It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Knowing her language..why it is useful.  (Read 7116 times)

Offline I/O

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Knowing her language..why it is useful.
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2020, 10:45:14 AM »
I am not aware of an AA(A) breakdown service in Russia...
RUAMC

Offline msmob

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2020, 11:28:45 AM »
http://www.ruamc.ru/en

AND.. they have a Sochi branch

Thank you VERY much, I/O

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 11:31:02 AM by msmob »

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2020, 04:44:31 PM »
Speaking of languages . . . we regularly watch Rick Steves' travel segments on PBS.

Wife notices how many of the words in Poland, Czech, Slovakia, etc., are similar to Ukrainian words.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmob

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2020, 08:53:24 PM »
Your wife is bang on.. That's because such nations languages ARE closer..

Russian is the least close cousin.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2020, 01:05:24 AM »
No, I believe that's untrue.  All those languages are based on Old Church Slavonic.  There was a split at some point, but Ukrainian grammar is more similar to Russian than it is to any Western Slavic language.  Serbian and Russian are probably the closest to each other, although the Serbs have adopted many Turkish origin words.   The next closest is Ukrainian and Russian (I'd say about 75-80%), then Czech and Russian (probably about the same as Ukrainian). 

Ukrainian lexicon has similarities to both Eastern and Western Slavic languages.  Many words are the same as in Western Slavic languages (kachka for duck, for example, which is used in Western Slavic languages, but is originally a Turkish root word), but it also uses many words that are similar to Russian, or Ukrainian has words similar to both.  For example, in Western Ukraine, many Ukrainians used "harbata" for tea (herbata in Polish, and this is a Polish influence), but in Ivano Frankivsk, where people always spoke Ukrainian, most people use "chai" (same as Russian).  Ukrainians use zhuravel, butsel, and leleka for stork, depending on the region.  In some, people use all three.  Most Ukrainians would use "shlunku" for stomach, but in most regions of Ivano Frankivsk, they would use "zheludok", which Russians use as well.  Ukrainians use "ochi" for eyes.  That is used in Western Slavic languages, but was also used in Old Church Slavonic, and at one point in Russian, though no longer.

There are regions of Ukraine where the population speaks a Ukrainian dialect that I have trouble understanding (for example, around the Chernobyl' region).  The better half, a native Russian speaker who taught himself Ukrainian as a teen, has no issue understanding any dialect across Ukraine, and his Ukrainian is so fluent that the old generation here, who emigrated from Ukraine as adults and who largely spoke Ukrainian and sometimes, Polish, assumed he was a native speaker.  His "ov" endings are Russian ("off"), however, this is how native Ukrainians in say, Kyiv, now speak, the result of intense Russification. Note - When I pointed this out to him, he told me he is saying it correctly, but I know that was not the case, although arguably, we're both right, as languages evolve.  He also knows Old Church Slavonic, so he can speak many Slavic languages fluently.  He once told me that Ukrainian is the "key" language to learning all the Slavic languages, but I suspect knowing OCS is probably as, if not more, important.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 01:15:23 AM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline mhr7

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2020, 01:22:32 AM »
I found this online-

Modern research shows that the Ukrainian language is closer to other Slavic languages: Belarusian (29 common characteristics), Czech and Slovak (23), Polish (22), Croatian and Bulgarian (21), and only 11 common characteristics with Russian.

Some linguists, on the basis of these facts, even place doubt that Russian and Ukrainian should be placed in a single language group.

Statistics show that only 62% of words shared between Russian and Ukrainian have common characteristics. Therefore, the Russian language in relation to similarities with Ukrainian, sits at fifth place behind Polish, Czech, Slovak, and Belarusian. To note in comparison, English and Dutch are lexically more similar at 63% in shared common characteristics, which is more than Russian and Ukrainian.

http://folkways.today/different-russian-ukrainian-language/

I was always under the impression Ukrainian was closer to Belarusian and Polish than it was to Russian. But my Russian friends have told me that Russian and Polish are very close to each other as well even though Polish has several of its own sounds and I believe 1 more case, as does Ukrainian, yes?
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline Boethius

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2020, 01:31:47 AM »
Polish and Russian also have many similarities.  Ukrainian is one of my mother tongues (English is the other), and I found Russian, for me, to be the easiest to understand of all the Slavic languages.  I have never heard Belarussian, so I can't comment on it.  My mother finds Russian and Polish to be equally easy to understand. 

I think that now, Russian and Ukrainian are more closely related because of intense Russification in Ukraine throughout most of the 20th century. 

The better half says there are more similarities between Ukrainian and Russian than Polish and Russian, but he has also said that Russian and Polish are very similar.  He noted that many parts of what is now Russia (Smolensk, for example) were once ruled by Poles.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline mhr7

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2020, 02:08:51 AM »
I know prominent linguist John McWhorter has said that Polish is the most difficult Slavic language for a native English speaker to learn. He tried learning Russian and came to the conclusion that it is a hoax played on the world by the Russians because no one could actually speak such a difficult language.
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline msmob

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2020, 02:18:03 AM »
Jeez,  am I about to try to 'argue the point with a near native speaker.. ?)

In 2004 I dated a professional of Language methodology .  She spoke Serbo-Croat, Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Czech, English and Gerrman..than I can remember.

She showed my a chart of interactions / commonality between the Slavic languages and I based my words on her research.

Russian had the least commonality, but indeed S.Croat was closer than Ukrainian to Russian.

I will dig out the chart. It lies on an old hard drive from the early naughties ..but I thought I had posted it here.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2020, 02:41:47 AM »
I know prominent linguist John McWhorter has said that Polish is the most difficult Slavic language for a native English speaker to learn. He tried learning Russian and came to the conclusion that it is a hoax played on the world by the Russians because no one could actually speak such a difficult language.

I suspect that is his subjective opinion.  Ukrainian has one more case than does Russian or Polish, although it is rarely used.  I suspect all Slavic languages are about the same, in terms of difficulty learning for non native speakers.  I don't know why I found Russian easier to understand than Polish.  I heard Polish from time to time as a child, but never Russian.  Perhaps it's the sounds?  Russian and Ukrainian have that as well, but it's more subtle, as many of those sounds exist in English, but not in the same way ("l" for example).

Jeez,  am I about to try to 'argue the point with a near native speaker.. ?)

In 2004 I dated a professional of Language methodology .  She spoke Serbo-Croat, Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Czech, English and Gerrman..than I can remember.

She showed my a chart of interactions / commonality between the Slavic languages and I based my words on her research.

Russian had the least commonality, but indeed S.Croat was closer than Ukrainian to Russian.

I will dig out the chart. It lies on an old hard drive from the early naughties ..but I thought I had posted it here.

I am a native speaker of Ukrainian.  The better half is a native speaker of Russian, and I would consider him a native speaker of Ukrainian, because his Ukrainian is of native fluency and he has a Kyivan Ukrainian accent.  He never mixes the languages, and can't speak surzhyk.

Here is a recent study that found a linguistic similarity of just under 75% between Russian and Ukrainian.

http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/W19-0802.pdf

Google was used to find the above cite.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 02:47:37 AM by Boethius »

Offline japtats

• Restricted
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2020, 07:37:28 AM »
Work on your income rather than your russian ability. A lot of people in FSU speak English already , a lot of members in this forum had their wives leave them when their income took a hit. Doesn't matter what you say in Russian, stop over complicating stuff , work on things that matter rather than distract yourself with the next shiny thing

I have muscles and tattoos , I been able to pull off being broke and dated very beautiful women, but I am an outlier . Not a typical bloke . I still will say work on your income , there is plenty women fluent in English . Focus on them , if you cannot make it work with them , then I question if you are a man of value . , if you are not a man of value . Become a man of value , stop looking for dumb shortcuts, go work harder on your income, go to the gym , stop being a Pussy

Russian takes 1500 hours to learn , plus you need to continuously practice .if you are someone where it is required for your income , go for it

« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 09:05:39 AM by japtats »

Offline japtats

• Restricted
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2020, 08:09:53 AM »
Reminds there was a fellow on another forum , he was fluent in russian, wanted to be a english teacher, and live in moscow, 3 months in moscow, he didn't get laid, i don't know how long it took him to get laid. But each woman he met had no attraction to him. I been Moscow countless times, if you have your shit together, don't look like you just came out of an car accident , you have NO EXCUSE TO HAVE BLUE BALLS. He simply focused way too much on learning russian to impress women, and not on the other stuff, i bet the women he met were already fluent in english.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Knowing her language..why it is useful.
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2020, 11:03:16 AM »
Reminds there was a fellow on another forum , he was fluent in russian, wanted to be a english teacher, and live in moscow, 3 months in moscow, he didn't get laid, i don't know how long it took him to get laid. But each woman he met had no attraction to him. I been Moscow countless times, if you have your shit together, don't look like you just came out of an car accident , you have NO EXCUSE TO HAVE BLUE BALLS. He simply focused way too much on learning russian to impress women, and not on the other stuff, i bet the women he met were already fluent in english.

If he spent 3 months in Moscow then there were probably multiple reasons that he
wasn't getting any TLC from the women there.   

When you know what you are doing, knowing what you are about, knowing what
you want gives you confidence and women all around the world LOVE confidence.
Lacking confidence or worse showing desperation is an anti-aphrodisiac.   

Ben Stiller rubs one out before meeting Mary so he doesn't come across as desperate.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline japtats

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2020, 11:22:58 AM »
If he spent 3 months in Moscow then there were probably multiple reasons that he
wasn't getting any TLC from the women there.   

When you know what you are doing, knowing what you are about, knowing what
you want gives you confidence and women all around the world LOVE confidence.
Lacking confidence or worse showing desperation is an anti-aphrodisiac.   

Ben Stiller rubs one out before meeting Mary so he doesn't come across as desperate.

Well he was previously married to a FSUW, moved to the West with her, after a few years, she left him (i presume after the greencard).

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2020, 11:52:42 AM »

I remember doing this twice when I was meeting a gal for third time (different gals) and I thought there wasn't much of a chance for sex and I already had blue balls.

I was wrong both times, they were aggressive, and I regretted my earlier action.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2020, 12:20:48 PM »
Work on your income rather than your russian ability. A lot of people in FSU speak English already , a lot of members in this forum had their wives leave them when their income took a hit. Doesn't matter what you say in Russian, stop over complicating stuff , work on things that matter

If you are marrying for money, then of course a hit to income will result in divorce.  If you marry for love, it won't.

Offline msmob

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2020, 12:21:41 PM »
I had blue balls when I was sailing in '73 and capsized in February ( I wasn't at the helm) and wasn't wearing a wet suit

You guys across the pond screwed up re English meanings, again ! ;)

"chiefly US slang. : pain of the testes and scrotum occurring after prolonged sexual arousal without orgasm"

Persistent genital arousal disorder (PGAD) is, typically,  not relieved by orgasm and it is not confined to males ...

Offline japtats

• Restricted
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2020, 12:36:10 PM »

If you are marrying for money, then of course a hit to income will result in divorce.  If you marry for love, it won't.

That is not the point (Another strawman attempt , i notice this is your style), the point is income is much more important. You made a comment on here about being a man for sorting out an issue. Why not pay someone? Am i less of a man because i cannot fix a leaking tap? I call my landlord, they bring someone in a few hours, it is done. I pay someone.

Is Elon Musk , Jeff Bezos less intelligent than you because they can only speak ONE language? They are focused changing the world, please go read about on Elon Musk, and try make the argument that a FSUW will think he is less of a man because he cannot speak to a mechanic in Russian. Sometimes i wonder what some of you are really thinking.

We have 24 hours in a day, some of us choose to spend it on working on areas we feel are more important than learning a language, to look for a short period of time. That is the point, not if the language is useful, but how useful it is? Compared to other areas, ML put it perfectly, maybe read his post again, and try and comprehend what he wrote.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 12:38:17 PM by japtats »

Offline msmob

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2020, 12:44:14 PM »
That is not the point (Another strawman attempt , i notice this is your style), the point is income is much more important. You made a comment on here about being a man for sorting out an issue. Why not pay someone? Am i less of a man because i cannot fix a leaking tap? I call my landlord, they bring someone in a few hours, it is done. I pay someone.

Is Elon Musk , Jeff Bezos less intelligent than you because they can only speak ONE language? They are focused changing the world, please go read about on Elon Musk, and try make the argument that a FSUW will think he is less of a man because he cannot speak to a mechanic in Russian. Sometimes i wonder what some of you are really thinking.

We have 24 hours in a day, some of us choose to spend it on working on areas we feel are more important than learning a language, to look for a short period of time. That is the point, not if the language is useful, but how useful it is? Compared to other areas, ML put it perfectly, maybe read his post again, and try and comprehend what he wrote.

FACTS:

Elon Musk is a native of S.Africa and in all likelihood understands Afrikaans even if he doesn't speak it so well .. He may know some Khosa and Zulu..

Jeff Bezos is born of a Cuban father who didn't speak English 'til 16..  It is pretty likely his son knows some some Spanish ..

Guess what... ?  Their respective parents learnt the local lingo..

Penny dropping for folks who doth protest too much ?

Offline Boethius

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2020, 01:18:46 PM »

Learning enough of a language, particularly in a country in which you are living, is about respect to the country you are living in.  It also doesn't hurt to learn a bit about its culture. That is hardly a "strawman" argument.

I didn't post that one must be a man to sort out an issue.  You misunderstood this, partly, I suspect, because you (a) read literally; (b) have never been in a long term relationship (I mean more than say, five years); and (c) don't understand a woman's mentality.   The point was that a wife wanted her man to sort out the issue for her.  As I posted. I have little doubt SC could have sorted the issue out for herself.  What she wanted was not for moby to fix the car.  She wanted him to show her that she mattered to him, so much so, that he was willing to sort out a relatively minor issue with her car from thousands of miles away.  Not every woman would have done this.  Some would have called the motor association.  Others would have called a relative or neighbour.  SC may have done one of those things in any event.  What she wanted to know was that her man cared enough about her that he was willing to deal with the problem.  It has zero to do with money.  It's about the time and caring he devotes to her.  Obviously, you don't understand that because you focus on money.  You will attract a woman based on the "bait" you use.  Use money as your lure, and you will attract a particular type. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want.  But what binds you together will be money, and little more. 

I never said anything about intelligence.  And again, you missed the point.  See above.

I understood what ML posted perfectly well, probably better than did you.  Is posting here more useful than learning the language of the country in which you are currently living?  Or earning income?  Or even chasing girls?

« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:34:42 PM by Boethius »

Offline japtats

• Restricted
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2020, 01:38:39 PM »
Obviously, you don't understand that because you focus on money.  You will attract a woman based on the "bait" you use.  Use money as your lure, and you will attract a particular type. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want.  But what binds you together will be money, and little more.  [/size]

What baits them is my tinder profile is me in my boxers topless, with rope and BDSM gear. The icing on the cake is when they talk to me and realise i am not a fool who poses with IphoneX on contract, wearing a blazer that cost half of monthly earnings. The women i attract actually want a lot less than what i earn, they want stability. But for me, my focus (I need to correct you), is not about money, it is being the best i can be, in what i do. Hence why i value creators, and people who actually make bold moves, whereas you value people who talk about books, specific authors and such. We admire different things in people, even from our conversations, it is clear your interest in more in money than myself, i like helping people, which as of result generates a small income, which grows as i get better at what i do, which i enjoy doing.

I understood what ML posted perfectly well, probably better than did you.  Is posting here more useful than learning the language of the country in which you are currently living?  Or earning income?  Or even chasing girls?
[/b]

Bit of a random thing to say? I post here as it helps me understand certain things, also i need timeout from doing what i do, as it requires a lot of mental concentration.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:41:29 PM by AnonMod »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2020, 01:44:43 PM »
What baits them is my tinder profile is me in my boxers topless, with rope and BDSM gear. The icing on the cake is when they talk to me and realise i am not a fool who poses with IphoneX on contract, wearing a blazer that cost half of monthly earnings. The women i attract actually want a lot less than what i earn, they want stability. But for me, my focus (I need to correct you), is not about money, it is being the best i can be, in what i do. Hence why i value creators, and people who actually make bold moves, whereas you value people who talk about books, specific authors and such. We admire different things in people, even from our conversations, it is clear your interest in more in money than myself, i like helping people, which as of result generates a small income, which grows as i get better at what i do, which i enjoy doing.

No and no.  You know nothing about me, about what I have lived, how I have lived, or what interests me, in people or otherwise. You are absolutely incorrect on both of the above bolded points.

Bit of a random thing to say? I post here as it helps me understand certain things, also i need timeout from doing what i do, as it requires a lot of mental concentration.

Given you disagree with everything everyone posts here, how does it help you understand anything?

Offline japtats

• Restricted
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2020, 01:50:13 PM »

Given you disagree with everything everyone posts here, how does it help you understand anything?

I told you before, read what ML posted , actually i resonate more with his posts, than any other person. You at times post useful things, the only time i don't agree with someone, is probably Moby, as it contradicts his life experiences.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2020, 01:53:28 PM »
as it contradicts his life experiences

We all get it.  You. don't. like. moby.  But, you don't know his life experiences, beyond what he posts.  None of us do.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1863
Total: 1874

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM