It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: And the wait begins...  (Read 25021 times)

Offline calmissile

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: And the wait begins...
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 10:39:29 PM »
$895 - EasyFianceVisa.com

I have recommended this company to many in the past.  Their fees are reasonable and they process thousands of visas each year.  My concerns were that I wanted someone that has processed many visas and knew all the common mistakes, etc.

In addition, they can assign you an agent that speaks the language of your fiance.  That was very helpful for us as she was able to speak by phone and email to my fiance in Russian and clarify all the questions that came up.

It is true,  most people do not need a lawyer for an ordinary visa application.  For those that have never been through the process, it is still a daunting process and the amount of documentation is incredible.  Having an agency help with the evaluation, collection, and reviewing the docs against the requirements was worth the money to me.  This company later refined their process to post all of the documentation on their web site under your personal, secure account.  This allowed both you and the agent to discuss any issues about a document that you both can refer to without having to dig out paperwork.

It's a simple trade-off of whether the professional service is worth the cost vs. the delays that will be experienced if you make mistakes on the application or documentation.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Photo Guy

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 10:41:43 PM »
Probably does not include the application fee(s). K1 Visa application was $265 and I think the I-129f was an application fee of $340. Med exam in Kiev before interview was $215. These numbers tend to change, so check for updates...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:43:33 PM by Photo Guy »

Offline calmissile

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 10:45:14 PM »
If I remember correctly, the fee quoted is only for the agency services.  All government fees are the normal fees that you would pay if you do it yourself.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline KenInUtah

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2015, 11:12:13 AM »
Yes, the $895 was for the legal fees, not everything else.  I still had to pay USCIS $340 and the embassy fee (step we are at now) of $265 and the medical fee myself.  I usually do things on my own like taxes, civil court (never lost BTW) but this was one I didn't want to mess with.  We got our access to the website, filled in all questions and uploaded all docs and pics and they did the whole compilation of the packet.  My Caseworker speaks Russian so that helps my FSUW even though she speaks English.  Some legal things are just too difficult to explain in a second language.  I also used the attorney because I needed a waiver for a couple Misdemeanors and that went easy and with flying colors.  I would highly recommend them.  My caseworker has answered every phone call I have made except one and she returned that very quickly.  She has also been able to recommend some other things we needed so it was worth the money to me.

Offline Photo Guy

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2015, 12:31:31 PM »
I have mixed feelings about doing it all ourselves.
It was stressful at times, like not being able
To print the bank form at first for Raiffeisen.
And worrying about RFE's for tiny errors
on I-129f, that never came, like using
white-out to correct her mom's first name
on G325. But, I liked having the illusion
of control. My friends were a huge help, like
Turbo, Calmissile, our Translator helped do
Ds160, and a friendly visa-expert named Gary.
Who I met indirectly thru Visajourney.
And lots of sifting thru USCIS and Dept of
State web pages. I guess I liked being
Immersed in the process because of confidence
from going thru the process at the end of
2005. If you use a pro helper, just be sure
you can trust them.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 02:24:29 PM »
I have never really understood why people need a lawyer to fulfill immigration's documents?
That's a specific US or english behavior.
I don't know exactly the procedure in such countries but i think that you just have to follow the lines and find additional explanations on specialized sites like some have recommended here.
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2015, 05:35:58 PM »
I have never really understood why people need a lawyer to fulfill immigration's documents?

Some people probably make $500 an hour and doing their own documents will take them away from more important things they could be doing. Some people enjoy watching television and doing their own documents will take them away from more important things they could be doing. Getting married is one of the most important things in life next to the bachelor party so I understand some people are willing to pay a professional to get it done right.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 06:13:47 PM »
Exactly Billy, I wanted it done right.  I wasn't willing to risk RFE's and errors.  $895 is cheap compared to what the rest of my life is worth.  Penny-wise/Pound foolish debate

Offline ML

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 07:39:29 PM »
Except ANYONE who does something for you will make more mistakes than you will.

And, the process is delayed by the back and forth . . . you . . . lawyer . . . government . . . lawyer . . . you.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2015, 06:37:15 PM »
Well ML, as usual, your commentary is incorrect and totally useless and misinforming the others.  Maybe you should understand a process before passing judgement on it.  I have to approve EVERYTHING before it moves to to the next step.  So far my petition has not had one single error or holdup and as of today, our application has reached the embassy awaiting the interview.  Not bad...SEVEN weeks from mailing the original packet to being at the embassy.

Now...as for doing it yourself...a guy I've been talking to on VJ who sent his application the same day and was approved by USCIS the same day and sent to NVC the same day...IS STUCK at NVC until at least 8/14 per NVC.   Guess I'm a couple weeks ahead of him now.

As I said before, to each his own.  If you have the time and want to risk doing it yourself, go for it.  I chose the attorney way and do not regret it.  I've had many questions answered in minutes rather than searching for hours myself.

ML, I hope you never need surgery because your ideas of doing everything yourself are not wise and advice I wouldn't recommend to anyone. 

To all those venturing into this pool: If you know Immigration Law and Legal Documentation, go for it!  Otherwise, don't be such a cheap bastard and use a professional!  It's funny how everyone here preaches not to be "cheap" with your lady but when it comes to the most important step, $895 is too much!  I have to laugh at any advice otherwise -- It reeks of "Honey, I love you but you're not worth me using all the resources available to be with me.  I don't care if you wait a little more...I'm a cheap bastard who knows everything".  Her impression:  "Damn, this guy is a keeper! NOT!"

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2015, 06:55:08 PM »

To all those venturing into this pool: If you know Immigration Law and Legal Documentation, go for it!  Otherwise, don't be such a cheap bastard and use a professional!  It's funny how everyone here preaches not to be "cheap" with your lady but when it comes to the most important step, $895 is too much!  I have to laugh at any advice otherwise -- It reeks of "Honey, I love you but you're not worth me using all the resources available to be with me.  I don't care if you wait a little more...I'm a cheap bastard who knows everything".  Her impression:  "Damn, this guy is a keeper! NOT!"

LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS. It's all a matter of what one is comfortable with. You feel better about paying someone to do it for you, go for it. It certainly doesn't mean you love your woman more or the do it yourselfer loves theirs less. It's just an extra expense you chose to spend. The fact that you used a lawyer and your comparison buddy didn't doesn't mean doody. Your lady's can still get held up. USIS is a pain in the ass and work at their speed and each case is different. USIS didn't give your case any priority because you had a lawyer and having one doesn't make you special.

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 07:24:10 PM »
I never said I was given priority.  I said that mine was done correctly the first time because I had someone who does this for a living put my package together so I didn't have any mistakes.  I confirm the information, spellings...but they know what needs to be filed.

My whole point was to explain my reasoning for using an Attorney throughout this thread in an effort to help others make their decision.  For anyone to tell me that a professional will make more mistakes that I would is irresponsible.  If they made mistakes all the time, they wouldn't be practicing long.

Anyway: "To each their own" but to say that attorney's have no value in this process is poor advice to give to others

Offline BillyB

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 07:52:57 PM »

Ken, to be fair to the anti-attorney crowd, those guys have read the same stories I've read over the years. There have been posters complaining their attorney was lazy or had paperwork sitting weeks on their desk requesting more info from their client. I'm sure most of the time an attorney will do good work for their clients but not always and "who better to trust than yourself?" is what some people are saying.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 07:54:46 PM »
Yeah, I am a newbie to this whole thing and everything to do with business in general.

But anyway, lawyers (actually their helpers will do all the work) will make MANY more mistakes than a careful individual will make doing his/her own paperwork.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2015, 08:37:25 PM »
I never said I was given priority.  I said that mine was done correctly the first time because I had someone who does this for a living put my package together so I didn't have any mistakes.  I confirm the information, spellings...but they know what needs to be filed.

My whole point was to explain my reasoning for using an Attorney throughout this thread in an effort to help others make their decision.  For anyone to tell me that a professional will make more mistakes that I would is irresponsible.  If they made mistakes all the time, they wouldn't be practicing long.

Anyway: "To each their own" but to say that attorney's have no value in this process is poor advice to give to others

We've had immigration lawyers that have been members of this forum that also married FSUW. They crowed the same line you are now. In fact IIRC one left over a thread that was anti-lawyer in theme. As Billy mentioned we have heard endless stories of folks that met dead ends with lawyers and also some warm and fuzzies like yours. My point was there is no right or wrong. If you want a lawyer to do this particular heavy lifting then get one. If you can handle that heavy lifting yourself then do it yourself and spend that $895 on a wedding gift for the party or buy the new MIL a new coat. Makes no difference. Your choice is just that, your choice. You broadcast it with some ill perceived air of superiority, it isn't. Many including myself have filed the petition and did the same job a lawyer would have done. Not a big thing

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2015, 07:36:14 AM »
Agreed on all points (except attorneys will make more mistakes) guys.  There is no "right" way to do this, it is each individuals decision based on affordability, time and situation.  My point, in this "debate" is that it is bad advice to tell everyone to do it themselves.  Some people's cases are easier, some are more complicated because of kids, police records, divorces...Originally, I was letting the group know about a POSITIVE experience I have had with this particular attorney so others, if they were considering assistance, would investigate this firm for themselves.  The price of $895 is more affordable than some other services that charge thousands.  Sure, there are crappy attorneys out there, I don't dispute that.  I just wanted to relay one that I have found good and affordable (for me). 

As Calmissle put it, which I couldn't agree more...
It's a simple trade-off of whether the professional service is worth the cost vs. the delays that will be experienced if you make mistakes on the application or documentation.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2015, 08:40:52 AM »
I happen to have a few lawyers who I consider very close and personal friends. None of which practiced immigration law but were familiar with it. One of them offered to do the petition for free but suggested it would move quicker if I did it myself. As he put it and it made sense at the time "the devil is in the details". I went and downloaded all the info on visajourney and I was off. It didn't appear very daunting and it wasn't. Mostly just forms and check lists. If you can do your own taxes you shouldn't have a problem. I had the time and probably had 8-10 hours in it. Most just going over and over the checklists. If one has 8-15 hours and the capacity to grasp what the petition is, I recommend doing it yourself. If it presents any challenge at all pay someone else to do it.

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2015, 09:23:02 AM »
I tend to agree about DIY. I found that if you just follow the checklists closely, then it is quite easy to fill out all the forms. In the end, its all about the individual themselves and what they feel comfortable doing.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:47:51 PM by Hammer2722 »
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline Photo Guy

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2015, 09:56:58 AM »
DIY? Make sure you look deeply into every aspect. For example- for us, we had to discover what documents are needed for her ex to allow his kids to permanently move to the USA with my fiancee. Not easy to find on the internet....  but even a local immigration lawyer would probably have trouble with that.

Offline jone

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2015, 10:08:49 AM »
I tend to agree about DIY. I found that if you just follow the checklists closely, then it is quite easy to fill out all the forms. In the end, its all about the individual themselves and what they feel comfortable doing.

Dammmitalll Hammer, you change your avatar with some nice looking picture and it is too small to see.  Are you teasing us or what?
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2015, 12:48:40 PM »
Dammmitalll Hammer, you change your avatar with some nice looking picture and it is too small to see.  Are you teasing us or what?

Just for you Jone!
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline ML

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2015, 01:20:12 PM »
I spend quite a bit of time on Visa Journey, posting about our own progress, sharing experience with others, helping newbies get started, etc.

What struck me was the number of fairly young couples involved in this.  Here, we mostly have middle aged and up men going through the process, but on VJ there are tons of guys and gals in early to mid 20s doing it.

Most are not  involved with gals from FSU, but rather virtually the entire world.  And, most it seems met their partner when foreigner was in USA for university studying on student visa, tourist visa and work visa.

Those in the student and tourist visa status were extremely cash strapped.  They most all had to have co-sponsors who agreed to be responsible for meeting the minimum financial standards.

And there are many, mostly females, who are marrying those from south of the border who came in illegally.

In the vast majority of the cases, the partner who is filling out the paperwork and participates on VJ is the foreign born person (I am one of the exceptions).

So there we have hundreds and even thousands of foreign born persons at the lowest economic levels who are successfully working through the paperwork process without the aid of lawyers.

And was it here on this forum that a member claimed an IQ of 140?  I wonder if that person can do what a foreign born, low economic and educational status person can do?

Offline Photo Guy

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2015, 02:46:20 PM »
As for the idea that a paid professional would do the paperwork 'right'.
My fear was that a professional would make more mistakes than me... that the
process would be out of my control. And here at RWD, in '05, the general consensus was 'do it yourself'. I was influenced by that.

Offline HiTech

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2015, 08:03:53 PM »
My View: I've done it both ways.

My K1 Visa was done by a lawyer similar to the $899 special deal.
He made a mistake which cost us about 2 month processing time.

What he (in hind sight provided) was a guide/adviser. No work was eliminated, I still had to find and provide all the same information as if I did it my self. I still had to fill out forms he provide so he had the info.

All other(Adjustment of status/ parole / citizenship/ bringing Ayonas father over I did my self with the help of visa journey.
There was never one hitch or request for information in all the stuff I did my self.

With out visa journey as a guide, Life would be a major PITA.

But if you are even a little legal savy, doing it your self is the better way to go (assuming no wavers) with the help of something like Visa Journey.

If not legal counsel can guide you threw the process, and you  send them (legal counsel) all the info instead of the government.

HiTech

If you like aviation check out http://www.flyaceshigh.com

Offline Rick4G

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2015, 10:49:46 PM »
Im going to do this in the next couple months . I am currently considering doing it myself but may consider outside help if its reasonable cost.  Im actually watching a couple of cases here in RWD to see how they fare.
for me its not a big deal now as I am good with our life here in Ukraine but i want her to have US citizenship because of the benefits.
By September i will decide

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541283
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2190