AM »
Interesting mail day for Ochka . . . two items of mail.

First, her combo EAD/AP card arrived for the AOS process.  Not a really big deal for her compared to many other immigrants who are waiting for such a card, because she already has EAD card for OPT associated with F-1 visa which goes until around July 1st.  And by that date she will probably already have 2 year Green Card anyway.

Second, letter from local court . . . which had her crapping her pants and a bit scared.  I immediately suspected what it was; but wasn't sure.

And I was right . . . it was a summons for her for Jury duty!!

I am pretty sure she cannot serve because not a US citizen, but will have to investigate that situation on internet.

Anyway quite strange because I have NEVER been called for Jury duty during my 100 years or so of living in USA . . . and she gets called.

We were trying to figure out what list she was taken from.  I thought of student list and list when she signed up for Obama Care.
But I think she came up with a more likely story . . . the filing for marriage license.
Still, why was she chosen and not me?
Anyway, she couldn't wait to get on Skype and tell people back in Ukraine about this.  She was really animated when talking to them!!

A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Wayne

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2015, 09:58:48 AM »
Does Ukraine actually have trial by jury?

I have been called for jury duty a few times but was not chosen for a trial. They usually have a lot more people called in than they need for trials.

I don't know if you need to be a citizen or not? You have to answer several pages of questions.

Offline ML

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2015, 10:07:13 AM »
Does Ukraine actually have trial by jury?

I don't understand the relevance of your question with respect to someone who is called for jury duty in USA.

Except if you are wondering if a citizen of Ukraine even understands what jury duty is all about.

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2015, 01:54:55 PM »
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=ccp&group=00001-01000&file=190-237

(Excerpt)
(a) All persons are eligible and qualified to be prospective trial jurors, except the following:

(1) Persons who are not citizens of the United States.

(2) Persons who are less than 18 years of age.

(3) Persons who are not domiciliaries of the State of California, as determined pursuant to Article 2 (commencing with Section 2020) of Chapter 1 of Division 2 of the Elections Code.

(4) Persons who are not residents of the jurisdiction wherein they are summoned to serve.

(5) Persons who have been convicted of malfeasance in office or a felony, and whose civil rights have not been restored.

(6) Persons who are not possessed of sufficient knowledge of the English language, provided that no person shall be deemed incompetent solely because of the loss of sight or hearing in any degree or other disability which impedes the person's ability to communicate or which impairs or interferes with the person's mobility.

(7) Persons who are serving as grand or trial jurors in any court of this state.

(8.) Persons who are the subject of conservatorship.

(b) No person shall be excluded from eligibility for jury service in the State of California, for any reason other than those reasons provided by this section.

I do not know if this is the latest version.

Here is an article a couple years old that suggests the citizenship requirement may have been dropped, but do not see anything that indicates if the bill was passed and signed into law.

http://www.usnews.com/news/newsgram/articles/2013/04/26/california-moves-to-ditch-citizenship-requirement-for-jury-duty
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline ML

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2015, 02:05:33 PM »
Doug, thanks for the info.

I found some similar stuff on internet, but nothing that said in black and white that non-citizen meant non-juror.

Called local judicial office and they said no one could serve on jury if non-citizen.

But I gave them a bit of a hard time because of totally inefficient system and forms.

For  instance, first question on info sheet each recipient has to fill out is:  Are you a citizen of USA.

But it is missing the important next sentence:  If you check no, then stop and do not fill out the  rest of the form, merely sign and return.

Instead, (because this sentence is missing) people are left with task of completing the entire long form, sending in . . . and then left hanging with anxiety as to what will happen with (for instance) workplace demands, travel plans, etc.

Very, very arrogant and inconsiderate of those who prepared the form.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2015, 02:20:30 PM »
Glad to see the EAD/AP card came today.  I am going to have to calculate how long it was from your date of receipt of the package or biometrics to guess when Larissa's will arrive.  Her biometrics are scheduled for April 21.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline ML

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2015, 02:27:55 PM »
Glad to see the EAD/AP card came today.  I am going to have to calculate how long it was from your date of receipt of the package or biometrics to guess when Larissa's will arrive.  Her biometrics are scheduled for April 21.

Not related to time of Bio as I told you in email . . . except that you must do Bio on or before the date assigned.

73 days from time AOS packet signed for at Chicago Dropbox to date EAD/AP card received in our mail box.

On VisaJourney website most of us who filed in February are getting EAD/AP cards in the 65-75 days time range.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2015, 02:32:16 PM »
OK Thanks
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline ML

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2015, 05:12:31 PM »
You all have seen the TV commercials where a stunt man drives a new car like crazy doing all sorts of dangerous moves.

At bottom, always says:  Don't try this at home.

= = = = = = =

Today Ochka gave a private tutoring lesson in calculus in Student Center.

Earlier, we had talked about a romantic evening when she returned.

She called after getting into car, as is our rule.

Me:  Hello
She:  Do you have wine waiting for us?
Me: (After a pause) Who is this calling?
She: (After a pause) Before I answer . . . which number did I call from my address book?

Love this woman !!

Offline ML

« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2015, 07:20:09 AM »
We have been working for over a month now, preparing a garden for planting.  Tons and tons of rocks removed, along with grass, weeds, roots, etc.

I have lost 6 pounds and Ochka lost 5 pounds.

We have been arguing more over this garden during past month than we have argued about anything for past several years.

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2015, 08:46:44 AM »
We have been working for over a month now, preparing a garden for planting.  Tons and tons of rocks removed, along with grass, weeds, roots, etc.

I have lost 6 pounds and Ochka lost 5 pounds.

We have been arguing more over this garden during past month than we have argued about anything for past several years.
How big is your garden going to be?  It usually only takes me a couple days to prepare the area.     What are you growing? Hopefully the arguments are good natured.  The garden should be strictly a source of pleasure. 

Fathertime!
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Wayne

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2015, 09:43:12 AM »
Trial by jury is extremely rare in Russia and practly non-existent in Ukraine. Most people in Ukraine have no idea what a jury is.

USSR abolished jury trial in 1922 and it was not until 1993 that jury trial took place in Russia. The first jury trial in Ukraine was about 2 years ago.

Only certain very serious criminal cases are allowed to be a jury trial in Russia and Ukraine.

I was called for jury duty several times where I live in USA. I don't remember any question asking if I was a Citizen of USA. You did have to live in juristiction of the court, however. If you were 70 years old or older, you could ask to be excused.

Offline jone

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2015, 10:18:16 AM »
Trial by jury is extremely rare in Russia and practly non-existent in Ukraine. Most people in Ukraine have no idea what a jury is.

USSR abolished jury trial in 1922 and it was not until 1993 that jury trial took place in Russia. The first jury trial in Ukraine was about 2 years ago.

Only certain very serious criminal cases are allowed to be a jury trial in Russia and Ukraine.

I was called for jury duty several times where I live in USA. I don't remember any question asking if I was a Citizen of USA. You did have to live in juristiction of the court, however. If you were 70 years old or older, you could ask to be excused.

Wayne, you don't get to be invited to be a member of a jury unless you are registered to vote. 

As for Russian and Ukrainian court systems, one of the reasons there are few juries is that cases are often decided by a 'panel' of judges.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline ML

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2015, 08:56:39 PM »
Wayne, you don't get to be invited to be a member of a jury unless you are registered to vote. 

Not true, because Ochka was not only invited, but the wording was 'commanded' to appear for jury duty . . . while not being registered to vote.

They either got her name from driver's license data base, or maybe from our marriage license registration.

Offline ML

« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2015, 09:02:58 PM »
More about the garden later . . . but for now . . . I haven't noticed anyone mention about the current 3 days of Trinity for Eastern Orthodox religion.

Ochka said she must not do 'extra' work on these 3 days.  I don't remember her making a 'big deal' about it in previous years . . . but perhaps she was very tired of garden work this year . . . so a convenient excuse.

Anyway, the good news is the excellent Pyrizhky that she made today.

Three varieties of filling:  White soft sweet cheese (that she makes herself), Cherries, and Apples.

As usual, she made a huge batch . . . so we will be eating for several days . . . and gaining weight.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2015, 09:09:02 PM »

As for Russian and Ukrainian court systems, one of the reasons there are few juries is that cases are often decided by a 'panel' of judges.

Not true in California.  An excerpt from the states site on jurors.......

Where did the jury office get my name for jury duty?
Names for potential jurors are randomly drawn from voter registration lists obtained from the Secretary of State of California and from lists of driver's license/identification cards obtained from the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline ML

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2015, 11:06:16 AM »
How big is your garden going to be?  It usually only takes me a couple days to prepare the area.     What are you growing? Hopefully the arguments are good natured.  The garden should be strictly a source of pleasure. 

Fathertime!

Garden is about 250 square feet.

Regarding time to prepare . . . you missed point that this is first time for the area and it was filled with rocks, boulders, roots, etc.  Pictures later.

Many things planted and will be planted.  36 tomato bushes planted and that's the main concern for me.

We are already eating strawberries, leaf lettuce of various types, spinach, cilantro (Ochka only, not me), radishes.

Very big task was preparing bed for asparagus.  We dug down at least two feet and took out any signs of heavy clay.  Then had to sift dirt from another pile and put back in.  Planted 26 crowns.  Not supposed to harvest any of it this year, and only a little next year.  Third year is when can start eating a lot of it.  Supposed to keep producing for 20 or so years.

Arguments were not good natured.  I was pretty upset several times and am still a bit concerned about the situation.  Made me wonder for the first time.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2015, 11:28:07 AM »
Culturally, men do not tend gardens in Ukraine, and UW take their gardens very seriously, especially if they grew up in villages.

My Grandmother, God rest her soul, planted everything, weeded, watered, and harvested.  My Grandfather, God rest his soul,  tilled the garden when she told him it was time, and dug up the potatoes, again, on her order, and both under strict supervision.  He also plucked apples from the tallest branches of the tree and gathered rain water in barrels.   My mother hired someone to till her garden.  My father did nothing in the garden, though he did (and still does) all the other yard work.  Now, he plants the garden, and she complains he doesn't know what he is doing, despite the fact they both grew up subsistence farming.

In our home, my husband gardens.  He wanted to do so, and though, having grown up among Ukrainian peasants, I think I could do some things better and get bigger yields, I just let him do his thing.  We won't starve if we get 2 rather than 3 bushels of potatoes.

From my observations growing up, when it comes to gardens, you, as the husband of a UW, have no right to an opinion.  A simple "yes dear" likely is the best course of action. 8)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:48:23 AM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Noch1

« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2015, 12:39:59 PM »
I hate gardening, so we made a deal.
I built them, she plants and tends to them.
I get whatever she asks for, to put in them.
She actually knows her stuff and loves it.
She's happy, So I am happy, seems simple enough:)
Common sense, Is not so common!

Offline fathertime

« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2015, 01:09:37 PM »

Regarding time to prepare . . . you missed point that this is first time for the area and it was filled with rocks, boulders, roots, etc.  Pictures later.

Many things planted and will be planted.  36 tomato bushes planted and that's the main concern for me.

We are already eating strawberries, leaf lettuce of various types, spinach, cilantro (Ochka only, not me), radishes.

Very big task was preparing bed for asparagus.  We dug down at least two feet and took out any signs of heavy clay.  Then had to sift dirt from another pile and put back in.  Planted 26 crowns.  Not supposed to harvest any of it this year, and only a little next year.  Third year is when can start eating a lot of it.  Supposed to keep producing for 20 or so years.

Arguments were not good natured.  I was pretty upset several times and am still a bit concerned about the situation.  Made me wonder for the first time.

Hmmmm, sorry to hear that the arguments could get THAT heated over the garden...that is concerning for you I'm sure....Perhaps if it is too much work to prepare the garden, you could throw some money at it.  Hire somebody to do the real heavy lifting so you can enjoy the project, as must be at in part what the hope was supposed to be.

How big were these rocks?  I'm in California, and don't get many bigger than my fist.   

Good luck,
Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline calmissile

« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2015, 01:57:50 PM »
Culturally, men do not tend gardens in Ukraine, and UW take their gardens very seriously, especially if they grew up in villages.

From my observations growing up, when it comes to gardens, you, as the husband of a UW, have no right to an opinion.  A simple "yes dear" likely is the best course of action. 8)

"Yes Dear" is the first Russian expression I learned and use it frequently.  We are in the midst of the same thing as ML but on a smaller scale.  When we had disagreements about some of the new trees and plantings Larissa reminded me that she is the one with the degree in agriculture and a 'Yes Dear' ended the discussion.

As long as I do not have to weed the garden she can do whatever she likes with it.  I hired someone to dig up the clay and prepare the bed for the vegetable garden as well as deep holes for the new fruit trees, so she was happy.  It is true that FSUW take gardening very seriously.  We should have tomatoes and other vegetables coming out our ears in a few weeks.  How can I complain?    ;D
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Bee Farmer

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2015, 09:36:36 PM »

36 tomato bushes planted and that's the main concern for me.

Planted 26 crowns.  Not supposed to harvest any of it this year, and only a little next year.  Third year is when can start eating a lot of it.  Supposed to keep producing for 20 or so years.

Your garden should be much larger than 250 square feet for what you are growing.

At the minimum, you want 8 square feet per tomato plant.  (2 feet apart, with 4 feet between rows.)  Even at 8 sf, you will have difficulties walking in the tomato jungle.  @8 sf per plant, that's 288 sf just for the tomatoes.

The asparagus should have 1 sf per crown.  That's 10% of your 250 sf garden.  You can pick any spears pencil thickness or larger.  Leave thinner spears alone. 
It's wise to mulch asparagus to suppress weeds.  (And if you cover asparagus when it starts growing spears, you get white spears which are worth more than green spears.)  Also, asparagus can tolerate a lot of salt.  If you make homemade ice cream, dump your salt water on the asparagus.  The salt will help suppress weeds, and asparagus seems to like the salt.

If you planted a 250 sf garden with as many plants as you did, make sure you prevent any weeds from growing or you won't get a crop.  There will be too much competition from weeds, and your plants will be pitiful.

Offline southernX

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2015, 12:20:34 AM »
ah the anomalies of gardening ,

my wife did not garden naturally when we met .

In her home city it was the men in her family who controlled the darcha garden , the women got to water it and harvest from the garden .
producing cider,  jams, relishes, pickled veg, compote and all manner of bottled items

still to this day it is the same in the familys darcha , potatoes, watermelon, corn , tomatoes,  paprikes cucumbers , etc are all planted and tended by the men of the house

my wife  has picked up the  gardening skill  since we met, as i like to garden , mostly vegetables, fruit, but also flowers
she now enjoys watering more than anything else , she also loves the fact that she can walk outside in any season and  harvest something from our garden to cook with or beautify the house

this is all done in typical european style , full apron with a front pocket , gloves ,  cane  hand basket  for the harvest and hat worn on a jaunty angle usually  !!!  :-*

fresh produce is always on our table , we have experimented with all types of preserving and bottling , including olives and cured meats , living in australia we are lucky with the climate we have for outside gardening

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2015, 09:44:36 AM »
At our dacha, there is no lawn; the whole area is planted in fruit trees, grapes, strawberries, flowers, etc. The growing season is longer in Crimea than where we live in the states.

I have a vegetable garden here that is about 3000 square feet. I can grow a lot.

You can save space in a garden by using supports for your tomatoes, beans, peas, etc. You can follow the advise for companion planting. You can plant certain things that repel insects.

My wife does not have any place for a garden at her flat, but she always had house plants. She likes to grow orchids.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540998
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1973
Total: 1984

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM