It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Thoughts on St. Petersburg?  (Read 5524 times)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Thoughts on St. Petersburg?
« on: January 15, 2018, 10:41:19 PM »
So I was just wondering what members thoughts are on St. Petersburg - those that have been there. By which I mean the dating scene. What was it like there compared to other places in the FSU. Did being in a big city that was more wealthier than other parts of the FSU mean a more faster pace dating scene? I'm thinking girls having more options to date men and perhaps higher expectations. Possibly also changing relationships more frequently. Thinking of going there this year so interested in thoughts on this :)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
Re: Thoughts on St. Petersburg?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 12:04:14 AM »
I'm thinking girls having more options to date men and perhaps higher expectations. Possibly also changing relationships more frequently.

You showing up to St. Pete will give them one more option. Will they dump their boyfriends and run to you? Girls in St. Pete have a higher standard of living than most girls elsewhere in the FSU. Does that make you nervous? If it does, you're wasting your time going there.

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 12:16:14 AM »

You showing up to St. Pete will give them one more option. Will they dump their boyfriends and run to you? Girls in St. Pete have a higher standard of living than most girls elsewhere in the FSU. Does that make you nervous? If it does, you're wasting your time going there.

Thanks for the advice Billy it's always very much appreciated :) I think I would most likely be counting on the ones that are unattached, between boyfriends if you like ;) I'm not sure if a girl would dump her bf and run to me unless she way unhappy with him. I mean I would consider myself a fairly decent guy all round but I'm no Don Juan. Them having a higher standard of living is not necessarily a bad thing if it reassures me that she has no alterier motives for seeking me/a WM. I think I may just have to go there and see how it goes and assess from there, i.e see if it works better for me in that environment.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 12:39:55 AM »
I mean I would consider myself a fairly decent guy all round ..

Yeah..'decent guys' want to keep their wives away from further education and constantly up the duff ..lest they attract the interest of another guy .

Them having a higher standard of living is not necessarily a bad thing if it reassures me that she has no alterier motives for seeking me/a WM. I think I may just have to go there and see how it goes and assess from there, i.e see if it works better for me in that environment.

Don't go until May...

I've been twice in the winter and as you're going to fail at dating - at least  see Piter in all it's glory
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:09:21 AM by msmob »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 01:03:10 AM »

Don't go until May...

I've been twice in the winter and as you're going o fail at dating - at least  see Piter in all it's glory

Thanks Mobe, I knew our resident know it all would come up trumps for me ;D Yeah, I think you're right in not going much earlier than May, cold gloomy weather I do not enjoy. I've ignored your first comment of course ;)

Offline I/O

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 01:27:55 AM »
TC - I'm concerned you are still targeting disparity. It's flawed logic.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 10:48:08 AM »
So I was just wondering what members thoughts are on St. Petersburg - those that have been there. By which I mean the dating scene. What was it like there compared to other places in the FSU. Did being in a big city that was more wealthier than other parts of the FSU mean a more faster pace dating scene? I'm thinking girls having more options to date men and perhaps higher expectations. Possibly also changing relationships more frequently. Thinking of going there this year so interested in thoughts on this :)

There are plenty of good, single, marriage minded, beautiful,
educated and intelligent women in St Pete. Stop worrying about
competition. If you can't stop, then don't go. You have to figure that
out.

I know something caused you huge grief in the past that caused
you to feel/think this way, but this is a New year, a new day and a
new hunting ground, you have to get over what ever happened so
that you can be successful. (I don't want or need to know what
ever happened in the past, neither do the peanut gallery)

ALL GIRLS FIRST WANT TO LOVE AND BE LOVED.

That's 98% of what you can offer them. Don't spend 98%
of your time worrying about the other 2%.

You have to find a good girl and win her heart, so spend 98%
of your time and energy doing that. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:00:53 AM by 2tallbill »
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 10:59:47 AM »
TC - I'm concerned you are still targeting disparity. It's flawed logic.

+100

He still isn't processing that concept.
FSUW don't do vague

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 11:56:07 PM »
In the end it has nothing to do the with the city, location, country. blah blah...it comes down to you.

Go to your local pub and chat up a girl and see if you can get a date.  If not then forget Russia, Ukraine,...

I have a few lady friends in St Petersburg but I would not introduce you to them. They all have jobs and their own lives.  They don't need a guy like you.  Heck they could find a Russian guy with better qualities.  That's the truth.

Offline JayH

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 12:46:55 AM »

Go to your local pub and chat up a girl and see if you can get a date. 

Hell no -- she might expect him to buy her a drink !
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 05:49:36 AM »
In the end it has nothing to do the with the city, location, country. blah blah...it comes down to you.

Go to your local pub and chat up a girl and see if you can get a date.  If not then forget Russia, Ukraine,...

I have a few lady friends in St Petersburg but I would not introduce you to them. They all have jobs and their own lives.  They don't need a guy like you.  Heck they could find a Russian guy with better qualities.  That's the truth.

Sting, from what you have told us you are still far off from being successful in this venture. All of your excursions in the FSU have come to nothing. It seems to me your ability with women is not that great and you misread situations. Knowing better what you are going out to face may help you improve. Your input so far is seldom what I would rely upon.

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 06:18:31 AM »
Sting, from what you have told us you are still far off from being successful in this venture. All of your excursions in the FSU have come to nothing. It seems to me your ability with women is not that great and you misread situations. Knowing better what you are going out to face may help you improve. Your input so far is seldom what I would rely upon.

So who's input do you rely on? Besides BillyB which it is obvious you idolize more then anyone on this forum.. could it be because he chased after and landed a young pretty hottie that he is so special to you?

You certenly dont listen to anyone else that has been successful in this adventure..
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 09:20:16 AM »

Is this even English, I can barely read your gibberish.  You didn't read my story man.  I went to Russia for work. Those trips weren't "excursions" unlilke what you were doing.  You view this as a game, being "successful in this venture." 

I view it as normal life and dating. 

What exactly are you basing my ability with women and how I misread situations on?  I never wrote about my personal experiences because I didn't need to.

I will tell you one thing. I probably have more Russian women friends than you have total friends in the world. 

You're all talk and no walk.  You may have some weird kind of personality disorder.  If you pay attention most of the members here have pointed out flaws in your way of thinking yet you never listen.  Your views on women are so far out of whack that it's beyond comical. 

Offline civi68

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 09:42:41 AM »
Trenchcoat, how you would do in St. Pete depends on your attributes and the women's situation. A hot woman with many choices coming out of a nice car will have higher standards than a woman with less options or money. A guy with good looks that does well anywhere will do well in St. Pete. As for average to below average guys, maybe, maybe not.
  The last time I was in St. Pete was in 2001. I didn't do well there but had success in Moscow from 2010-2013. I guess it depends on the luck of the draw. The difference I found at these places compared to smaller Ukraine cities was women were doing better there so if they did want to fleece you, they wanted fancy stuff as opposed to needing money for monthly expenses. Everyone is right telling you that focusing on whether a woman is poor will only get you someone wanting a monthly check from you or leaving you after she is here. But I also found that women with better situations may get cold feet on leaving their country. If you are not the type of guy at home that women respond enthusiastically when you approach them (and that's not many of us other than the top 20%), then you should join one of the sites that women join to meet foreign men. That way, you will get a sense of what interest there would be in you.

Offline civi68

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 09:45:40 AM »
A site I used with success was, http://dmlogin.com/account/login A yearly subscription is comparable to local dating site charges. Spend a month writing to women from St. Pete. If you don't get much, then you may get the same there.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 11:03:18 AM »
Hell no -- she might expect him to buy her a drink !

Hahahaha!

FSUW don't do vague

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 10:04:45 PM »
I have been fortunate enough to be invited as a guest speaker to several young adult group events in Piter. At such events dating is an underlying current to say the least. Singles gather around tables to play games of cards, chess, checkers, charades, etc. (The still do that in Russia, even play monopoly, etc.)

These are not "hook up" groups by any means, but these young professionals tend to be disillusioned with the typical dating scene. Rather than the frequently advertised 2 minute interview and then move to the next table drill that some dating events offer, my experience at these seems to indicate a slower and more thoughtful approach. I have not attended enough to be an expert, but apparently longer relationships do form from some of these events. When speaking I always do so in English as an amazing number of young adults there have some knowledge and value the opportunity to interact with a native speaker.

In Moscow there are weekly meetings to learn English. Held in a side room of a restaurant or bar, English is practiced while enjoying some pizza or wings and a beer. One wonderful young lady who used to work for me at the Mendeleyev Journal met a guy there. They married about a year later. If such gatherings take place in Moscow, then surely they are available in Piter. Having a Brit, Canadian, or American show up to chug a beer and give the opportunity to practice with a native speaker is welcomed.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:06:46 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 06:08:57 AM »
I have been fortunate enough to be invited as a guest speaker to several young adult group events in Piter.

When speaking I always do so in English as an amazing number of young adults there have some knowledge and value the opportunity to interact with a native speaker.

In Moscow there are weekly meetings to learn English. ...If such gatherings take place in Moscow, then surely they are available in Piter. Having a Brit, Canadian, or American show up to chug a beer and give the opportunity to practice with a native speaker is welcomed.

Here's a post of mine from five and a half years ago.  I've referred to it more than once - it makes exactly the same point.

On my first trip to Russia I was lucky enough to be invited to go on a coach trip with a large group of University English-language students.  This was National Tourism Day (end of September), and we went from Naberezhnye Chelny (about 230 km east of Kazan) to Raifa Monastery near Kazan, then sightseeing in the big city before returning to Chelny.

Anyway, the reactions of the lecturers and students couldn't have been more different.  I had already met one of the lecturers, as she was a friend of the woman I had gone to see and had interpreted on our phone conversations.  The other lecturers all made me feel very welcome (all spoke very good English, if not native level).  I got weird looks from all the students, with a couple of girls even looking like they thought I had horns on my head!  :devilish:   They had all been told that, as a special treat, they were going to have a native speaker along for the day, and that they were welcome to talk to me about anything to practise their English.

Four hours later we arrived at Raifa, and not one of the students had made a move, so my woman friend and I started exploring the Monastery (just as a side note - if anyone on this forum gets to Kazan, go to the Monastery.  I was told that it is one of the holiest places in the Orthodox religion, and it is certainly very beautiful, although not particularly big).  Finally, as I was gazing at the altar in one of the churches, one of the students came up to me and started to explain what everything meant.  His English wasn't anywhere near perfect, but he was easy enough to understand.  A couple of his classmates saw us talking and joined us and, as we went outside, more and more came over to the group.

Eventually there must have been about 30 surrounding us, and the questions finally started to flow, although still mainly in Russian.  A few braver souls tried in English, and my original icebreaker explained that they were all worried that a native speaker would laugh at their attempts to speak English.  I reassured them by pointing out that I had the same experience in reverse, but that nobody had laughed at my Russian language skills.  They did laugh at that, which broke the ice, and for the next 15 minutes or so, until we had to return to the coach, a very lively discussion ensued.

This is the very point that Tim [member Timinua] was making in his post - their English is much better than they think, but so many are scared to try it because they have had very little practice and think they will be laughed at.  Reassure them on that point and a great weight is lifted off their shoulders.

In the more than eleven years since that trip, I would guess that an even bigger proportion of young Russians now speak reasonable English, making potential dates easier to find (and converse with).  However, I would still caution anyone thinking about this that you do NOT want to be Trenchcoat's age and trying to chase hotties in their early twenties - whether they live in Moscow, Saint Petersburg, or the middle of Siberia.  Just because they speak better English does NOT in the least mean that they want to hook up with someone old enough to be their father.  Sure - some might: but the overwhelming majority won't.

Offline ML

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 09:48:57 AM »
Just because they speak better English does NOT in the least mean that they want to hook up with someone old enough to be their father.

Depends on how much money their father has.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Terryrnz

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 10:21:06 AM »
Women aside though St. Petersburg is a must see city, so much history, amazing palaces and Orthodox churches, good nightlife. probably one of my favourite cities I've ever been to.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 12:12:44 PM »
Women aside though St. Petersburg is a must see city, so much history, amazing palaces and Orthodox churches, good nightlife. probably one of my favourite cities I've ever been to.

Thanks for that Terry it's the sort of input I like to see :) Sounds like St. Petersburg could be a good one for me.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Thoughts on St. Petersburg?
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 10:03:33 AM »

+1
FSUW don't do vague

Offline ML

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 12:55:36 PM »

Going back to first part about 'women' of SPb; they were some of the most 'ready' women I encountered in any city of the world
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 01:00:41 PM »
Going back to first part about 'women' of SPb; they were some of the most 'ready' women I encountered in any city of the world

'Ready' as in...?

Offline msmob

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 02:45:51 PM »
'Ready' as in...?

Ready for anything....But they haven't met you, yet!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1865
Total: 1876

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM