It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Starting and Running a Business in the Republic of Georgia, Batumi  (Read 84270 times)

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Starting and Running a Business in the Republic of Georgia, Batumi
« Reply #250 on: May 19, 2020, 11:54:10 PM »

- if it is not possible to provide a distance between the tables of at least 2 meters, then it is necessary to establish temporary protective barriers;

Sidewalk seating is allowed but we will have to put up "temporary barriers" to force passerbys to keep far enough away. I'll make them out of the cheapest looking material I can find. Like cardboard boxes bums sleep in.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 11:55:43 PM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #251 on: May 20, 2020, 12:00:41 AM »

While mom and pop restaurants need to close big business like McDonalds are allowed to service customers in drive throughs in cars or as pedestrians. They just cannot come inside and place orders.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #252 on: May 20, 2020, 10:06:30 AM »

The reason I post about Georgia and its response to covid-19 is I hope that the people here will see the parallels between this small country and their own.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #253 on: May 20, 2020, 12:29:11 PM »
Yup. Georgia has been strict and kept the R zero number down and deaths ...NOT the case in neighbouring nations

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #254 on: May 26, 2020, 10:13:48 PM »

I decided I am going to take my time in opening my restaurant.

I was hoping to open in early July. But I think it is best to hold off and see how it goes with the coming new regulations and the economy. 

In the meantime I am having fun. Since this is a Tex-Mex restaurant the plants of decorative choice will be cactuses. I am going to find a potter with a kiln (I think what it is called) and hire an art student to paint Mexican art designs on them. Have you seen the cost of genuine Mexican ceramic art? Yikes!

I'll be having parties all the time at my place. This will give us practice. "Us" is Khatuna and I. Khatuna is with her father, mother and sister during lockdown in their village and will be coming back to Batumi this weekend. Sunday she will meet me at my restaurant. We will be preparing the Tex-Mex food for my birthday party at the gym. The owner also has the same birthday.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #255 on: May 26, 2020, 10:30:37 PM »
I decided I am going to take my time in opening my restaurant.

I thought Georgia made that decision for you but if you want all the credit for making that decision, alrighty then!
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #256 on: May 26, 2020, 10:48:25 PM »
I thought Georgia made that decision for you but if you want all the credit for making that decision, alrighty then!

I understand and appreciate your humor.

What I meant by that Bill was that even if I could open, and I am supposed to be able June 8th, I am not going to. I think it is quite possible that the Georgia government might impose a lot of rules in regards to social distancing. They have already mentioned using "barriers" if the tables are closer than 2 meters. How high the barriers have to be, they didn't specify. My guess is due to the impracticality of this and the pressure from the tourist industry they will relax their requirements. Think for example doing the 2 meter apart thing at the Batumi or Tbilisi opera. I don't know what percentage of chairs that would have to go empty but it would be very high. I know in my small restaurant where I had room for 6 tables, now due to the 2 meter rule, only 2. Will tourism, which 20+% of the Georgian economy depends upon, return if tourists can't find places in restaurants? Will there be any tourists at all with all the lack of money out there. The only hope is people are REALLY ready to live their lives again.

One advantage Georgia has in all of this is is that Georgians are used to living on very little money.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #257 on: May 27, 2020, 08:33:42 AM »
What I meant by that Bill was that even if I could open, and I am supposed to be able June 8th, I am not going to. I think it is quite possible that the Georgia government might impose a lot of rules in regards to social distancing. They have already mentioned using "barriers" if the tables are closer than 2 meters.

If too many restaurant owners think like you, the ones that do open will get the lions share of the business. In my State, while dining in restaurants are prohibited, take out and drive throughs can stay open. While it's not worth it for a big restaurant to stay open, The small restaurants that do take out and fast food with drive throughs are extremely busy because people are eager to get out of their homes and eat something else. I've never seen drive through lines as long as they are this last month.

Factor in the costs of those barriers and if you feel Georgians still have money in their pockets, they may be eager to go out and eat after having to stay home a long period of time. Also by putting up barriers, hand sanitizer stations and doing other things to show you care, people will be more likely to eat at your place than the other guy who cuts corners and pays the local officials to look the other way.

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #258 on: May 27, 2020, 08:24:06 PM »

Shopping Malls, Open-Air Restaurants to Reopen from June 1

"From June 8, all kinds of services will be opened in restaurants. Also, hotels that are inspected by the relevant agencies of the Ministry of Health and have the appropriate permits, will be able to resume functioning. In addition, intercity transport will reopen."
Intercity Transport to Reopen from June 8. (The trains, buses and marsukas will be back in service)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 08:28:37 PM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #259 on: June 10, 2020, 01:11:54 AM »

Since many people here like to give business advice and I listen, should the paper come out from the front as shown? Or out the back?

Offline msmob

« Reply #260 on: June 10, 2020, 01:14:34 AM »
people will be more likely to eat at your place than the other guy who cuts corners and pays the local officials to look the other way.

Hmm,

Are you NOW claiming Georgia is corrupt ?

That's a new opinion.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #261 on: June 10, 2020, 02:48:03 AM »

Since many people here like to give business advice and I listen, should the paper come out from the front as shown? Or out the back?

Hi Maxx, I would definitely say the back, it looks more classy and I'm sure more what people are used to. I think practically it's easier to take off the back without it rolling and getting in the way also.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline ML

« Reply #262 on: June 10, 2020, 07:56:09 AM »
I think practically it's easier to take off the back . . .

Totally wrong.  Often hard to find the beginning edge if it is in the back.

Front hanging is the only way to go.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #263 on: June 10, 2020, 08:50:27 AM »
Totally wrong.  Often hard to find the beginning edge if it is in the back.

Front hanging is the only way to go.

Unless you are a restauranteur and want to limit the amount of TP used by your customers. But since I want to serve unlimited amounts of Coca Cola (free refills), Mexican rice and beans (inexpensive food items) having generous amount of TP on hand rather fits doesn't? 

Offline BillyB

« Reply #264 on: June 10, 2020, 09:36:42 AM »
Hmm,

Are you NOW claiming Georgia is corrupt ?

That's a new opinion.

Get your head examined. I never said Georgia was corrupt. You and other average people may walk by a building and not understand but when I looked at the photos Maxx provided that shows wiring on buildings that aren't up to code, I know the inspectors can be paid off to look the other way.

Offline msmob

« Reply #265 on: June 10, 2020, 09:38:56 AM »

Unless you are a restauranteur and want to limit the amount of TP used by your customers. But since I want to serve unlimited amounts of Coca Cola (free refills), Mexican rice and beans (inexpensive food items) having generous amount of TP on hand rather fits doesn't?

Maxx, I trained in hospitality, tourism and hotel management

Offering free refills, in poorer nations,  could mean you'll have seats occupied all day and a full restaurant unable to accommodate more paying clients ..

Offline msmob

« Reply #266 on: June 10, 2020, 09:44:39 AM »
Get your head examined. I never said Georgia was corrupt. You and other average people may walk by a building and not understand but when I looked at the photos Maxx provided that shows wiring on buildings that aren't up to code, I know the inspectors can be paid off to look the other way.

1/ You have never BEEN to the Rep of Georgia and haven't dealt with forming  biz, getting married, taxation..

2/ Don't confuse it with Ukraine or Russia  ... corruption was largely exterminated ..

3/ Officials are more about encouraging biz and not too much about enforcing standards

Offline Confederate

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #267 on: June 10, 2020, 12:15:44 PM »

Offering free refills, in poorer nations,  could mean you'll have seats occupied all day and a full restaurant unable to accommodate more paying clients ..

Sort of like offering free loot to violent rampaging criminals and looking the other way.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 12:17:56 PM by Confederate »
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
George Orwell 1984

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #268 on: June 10, 2020, 10:56:32 PM »

Good point. Seconds then.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #269 on: June 10, 2020, 11:01:23 PM »
1/ You have never BEEN to the Rep of Georgia and haven't dealt with forming  biz, getting married, taxation..

2/ Don't confuse it with Ukraine or Russia  ... corruption was largely exterminated ..

3/ Officials are more about encouraging biz and not too much about enforcing standards

Zero corruption that I see or have been told about. The only permits needed is to hook to the gas line and paint the outside of the building in the cultural heritage areas. Certain color paints et cetera. It seems anyone is allowed to do electrical or plumbing.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #270 on: June 10, 2020, 11:28:57 PM »
For the first time in months I went to a restaurant. It was the Turkish restaurant I used to go to all the time. I noticed outside 4 men sitting at 2 tables. They were not 2 meters apart and the men were sitting not 1 meter apart as the rules require. But is is outside so the covid-19 virus has no power to spread? Anyway I go inside. I notice most of the tables are all pushed together and the rest are 2 meters apart. Not a single customer in the place where there was always a number of people. But hey the borders are closed. I go up to the food counter and pick out what I want. Then I go to the refrigerator and grab a bottle of Borjomi water and sit at a table. A masked waitress comes up to me and asks that I wear a face mask. I ask her "How do I eat wearing a face mask?" Probably like one of those Muslim women wearing a burka. She shrugs her shoulders and points up. I think she means it comes from government the god. I get up, put my bottle water back into the refrigerator and go to my car. As I am about to drive off I notice the waitress has my food on the tray ready to serve me. I drive off.

When I drive past the government center called "The bottle" I notice crowds of people usually standing quite close to each other. I notice a number of tents. Like the homeless have in LA. I asked what all this was about? I was told the crowds outside were people waiting for their numbers to be announced for entrance into the building. So they all crowd around each other and chat. Most of them are not wearing masks.

Nothing makes any sense. Mask wearing seems to be a sign of submission to authority. When will this madness pass?

Offline BillyB

« Reply #271 on: June 11, 2020, 12:46:47 AM »
The only permits needed is to hook to the gas line and paint the outside of the building in the cultural heritage areas. Certain color paints et cetera. It seems anyone is allowed to do electrical or plumbing.

It's extremely dangerous to be letting people do their own wiring. I hope you're not living in a building where neighbors are doing that. Bad plumbing can lead to dangerous vapors entering your living space. Construction permits are required in Tbilisi.

Unsafe buildings can lead to injury or death by monitoring construction through building permits; building inspection services let avoid such issues. The building, construction permits cover all aspects of the development including wiring, plumbing, and structural integrity. It is essential because there are many fires caused by faulty wiring or ill-health from poor plumbing. Poorly constructed structures may collapse with catastrophic consequences. The building, construction inspection services will inspect these aspects and more.

http://building-permits-inspection.com/tbilisi/tbilisi/georgia/

Zero corruption that I see or have been told about.

Then those inspectors need to do their jobs and require corrections on bad work instead of looking the other way.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #272 on: June 11, 2020, 02:22:58 AM »

Then those inspectors need to do their jobs and require corrections on bad work instead of looking the other way.

The slackness of rule enforcement has to do with the lack of money.

I just got done talking to Ilona. We were comparing notes on life here with the covid insanity. She told me that people who were in stores not wearing masks were fined  50 GEL ($16.35). But the fine now has been reduced to 20 GEL ($6.55). We speculated that the reason it was lowered was because of complaints. 50 GEL is a lot of money here. The scary thing to me is the fines levied on business owners for non compliance to the covid hysteria, 10,000 GEL ($3,278.68). Many people don't make that much a year.

She said the real hassle she has felt is on the buses and marshukas. The safety nazis are everywhere. She is boycotting them and not using them. I told her I did the same with the one restaurant I had going to.

Ilona also said the big Euphoria Casino at Metro City is for sale. They are out of business for good. The shutdown, lockdown and curfew has done irreparable damage to Georgia.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #273 on: June 24, 2020, 06:19:03 AM »

Sidewalk seating is allowed but we will have to put up "temporary barriers" to force passerbys to keep far enough away. I'll make them out of the cheapest looking material I can find. Like cardboard boxes bums sleep in.

NOT complaining here, just telling you how it is.

I just found out from the King of Soya the city raised its permit price from 5 Lari a square meter for outside dining to 50 Lari per square meter. I think this for a year and not a month. Nothing like helping the small businessman and the tourist industry. Flights are supposed to resume July 1st but the gymnasiums are supposed to stay closed till July 8th. So I suspect the resumption flights will be delayed for a while.

A bit over a total of 900 cases of covid happened in Georgia. About 750 recoveries and only 14 deaths. These were all from old people or people with severe health issues. Georgia closed its borders at the same time America did. Mid March. I did my visa run the day before the border was closed with Armenia. Fortunately for Georgia it did not have a lot of tourists from China.

Today my business neighbor had a guy mixing some red and white paint. I told her she needed a special permit from the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and the approved shade of paint. We went together to the place to get the permit. Our current understanding it is going to cost 500 GEL (about $160) to get the permit to paint the outside pillars of her (purple awning) place and my place (black awning). We are checking to see if we can get a price reduction seeing how little of a project it is. 

Silly of the Ministry of Cultural Heritage to charge so much for a permit to help beautify the city it represents. No wonder outside so many buildings here are in need of paint and repair. My business landlord told me that the fine for not getting a permit is 5000 GEL (about $1600).

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #274 on: June 24, 2020, 06:27:36 AM »

What are these? They are the strips of stainless steel that fit inside the hot and cold units to hold up the trays. The builder of my restaurant equipment was in a hurried rush to get my equipment to me before the covid lockdown that he didn't make enough of them. He promised me to complete the job when the curfew, lockdown and city lockdowns were lifted. Now he tells my aid in Tbilisi that he is too busy to complete the job. I am so used to these kinds of things that it didn't fluster (when was the last time you heard that word?) me a bit. Tomorrow Alex and I are going to a shop that makes such things.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1897
Total: 1908

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM