It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My new life in the Republic of Georgia  (Read 302204 times)

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
My new life in the Republic of Georgia
« Reply #725 on: November 06, 2018, 08:14:57 PM »
Right now just after 7PM Pacific time, Republicans are highly favored to maintain majority in the Senate. Democrats are likely to take the House. If Republicans keep the Senate and Democrats take the House, it won't be considered a blue wave, but a ripple. Still a long way to go before the final tally.

Thank you Billy but really surprises me is that there is a 12 hour time difference! 7:14 AM here and the sun is rising behind the mountains.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #726 on: November 06, 2018, 10:59:52 PM »
A 15 minute drive from where I live in Batumi.

The mountains in the back are in Turkey. Around the first mountain is Sarpi, Georgia where the border is. Because of the currents and where the rivers feed in, the water of the Black Sea is the clearest there. I plan on ordering some snorkel diving gear and have some fun this coming summer.

11 weeks and 4 days on my Ketogenic diet. I am losing all sorts of weight and I have energy I haven't had since the 90s. It is amazing what a diet that consists of what we are supposed to eat, does for you!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:50:55 PM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #727 on: November 29, 2018, 10:55:52 PM »

11 weeks and 4 days on my Ketogenic diet. I am losing all sorts of weight and I have energy I haven't had since the 90s. It is amazing what a diet that consists of what we are supposed to eat, does for you!

14 weeks and 6 days on my Ketogenic diet.

Today marks 3 years since I first arrived to Georgia. I got to Georgia after visiting my cousins in New Jersey. I got to celibate Thanksgiving with them.

Thanksgiving 2015

I had made some Georgian contacts before I left. Kingcally is basically a ravioli with no marinara sauce. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 11:00:47 PM by Maxx2 »

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #728 on: November 29, 2018, 11:49:01 PM »
Dear Maxx

I love the photos and am sorry that the road trip didn't happen before the heavy snows in the Caucus Mountains set in ((

SC is flying from Russia to Cyprus as I write this and we WILL meet up, soon

Keep up the good work with the diet

Offline rwd123

« Reply #729 on: November 29, 2018, 11:51:26 PM »
Maxx - eating well is a life changer. Good to hear it doing wonders for you.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #730 on: November 30, 2018, 12:37:29 AM »

Some of these castles and monasteries here have got a lot of high tricky steps. There is a fortress here called Anuria (?). For an invader breaching the walls would be only a first step in defeating it. 

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:52:08 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #731 on: November 30, 2018, 12:37:57 AM »
Maxx - eating well is a life changer. Good to hear it doing wonders for you.

Thanks RWD!

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #732 on: November 30, 2018, 12:55:02 AM »
I erased part of my reply to Moby. I meant Moby to say that your delay is probably for the best. I need time to get into shape to tour these places!

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #733 on: November 30, 2018, 01:06:17 AM »

On the back road to Borjomi

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #734 on: December 04, 2018, 04:57:27 AM »

Since part of this thread is about health I thought I should pass on some info I recently heard from an American doctor.

The majority of Americans are predisposed towards Type II diabetes, at least half. 10% of the population has type II diabetes already. But it is said that another 40 to 80% are heading in that direction. You can wake up in the morning with good blood glucose readings yet not have optimum health in your insulin reaction to carbohydrates.

One sign you might look for that all is not right is the lack of hair growth on top of your feet and toes. Those little hairs that grow furthest from the heart. Your lack of good blood circulation is first noticed in your feet and legs.

Meet Christine, a close family friend of my nieces. She was like a sister to them. She was a type II diabetic. One day she was shaving her legs and cut herself. She was washed the cut with some soap and water and didn't think much more about it. It got infected and would not heal. The amputation of her right leg didn't happen soon enough. The gangrene spread and killed her.

Sorry about grossing you out. Christine had followed her doctor's orders and kept her blood glucose levels with in range by doing daily insulin injections. Yet insulin injections do not treat the underlying cause, insulin resistance of the cells. Insulin in fact promotes weight gain as a hormone that stores glucose into the fat cells. You cannot lose weight and get healthy by using extra doses of insulin to force the cells to take in the sugar (glucose). It becomes a vicious cycle. Only a low carb diet will work and then getting off of injected insulin.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #735 on: December 04, 2018, 06:40:35 AM »
That’s a bit disturbing maxx  :-X

Anyway how’s you health coming along man?
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #736 on: December 04, 2018, 07:48:10 AM »
That’s a bit disturbing maxx  :-X

Anyway how’s you health coming along man?

I had a party at my place a week ago Tuesday. I ate some of my cooking and fell off my ketosis. I wake up every morning now at 100-105. I was in the 70s and 80s. So I am working to get back to those numbers.

Frankly I haven't been feeling well. I have a cold and have been dragging myself around.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:55:33 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline rwd123

« Reply #737 on: December 04, 2018, 02:57:01 PM »
Funny you mention that. I don't understand diets with "cheat days", you only cheat yourself.

I've found that since going keto I normally only get hit with a cold when I travel (less rest and not my normal diet), and when I do get a cold it impacts me less. Exercise has probably helped too.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #738 on: December 04, 2018, 11:29:28 PM »
Funny you mention that. I don't understand diets with "cheat days", you only cheat yourself.

I've found that since going keto I normally only get hit with a cold when I travel (less rest and not my normal diet), and when I do get a cold it impacts me less. Exercise has probably helped too.

"Cheat days" on Keto is to go a little more on Keto friendly food than you normally do.

It is 10:24 AM as I write this. I woke at 10:00 with a 102, the same exact reading I had yesterday. To get back into the 70s, 80s or 90s (fat burning mode) I am water fasting until I burn up the glucose in my blood and glycogen stores in my liver. That way I get back into ketosis. I feel so much better with greater energy then. 

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #739 on: December 05, 2018, 04:51:54 AM »
Mr maxx-

Dunno what the Keto diet consists off or about but to me it’s the ‘going’ into some confined regimen or program, then maintaining it is at times worst than anything. That’s why all these ‘Diet programs’ are more trendy than anything.

You know what you need to do or eat with your condition, forget the idea of it being restrictive but rather it being productive.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 05:16:18 AM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #740 on: December 05, 2018, 08:08:22 AM »
Productive for me is keeping my blood sugars low. And that is what Keto does. It also helps in losing weight. With it I have more energy.

Eating a Keto diet is easy. And it is not difficult to do. A lot of tasty food to eat! What is not so easy is getting back into ketosis (fat burning) once you left it. The fastest way back in is fasting without calories for 24-36 hours. Another way is to eat a low carb (20 grams or less a day) for 2 days to a week.

I have to be restrictive on certain foods, sugar, grains, potatoes, rice, most fruits (high in fructose) and vegetable oils. I can eat fried chicken fried in animal lard. A hamburger patty with melted cheese on top. I can eat salmon with tartar sauce (mayonnaise/dill pickles) and spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, asparagus etc soaked in butter and with sour creme. This has no effect on my blood sugar levels. Avocados are super heathy also. So is mayo made from olive oil. Best oil, coconut oil with olive oil coming up second. There is even bread made with coconut flour and/or almond flour which I have in stock. Yesterday I had a Greek salad from the corner restaurant with lettuce, cheese, black and green olives. I eat pretty good! 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:01:04 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #741 on: December 05, 2018, 10:52:41 AM »
To borrow a phrase from the Wolfgang, applicable in more ways than one...

Eat to live, not live to eat

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #742 on: December 30, 2018, 11:23:57 AM »

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #743 on: December 30, 2018, 05:44:57 PM »
To borrow a phrase from the Wolfgang, applicable in more ways than one...Eat to live, not live to eat.
That is what a British fellow student said in 1961 when a Portuguese and myself were complaining about the horrid food dished to us in London then, to which we replied: "You don't know what you're missing. If you can make a joy out of a life necessity, so much the better!" ;D

10 years later, a totally different picture. The Brits had discovered holydaying in Spain at very convenient prices, and tasted decent food there. London became full of European restaurants :D.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline msmob

« Reply #744 on: December 30, 2018, 10:22:38 PM »
That is what a British fellow student said in 1961 when a Portuguese and myself were complaining about the horrid food dished to us in London then, to which we replied: "You don't know what you're missing. If you can make a joy out of a life necessity, so much the better!" ;D

10 years later, a totally different picture. The Brits had discovered holydaying in Spain at very convenient prices, and tasted decent food there. London became full of European restaurants :D.

Sandro,

In the late 70's I studied a new tertiary level course in Hotel management / Tourism - degrees in same were a novelty and my Dad had nudged my in that direction as I wasn't astrally numerate enough to get an A at advanced level in Maths / physics to be come a Doctor of medicine...     He saw that people had more disposable income and that leisure and travel would become more important - along with other service industries.

Many italians had settled in the UK and Italian restaurants were seen as the posh place to eat !

So, I think you have a point ;)

Trouble is this disposable income also gets spent on fast food and sweets, ( candies) too ((

Let's hope Georgian ( local ) cuisine doesn't lose it's popularity with the younger generation - in favour of Big Mac culture

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 10:24:14 PM by msmob »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #745 on: December 31, 2018, 01:42:07 AM »

Trouble is this disposable income also gets spent on fast food and sweets, ( candies) too ((

Let's hope Georgian ( local ) cuisine doesn't lose it's popularity with the younger generation - in favour of Big Mac culture

Young Georgians disposable income is little to nothing. In the resort city of Batumi the money to made from restaurant and fast food comes from tourists. And that season starts at May and goes through September/October.   

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #746 on: December 31, 2018, 05:42:29 AM »
One thing that struck me as peculiar in London then was the number of candy shops, as many as our coffee bars ::).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline msmob

« Reply #747 on: December 31, 2018, 05:55:06 AM »
One thing that struck me as peculiar in London then was the number of candy shops, as many as our coffee bars ::).

Sadly, true and I notice  Sweets ( candies) and 'chocolate' bars are often cheapest in the UK

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #748 on: January 15, 2019, 07:00:18 AM »
Maxx, always a pleasure to read and see your photos.

We haven't come to a complete decision yet, but we may buy an apartment in Batumi in the next 8 to 15 months. Lots of positive discussion about it.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #749 on: January 15, 2019, 09:02:16 AM »
I'll be real glad to meet you and the Misses! Maybe we can have a get together with my Georgian and Russian friends?

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1994
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1983
Total: 1993

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM