It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Driving In Russia  (Read 4777 times)

Offline I/O

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Driving In Russia
« on: February 15, 2018, 11:39:55 PM »
Can anyone give me up to date factual information regarding international drivers licencing requirements in Russia?

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Re: Driving In Russia
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 12:17:20 AM »
Can anyone give me up to date factual information regarding international drivers licencing requirements in Russia?

I was of the opinion that your Australian licence was all that was needed  -- but -link says more required.

Who can drive in Russia?

If you’re staying in Russia for less than six months you can use your foreign licence, although you will need to get it translated into Russian. Whenever you drive in Russia, you must show an International Driving Permit (IDP) along with your foreign licence, or another type of authenicated Russian translation. You can apply for an IDP your home country, which provides a translation of your licence into nine languages.

http://www.expatica.com/ru/about/driving-in-russia-russian-drivers_831042.html#Who-can-drive

DRIVING IN RUSSIA

According to the Russian authorities, to drive in Russia you need:

Your passport with valid Russian visa.
Your National driving Permit and International translation of driving permit.
A registration document of your car (techpassport) with all information about the owner.

A Russian citizen with a foreign driving license has to obtain a temporary driving permit for driving in Russia.

http://www.adcidl.com/Driving-in-Russia.html
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 12:21:28 AM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmob

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 12:28:18 AM »
Depends on your nationality. Do you have a Govt site - like in the UK - ( Foreign and Commonwealth Office ) that states what rules apply to your nations citizens when in Russia ?

Get an International Driver's Permit - even if not a legal requirement - at least it's got info in Russian. Hand THAT over - rather than your ACTUAL licence  - if stopped

http://smartraveller.gov.au/guide/all-travellers/getting-around/pages/road-safety-and-driving.aspx

DO NOT drink and drive in Russia and if you have a few the night before - don't drive, either ;)

DO make sure any RU car you drive is insured to cover you.  Most RU insurance only covers third party cover ..KASKO ..the comprehensive insurance is more expensive ( than the UK equiv )

If you've driving a car in Siberia - make sure it is fitted with Winter tyres - probably it's a legal requirement. It varies from region to region

Take a deep breath and drive 'defensively' ))

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 12:30:00 AM by msmob »

Offline Gator

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 08:43:06 AM »

DO NOT drink and drive in Russia and if you have a few the night before - don't drive, either ;)

My wife says the alcohol blood limit is zero tolerance, as in "non-detectable."

Take a deep breath and drive 'defensively' ))

For sure, be a weenie.   A large number of road rage video clips seem to originate from Russia. 

My wife and I would drive around the Urals, and she did all the driving.  Traffic seemed normal to me except there were a few more aggressive drivers.   Moscow was a different story with traffic jams. 

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 11:21:21 AM »
    A large number of road rage video clips seem to originate from Russia. 

No translation necessary.........

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline msmob

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 02:48:22 PM »
My wife says the alcohol blood limit is zero tolerance, as in "non-detectable."

The limit was absolutely zero - but it was found that folks drink Orange Juice and eating bread had traces of alcohol in their breath - so the limit was RAISED :)

My wife and I would drive around the Urals, and she did all the driving.  Traffic seemed normal to me except there were a few more aggressive drivers.   Moscow was a different story with traffic jams.

Perhaps, it's because Sochi has a higher percentage from the s.Republics  ( Armenia, etc.,) ? But I find the percentage of aggressive drivers higher

For sure, be a weenie.   A large number of road rage video clips seem to originate from Russia. 

Having driven approx 20k miles on RU roads, I'm a weenie, alright ;)

Offline I/O

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 03:51:22 PM »
What I'm getting from this (and other sources) seems to gel with my general understanding.

1) National licence translated and notarised

2) IDP (International Driving Permit) although most automobile association sites list it as N/R for RU

3) Proof of ownership or rental contract for vehicle

4) Insurance documnetation

5) Passport / Visa etc

I'd be interested in Mendy's take if he's around....

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 03:59:39 PM »

The bigger question is, why would you want to?

Offline Jumper

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 01:13:31 AM »
Lol FP!

Good to see you around!

Offline I/O

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 02:06:12 PM »
The bigger question is, why would you want to?
Even bigger question is why would anyone be stupid enough to get mixed up with RW? What was I thinking...... :-\

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 09:29:48 AM »
Even bigger question is why would anyone be stupid enough to get mixed up with RW? What was I thinking...... :-\

Because they are there. As JFK once said "we do it not because it is easy but because it is hard". LOL Yes it is an ambiguous  sentence.

Brother, the deck is stacked against any foreigner who chooses to drive in Russia. As long as there is no accident you'll be fine. I have little doubt of your driving acumen given your profession but if there is an accident it will be your fault. High is the liability. Hire a driver

Offline BillyB

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 11:17:50 AM »

FWIW, this was told to me approximately 15 years ago. A UW once told me her cousin in Ukraine was a passenger in a car during an accident where there was a fatality. It's mandatory that one of the two drivers go to jail I was told. I asked which driver was at fault in front of 4 Ukrainian people. They all agreed the driver going at fault and going to jail has less money to bribe the cops.

Once in Russia and once in Uzbekistan the cops pulled over my taxi driver. They told me not to talk. I assume the bribe they have to give goes up if the cop knows there's a foreigner for a passenger. I also assumed trouble will come to me. In the FSU, you don't have to look for trouble because trouble comes looking for you.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 03:22:29 AM »
In the FSU, you don't have to look for trouble because trouble comes looking for you.

I've just driven from across a third of Russia and back

In a non Russian registered car and possessing an EU based driving licence - NEVER stopped in 6,000 km plus of driving

Your taxi driver was wise to ask you to keep sch-tum....if this is the sort of 'expert opinion' you post.

Now - if you are driving a FSU registered car and have a FSU licence - you MAY have a point ... That's why crash cams are all the rage 

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 10:12:18 AM »
The list from I/O seems accurate.

A few years back before mobile GPS was so popular, my wife and a daughter were driving back from Volgograd and due to some road construction found themselves on an unfamiliar stretch of road. A road patrol officer was parked by the side of the road so they pulled over and asked for directions.

She was fined something like 2,000 rubles, paid on the spot so it was really a bribe, for operating a motor vehicle without proper directions.  :wallbash:

I admire Moby's moxie, but am personally more cautious and only drive in cities, seldom in the country unless there are Russian family members with me.

It goes back to the old (but so true) joke:

At a 4 way stop there are 4 drivers at each intersection. One is Russian, two is Armenian, three is Uzbek, and four is Bulgarian. An accident occurs. Who is at fault?

The American (or these days the Brit).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:14:20 AM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Kunstkammer

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 07:39:50 AM »
I’ve had a Russian drivers license nearly 6 years, drive my car everyday in SPb. I’ve been stopped in random checks a few dozen times. Never paid a ruble in fines or bribes. Once you get used to the idiocy of most drivers it’s not so difficult. Just need to know if it’s worth it to drive to your destination. I have a parking spot at work, but I won’t drive there because the lack of an ability to turn left on most of Nevsky makes it quicker for me to take the metro to work.

I’m happy here the police are finally putting an end to the concept of ‘my 4 way flashers make anyplace I want a parking spot’ when 4 lane streets turn into 1 lane streets because Sergei or Svetlana think 1 block is too far to walk to the store it’s just annoying.
По всему Кавказу про нас слава ходит, наш дедушка, наш Ермолов на всех страх наводит.

Offline southernX

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 03:48:36 PM »
IO

i get my australian drivers licence checked and signed off for an international drivers licence at the local RAC here in australia , it usually valid for 1 year and cost about $50 bucks from memory , then take and carry both at all times if in the car

have used it randomly in ukraine and russia , but only in family vehicles that are owned by brother inlaw/ sister inlaw  etc and licenced there for short trips and never been stopped yet or had issues

however for most travel i use metro/rail  , taxis etc just purely as it is less hassle and risk imo   i think if all goes well with no issues you would be ok , but any problem arises , mendys quote applies imo so iv chosen not to take the extra risk on hire fo vehicles and long trips in either

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 11:30:54 AM »
Drove a rental twice in Ukraine, pulled over three time, no problems.
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1883
Total: 1894

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM