Forum > Research Projects

regional accents

<< < (3/3)

alex330:
My wife is from Odessa which has a distinct Russian accent of it's own. As a non speaker I am unable to tell, but native speakers apparently can.

lordtiberius:

--- Quote from: alex330 on April 04, 2015, 05:43:35 PM ---My wife is from Odessa which has a distinct Russian accent of it's own. As a non speaker I am unable to tell, but native speakers apparently can.

--- End quote ---

Супергуд!

Boethius:

--- Quote from: Lily on April 04, 2015, 05:34:40 PM ---I would say that people in Samara speak just like the Moscovites and St Petersburher do. Never noticed any difference. I was always susceptible to such things.

--- End quote ---

I can't speak for Samara, but the accents in Moscow and St. Petersburg are very different.  Muscovites speak very quickly, those in St. Petersburg do not.  I notice a real difference in the Russian of those two cities.

The better half says the Samara accent is different from both, it is very flat.

I've been fascinated in this subject for decades.  My interest arose in 1990, when I happened to listen to a radio interview about halfway through.  I assumed the speaker was an American, based on his flat Russian accent, but the language was flawless, unlike anything I'd ever heard a non Russian speak, ever.  I just had to know who this foreigner speaking perfect Russian was So, I asked my husband if he'd happened to hear who was being interviewed.  He laughed and told me it was a Russian politician.  By the expression on my face, he knew that surprised me, and he asked if I thought it was a foreigner.  He told me the politician was from Siberia, and that in that particular region, that is how they speak.  Since then, it is something I have developed an interest in.

Russian spoken in Ukraine is different from Russian spoken in Russia.  I would describe it as softer, though that is not 100% accurate.  However, one would  not hear a Russian say "sho" or even "shchto", but rarely hear anything else in Ukraine.

SANDRO43:
And parts of a person's native accent are often brought over when speaking a foreign language: I can often guess the nationality of someone using Italian or English as an acquired language.

Closed Os and velar Ls are dead giveaways for Russians/Ukrainians, as well as awkward double consonants ;).

SANDRO43:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version