It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Anyone from Michigan?  (Read 35844 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Anyone from Michigan?
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 12:47:41 AM »
I thought N was Naught.

As in, Naught was their appearance at the Big 10 Championship game last year.

(Oh, no Bo!)
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Steamer

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 02:29:30 AM »
Just South of Port Huron in Saint Clair.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I never saw a winner that didn't bet

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 06:47:20 AM »
I drove across the Mackinac Bridge a couple of times, and even up to Sault Ste. Marie (both of them).  Interesting to watch the ships pass through the locks.

And just for historical purposes, I peed in Lake Superior, Lake Huron, and Lake Michigan on that trip; and Lake Erie and Lake Ontario on other trips.

How many others can claim to have peed in all 5 Great Lakes?
Not many, I suspect.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 09:22:07 AM »
Larry, Congress is going to include Michiganders in the new Amnesty law: you can pay back dues, buy new fan clothing, and become Cornhusker fans!

You don't need to be completely fluent in Aksarben (the name of the official Cornhusker language is "Nebraska" spelled backwards) as long as you can say "Go Big Red!" without a New Jersey accent.

Plus your children under the age of 21 will automatically become Nebraska citizens and kids over 21 can stay on your health care plan to age 26.

There is a test, but it's easy: question number 11 for example is "What does the N on University of Nebraska Cornhusker football helmets represent?

Answer: N is for Knowledge!

It's probably as cold in Winter there as it is here. I'm looking to trade up. If there's amnesty I'm going to look into once again becoming a resident of the beautiful Sunshine State.  It's paradise, plus I think it's an easier sell to a FSUW to move to a place with warm, balmy Winters.

We could schedule a January get-together for the many Floridian members and everyone farther North who wants to escape the frigid Winter weather.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 09:27:36 AM »
I thought N was Naught.

As in, Naught was their appearance at the Big 10 Championship game last year.

(Oh, no Bo!)

That is low, Jone, just low. I am chuckling however, but still low.  ;D
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Wayne

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 09:24:40 AM »
Well, the water in the great lakes, especially Lake Superior, does not warm up very fast. There are many beautiful beaches! But when you wade in, you could start to turn blue.

I think Higgens Lake is really good for swimming. The water is clear and it gets deep gradually as you go out for a long distance.

There are many other large inland lakes. So of the better ones are Torch, Lake Leelanau, Mullet, Burt, and so on.

The Upper Peninsula has many scenic sites, water falls, swift rivers, pictured rocks shoreline, etc. You can take a boat tour that actually goes through the locks along side of whatever ships happen to be going through.

The best way to see the pictured rocks is on the boat tour on a warm, sunny, calm day. When the waves are small, the boat can go into a cave carved out by the wave action and up close to the cliffs.

There are some impressive sand dunes going down to Lake Superior just west of Grand Marais, with an area where they had a log slide.

There were many copper and iron mines. There used to be tours, but they might be all closed now. You can take a chair lift up the hill to Copper Peak; then, go up the elevator about the height of a ten story building, then walk up the steps to the top. From there you can see a great distance. From the top, the ski landing area below looks like a postage stamp! Makes you wonder how anyone would be crazy enough to jump off that structure?

I know of an abandoned gold mine where the entrance is hidden behind a water fall. We found the entrance and went in with flash lights. There were a lot of bats inside!

There are a lot of ghost towns. Fayette is one that has been restored, down in the Garden Peninsula.

I still remember when I caught a 25 pound king salmon on my ultra light rod with 4 pound test line. A bystander caught it on video tape.

Offline jone

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 09:31:15 AM »
I've been to that ski jump, Wayne.  Except that they call it Ski Flying there. 

Also been to Powerderhorn, Indianhead, Whitecap, etc., where it was a six hour drive through snow to get there during the middle of winter, only to arrive with wind chills up to thirty below. 

And in case Mendy hasn't guessed, my alma matter is Wisconsin.  (Badgers 70, Cornhuskers 31)
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2013, 09:37:03 AM »
 :deadhorse:
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline jone

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 12:53:26 PM »
...There is a test, but it's easy: question number 11 for example is "What does the N on University of Nebraska Cornhusker football helmets represent?

Answer: N is for Knowledge!

LOL...

I also heard about the math-language test they held not too long ago.

The teacher asked Jerome to spell the word 'before', to which Jerome replied: 'B-E-F-O-R-E, before!

Then she asked Jerome to use the word in a sentence.

Confidently, Jerome replied, '2 plus 2 before!'

:P

I think to save money, the feds should just nuke Detroit altogether and start over.

(I know it's crass, but it's hump day today!)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:59:10 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2013, 04:05:33 PM »
Dang, love that commercial!

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 05:58:55 AM »
Dang, love that commercial!

What on earth is it about?  And what is "hump day"?  :ROFL:   ML's birthday?

Offline Muzh

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 07:46:02 AM »
Visualize the work week as bell-shaped where Monday is at one low end and Friday and the other low end. Wednesday is at the top as being a 'hump'.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline Wayne

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »
I grew up just a few blocks north of the Detroit city boundry. We used to walk to the state fair grounds. They used to have an indoor ice skating rink, plus a lot of activities. Things like Outdoor Rama were held there. I remember at the state fair when the Supremes appeared at the outdoor stage. The place was packed!

You have to go back to the 50's to find a Lions team that won anything! That's besides having Sims and Sanders as running backs and other good players--but never put together a team!

The pistons and red wings had their glory days.

Now, the bankrupt city is talking about closing the art institue and selling everything. Closing the zoo and selling off the animals. What a pity!

Some of the burned out areas are being farmed.

I was actually in the blind pig on 14th street just a few weeks before the riots started in Detroit. Next to it was the "violators" motorcycle gang.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 10:20:37 AM »
There's a small pocket of a Filipino community in the western outskirt of Detroit.

One day they held a Chinese traditional MahJong competition with almost the entire community showing up. During the competition, the emcee came up to the podium to make an urgent announcement. He knocked on the microphone twice and said,

"Good evening ladies and friends! We would like to make this urgent announcement that there's a car in the parking lot with its headlights on. It is a white 2004 Toyota Camry with a Michigan license plate number 2, 5, 'L' for elephant, 'Q' for cucumber, 6, 5, 4! Please come and turn your headlights off..."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:22:44 AM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2013, 01:40:30 PM »

The Upper Peninsula has many scenic sites, water falls, swift rivers, pictured rocks shoreline, etc. You can take a boat tour that actually goes through the locks along side of whatever ships happen to be going through.

The best way to see the pictured rocks is on the boat tour on a warm, sunny, calm day. When the waves are small, the boat can go into a cave carved out by the wave action and up close to the cliffs.

There are some impressive sand dunes going down to Lake Superior just west of Grand Marais, with an area where they had a log slide.

[size=78%] [/size][/font]

from a recent trip with my wife to yooperland.

The Two Hearted river from Hemingway's novel
[/size][size=78%][/size]
[/size]

Offline Jumper

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »

Offline Jumper

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2013, 01:46:11 PM »
ML-
 I've piloted jetskis in all of them..
One trip was  from Mackinaw isle to Chicago.
(that takes some preparation and planning)

I wont admit to peeing in any of them though, I suppose a thanks to you  for raising the water temps are in order.  :o

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:59:32 PM by Jumper »

Offline Wayne

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 09:42:55 AM »
Great pictures Jumper!  Hemingway spent a lot of time in Michigan and wrote some about it. I think he actually fished the Fox river--but said it was the Two Hearted in the book to protect his fishing spot.

I know where almost all of your photographs were taken.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1864
Total: 1875

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM