It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Poll

Did you meet your partner WMVM or WOVO?

You met your partner on a Write One Visit One trip (WOVO)
35 (67.3%)
You met your partner on a Write Many Visit Many trip (WMVM)
17 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Did you meet your partner WMVM or WOVO?  (Read 31481 times)

Offline Ade

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Did you meet your partner WMVM or WOVO?
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 01:53:01 PM »
Good thread/Poll, SJ. Placed my vote yesterday.

I was curious and I'm not sure if anyone asked yet, but the topic question simply keyed in between VM/VO without the distinction if the visits were the first and only time, or how many time the process (trip) was/were repeated/done..

Billy made the point too. And yes, the poll isn't perfect but hey, it gives a rough idea of how many here did the VO/VM thing and were successful. I'm a little surprised it's never been polled before or maybe it was and I missed it.

Anyone with sense can see that there's no single right answer; people can be successful either route if they make the right effort and they choose the method that suits them best. The only issue I've ever had with VM is that some directly or indirectly mislead and take advantage of certain expectations. But then again, some guys do similar things during VO trips too.  ::)

Offline Turboguy

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 02:20:45 PM »
"I met women in the FSU who could hide behind a flag pole and women who would have to shop in a Big Girls store. I cared more about inner qualities. "

Turbo, do you recognize this second quote?

Yep,  Bear in mind in the other quote I said I was "more attracted to" women who were not overweight.  That does not mean I would not consider a woman with more pounds than would be ideal.   Actually the last woman I met before my trip to meet VWRW was a good 40 pounds overweight and I thought she was a pretty nice gal that could have been interesting to get to know more.   

Offline JohnDearGreen

• It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2009, 03:39:56 PM »
I never agreed to meet any guy who is coming for many women :P He needs to convince me im interested in the vacancy of being his spouse, not the other way around , while competing with others, thats just ridiculous :P
Aloe:  You were competing with other ladies for the opportunity to be the one he emailed and selected.
Obviously ladies would prefer to be the only one selected.  That is a no-brainer.  If you turn the question around and ask it differently, your answer might be different.  What if you ask this question:  Would you prefer to be turned down by a man on the basis of a few emails and a fuzzy five minute web cam session?  Or would you prefer he come and meet you in person, along with several other ladies, before making the decision not to choose you?

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2009, 03:42:29 PM »
Nice post JD,  I would think it is better for the woman to have some choices of her man too.   It is smarter for both to meet before they make any committments.

Offline CanadaMan

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2009, 03:55:53 PM »
VM has an inherent, 'bad' connotation to it.
Is it 5, 10, 20 or more that we are talking about?

I personally think that a few new categories should be born on this site:

W2V2: write two visit two
W2VO: write two visit one
W3V3: write three visit three
W3V2: write three visit two
W3VO: write three visit one

These categories don't sound as mischievous or 'bad' as WMVM.

Offline CanadaMan

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2009, 03:59:14 PM »
I was all excited about taking part in this poll but I can't.
Although the thread title is "Did you meet your partner WMVM or WOVO?"
the actual poll asks a different question.

Offline BC

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2009, 04:03:52 PM »
VM has an inherent, 'bad' connotation to it.
Is it 5, 10, 20 or more that we are talking about?

I personally think that a few new categories should be born on this site:

W2V2: write two visit two
W2VO: write two visit one
W3V3: write three visit three
W3V2: write three visit two
W3VO: write three visit one

These categories don't sound as mischievous or 'bad' as WMVM.

A rose is a rose is a rose is a rose is a rose is a rose is a rose...
Red, pink, white, whatever..

Did you go to meet one woman, or did you go to meet more than one woman.. that is the question.

Offline RussianWind

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2009, 04:06:43 PM »

The actual question is as simple as a piece of paper: "Did you meet your partner when you visited only her on your trip or met few other women in this trip too?"
It's your problem if you take my posts too seriously.

Offline Ade

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »

I'm curious what question you think think is being asked?

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2009, 04:15:15 PM »
Just guessing but methinks maybe CM didn't fall in either category. He may be a) WNVM or b) WMVO.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline CanadaMan

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2009, 04:39:15 PM »
The actual question is as simple as a piece of paper...

No it's not.

The actual poll question is:
Did you meet your wife WMVM or WOVO?

The thread title is

Since I am not married, I cannot take part in the poll.

Offline RussianWind

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2009, 04:44:33 PM »
Show me a person who corresponed with just one man/woman. We are speaking of trips.

Could be also interesting to see how many trips poll partisipants took.

Offline Ade

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2009, 04:48:53 PM »
No it's not.

The actual poll question is:
Did you meet your wife WMVM or WOVO?

The thread title is

Since I am not married, I cannot take part in the poll.

Yes,sorry,  fixed that now. It was intended to be for those that met their wives and husbands on a VO or VM trip.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2009, 05:22:34 PM »

Could be also interesting to see how many trips poll partisipants took.
I don't have enough fingers and toes to count.  4 trips that were agency tours, probably a half dozen disasterous trips to meet one woman and one that let to an engagement and probably about 6- 8 or so where I met 2-4 women per trip, one of which led to marriage.   Then of course a number of follow up trips to visit my first fiancee or my current wife.

Offline Blues Fairy

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2009, 08:43:59 PM »
Would you prefer to be turned down by a man on the basis of a few emails and a fuzzy five minute web cam session?  Or would you prefer he come and meet you in person, along with several other ladies, before making the decision not to choose you?

May I answer?  Absolutely the first variant.  If a man turned me down on the basis of MY emails, he was certainly not worth my further attention.

Actually the above never happened; mostly it was I who turned men down based on their emails.

My answer to the poll: WOVO, or rather we both went to a third country to meet each other.   

Offline JohnDearGreen

• It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2009, 09:51:25 PM »
May I answer?  Absolutely the first variant.  If a man turned me down on the basis of MY emails, he was certainly not worth my further attention.
Actually the above never happened; mostly it was I who turned men down based on their emails.
My answer to the poll: WOVO, or rather we both went to a third country to meet each other.   
Assume you are go to the city dance tomorrow night.  Across the room you see a man, and he appears to be the man of your dreams.   Would you prefer he looks at you for 3 seconds, then turns his head and ignores you the rest of the evening.  OR would you prefer he comes over, talks to you for 5 minutes, then one or the other decides to end it.   OR would you prefer he comes over, talks to you for 5 minutes,  then you go out to the dance floor and slow dance to the c/w song they are playing.....Holding you I held everything.  For a moment wasn't I the king.  But if I'd only known how the king would fall.  Hey who's to say, you know I might have changed it all.  And now I'm glad I didn't know.  The way it all would end, the way it all would go.  Our lives are better left to chance, I could have missed the pain.  But I'd of had to miss the dance.  Yes, my life is better left to chance.
I could have missed the pain,  but I'd of had to miss the dance.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3674595221543443747#

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2009, 05:02:14 AM »
I have a question for BluesFairy and RussianWind.   Just curious if the man you married was the only man you met through the international dating scene?   I am not sure where I am going with this question but for the moment just curious if you found success on your first venture as someone would hope to do on a WOVO.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2009, 05:28:34 AM »
OK, so let's say we have this hypothetical lady who lists herself on some hypothetical agency and begins to get correspondence from two hypothetical men.    Lady H is 35 with a teen ager, nice looking average job etc.

Guy one writing her is 42, very handsome, athletic, married one time with no kids.   MBA from Harvard, employed by Ford motor as the Vice President of Finance. 

Guy two is OK looking, 50 pounds overweight, a taxi driver from Louisville Ky, married three times with 4 kids and alimony.

Guy one writes and says he thinks she is very special and he wants to make a trip to the FSU and spend a few days getting to know each other to see if they might have a future.  He mentions he is not looking for any commitments but thinks they could be right for each other and that they can learn more about each other in a few days of really talking face to face and if they do seem to be the right person for each other he will come back in a month and spend a few weeks really getting to know each other or they can meet someplace more exotic if she wishes. 

Guy two writes and says he has been saving his tip money for a year and would like to make a trip to visit just her for a week.

So, according to many here she should tell guy one to get lost that she would not lower herself to meet him and even the thought of meeting him would be repulsive and insulting and she should  jump up and down with excitement about guy two,  Right?

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2009, 05:51:15 AM »
Since my wife did not think my point was clear in my last post let me try to explain a bit more. 

First off I was not implying that any man who comes for a WOVO is more likely to be undesirable.  My point was more that if you had a really fantastic prospect who wanted to come visit you with no obligations except to see if you might have the potential to be the right people for each other.   He is not asking you for a test drive of your body, or to make any committments other than to spend a little time seeing if there is compatability and potential.   He is asking for no more than to take you to a few nice dinners and to get to know each other.

To me considering a request like that to be a horrible thing and insulting is foolish.  The more choices we have the less likely we are to make mistakes.   Is it that smart to be making tentative life committments to strangers we have never met.  Look at what happened to the guy in the other thread who though he found the one and when he visited found out she was shacking up with some older dude.

Offline RussianWind

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2009, 06:43:26 AM »
So, according to many here she should tell guy one to get lost that she would not lower herself to meet him and even the thought of meeting him would be repulsive and insulting and she should  jump up and down with excitement about guy two,  Right?

The idea of your example is not clear to me.

I will continue to write to someone who I find interesting and another one has to move to somebody else.

Your Harvard guy is a cliché of success. He can be as boring as suspenders for trousers.

I remember getting a letter from a guy who looked like a movie star with good education and expensive clothes. The first thing I said was "phew", the second was to write him a thank you letter but we had nothing in common at all. He was simply not my hero.

I also remember I had very nice conversations with a man a bit older than I expected, a bit overweight, father of four children... fortunately for me I think he lied about his divorce and was still married.

I will meet someone only if I feel we can be a good couple. The rest is chemistry to check in reality.

How many of you use video chats?

Offline Gylden

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2009, 06:51:35 AM »
RW,
My wife and I used video chat allmost every day, right from the beginning up until the day she moved here. Wouldn't have been without it!! I think it is one of the best tools for this endeavor!!
 8)

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2009, 07:00:14 AM »
The idea of your example is not clear to me.

I will meet someone only if I feel we can be a good couple. The rest is chemistry to check in reality.

Sorry if it was not clear.   I think meeting only those who you feel could make a good couple with you is very wise.  The idea of not meeting someone who has not made a special trip just to visit you does not sound wise to me.   It seems to me that it is a good way to find out if you might be a good couple and you could learn more sharing a nice dinner or two than all the video chat in the world. 

For me, never tried the video chat.

Offline RussianWind

« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2009, 07:24:15 AM »
The idea of not meeting someone who has not made a special trip just to visit you does not sound wise to me.  

If he wants to meet other girls on his trip, that means he is not interested in me much enough. If there is no interest, great excitement, I don't understand why we both need to spend our time for nothing.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 07:25:46 AM by RussianWind »

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2009, 07:54:14 AM »
I guess it is really an individual choice.   I will agree there is a lot more magic in the air when you are going to visit or are awaiting a visit for one person who thinks you are special and wonderful.   I have just been on the visiting side of that when the magic turned out to be black magic too many times to think it is wise but I do understand your feelings even though I may not agree with them. 

No matter who agrees or disagrees everyone has a right to decide what is right or acceptable for them.

Offline UTRO

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2009, 08:23:37 AM »
Perhaps the choice of WOVO vs WMVM is a personality thing?
I wonder if the typical WOVO kinda' guy is the same guy who concentrates on one Woman at a time back home in the West and the WMVM guy is the type who has many Women 'on the go' back home?
Perhaps the guy who fails at WMVM does so because he really is a WOVO type personality, and visa versa?
What are your thoughts guys?
Perhaps it's too simplistic a theory, but it might have merit.....
Myself, most definitely a WOVO type personality :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 08:26:19 AM by Utrobina »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1955
Total: 1964

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM