It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: The Trip (Don't know what other title to use )  (Read 5885 times)

Offline sledder

The Trip (Don't know what other title to use )
« on: March 12, 2005, 03:42:00 PM »
It sounds like there are many expereinced men and perhaps women who have made a trip overseas.  In particular I am planning on going to Ukraine to meet a particular ukranian woman.  I'm just looking for helpful tips on what to expect.  Are there any things I shouldn't take or should take with me.  This may sound pessimistic but has anyone arrived at their destination, met the woman they intended on meeting only to discover things don't work.  What do you do from there?   I know I could always correspond with other women and meet them all but that somehow to me, doesn't seem to be the right thing to do.  Maybe I'm just looking at this from the wrong perspective.  Anyway any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.:D

Offline Goombah

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 03:59:14 PM »
If you can avoid it, take $1000 or less in cash and no more than 200 Euro's worth of gifts.  Then you can go through the Green Line at customs.  Customs will probably be your worst experience.  If she is not meeting you at the airport, have whomever is renting you your apartment pick you up. Rent a cell phone there is your don't have an unlocked GSM Tri-Band.  Set up an ATM card at your bank with an account that has your spending money in it and use that as needed.  If the ATM account number and PIN are hijacked via a fake ATM, your only out what you had in the account.  Credit cards work at fancy restraunts.

Have a back-up plan.  Almost all the agencies welcome walk-ins and can help you.  Brett and KievConnections, AFA, Roberto at kissesfromukraine.com, etc.  If you use someone like Brett for your apartment, you will have an excuse to go to the agency if things become iffy.

Good luck, you should be fine.

Kevin

Offline sledder

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 04:15:38 PM »
Kevin thank you for thr tips!!!  You sound like you have experience with both of the agencies.  I am going to Odessa, it sounds like these agencies are in Kiev.  If not which would you reccomend?  

Alan

Offline Goombah

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 04:21:51 PM »
Sorry Alan, only been to Kiev.  

Kevin

Offline sledder

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 04:26:10 PM »
No problem Kevin, I'll do some research on agencies in Kiev.  I've been using Anastasia perhaps that is a good place to start.  What kind of gifts did you take and who were they for besides the obvious?  ( Your future wife )  Should I take gifts for her parents?  

Alan .....the Newbie

Offline Goombah

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 04:55:37 PM »
If you plan on meeting the parents, you better!

Suggest you surf over to Elenasmodels and read some of her stuff on gift giving.

Anatasia does not have the best reputation, I'd suggest using  someone else.

Hop over to khersongirls.com and find his honestagency list.

Kevin

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 05:09:32 PM »
Quote from: sledder
It sounds like there are many expereinced men and perhaps women who have made a trip overseas.  In particular I am planning on going to Ukraine to meet a particular ukranian woman.  I'm just looking for helpful tips on what to expect.  Are there any things I shouldn't take or should take with me.  This may sound pessimistic but has anyone arrived at their destination, met the woman they intended on meeting only to discover things don't work.  What do you do from there?   I know I could always correspond with other women and meet them all but that somehow to me, doesn't seem to be the right thing to do.  Maybe I'm just looking at this from the wrong perspective.  Anyway any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.:D

You might want to give Jack a shout. He has an agency at www.firstdream.com and they have activity in Odesa. Also, Marc Dayton is a poster on the list, and he may be able to help you. Bruno is from Europe, and he also has a website and may have some good tips and ideas for you. Not far from Odesa is Crimea, and Eugene has proven to be very helpful for people wanting to go visit Crimea (www.aroundcrimea.com).

No shortage of experience here - though you might want to be prepared for a bit of flak over the WOVO (Write One Vist One) style. I personally think each guy has to make their own choices in this regard, but some on the board feel pretty strongly. Just remember they are trying to be helpful, even when expressing their opinions strongly.

Best of luck to you, and if you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

- Dan

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 06:04:44 PM »
I've got a tip for you...don't deal with Anastasia! Probably THE worst agency that you could have chosen to work with. Give Jack or Eugene a call (I have used them both).

You may catch a lot of flak for going WOVO but if that is your style go for it. Take Jack's phone number with you just in case things don't work out as planned.

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 10:30:09 PM »
Go to have fun like you would on any vacation and not to find a wife.  Enjoy the people you meet, places you go and most important just be yourself.  Go without expectations and maybe, just maybe something unexpected will happen.

At least this way you will not be disappointed and will have seen a bit of the country and its people instead of digging in a dark deep hole trying to find that elusive 'nugget'

Enjoy..

Offline Bruno

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 12:45:39 AM »

Offline sledder

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 03:06:56 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments and tips.  I will try the other agencies and see what else is available. Beyond meeting the one girl I have been writing too I do plan on making it a vacation and see what else happens.  What a helpful site and people as well!!!  

Thank you,

Alan

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 07:12:37 PM »
You may need a dual voltage converter and a water filter is great to have.

Don't drink or brush your teeth with water from the tap.

Bring something to hide your cash in and carry in your pockets only what you will spend for the day.

Medication for diarrhea (sorry to mention it) and jet lag are worth having with you.

Having a backup plan is a must.

Offline sledder

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 03:32:09 PM »
I've heard the guys point of view loud and clear "don't be stoopid"  yes, I spelled that with two o's for emphasis....  how about the girls???  I've seen posts from  a couple of them on this site.  GIRLS weigh in here and let your opinions be known.  I'm interested in your comments as well.

Son of Clyde.... is there something I need to know in terms of not carrying much cash with me except what I will need for the day?

Alan

Offline ConnerVT

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 03:48:54 PM »
Quote from: sledder
is there something I need to know in terms of not carrying much cash with me except what I will need for the day?
Regardless of how rich you think you are, there will be many people in Ukraine who will not believe that, as an American, you have a fortune.  And there will be a small percentage of them who are more than happy to take it from you.  So, don't carry much cash on you, don't wave large sums of money around (remembering for many, several hundred dollars is a good month's wages), don't get $hitfaced drunk, and be mindful where you are and who is around you.

Not to scare you, but act as you should when visiting any large unknown city, be it in the US or elsewhere.

Offline sledder

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 03:58:27 PM »
Conner I don't think I a mrich or would I ever in any way pretend to be rich.  I just thought that my cash in my pocket is much safer than my cash back in a room that someone else may (more than likely has a key to).  No dispursions cast with that comment.  My concern was if Son of Clyde was referring to some kind of violence I should be aware of.  Trust me I have no intention of getting blasted like a college freshman who has yet to learn his limits.

Thanks Conner !  

Offline sledder

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2005, 04:02:47 PM »
k I mis-interpreted you comment.  You were saying no matter how we view wealth.  In their eyes because we are American we are viewed as wealthy.  Therefore a possible target.....  

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541335
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701