It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML  (Read 317356 times)

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Gearing up for heating in Ukraine during the coming winter
« Reply #1326 on: June 26, 2022, 08:46:18 PM »
Wife's folks live in a stand alone house just outside a smaller town west of Kyiv.

Back in the late 1980s, they installed a gas fired furnace for heating.
Previously they burned coal.

Now there is a prospect of no gas, or at least greatly lessened amount, in the near future.

My wife arranged with a distant relative to purchase and install a modern coal and wood burning furnace adjacent to the gas furnace in her parent's house.

Her folks never get rid of anything (similar to myself), so they still have maybe a years worth or more of coal that's been in storage for over 30 years.

And there is an old falling down house on their property that pieces of wood can be taken from as needed to supplement the coal or for use just on cooler days.  My wife has been irritated forever about why this old house has not been taken down and the site cleaned up.  Now it will be useful.

Planning ahead !!
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

Good things follow from giving in to aggressive bullies.

Our parents (at least some of them) taught us this.

So best for the USA to save some money right now with respect to support for Ukraine against bully Putin and terrorist fascist Russia.

There will be no larger costs in terms of dollars or lives of USA military personnel in the future from giving in to bully Putin and terrorist fascist Russia right now.  History has proven this.

"Peace for our time" was a declaration made by British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain in his 30 September 1938 remarks in London after returning from a visit with Hitler in Germany.

There they had signed the (now) infamous Munich Agreement.

Chamberlain said that all Hitler wants is a piece of Czechoslovakia. 

If we let him have that, then Europe will be at peace, and lives and money will have been saved right now and in the future.

After Chamberlain left, bully Hitler turned to his group and said . . .

What a naive idiot, his parents must have taught him nothing !

And Germany began the invasion of Poland shortly thereafter.

But luckily for the USA, since Germany, Japan and Italy had not formed an alliance, we avoided involvement in WW II.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now in 2022, if we just let bully Putin have a piece of Ukraine, then he will be satisfied and Europe will be at peace.

And bully China will also look favorably upon us giving in to bully Putin and will cease all their own expansionist plans.

We in the USA can sleep soundly knowing that there will be no future threat to us or any other country.

There will be tremendous savings on military preparedness.

Unlike bully Hitler, bully Putin and terrorist fascist Russia (and bully China) can be trusted to abide by agreements.

And luckily for us, Russia and China have not agreed to any support for each other.   

Yes Putin and Xi signed an agreement in February 2022 that said " . . .  friendship between the two States has no limits, there are no ‘forbidden’ areas of cooperation . . ."

But I think they were just joking at the Olympics.

- - - - - - - - -

In 1994, USA, UK and Russia signed the Budapest Memorandum.

This agreement provided that, in turn for Ukraine giving up its nuclear weapons (which they did), USA, UK and Russia (later China and France also signed on) guaranteed they would not " . . . threatening or using military force or economic coercion against Ukraine . . ."

As far as I can ascertain, bully Putin and terrorist fascist Russia have abided by this agreement with respect to not invading Ukraine.  At least I haven't heard about any such.

So bully Putin (and all terrorist fascist Russians) can be trusted to abide by any future agreements signed with respect to ending the fascist Russian terrorist invasion of Ukraine.

And bully China has not helped bully Putin. 

As I understand, China (and India) have cut back totally on any purchases of Russian gas and oil, so as to reduce money bully Putin has to continue his fascist terrorist invasion of Ukraine.

Let bullies have what they want . . . and we will have a wonderful, peaceful world.
History has proven this over and over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum_on_Security_Assurances
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 10:11:33 AM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

Re: Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML
« Reply #1328 on: July 13, 2022, 05:45:39 AM »
Wife presented academic research paper at her first conference yesterday.

OMG, for that 30 minute presentation, she and I worked on it full time for two weeks.

She did all the math, of course, but I put in a lot of time with looking up references, learning how to format all the math formulations in the LaTex software package, how to program the codes to produce graphs, charts, etc., and finally the typing,

Put a lot of stress on us, but not to the extent of threatening our marriage like some of her previous academic stresses have.

Now final stage is still to fine tune her dissertation for defense in mid-August.  That should have been accomplished several months ago, but wife simply could not pull herself away from constant watching the Ukrainian news on various Internet sites.

Now that this push for the conference presentation is over, there is no certainty she won't go back to non-stop watching of news and screw up completion of her dissertation before Fall semester starts.

In that case, a good likelihood she will never finish; and 4 years of our lives will have been wasted on the PhD program.

Offline BC

« Reply #1329 on: July 13, 2022, 07:09:25 AM »
Learning is never wasted, ML ;)

For many, it's tough staying motivated with bad things going on back home.  Feeling any type of celebration is wrong, feeling useless, and even some shame about being able to live so well while so many others are suffering and losing all that they worked their whole lives for.

Going through somewhat similar circumstances with a family I'm sponsoring.

Offline ML

« Reply #1330 on: July 13, 2022, 08:41:52 AM »
Learning is never wasted, ML ;)

For many, it's tough staying motivated with bad things going on back home.  Feeling any type of celebration is wrong, feeling useless, and even some shame about being able to live so well while so many others are suffering and losing all that they worked their whole lives for.

Going through somewhat similar circumstances with a family I'm sponsoring.

BC, thanks for your comments here and more in your PM to me.

However, in the current case the 4 years on PhD will have been wasted.

She is going to be teaching the same courses that she did 4 years ago when she only had masters degree.

She finally went into PhD program because she was only working as adjunct back then, with assignments never a given from semester to semester.

However, this past spring she was finally hired full time as Instructor (with still only masters completed) which is all she really wanted anyway.

With PhD completed, she can move into Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor track.

But, if she doesn't complete PhD dissertation, she will be stuck at Instructor forever . . . which she could have achieved with only Masters degree.

So yes, in that case, the last 4 years will have been wasted.  Sure she learned a lot of high level stuff . . . which she will never ever use again . . . and is no better at cooking, sex, conversation (because I will NEVER understand any of it), etc., than she was before.

And we have both aged considerably and had our health deteriorate significantly from the experience . . . more than we would have without the experience.

Her PhD was much harder on me, than my own was.

Offline BC

« Reply #1331 on: July 13, 2022, 09:57:27 AM »

However, this past spring she was finally hired full time as Instructor (with still only masters completed) which is all she really wanted anyway.

Sounds good to me..

Maybe your wife found a nice niche that lies well within her lifestyle expectations and comfort zone?  Would a Ph.D. be overqualified for that position?

Would it be safe to assume that with her smarts, she enjoys being at the top of the pack without an imposing title, rather than just another newbie Ph.D. in a different environment, expected to publish publish publish and make the coffee?

IIRC my dad stopped at masters+. I suspect he felt a Ph.D. would distance him from the classroom and student group/age he felt he could help the most...

Maybe your expectations are playing a greater role than is healthy?  I'm pretty sure you are very proud of her accomplishments, getting greedy? hahaha.

Yeah... lots of questions.... LOL.

Offline ML

« Reply #1332 on: July 13, 2022, 02:18:36 PM »
BC, I don't expect anyone to keep fully up to date, but to expand:

She has finished 4 years of PhD coursework, has passed the final written and final oral exam for PhD, and has worked on dissertation for one year.
She is due to finish within 4 weeks.

So this is not something she is contemplating starting.

And to repeat what I wrote years ago . . . I did not push her to do PhD.
So not my 'expectations.'

Anyway, we are getting far afield  here, as I was originally only addressing your comment about 'learning is never wasted' and pointing out that 'ex post' her 4 years of learning was wasted, given where she ended up.

And she has ended up right where she wanted originally . . . before starting PhD.

But we both lost four years of our life, both aged considerably, and both suffered declines in health from the process.

Offline BC

« Reply #1333 on: July 14, 2022, 02:55:49 AM »
ML,

ahh... I linked the efforts for a Ph.D. with helping to address the desire for a permanent position.

Guess my math didn't add up correctly :)

Wishing you both the very best.

Offline ML

Ukrainian soldier killed in Kherson region
« Reply #1334 on: August 08, 2022, 10:10:55 AM »
We just heard today from one of the Ukrainian gals who is local here and part of our group.

Her male cousin was killed on Saturday while engaged in operations in the Kherson Region.

Mid 30s age.

He was an only child and she was an only child.
They were born the same year and were very close while growing up; more like brother and sister.

He had volunteered first day of invasion.
He had been back in his home area for a short rest, and had just returned to the battle zone the day before he was killed.

Offline ML

Ukrainian wife in full distress
« Reply #1335 on: August 08, 2022, 10:16:02 AM »
My wife's closest relative joined volunteer army on first day of invasion.
He is now part of regular army in the medical category.
He was stationed around Kyiv for a few months, and then sent to the front lines in Kharkiv area.
Now he has been given orders to rotate back to Kyiv.
He has resisted and doesn't want to leave the front lines.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Re: Ukrainian soldier killed in Kherson region
« Reply #1336 on: August 08, 2022, 06:29:13 PM »

He had volunteered first day of invasion.

When will people learn to never volunteer!
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Chelseaboy

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #1337 on: August 09, 2022, 04:25:50 AM »
When will people learn to never volunteer!

Hmmm'

As you know Ukrainian men between the ages of 18-60 can't do a runner to another country as you would.

So you either volunteer or wait to be called-up to fight the orc invaders.

Now,if all the men there took your attitude ,then no-one would volunteer.

This would mean the orcs would soon overrun the country and coming to where you live very soon.

Personally i'd rather die with a weapon in my hands,alongside friends and colleagues..killing as many orcs as i can until they kill me.

Or you can be Billy no mates,with your neighbours looking at you with derision, and wait until the orcs break into your home,tie your hands behind your back and if you're lucky shoot you in the back of the head..or if you're unlucky they'll castrate you before killing you.

Of course men with plenty of money,which you haven't, had the third option of legging it and giving up their home before the 18-60 law was brought in.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 04:35:28 AM by Chelseaboy »
Just saying it like it is.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1338 on: August 09, 2022, 06:24:02 AM »

Hmmm'

As you know Ukrainian men between the ages of 18-60 can't do a runner to another country as you would.

So you either volunteer or wait to be called-up to fight the orc invaders.

Now,if all the men there took your attitude ,then no-one would volunteer.

This would mean the orcs would soon overrun the country and coming to where you live very soon.

Personally i'd rather die with a weapon in my hands,alongside friends and colleagues..killing as many orcs as i can until they kill me.

Or you can be Billy no mates,with your neighbours looking at you with derision, and wait until the orcs break into your home,tie your hands behind your back and if you're lucky shoot you in the back of the head..or if you're unlucky they'll castrate you before killing you.

Of course men with plenty of money,which you haven't, had the third option of legging it and giving up their home before the 18-60 law was brought in.

In reality virtually any Ukrainian guy can leave as the border with the EU nations is long and porous. So long as the guy scouts well around the border checkpoints he is highly unlikely to be caught if going right out into the wilderness to cross. Running into the border force on the other side is no problem as they are excepting any refugees including men. Ukraine hasn't the resources to patrol the border with the EU so probability of success is high. Some Ukrainian men have if course taken this way out. All depends how they view it I guess.

In terms of volunteers the Army became inundated with so many they didn't know what to do with. It's takes time to train and then they use as needed. Better to wait to be called up as the odds of surviving are usually better as less time at the front means less time exposed to risk. All depends on your life and how you view life I think.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline ML

Dr Ochka
« Reply #1339 on: August 13, 2022, 09:12:06 AM »
Ochka successfully defended her PhD dissertation in Mathematics the past week.
So now she has the title of Dr., but she still can't repair my broken bones or cure my future diseases.

And she has been hired full time to teach at the University which is very rare as Universities don't like to hire back their own graduates.
Something about academic incest.  The goal is to bring in those trained somewhere else with ideas and knowledge different from existing faculty.

But she is known as such a superior teacher, they didn't want her to get away.

So what does this all mean?

1) Unlike in some (most?) other countries of the world, in USA age is not a barrier to starting and finishing academic work at the highest levels.

2) FSU gals (some) can come to the west, become proficient in English,
 achieve much in education, and attain gainful prestigious  employment.

3) Downside:
a) both of our health's have declined due to the ordeal of attaining PhD.  The mental strain and the severe decline in physical activity because of lack of time.
b) I would rather have a 'stay at home wife' at this stage of my life.

Offline BC

« Reply #1340 on: August 13, 2022, 11:40:28 AM »
No pain, no gain ML.

Upside, you'll be able to afford a caretaker.

Offline BC

« Reply #1341 on: August 13, 2022, 11:52:18 AM »
And hearty congratulations to you both!

Offline ML

Sad story
« Reply #1342 on: August 23, 2022, 06:08:30 PM »
Young PhD from another country arrived here Fall 2021 for a 2 year appointment as 'Post Doctoral.'

His girlfriend came separately later on tourist visa.
They had no car (he did have drivers license) but lived maybe 3-4 miles from university and walking no big deal for such folks.

Wife befriended them and even drove to bring them to our house twice, and we drove them to other events twice.  They got married here in May and then she was able to return on his visa status.

Last week he told my wife that he was going to buy a car.
A relative of a friend of a relative of a friend of a neighbor who knew his barber . . . was going to get him a good deal.

A flag went up in my mind . . . but I decided to stay quiet.

Today she tells me we are going to pick them up tomorrow to go to Ukrainian Independence Day celebrations.

I said:  What about their car ?

She says:  He gave $2,500 cash to the guy as half payment for a $5,000 car . . . and now the guy disappeared.

She continued:  I told him . . . OMG why didn't you discuss this with my husband (me) before you did this !!

Great for the image of USA folks.

Offline ML

Another sad story
« Reply #1343 on: August 23, 2022, 06:29:22 PM »
I picked up wife after her teaching today and we looked at a couple of Condos that were just a 10-15 minute walk from university and overlooking river.

Thinking of buying such as a place for her to stay during heavy snows, or maybe we will both stay there most of the winter.

Anyway . . . she later wanted to go to a restaurant and I had noticed that a new Turkish restaurant opened in town.  We had enjoyed such on our previous visits to Turkey.

A 50ish distinguished looking fellow was our waiter.
He spoke decent English but very softly.

After ordering, I got up to go wash my hands and experienced a very sharp pain in my back.  I could not straighten up for several seconds.

He had observed and came over to me and said:
You should not get up like you did from a half turned position.
He sat in my chair and demonstrated how to rise.

I said:  Where are you from and what did you do there?

He replied:  I am a Kurd and was living in southern Turkey working as an orthopedic doctor.

Offline BC

« Reply #1344 on: August 24, 2022, 05:43:18 AM »
ML,

many years ago, when I was in Germany, my back molars gave me pain signals. I called a few dentists, and appointments were not directly available.  I called one more with a strange name, and he said to come by anytime.  I drove to the address he gave and found an old stone mansion-type house that looked like it was from an Adams Family movie, even the furnishings.  No other patients were there. He noticed I was not German, and I found out he was from Turkey. He took me back to his studio, filled with dental chair and equipment from the Frankenstein era but all very clean. I don't recall exactly, but I wonder if the dentist's drill setup had pedals. I was sure I needed a couple of fillings, but he insisted otherwise and filed down a couple of molars back there. Dubiously, I paid his very reasonable fee and went home.  A day later, the pain was gone. 

Offline ML

Ireland - Ukraine update
« Reply #1345 on: August 30, 2022, 03:07:54 PM »
I posted this back in April.
Recall that wife's one close relative and her two young boys, and her two female cousins escaped to Ireland to live with wife's other close relative.

Wife has townhouse there, but it was rented out.
Renters were asked to leave, but it was found that Ireland has law that renters can stay (after eviction notice) one month for every year they have rented.  That was 7 years.

But renters agreed to leave anyway last Monday.

Wife's relatives shocked to find the poor state of cleanliness in the townhouse.  But given there were three 30 something UWs available to clean, no real problem.  Some plastering needed for holes in walls and some other minor damage needing repair also.

But everyone happy that no longer 4 women, 4 children and one man living in Ireland relative's single family dwelling.  Probably the one man most of all !!!

- - - - - - - - -

The two female cousins (mid to late 30s) left Ireland today to fly back to Ukraine.
I didn't think this was a good plan, but they went anyway.

My wife's close relative with the two young sons (9 and 7) wanted to go also, but didn't.

And my wife was quite irritated with her for a couple of weeks in that she said she wasn't going to enroll the boys in Irish school and they would attend Ukrainian classes via Zoom.

But she did change her mind and enrolled the boys in Irish school.

She had also earlier applied to teach in Irish school.  They first told her nothing available, but today called and asked her to fill out paperwork for security clearance checking, etc.

She had at end of Spring semester finished up a thesis for masters degree and got certified by Ukrainian University to teach English in Ukraine.

Don't think they will have her teaching English in Ireland, but probably need someone to help the Ukrainian students enrolled in the Irish school to transition to English.

Offline Daveman

Re: Dr Ochka
« Reply #1346 on: August 31, 2022, 07:20:34 PM »
Ochka successfully defended her PhD dissertation in Mathematics the past week.
So now she has the title of Dr., but she still can't repair my broken bones or cure my future diseases.

And she has been hired full time to teach at the University which is very rare as Universities don't like to hire back their own graduates.
Something about academic incest.  The goal is to bring in those trained somewhere else with ideas and knowledge different from existing faculty.

But she is known as such a superior teacher, they didn't want her to get away.

Well alright!! Belated Congratulations Dr. Ochka!!   +Impressive accomplishments!

The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Offline ML

Due diligence for student loans and Moral Hazard
« Reply #1347 on: September 05, 2022, 04:08:06 PM »
The fundamental flaw with student loans is a lack of due diligence. If you apply for a bank loan or credit card, the lender looks at your financial condition and estimates your ability to repay.

That doesn’t happen with student loans. If a student is accepted at
a school, he/she gets a loan regardless of his/her chances to graduate or the earnings potential of his/her course of study.

This flaw can be fixed: The government should lend to schools, and the schools lend to the students. Since the school would be on the hook for the debt, it would be forced to act with due diligence in making its loans. 

Very quickly there would be a tremendous drop in the students admitted to degree programs that provide no employment prospects or none with earnings potential to pay back the loans.

And the fundamental flaw with loan forgiveness is the Moral Hazard it creates.

google Moral Hazard.

Lack of incentive to guard against risk where one is protected from its consequences.

Moral hazard is a situation in which a party engages in risky behavior or fails to act in good faith because it knows others (taxpayers in this case) will bear the economic consequences of their behavior.

Moral hazard is occurring right now when the decision is made to bail out those who owe student loan debt.

In the current situation, this applies to both students and universities with respect to student loans.

Very few will not understand that this current bailout will lead to even more bad behavior on the side of both students and universities as they count on future bailouts.

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #1348 on: September 05, 2022, 07:35:19 PM »
The GREATER moral hazard is creating a capitalistic society that values profit over people
one that monetizes social services like health and education at a high cost so that it can privatize profits for those at the top, while shoving ever increasing costs to the people at the bottom
for example UnitedHealthcare is a Wall Street Hedge fund that receives it’s funding from profits from healthcare premiums and plays the market with it.  Obamacare capped health insurance profits at 20%, pre Obamacare, they were higher, partially by not insuring anyone with any kind of pre-existing condition, thereby assuring their customers were ONLY perfectly healthy people to maximize profits.
Many people without health insurance died, I consider that a much more serious moral hazard

Europe mostly subsidizes education and health care and they have better outcomes than their more expensive US counterparts.  The return on this investment for education is a more productive work force that will pay higher taxes, for example I went to school on the GI bill, and the extra income my education earned me, repaid the government’s education support many, many fold…

the government didn’t directly loan students the money, they loaned the money to banks, at .25 to .50 discount rate interest, who in turn loaned it to students at MUCH higher interest, this is the way US capitalism works…

the problem with giving a $trillion+ dollar debt to young people, is their money goes to the banks, and the top .1 % instead of into the “real economy”

basic economics will tell you that wealth concentration at the top is “unhealthy”
you can take a $billion and give it to one guy at a hedge fund, and how many cars, air conditioners and other goods and services will this one guy buy?
Vrs taking a $billion and distributing $10,000 to 100,000 people
this is called “aggregate consumer demand”
unequal wealth distribution decreases aggregate consumer demand, and will slow the economy
so this action will not only benefit students, but the entire society, far better to do this than to cut taxes once again on the wealthy and corporations

for a guy who is supposed to be mentally deficient, Dark Brandon has made some shrewd political moves
but I think his best ones are yet to come...
must really suck being a Trump voter now...
and let's not forget that Trump himself had over 280 million dollars in debt forgiven
http://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2020/10/27/report-trump-had-over-280-million-in-debt-forgiven-and-avoided-paying-taxes-on-most-of-it/?sh=4b88ce667ac4
did that moral hazard worry you when you voted for him???

« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 07:57:22 PM by krimster2 »

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #1349 on: September 09, 2022, 08:14:39 PM »
land of the late fee
and home of the debt slave

Marx said:

elites use the banks to run their extraction mechanism against the poor and middle class.  they use the forces of financialization (debt to the State-approved banking cartels) that are used to indenture the populace to the banking center:

this is how ya gotta look at it
and once you do, you realize things are NEVER gonna go back to "NORMAL"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541007
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1896
Total: 1907

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM