Forum > Research Projects

Translation of "въроисповъданіямь"

<< < (2/5) > >>

Strider:
OK, so under a listing for each governorate, there is a category labeled "Уъзды".  This appears to be an idiomatic usage of the word that translates as "bridle".  It may signify exonyms, different from endonyms, or some other imposed controlling structure.  So, what English word is better than "bridle" for "Уъзды"?

Boethius:
It’s county, not bridle, according to my husband.

This post was composed without the aid of google.

Strider:
Thank you.  The source is back in tsarist times when the local count may well have been expected to bridle the local population.  It makes sense that way.

Strider:
From what I can find online, "Вотяки" is an older name for the Udmurts. 

Did "Вотяки" previously only refer to the Udmurts or also to other Finno-Ugric tribes or peoples?

What is the derivation/literal translation of ""Вотяки"?  "Вот я" can translate something like "I am here", so did this originally refer to "local" people who did not belong to the dominate Slavic ethnic groups?

Thanks!

mhr7:

--- Quote from: Strider on June 21, 2019, 02:05:42 AM ---From what I can find online, "Вотяки" is an older name for the Udmurts. 

Did "Вотяки" previously only refer to the Udmurts or also to other Finno-Ugric tribes or peoples?

What is the derivation/literal translation of ""Вотяки"?  "Вот я" can translate something like "I am here", so did this originally refer to "local" people who did not belong to the dominate Slavic ethnic groups?

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

Foreigners from a Finnish tribe from the eastern part of Vyatka province.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version