It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 456667 times)

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
'Bad hair day' GQ?

Well, BC...if this madness doesn't stop soon I'm afraid I'll be back being that long-haired sexy 30 year heartthrob that loitered SoCal.

Make this over plz...I need a haircut.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Now you’re extracting NYC from the State to make your point, yet the shoe still doesn’t fit, BillyB. The ship Comfort was really never used. Nor did those 4 field hospital beds setup by ACoE were necessary. As for fitting patients for citywide accommodation, of course patients will be brought to either boroughs until filled to capacity.

Even Cuomo remarked they only reacted to the projected numbers given to them. Which now everyone knows is way overblown.

How soon you forget what happened in early April. You say everyone known it was way overblown but you're the only one saying that. For most of the time, the hospital ship was not allowed to accept infected people and before accepting a patient, there was a long process to prove the patient wasn't infected before being allowed on the ship. When they finally allowed infected people on the ship in a quarantined area, the infected person must be asymptomatic. How many asymptomatic people need a hospital? Maybe for another illness or injury they're having.

There are plenty of anti Trump news that talk about hospitals being overwhelmed but I'll use a media source that doesn't beat up on Trump. Doctors in NYC said body bags lined the hallway and they were overrun with patients, even non medicine doctors from other departments such as the psychiatric ward had to come help. Medical personnel were getting infected and taken out of action. There were semi trucks parked outside hospitals to haul bodies to the cemetery.

http://nypost.com/2020/04/05/doc-at-brooklyn-hospital-where-body-bags-line-hallway-patients-dying-every-moment/

GQ, you're trying real hard to downplay this virus. China, Europe, and NY got a taste of acting too late. You have plenty of examples to see what this virus can do to a community but you are claiming it didn't happen and nothing to worry about.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
Well, BC...if this madness doesn't stop soon I'm afraid I'll be back being that long-haired sexy 30 year heartthrob that loitered SoCal.

Make this over plz...I need a haircut.

Me too and I'm thinking about getting into some hard rock music and reefer joints again

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Me too and I'm thinking about getting into some hard rock music and reefer joints again

Again?  We never knew you quit!
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
 :devil:

Offline GQBlues

Dunno about elsewhere, but a friend I spoke with tells me that our state's marijuana shops are considered 'essential' businesses.

I can't grasp the lunacy in all of these...
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline GQBlues

This was not due to a shortage of beds in NYC.  Maybe a management issue.  Certainly not as efficient as BC describes for Italy.

Hospitals throughout America are having financial problems because of empty beds, many more empty beds than in 2019.    Nurses, etc. have been furloughed in large numbers.

Stoppages of elective surgeries in addition to this.

Online Faux Pas

Again?  We never knew you quit!

Yeah the hard rock music I gave up when I had kids  ;D

Online Faux Pas

Dunno about elsewhere, but a friend I spoke with tells me that our state's marijuana shops are considered 'essential' businesses.

I can't grasp the lunacy in all of these...

It's still illegal here. One state over it isn't with a medical card but you have to give up your 2nd amendment rights but, the essential  liquor stores are cranking out quite a business

Offline GQBlues

It's still illegal here. One state over it isn't with a medical card but you have to give up your 2nd amendment rights but, the essential liquor stores are cranking out quite a business

:devil: According to this

Alcohol-Related Deaths:

"An estimated 88,000 people (approximately 62,000 men and 26,000 women) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making alcohol the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States."

At this point and time, based on death count, alcohol is twice as deadly as COVID-19, no? Methinks maybe they should leave those 'hospital beds' available BillyB is alarming us about.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 10:24:52 AM by GQBlues »

Offline BC

GQ,

smoking, drinking, drugging, driving are all things for which I am aware of the risks and to a large extent can influence my chances of survival and quality of life.

This virus does not give me much choice or even awareness when bumping into someone on the street or just being in the vicinity of someone else that is unknowingly carrying the bug.  Could even be my wife, or one of my kids.  Worse than this bug killing me would be leaving behind a family member or friend or even you GQ that later discovers he or she was the unknown carrier that most likely infected me with a hug or kiss.

I would like someday to shake your hand but I'll be damned if I'm gonna kiss you :)

As you well know, even not catching this bug affects our quality of life and will continue to do so for some time to come.

Offline GQBlues

BC-

Had an urgent field meeting in Riverside (60-70 miles from LA) last Friday to put out some fire so we can meet schedule to complete.

Sometime mid-morning Monday, our safety personnel came to my office to report that one of our field crew was at home with a fever and flu-like symptoms. After a few seconds, thoughts of my wife came rushing in. If this guy tests positive, it was possible I was a 'carrier' and I had spent the weekend with my wife and likely infected her!!!!

So I sat there squabbling about what do I do? Should I make myself an exception and try to get tested to allay my fears? Get my wife tested? Curse the project? Damned our 'guy' for not knowing then he may be sick come Monday?!? Blame fathertime for being Chinese?

Then this silly thought came to mind, and I don't know why - but it still apply.

What if *I* was the one who infected my guy? What if my wife was the one who infected me, so then infected my guy? What if WE ARE ALL infected to begin with? What if everyone else was already infected and I was the only guy who wasn't? What if fathertime was Swedish?

Use whatever else possible combination in this lunacy you'd like. What we don't know is really what is killing everything right now?

Offline BillyB

"An estimated 88,000 people (approximately 62,000 men and 26,000 women) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making alcohol the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States."

At this point and time, based on death count, alcohol is twice as deadly as COVID-19, no? Methinks maybe they should leave those 'hospital beds' available BillyB is alarming us about.

More math fun exercises. GQ, I know you work for a construction company. You aren't part of their estimating team, are you? If you take square that is 1 x 1 x 1 in dimension, it equals one square foot. If you take square that is 3 x 3 x 3, it equals 27 square feet and is 27 times bigger than the first square. Things exponential grow when calculating volume. Lots of money can be lost if things are not calculated right. Lots of lives can be lost if COVID-19 isn't calculated right and is allowed to exponentially grow for a week or two too long.

If you compare a 20 yo adult and a 6 yo child who is taller? COVID-19 is still a child. How about we let it grow up a year and compare it to death by alcohol yearly totals? It's already been calculated America having 2000 deaths a day makes COVID-19 the number one killer of Americans on a daily basis easily. NY accounted for nearly half those deaths and still made COVID-19 the number one overall killer of all Americans. Imagine if the whole country was as bad off as NY by taking action late. Alcohol is free to do its thing. Imagine how bad COVID-19 would be if we allowed it to do its thing.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline GQBlues

More math fun exercises. GQ, I know you work for a construction company. You aren't part of their estimating team, are you? If you take square that is 1 x 1 x 1 in dimension, it equals one square foot.

No. It's one cubic foot.

If you take square that is 3 x 3 x 3, it equals 27 square feet

No. It's one cubic yard, or 27 cubic feet.

and is 27 times bigger than the first square. Things exponential grow when calculating volume. Lots of money can be lost if things are not calculated right. Lots of lives can be lost if COVID-19 isn't calculated right and is allowed to exponentially grow for a week or two too long.

BillyB, there must always be an established 'sound' baseline in any calculation. Again, based on what you laid out above, you were already wrong. Everything else after your baseline above, will already be erroneous.

Offline ML

More math fun exercises. GQ, I know you work for a construction company. You aren't part of their estimating team, are you? If you take square that is 1 x 1 x 1 in dimension, it equals one square foot. If you take square that is 3 x 3 x 3, it equals 27 square feet and is 27 times bigger than the first square.

Billy, a square cannot be 1 x 1 x 1.

Further 1 x 1 x 1 is not one square foot and 3 x 3 x 3 is not 27 square feet.

For a big laugh, ask your cement guy to deliver 27 square feet of concrete.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BC

Use whatever else possible combination in this lunacy you'd like. What we don't know is really what is killing everything right now?

Since much is unknown, it is killing us but that is secondary.

Knowledge is power.  Knowing who is infected, who has not been infected and who may have immunity is exactly what we need to 'adapt' to this virus and go about our lives and work as best we can without causing others harm.

14% of NY state could be safely working (with a good degree of confidence) without being affected or affecting others.  We may even be able to find out that this percentage of the population mainly consists of those in the workforce.  Wouldn't it be great if 20-25% of the NY workforce could be working today without restrictions at all?  Wouldn't it be great if those that are currently infected stay out of the way for a couple weeks until their antibody count is up to par to join the 25%.  Heck... that could be nearing 35-40% of the workforce...

But unfortunately, we're still in the dark to a great extent.

We can test the crap out this virus, but our leaders lack the will and focus to do so.

Offline BC

For a big laugh, ask your cement guy to deliver 27 square feet of concrete.

Almost fell out of my chair laughing with that one :)

Offline BillyB

Hey, I'm allowed to make a mistake once in my life. At least I'm not miscalculating COVID-19

Offline GQBlues

Hey, I'm allowed to make a mistake once in my life. At least I'm not miscalculating COVID-19

Wrong again. I counted 'two'. :devil:

Offline Gator

Stoppages of elective surgeries in addition to this.

Yes, I mentioned about a month ago the same experience from my two ER physician friends.  Only really sick and injured people were showing up.  The riffraff and mildly chronic  stayed home, thinking the ER would resemble the news clips from NYC.   

However, ER is not close to producing revenues from elective surgeries such as knee replacement, ML's gall bladder removal, discectomy, etc. 

Offline Gator

smoking, drinking, drugging, driving are all things for which I am aware of the risks

People in general perceive the health risks of voluntary exposures as lower than the actual risks. 

Smoking while sheltered at home is more of a threat to one's life than the possibility of leaving home and becoming infected with COVID-19. 

Offline BillyB

Gov Cuomo and most governors will probably agree, barber shops and salons aren't very essential and will be at the end when slowly phasing certain businesses to reopen. Hope you guys like the hippy look. Video is pretty good with Cuomo giving insight how he's tackling the virus and how the spread works.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
The government here seems to be moving more towards a position that face masks do help to protect you & others. However they have stopped short of saying to the public to wear face masks but rather to use a face covering, a scarf, bandana, tea towel, etc. Basically it is to avoid the general public buying up face masks that the government want for healthcare workers. I suspected at the outset that the government had an agenda as such in stating that there was no need to wear a face mask. Fortunately I foresaw this and stocked up :D

I personally think that like many governments the UK gov was too keen to shut down almost everything when in stead they could have first moved to social distancing measures first. I believe we are truely going to reap a whirlwind of economic sh*t from this. I hope that we won't but from all the economic downturn I fear it will be inevitable. Odds are many of those currently furloughed will find themselves laid of anyway in a few weeks when businesses restart but find revenue is too low to keep the staff on.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Gov Cuomo and most governors will probably agree, barber shops and salons aren't very essential and will be at the end when slowly phasing certain businesses to reopen. Hope you guys like the hippy look. Video is pretty good with Cuomo giving insight how he's tackling the virus and how the spread works.

I agree, barber shops are likely to be last as the human body proximity is closer. They will probably go by appointment only and even then have face coverings as mandatory.

Fortunately I had the foresight to buy a cordless clipper set when this was starting up. Decided to avoid the barbers as potentially already to dangerous. If I get the time I may get to it tomorrow and give myself a great new hairdo :)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Boethius

The government here seems to be moving more towards a position that face masks do help to protect you & others. However they have stopped short of saying to the public to wear face masks but rather to use a face covering, a scarf, bandana, tea towel, etc. Basically it is to avoid the general public buying up face masks that the government want for healthcare workers. I suspected at the outset that the government had an agenda as such in stating that there was no need to wear a face mask. Fortunately I foresaw this and stocked up

Face masks don't protect you from contracting the virus.  But if you carry the virus, it will protect others from you.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541454
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 1973
Most Online Ever: 12701