It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: 2019 - nCoV (novel coronavirus originating in Wuhan, China)  (Read 304570 times)

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Re: 2019 - nCoV (novel coronavirus originating in Wuhan, China)
« Reply #1900 on: October 29, 2020, 07:49:28 PM »
I feel I may not be long for this place, so I will start getting things off my chest.

So I read a FT post. 

For your family's sake, I hope you are not making your own decisions about investments.   The market opened down because of COVID, Euro lockdowns, and no stimulus bill.   Then what happened?
fully invested in the US...aside from property abroad. 

Yes, April, May and June suffered from the lockdowns.  Today's economic news show this economy wants to grow, but we need a stimulus bill.

Yes stimulus may be needed but at what cost?  How does that substitute for actually working harder?  We are supposed to be an 'exceptional' people. 

For decades China's unfair trade practices have been unchecked by the likes of Obama-Biden, Bush, Clinton and Wall Street and Corporate America.  You expected China to roll over?  China trade has huge momentum, and we will continue to buy Chinese products because they sell cheaper mousetraps.  There is much more to this threat than trade.  We must chip away and for sure not become beholden to them. 

So what do you believe we should do?   
Outwork them if we expect to be the 'exceptional' Problem is we can't outwork them, because many of the people here are too entitled, old, drugged up, or unwilling to work.    What we need is a younger and opportunity hungry population, but our people don't create children any longer so we need more immigration....but many in the GOP don't want more immigration because the people that immigrate are browner than in the past. 

This talk of "Life is a shit sandwich, and then you die"  is not me.  Never has been, even in downtimes.  Put a smile on your face and confront the challenges.....with a good plan. 
I'd say you are misjudging yourself, you are not putting a smile on any faces including your own,  and your version of confronting problems is by trying to force change on others rather than looking at the internal changes that could be made here in the US.  A good plan of trying to make everyone conform to what you think is 'fair' isn't going to fly nowadays, unless it actually is fair.  We in the US are no longer in position to dictate policy to the world. 

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Confederate

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #1901 on: October 29, 2020, 09:02:58 PM »
I feel I may not be long for this place, so I will start getting things off my chest.

So I read a FT post. 

For your family's sake, I hope you are not making your own decisions about investments.   The market opened down because of COVID, Euro lockdowns, and no stimulus bill.   Then what happened?

Yes, April, May and June suffered from the lockdowns.  Today's economic news show this economy wants to grow, but we need a stimulus bill.

Such happens when beset by a pandemic and economic lockdown, and your point is what?

For decades China's unfair trade practices have been unchecked by the likes of Obama-Biden, Bush, Clinton and Wall Street and Corporate America.  You expected China to roll over?  China trade has huge momentum, and we will continue to buy Chinese products because they sell cheaper mousetraps.  There is much more to this threat than trade.  We must chip away and for sure not become beholden to them. 

So what do you believe we should do?   

Lots on negative thoughts , FT.  Let's see how do you end your post.

Sad! 

Yes, the world got hit, and hit hard.   We are still vulnerable.    However, life is getting better, and will get better and better starting after this upcoming acute and final wave of the pandemic.   We need vaccines, and they are coming.   

This talk of "Life is a shit sandwich, and then you die"  is not me.  Never has been, even in downtimes.  Put a smile on your face and confront the challenges.....with a good plan.

Well said Gator!
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
George Orwell 1984

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #1902 on: October 29, 2020, 09:20:00 PM »
BC-

Is this true? What happened to the disciplined, unselfish talk, unlike Americans yabadabadoo jab?

We have riots and looting here too but those are by silly snowflakes and idiots trying to help Biden’s election out.

Economically, WSJ reported today we sustained 3.6% contraction where Italy is over 10%!!!! The rest of Europe are not as bad, but not that much better either.

Anyway, I hope things change for you guys over there.

Thanks, GQ.

Tourism represents 13% of GDP here, and of course, that sector has taken the worst hit during the crisis.  Yes, as mentioned before, kids are not happy with lockdowns and curfews. Fortunately, the damage is limited to dumpster fires, a few smashed store windows, and a maybe few bruises here and there if even that.  Small scale hooliganism.  Looting is quite rare even when things get bad.  When it comes to rioting, 'Bad' over here is when folks start burning and turning over cars and such.  Someone getting killed is very rare, although a dozen or so were killed in prison riots early this year when visitors were banned.

Unfortunately, it seems we're headed towards a more full, national lockdown until things get under control again.  May sound dramatic but 'better earlier than later', is one of the lessons learned earlier this year. Testing is being increased to 300,000 per day which will result in more infections reported, but that's good since the isolation of positive cases is enforced with rather severe fines for violations.  Compliance is good.

Offline BC

« Reply #1903 on: October 30, 2020, 09:13:28 AM »
Quick email conversation with a business acquaintance in KC.  Wished him a great, covid free weekend.

His response:  "Lol – I live in Missouri, we don’t really believe in Covid :)"

Offline Gator

« Reply #1904 on: October 30, 2020, 09:28:59 AM »
"Lol – I live in Missouri, we don’t really believe in Covid :)"

COVID-19 is not as frightening as BIDEN-20.   ;)

Offline Gator

« Reply #1905 on: October 30, 2020, 09:33:41 AM »

Yes stimulus may be needed but at what cost?   

Careful, this mentality will have you voting Republican. 

....but many in the GOP don't want more immigration because the people that immigrate are browner than in the past.

Not many, but a few supremacists.    And they don't participate in GOP strategic planning.   Not knowing any supremacists, I don't even know if they vote.  They seem to  prefer to spend their time on ideas such as "Let's kidnap the Governor." 

BTW, I see brown and black immigrants every day.  Hard working, serious people. 

I'd say you are misjudging yourself, you are not putting a smile on any faces including your own,

Typical FT as I recall from years ago.  This suggests you know me.  You don't. 

and your version of confronting problems is by trying to force change on others rather than looking at the internal changes that could be made here in the US.  A good plan of trying to make everyone conform to what you think is 'fair' isn't going to fly nowadays, unless it actually is fair.  We in the US are no longer in position to dictate policy to the world. 

Typical FT as I recall -  gibberish (incoherent, meandering).  Where was "angry?"

Offline BC

« Reply #1906 on: October 30, 2020, 09:44:28 AM »

:)

maybe it'll pleasantly surprise you, given a chance.

I'm yearning for a few days of 'normal' and hope next week passes quickly, decisively, and without incident.

Offline Confederate

« Reply #1907 on: October 30, 2020, 10:04:34 AM »

:shock: :ROFL: :ROFL:
George Orwell 1984

Offline fathertime

« Reply #1908 on: October 30, 2020, 08:06:23 PM »
Careful, this mentality will have you voting Republican. 
I don't think so, I already went though my 'republican phase' and the party no longer represents what I want to see representing the country.

Not many, but a few supremacists.    And they don't participate in GOP strategic planning.   Not knowing any supremacists, I don't even know if they vote.  They seem to  prefer to spend their time on ideas such as "Let's kidnap the Governor." 

BTW, I see brown and black immigrants every day.  Hard working, serious people. 
A lot more than a few supremacists would like to see less immigration from foreign lands where people are browner.  I hear it all the time, but then again I'm in the midst of work life and interacting with dozens of people daily.  Many make the mistake of thinking I'm one of the 'good old boys' because I look like I'm one.    You are really detached from reality, you just don't realize it. 

Typical FT as I recall from years ago.  This suggests you know me.  You don't. 

Typical FT as I recall -  gibberish (incoherent, meandering).  Where was "angry?"
This is where you 'give up' because you can no longer counter the argument with anything sensible.  Reality is you would like to force change onto countries like China without trying to encourage change here first.   It is becoming more difficult for the US to force other countries to do much since we don't have as much dominance in the world as we used to.  Trump is helping our influence decline further, which is one good reason to support him, since our dominance has been abused in recent decades. 

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #1909 on: October 31, 2020, 01:32:07 PM »

England goes into a second lockdown. PM Boris Johnson worried about the health system collapsing.

The only way to bring down case fatality rates is to make sure our health care systems don't collapse and to do so we need to slow the spread. If we let this virus run its natural course without slowing it down, case fatality rate will go up.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Gator

« Reply #1910 on: November 02, 2020, 06:40:57 AM »

ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS NOT COVID HOT SPOTS

The scientific journal Nature reported data from across the globe show  elementary schools are not hot spots for coronavirus infections, as previously feared by many governments.   This is based on  COVID-19 infections not surging when schools and day-care centres reopened after pandemic lockdowns eased. Some outbreaks do occur, yet resulted in only a small number of infections.   

But even in places where community infections were on the rise, outbreaks in schools were uncommon, particularly when precautions were taken to reduce transmission. More than 65,000 schools in Italy reopened in September, as case numbers were climbing in the community. But only 1,212 campuses had experienced outbreaks four weeks later. In 93% of cases, only one infection was reported, and only one high school had a cluster of more than 10 infected people.

http://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02973-3

It is generally accepted now that the lockdown of schools resulted in more adverse health responses than if they had remained open.  The children also suffered education and social losses.

Offline ML

« Reply #1911 on: November 02, 2020, 09:03:08 AM »
It is generally accepted now that the lockdown of schools resulted in more adverse health responses than if they had remained open.

Perhaps true with respect to students.
But what about with respect to teachers ?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Gator

« Reply #1912 on: November 02, 2020, 10:03:54 AM »
Perhaps true with respect to students.
But what about with respect to teachers ?

Should be okay for those teaching elementary school. 

Offline ML

« Reply #1913 on: November 02, 2020, 10:07:45 AM »
Should be okay for those teaching elementary school.

As I understand it, those students do catch Covid but have high survival rate.
But they do pass it on to others, such as teachers, who do not have such a survival rate.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #1914 on: November 02, 2020, 10:09:11 AM »
Just heard that one of my male nephews aged around 60 has died of Covid.

Offline Gator

« Reply #1915 on: November 03, 2020, 07:13:52 AM »
Just heard that one of my male nephews aged around 60 has died of Covid.

A leaked memo from White House scientist Dr. Brix says "We are entering the most concerning and most deadly phase of this pandemic ... leading to increasing mortality."   Indeed, hospitalizations are increasing, exceeding in 14 states 200 hospitalizations per day per million population (a guideline used in Europe as a threshold for increased mitigation measures). 

Vaccines are coming soon, yet in the interim this last wave is predicted to take a toll before mass immunization.  Individuals surely know what they need to do to protect themselves. 

Smokers know not to smoke tobacco, yet they do.   The difference is cancer and other diseases from smoking typically occur with decades of exposure.  In contrast,  infection with COVID can occur from one exposure in one brief unprotected moment.       

Offline ML

« Reply #1916 on: November 03, 2020, 08:50:07 AM »
Smokers know not to smoke tobacco, yet they do.   The difference is cancer and other diseases from smoking typically occur with decades of exposure.  In contrast,  infection with COVID can occur from one exposure in one brief unprotected moment.     

Yes, wife and I are increasingly worried about how we can avoid Covid.
Must make some shopping trips, even as much can be ordered for delivery.

Offline Gator

« Reply #1917 on: November 09, 2020, 07:24:03 AM »
GREAT DAY FOR SCIENCE/HUMANITY

Phase III FDA trials by Pfizer/BioNTech reported its vaccine is more than 90% effective in preventing Covid-19 among those without evidence of prior infection.  90% is much higher than the 60% threshold targeted by policy making scientists such as Dr. Fauci.  In fact, "more than 90%" is in the category of  smallpox and chickenpox vaccines.  Truly great news. 

This vaccine uses the RNA-based platform unlike some other vaccines such as the AstraZeneca candidate now in Phase III trials.  This RNA platform deals not only with COVID-19 and its mutated strains, the results demonstrate the likely ability to be modified to immunize against new viruses.   If true as it seems, this moves the world 100 years ahead in addressing public health threats from viruses. 

Rollout is not simple.  The vaccine requires two doses.  Distribution requires much care because the vaccine must be stored at -80oF.   Production requires highly sophisticated facilities and takes time.  While only 50 million doses are available in 2020, over a billion doses will be ready produced in 2021.   

Just as Trump promised, COVID-19 is going away.   However, we have a difficult six months in front of us. 

There is some bad news today.  Although Pfizer vaccine is 90+% effective for COVID-19, it does not afford immunity to BIDEN-20.   ;)

Offline Confederate

« Reply #1918 on: November 09, 2020, 07:28:28 AM »
GREAT DAY FOR SCIENCE/HUMANITY

Phase III FDA trials by Pfizer/BioNTech reported its vaccine is more than 90% effective in preventing Covid-19 among those without evidence of prior infection.  90% is much higher than the 60% threshold targeted by policy making scientists such as Dr. Fauci.  In fact, "more than 90%" is in the category of  smallpox and chickenpox vaccines.  Truly great news. 

This vaccine uses the RNA-based platform unlike some other vaccines such as the AstraZeneca candidate now in Phase III trials.  This RNA platform deals not only with COVID-19 and its mutated strains, the results demonstrate the likely ability to be modified to immunize against new viruses.   If true as it seems, this moves the world 100 years ahead in addressing public health threats from viruses. 

Rollout is not simple.  The vaccine requires two doses.  Distribution requires much care because the vaccine must be stored at -80oF.   Production requires highly sophisticated facilities and takes time.  While only 50 million doses are available in 2020, over a billion doses will be ready produced in 2021.   

Just as Trump promised, COVID-19 is going away.   However, we have a difficult six months in front of us. 

There is some bad news today.  Although Pfizer vaccine is 90+% effective for COVID-19, it does not afford immunity to BIDEN-20.   ;)

:clapping: :clapping:
George Orwell 1984

Offline msmob

« Reply #1919 on: November 09, 2020, 07:48:30 AM »
Can some celebrating tell us if the vaccine can cope with the new strain found in Denmark?

*I* think not and COVID-19 will not be eradicated with this vaccine (

It might mean a new normal. Less deaths, but 'Trampu's' promise is as accurate as mass fraud being perpetrated.

Read the numbers..

Only 1/7th of the population could receive the vaccination and its efficacy will wear off.

It is great news..but let's not get carried away

Offline Gator

« Reply #1920 on: November 09, 2020, 12:42:33 PM »
Can some celebrating tell us if the vaccine can cope with the new strain found in Denmark?

*I* think not.....

You would be thinking correctly if talking about vaccines using platforms such as AstraZeneca's and Russia's.   

Regarding the Pfizer platform, you are WRONG.  Educate yourself by reading about the RNA platform and how it can add slivers to cellular DNA enabling desirable responses from B cells and maybe T cells too.   

....and COVID-19 will not be eradicated with this vaccine (

Not if people such as you refuse to take it, thus continuing as weak links in the chain of public health.   

It might mean a new normal. Less deaths, but 'Trampu's' promise is as accurate as mass fraud being perpetrated.

The monster rally seen in the market proves you are WRONG!   It sounds as if you were underweighted in the market, fearing COVID is never going away. 

Read the numbers..

Totally dishonest.   What numbers? 

BTW, I saw some numbers saying Protestant Irish are dishonest.  If I am mistaken, you are welcome to correct me.  So far all you do is reinforce what I read.     

Only 1/7th of the population could receive the vaccination and its efficacy will wear off.

It is great news..but let's not get carried away

For those who can not be vaccinated soon, Pfizer will continue to produce doses.  Also, there are other vaccines in the pipeline.  Pfizer just happens to be the first (ignoring those such as Russia who skipped the Phase 3 trials). 

Putting such a bad spin on this news is in the category of Cuomo's intellectual dishonesty.  If you did not know, Cuomo today said the vaccine news is good, but there is  bad news - "it's about two months before Joe Biden takes over and that means this administration will be implementing a vaccine plan."   How's that from the man whose decisions collectively accounted for more COVID deaths than any other executive. 

Offline BC

« Reply #1921 on: November 09, 2020, 01:00:43 PM »
These early results are really great and when the vaccine is distributed will greatly reduce transmission.  The open questions at this point are how long the vaccine works and if those that do get infected despite being vaccinated have better survival rates.

Only time will tell.

Regarding new strains, we just don't know yet, but pharma can run computer model simulations to theoretically assess the impact of this newly reported strain in Norway.  In any case, I am confident they can 'tweak' the vaccine as well along the way if necessary. 

I do believe this newly reported strain has to be taken very seriously at this point.

Offline Gator

« Reply #1922 on: November 09, 2020, 01:53:49 PM »
The open questions at this point are how long the vaccine works and if those that do get infected despite being vaccinated have better survival rates.

Only time will tell.

There are already some indicative data.   Pfizer's Phase 3 trials dosed 43,538 volunteers including placebos.  So far, a total of 94 of the volunteers subsequently had confirmed Covid-19 infections.   The goal for completing efficacy analysis is to attain 164 infections.  BTW, the volunteers were not informed whether they had received the vaccine or a placebo.   

Safety and additional data continue to be collected, and will be compiled and analyzed for Pfizer's meeting with the FDA's vaccine advisory committee in December.   

Regarding new strains, we just don't know yet, but pharma can run computer model simulations to theoretically assess the impact of this newly reported strain in Norway.  In any case, I am confident they can 'tweak' the vaccine as well along the way if necessary. 

That is the objective of using the messenger RNA platform.    If the vaccine is ineffective against the new strain,  a  different  genetic material may be necessary, yet such is theoretically expected. 

I am surprised the cautious RWD members have not mentioned this fact:  "No mRNA product has ever been approved by regulators."  Source: http://www.statnews.com/2020/11/09/covid-19-vaccine-from-pfizer-and-biontech-is-strongly-effective-early-data-from-large-trial-indicate/

Yes, we are talking about previously unexplored worlds.  Let us see  what evidence Columbus brings from his voyage.

Just think, if this vaccine is an answer, the need for a stimulus bill will wane.   For example, it may preempt the need to rollout a greatly expanded testing program.  And as we return to something approaching normal, relief will not be as necessary. 

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #1923 on: November 09, 2020, 03:14:44 PM »
Phase III FDA trials by Pfizer/BioNTech reported its vaccine is more than 90% effective in preventing Covid-19 among those without evidence of prior infection. 

BioNTech is a German company that was founded by a couple of Turkish Muslims who grew up in Germany. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8930359/The-husband-wife-covid-vaccine-change-worl.html

This post was composed without the aid of google.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 03:41:49 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline BC

« Reply #1924 on: November 09, 2020, 03:33:41 PM »
Keep in mind Gator that we're only approaching theoretical halftime.  Many months still to go before a vaccine can begin to have some effect on transmission.

94 candidates got infected, and of those 90% were candidates that received the placebo.  This means 9 receiving the vaccine got infected if my math is correct?

Of course, such efficacy would definitely help to create 'herd' conditions that would pretty much halt transmission, *if* all are vaccinated, but much remains to be known about those 9, most importantly their age, what pre-existing conditions they may have, and of course if all survived or had only minor symptoms.  9 is a very small sample though.  Still much more to learn with time.

I guess it could be comparable to, or hopefully better than everyone wearing a mask while amongst others and washing hands regularly.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1966
Total: 1975

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM