It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My new life in the Republic of Georgia  (Read 302192 times)

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: My new life in the Republic of Georgia
« Reply #1000 on: September 22, 2019, 07:55:06 AM »
I try to stay out of political discussions and choosing sides here on this board.

Unfortunately many news articles written aren't politically neutral. Imagine Fox News using the same data CBS used and said 40% more retirees are staying home in America. Then try to spin the story implying it's due to Trump's great economy. Also they can find a couple of retirees with stories like CBS did that will back up their narrative.

I posted the article that was linked by the DRUDGEREPORT to show why people choose a life abroad. Many of the points made in the article are points I have been making here.

Retirees living depending on SS will have to move to a cheaper location to live. Usually they move to small towns or in some cases, cheaper countries. Also they tend to move to warmer climates since colder climates can be painful on the joints.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #1001 on: September 22, 2019, 11:07:20 AM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/retirement-crisis-economic-refugees-why-more-americans-are-retiring-abroad/

Those and other such articles are totally stupid.

The articles and persons they quote talk about the cheaper cost of medical care in the places they retire to.

Nowhere does anyone want to discuss the quality of that medical care.

Strangely enough . . . most wealthy people and government leaders around the world seem to come to USA for their critical medical care.

Anyone hear of president of major country XYZ going to Ecuador or any of the other so called 'great places' to retire to get their critical medical care?

My wife won't even think of letting me go to Ukraine for ANY medical or dental care.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #1002 on: September 23, 2019, 02:04:43 AM »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1003 on: September 23, 2019, 02:09:09 AM »
The above photo I took a few weeks ago. This was on the back road to my apartment. Here in Batumi where the grass is green all year long all the cows are grass fed. Their meat and dairy products are full of the anti-inflammatory omega 3s.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1004 on: September 23, 2019, 02:58:24 AM »
Those and other such articles are totally stupid.

The articles and persons they quote talk about the cheaper cost of medical care in the places they retire to.

Nowhere does anyone want to discuss the quality of that medical care.

Strangely enough . . . most wealthy people and government leaders around the world seem to come to USA for their critical medical care.

Anyone hear of president of major country XYZ going to Ecuador or any of the other so called 'great places' to retire to get their critical medical care?

My wife won't even think of letting me go to Ukraine for ANY medical or dental care.

Speciality healthcare for the rich verses ordinary healthcare for the non-rich.

In Batumi and in Tbilisi there are hospitals and clinics that work in partnership with American hospitals and clinics. The healthcare is affordable unlike in America where you need insurance that costs hundreds of dollars a month and you fear using it because of the thousands of dollars in deductibles you got to pay. So you are less likely to go to the doctor and more likely to miss the treatment you need to catch it in time.

Do you know the three leading causes of death in America? First come heart disease, then cancer and the third is death by doctor.
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-05-03/medical-errors-are-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-the-us

MEDICAL ERRORS ARE THE third leading cause of death in the U.S., after heart disease and cancer, causing at least 250,000 deaths every year, according to an analysis out Tuesday indicating that patient safety efforts fall far short."People don't just die from heart attacks and bacteria, they die from system-wide failings and poorly coordinated care," says the study's lead author, Dr. Martin Makary, a professor of surgery and health policy at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. "It's medical care gone awry."

Living in America and going to the doctor is a big risk. The doctors will push drugs on you that will lead to your early death. Big Pharma is behind that. There is no profit in the cure. The treatment on the other hand is lucrative. Did any doctors tell me type 2 diabetes was reversible by diet? No, they just told me to take insulin and treat this "progressive disease." Everyday I wake up and check my blood glucose number. It is always below 100. I haven't been on insulin in over a year.

And there is the American diet. Food saturated with corn syrup. Meat devoid of omega 3s. Meat filled with injected hormones. Grains, fruits and vegetables covered in pesticides. The GMO foods that nobody knows exactly how they interact with your gut.

This is the big picture.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:00:50 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1005 on: September 23, 2019, 04:43:00 AM »

Then come to Georgia for your dental care.

Here is my dentist 'Gigi' (George). Gigi is trained to Western standards. He is the one the employees of the American and Swiss embassies go to.

He is better equipped and trained than my dentist back in Wisconsin. And one-tenth the cost. As I wrote before, I recently had 2 root canals done. My dentist in Wisconsin quoted me $1200 each, $2400. Mine done by Gigi, $232 for both. 

Offline fathertime

« Reply #1006 on: September 23, 2019, 05:02:51 AM »

Speciality healthcare for the rich verses ordinary healthcare for the non-rich.

Do you know the three leading causes of death in America? First come heart disease, then cancer and the third is death by doctor.

I've been happy with health care here in the states to this point. 

I could be wrong, but I'd suspect a relatively wealthy ex-pat would be able to get far better than average treatment in foreign lands because of his fat wallet.  One concern could be communication barriers if the ex pat doesn't speak the language.  Another concern is who is backing up the ex pat who may be alone.  Me and my family saved a family member by just being there and making sure our frail family member was taken care of when in the hospital, and that made all the difference.  Being mostly alone abroad could be concerning in that respect....

Fathertime!
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1007 on: September 23, 2019, 10:34:17 AM »
I've been happy with health care here in the states to this point. 

I could be wrong, but I'd suspect a relatively wealthy ex-pat would be able to get far better than average treatment in foreign lands because of his fat wallet.  One concern could be communication barriers if the ex pat doesn't speak the language.  Another concern is who is backing up the ex pat who may be alone.  Me and my family saved a family member by just being there and making sure our frail family member was taken care of when in the hospital, and that made all the difference.  Being mostly alone abroad could be concerning in that respect....

Fathertime!

You make some good points FT.

Being alone is said to be worse for a person's health than smoking cigarettes. So says some study (Maybe a fake study).

When I had a woman in my life for that brief time (about 10 days) I slept like a baby. No booze, nothing. I wouldn't be surprised my blood pressure was lower too. I remember at the apartment in Tbilisi stepping out of the bathroom (It is elevated about 6 inches) and my wet feet hit the wood floor and I landed hard on my back. Luckily I didn't injure myself. But what if I did? I could have laying there for days or weeks. 

Offline BillyB

« Reply #1008 on: September 23, 2019, 10:57:23 AM »
Being alone is said to be worse for a person's health than smoking cigarettes. So says some study (Maybe a fake study).

Did the study say that choosing the wrong partner can drive the other partner to drink and smoke more?
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #1009 on: September 23, 2019, 10:59:23 AM »

I could be wrong, but I'd suspect a relatively wealthy ex-pat would be able to get far better than average treatment in foreign lands because of his fat wallet.

This could help a person get perhaps the best treatment available . . . but in most instances (outside some major countries) this best treatment available would be far short of truly good treatment.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #1010 on: September 23, 2019, 11:26:28 AM »

Thank you GQ. I was in a bit of anxiety today at lunch thinking over some of the things you touched upon. I thought of them myself.

That's good, maxx.

Regardless which direction you decided to take from here on in, may it always be a decision you can easily own up to for better or for worst.

I was reading through some of the concerns and comparison about healthcare. I will always believe, for me, I am well taken care of where I currently am today. Not because it is better than anywhere else, but simply because I made it a priority for me (us) to be diligent in this aspect of our existence given the programs and demands of the society in which we live in.

In short, our healthcare, and its coverage, was very carefully planned for. So I didn't have to suffer having a tooth fall of and get it glued back on for 2 bucks.  :P (poking at you there, maxx).

Lastly, tortillas are better served 'hot'.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:28:59 AM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1011 on: September 23, 2019, 02:30:30 PM »

Lastly, tortillas are better served 'hot'.

Michael (The Apache native American) says hot tamales are the more difficult dish to make. Burritos, enchiladas, tortillas, quasadias and tacos are a piece of cake. We just placed our order for Mesa corn flour today. Should be here in two weeks. Did you know that Mexican food is the third most popular food in America right after American all menu food items and pizzerias? 54,000 restaurants! It even beats out hamburger joints in popularity. American restaurants such as McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's and Dunkin Donuts is considered fine eating by Georgia's young.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1012 on: September 23, 2019, 02:47:20 PM »

Michael (The Apache native American) says hot tamales are the more difficult dish to make. Burritos, enchiladas, tortillas, quasadias and tacos are a piece of cake. We just placed our order for Mesa corn flour today. Should be here in two weeks. Did you know that Mexican food is the third most popular food in America right after American all menu food items and pizzerias? 54,000 restaurants! It even beats out hamburger joints in popularity. American restaurants such as McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's and Dunkin Donuts is considered fine eating by Georgia's young.

10-4. Just be aware it is also the most-ladened lectin rich food in America. It's no coincidence why Mexicans are 'mostly' overweight, maxx.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1013 on: September 23, 2019, 03:29:45 PM »
10-4. Just be aware it is also the most-ladened lectin rich food in America. It's no coincidence why Mexicans are 'mostly' overweight, maxx.

I don't plan on eating much of it!

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1014 on: September 23, 2019, 03:47:27 PM »

I don't plan on eating much of it!

Good to know, maxx. Mexican food is loaded with vitamin 'T', or so I heard, 'Tacos, Tostadas, Tamales,etc..' The more lard it contains, the better the taste. Then slap cheese, sour crème, salt on top - holy gringo Pancho! We got a great thing going homeboy!

:P Seriously, there's a crisis going on in Mexico in terms of their obesity rate.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1015 on: September 23, 2019, 04:10:44 PM »

The more lard it contains, the better the taste.

Funny thing GQ, tomorrow my best friend Alex (Russian man married to a Georgian woman) and I are going to a grocery store he knows of and buying some lard. Lard Michael tells me, is the key to making good Tex-Mex food.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1016 on: September 23, 2019, 04:28:23 PM »

Funny thing GQ, tomorrow my best friend Alex (Russian man married to a Georgian woman) and I are going to a grocery store he knows of and buying some lard. Lard Michael tells me, is the key to making good Tex-Mex food.

That's funny, maxx. I hope Georgians can appreciate such fine culinary specialty. They should be so lucky!  :devil:

We have a franchised Mexican hole-in-the-wall pit stop in our region called 'Campos Famous Burritos'. Our favorites are 'All Pork (Chile Verde Pork) Burrito with Guacamole' and Menudo. Not too many Mexican gig can whip up better menudo that Campos, man. Killer!!!!

I still remember the story the first time wifey had Mexican food after arriving in LA. She didn't like it at all, saying that she preferred the Mexican food we ate in St Petersburg "La Bonita Cocina" (or something like that I don't remember)> She said their food was far more 'authentic'.  :o
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:40:27 PM by GQBlues »

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #1017 on: September 23, 2019, 05:50:16 PM »

I still remember the story the first time wifey had Mexican food after arriving in LA. She didn't like it at all, saying that she preferred the Mexican food we ate in St Petersburg "La Bonita Cocina" (or something like that I don't remember)> She said their food was far more 'authentic'.  :o

:ROFL:

I am sure it had more mayonnaise, just like the Big Mac.   

Offline Maxx2

Did you guys know I am a honorary Texas Ranger?
« Reply #1018 on: September 25, 2019, 02:13:47 AM »

Sworn in by a Texas Ranger Chaplin in an Exxon gas station in Bells, Texas in 2014.
Interestingly, for me at least, my partner Michael in this business is 100% Apache Indian.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1019 on: September 25, 2019, 02:43:08 AM »

Yesterday I bought the beef and pork fat to be processed into lard, 14 kilos! 9 Kilos of beef, 5 kilos of pork. We scheduled Friday for doing this. Last year I bought from a business in Tbilisi that sells professional restaurant equipment all the tools we need for cooking and processing. I also have 3 deep friers that might come in handy when making hard shell tacos and chips.

A nice by product of the pork fat (Upper shelf) is it can be processed easily into pork rinds. That is an excellent kenogenic food good for curbing appetite.

Also yesterday we ordered the Mesa corn flour to be shipped from the US. Shipping 25 pounds by air cost 3 times ($77) what the cost of the product ($28). By ship it is only $11 but it takes about 2 months to get here. We don't want to wait two months before test marketing our product.

One thing we might have a problem getting is a steady supply of Avocados. They are very seasonal here. Many people here don't even know what they are. My landlady in Tbilisi and her caretaker/translator (women in their 40s) had never seen one before. Avocados might be in stock at the Carrefour store. I have seen them there before. We'll have to experiment and see how well they keep in the freezer, either whole or made into guacamole. They have guacamole in a jar on the shelves here next to the chips, but it is the most vile stuff I've ever tasted! Doesn't even taste like avocados.

Posting this helps me think. I am not sure I would have even thought of testing the keep ability of avocados.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 02:48:52 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Gator

« Reply #1020 on: September 25, 2019, 07:14:40 AM »
Having a good guacamole will be key.   The best I know of outside Mexico is served at the gourmet Mexican restaurant chain Cantina Laredo.  They prepare it tableside with charred jalepeno.   My Russian family devoured it, scraping the bottom of the dish.

Here's a recipe. 

http://www.food.com/recipe/top-shelf-guacamole-cantina-laredos-487081

Could you not make arrangements with a restaurant distributor?   Surely they have suppliers who would ship a carton of avocados from Africa, where avocado trees are ubiquitous? 

Not having fresh avocados in your city, you could use something my RW wife enjoys.  It is not inexpensive, even though from Target.   

http://www.target.com/p/wholly-guacamole-174-all-natural-hand-scooped-hass-avocados-16oz/-/A-13488150?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Grocery%2BShopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Grocery&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9012120&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1247077&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoKzsBRC5ARIsAITcwXE41j1Bsx7cQJ49P-xSfwlAHFA0k4j5DzaivcGdMMhfdLVROC4ZnSQaAqRdEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1021 on: September 25, 2019, 09:02:27 AM »
Gosh Gator, thank you for the ideas! I'll run this past Michael (and I just did via Skype)

A few days ago I asked my winter apartment caretaker Ilona what her husband paid for his hotdog business rent. She a sked me what location? He has three hot dog business places in Batumi. He started them 2 years ago. As the man at AmCham told me, it is possible to have a successful food service business in Georgia.

I'm eating dinner now, 12 quail eggs that cost me $1 (3 GEL). Quail eggs are supposed to be good for the brain, so "M" told me so...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 09:18:50 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1022 on: September 25, 2019, 09:42:15 AM »
Freezing avocados doesn't work, maxx. You'd be better of mashing a ripe one and dehydrating it to powder, then just add water later - or better yet, get what Gator told you.

Do remember one very important thing behind any Mexican food. Its heart and soul. SALSA.

Offline BC

« Reply #1023 on: September 25, 2019, 12:03:27 PM »

Also yesterday we ordered the Mesa corn flour to be shipped from the US. Shipping 25 pounds by air cost 3 times ($77) what the cost of the product ($28). By ship it is only $11 but it takes about 2 months to get here. We don't want to wait two months before test marketing our product.

Curious as to the 11 buck shipping cost by sea.  Meest?

http://www.mex-al.de/shop/de/food/maismehl-masa-harina/naturelo-masa-harina-maismehl-weiss-tortillas-20kg-sack-gmo-free

Somebody is importing to Europe at what looks like decent prices.  Take a peek.

What are import and sales tax in Georgia?

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1024 on: September 25, 2019, 07:38:33 PM »

What are import and sales tax in Georgia?

Anything that costs over 300 Lari (approximately $100) there is an 18% import tax. No sales tax, No property tax in the Republic of Georgia. Most of my purchases we keep to under $100. Alex has multiple accounts and orders are segmented to keep from being taxed.

Shipping costs are $7 a kilo by air (10 days to two weeks) and $1 a kilo by ship (6 weeks to 2 months).

Thanks BC, I'll check your link. I just got up. 6:38 AM where I am at.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1994
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1983
Total: 1993

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM