It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: letter writing  (Read 2699 times)

Offline aloyshak

letter writing
« on: August 23, 2012, 01:45:16 PM »
A few questions for the ladies on letter writing styles:

1. Is it the norm in Russian culture to write long letters during courtship or dating?  Some of the Russian women (40-50%) I am corresponding with via email tend to write very long letters (1 to 3 pages) and fill me in on many details about their personal life and emotions.   Many times this has happened after the first email exchange.  Is it typical to reveal or say so much this early on? (Not that I mind but I am trying to get insight into the culture.)

2. I notice that a lot of metaphors are used in the letters to express emotions.  Is this a part of writing style or characteristic of the Russian language (my knowledge of Russian is rudimentary...I am at the beginner stage.)

3. How is it appropriate to end a letter to a Russian woman?  I usually say Poka or Bye.  Is it appropriate in Russian culture to end the letter as

Love,
Your name

I ask because I do not know if the nuances for the word love are the same in English as in Russian.

Thanks for your responses  :)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: letter writing
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 04:33:54 PM »
When you get these very long letters early in the correspondence . . . they are usually 'canned' letters.

Nothing wrong with canned letters early in the game . . . if they are really written by the gal in question, and if they actually help you learn something true about the gal, her thoughts, emotions, etc.

Just don't get too smitten thinking that she wrote all of this just for you.

Love is a word that should never be written or spoken this early in the relationship.  It should not be spoken or written until after a lengthy first set of meetings on a first trip, and probably not until after 2 or 3 more trips with a lot of time spent together.

I did have one gal say it to me on second day we were together, but it didn't send a red flag to me because I felt she really meant it and I didn't think she said this often.  We had had a lengthy pre-meeting correspondence and she really liked everything I had written.

We spent a lot of time together on 3 trips.  As time went on, our relationship became more stormy, primarily because she was an 'in your face' type of gal who never left anything unsaid.

We still correspond infrequently, and a few times she has said she still loves me very much.  I believe her.  She has had 3-4 other boyfriends in the interim.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Shadow

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 01:11:52 AM »
No, it is not customary to write long letters, especially if it contains a lot of information that you did not ask for and does only partially or not at all answer the questions you did ask.
Expect a letter asking for financial support from any woman who writes such letters, as there is a good chance they are not sincere.

A typical letter will try to answer on things you said and questions you ask. The lower amount you write, the shorter answersyou will get.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Olly

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 02:30:30 AM »
1. Is it the norm in Russian culture to write long letters during courtship or dating?  Some of the Russian women (40-50%) I am corresponding with via email tend to write very long letters (1 to 3 pages) and fill me in on many details about their personal life and emotions.   Many times this has happened after the first email exchange.  Is it typical to reveal or say so much this early on? (Not that I mind but I am trying to get insight into the culture.)

Long letters what you got it is just a template for all men. it saves time to women but it is a bad sign.

3. How is it appropriate to end a letter to a Russian woman?  I usually say Poka or Bye.  Is it appropriate in Russian culture to end the letter as

Love,
Your name

I ask because I do not know if the nuances for the word love are the same in English as in Russian.

Never use the word "LOVE" if you do not feel the "Real LOVE" to this woman. The word LOVE is very important and serious word for russian women
Your destiny will find you...

Offline Olly

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 02:36:37 AM »

Expect a letter asking for financial support from any woman who writes such letters, as there is a good chance they are not sincere.
A lot of women have not good english or don't speak english. They make a long letters with right english with translator help.
Your destiny will find you...

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540998
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1970
Total: 1980

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM