It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: The Bolshoi Theater  (Read 4287 times)

Offline xiphoid

• I'll keep trying till I get it right...
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
The Bolshoi Theater
« on: August 21, 2015, 05:46:32 AM »
I'm pleased to say that I am going to the Bolshoi for the first time on September 30. I missed it on previous visits. Knowing its' reputation I am wondering about expected dress standards there. I don't want to look out of place with my lady but I'd rather avoid packing a suit and tie if I can. Also can anyone suggest places to go besides Red Square? BTW I've been told that there is some increased anti-foreigner sentiment in Moscow...
Beautiful girls, won't you walk a little slower, when you walk past me? - Robert Goulet

Offline abashka

• Trips: No Selection
Re: The Bolshoi Theater
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 06:58:31 AM »
My advice is to ask your lady. As September 30 is not a weekend, you can wear more casual clothes like trousers+ jacket or sweater, "smart casual". But probably she wants you to wear a suit, better ask her if you worry about it. No jeans please, if you meet smb in jeans there in 90% of the times it is a foreigner:-)
I live in Moscow and do not notice increased anti-foreigner sentiment.

About what to see in Moscow- a lot of things  http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g298484-Activities-Moscow_Central_Russia.html#TtD
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:57:14 AM by abashka »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 02:35:09 PM »
Yes, plan on dressing up a bit. She will, and you do not wish to embarrass her by under-dressing.

Moscow backup One 802 height=440

(Bolshoi Theatre, centre, and the Tsum Shopping mall to the right. Photo: The Mendeleyev Journal)

One could spend days just at and near Red Square. Across the plaza is the famous and massive GYM ("ghoom") shopping centre. At the entrance is the Revolution plaza with the Russian State Historical museum. Also at the entrance is the Manezhnaya Plaza with the glass copulas and state of Saint George. At that location are the Alexander Gardens just outside the Kremlin walls, the monuments to Russia's hero cities from WWII and the Tomb of the Unknown soldiers.

Underneath that plaza is the large four-level underground shopping mall, the statues and fountains along the mainly underground Neglinnaya River with its fantastic sculptures and fountains, and across the street is the tall Russian Duma (parliament) complex.

8-24-11 Moscow 1099 height=495

(Neglinnaya River, just outside the Kremlin's Alexander Gardens. Photo: The Mendeleyev Journal)

At the entrance to Red Square are the Resurrection Gates, and to the immediate left is the rebuilt Kazan Cathedral. The side street that runs there leads to Chinatown, but more importantly--the closest Krispy Kreme donut store to Red Square! You will see that Red Square really isn't square at all (the correct term would be "beautiful plaza" from Russian to English), and at the end there is the magnificent Cathedral of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos on the Moat, or as we incorrectly call it, Saint Basil's Cathedral. You simply must tour this church--a once in a lifetime experience for most visitors.

Varvarka street Moscow 1483 ed height=401
(St Barbara Street. Photo: The Mendeleyev Journal)

Behind St. Basil's is an area that most visitors miss, and that is something that should be changed, since Ulitsa Varvarka (Saint Barbara street--the oldest existing street in Moscow) is filled with some of the most beautiful but forgotten churches, homes and museums. Moscow's first foreign embassy, the old British Embassy called the "English House" still stands there. So does the Romanov Boyar's museum (the family of Tsars), and several grand old churches. It is also behind St Basil's that leads to the bridge where Boris Nemtsov was murdered recently.

Vavarka Street Moscow 1430 ed height=373
("English House" the first Embassy in Moscow, was a gift to England from Ivan the Terrible. Photo: The Mendeleyev Journal.)

Other places one cannot fail to visit:

- The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, and the pedestrian bridge over the Moscow river. This is the national cathedral of Russia and definitely worth touring. It also offers great views to other parts of Moscow.

- Old Arbat street: a pedestrian street filled with over-priced souvenirs, street artists, the home of Alexander Pushkin, the first McDonalds in Russia, and loads of great Restaurants. Good location for banks and ATMs.

- New Arbat street: see this bustling area at night for the best experience.

- Victory Park: take the Metro as it is the second deepest Metro station in the world. Go in the afternoon as the views into Moscow from this hill are great, and stay way past dark as the scene of 1,418 fountains running blood red at night (one fountain for every day of the war) is emotionally moving.

- Each of the main railroad stations are almost museum quality in and of themselves, and you should especially see the Kievskaya Rail station and Metro station. The Metro is undergoing renovations inside so it isn't as stunning as usual, but it still quite dramatic. At the Kievskaya there is the multi-level and very upscale European Mall, which by the way has a Krispy Kreme donut kiosk, and a food court that offers some of the most popular food chains in Russia. The stores are high-end, mostly European and American brand outlets.

- Outside Kievskaya (this is the rail station featured in the Bourne Supremacy movie) is the Plaza of Europe. While there, walk across the pedestrian Bogdan Khmelnitsky bridge. Take your camera as you walk because this bridge offers stunning views of the Moscow river, riverboats on the river, and toward the city centre you will have amazing views of the Russian White House, where the government is officially housed. If you want, there is a pedestrian walkway along the riverbank on the side opposite the rail station. It is well kept, safe, and on one side is the river and to the other side of the walkway are important Embassy locations and diplomatic compounds.

Moscow backup One 387 height=440

(Moscow river from the walkway near the bridge. Photo: Then Mendeleyev Journal.)

- New Maiden's Monastery (Novodevichy Convent) is stunning. Dating to 1524, the walls are massive and impressive. You must buy a ticket to tour, and it is worth it. There are several ancient churches and chapels, the most famous being the Smolensky Cathedral (Cathedral of Our Lady of Smolensk). Outside is a huge park with a lake. You camera will be used non-stop here as the views are breathtaking. There was a fire last year and one of the towers is being rebuilt, but everything else is functional. The Novodevichy cemetery is one of the most famous in Russia as folk like Anton Chekhov, Nikita Khrushchev, and Boris Yeltsin are buried here.

Moscow backup One 1131 height=990

(Park just outside the Novodevichy Convent. Photo: The Mendeleyev Journal.)

- The best place to buy souvenirs is at the Izmailovo Kremlin. Located near Izmailovsky Park, this Kremlin (means "fort") is an exhibition of Russian culture and architecture. There is a massive hotel complex that was built here for the 1980 Olympics. Stay one night just for the experience of staying in a truly Russian hotel ($40-100 depending on which hotel), and they will do complete the visa registration for you.

Tsaritsyno Царицыно 8-24-11 Moscow 201 height=495

(Small part of the large Tsaritsino Park complex. Photo: The Mendeleyev Journal.)

- Tsaritsino Park is the restored summer home of Catherine the Great (built by Empress Irina). At that period it was located outside the city limits of Moscow, and was sort of a "rest stop" for Catherine to rest from her journeys before entering Moscow. The Soviets let it go to ruins as they had no interested in the Tsars, however it has been completely restored. Simply striking! You will need at least 4+ hours to see everything.

moscow 2 201 height=507

(Wooden Palace at Kolomenskoe. Photo: The Mendeleyev Journal.)

- Kolomenskoe Park is in southeastern Moscow, and overlooks the Moscow River. There are three beautiful areas here: first, the park itself with the collection of churches that are a part of Moscow's UNESCO World Heritage designation. Second, the elaborately restored wooden palace here was where Empress Elizabeth was born, and it was the boyhood home to Peter the Great. Take the tour! Third, below the palace area is a recreated Russian "village" with little shops and cafes. Definitely worth stopping for tea and something to each in an antique setting. The entire area surrounding the park is one of the nicest and attractive places for normal middle-class Russians to live.

- The Moscow Metro has over 200 stations and is the second largest in the world (behind Tokyo). Depending on the day, average ridership is between 9 and 11 million riders daily. Stations you simply must see are Komsomolskaya, Novoslobodskaya and Kievskaya on the ring line, Kropotkinskaya on the red line, Kievskaya, Arbatskaya and Ploschad' Revolyutsii (Plaza of the Revolution) on the dark blue line, and Smolenskaya on the light blue line.

8-24-11 Moscow 1496 height=880

(Metro station Plaza of the Revolution. Photo: The Mendeleyev Journal.)

Depending on the time of day, Metro trains arrive between every 90 seconds to 4:30 minutes. A bell tone signals the arrival of each train.

Here is an interactive map of the Metro. Click on a station, then click on your destination and the map will show the time for traveling from one station to the other.

http://engl.mosmetro.ru/flash/scheme01.html
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:42:22 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 02:43:20 PM »
Anti-American sentiment? Speaking as an American who lives in Russia--yes. Much more now than in previous years.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 03:56:52 PM »
A curiosity: was Moscow named after its river, or vice versa?
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 04:39:54 PM »
Good question! It was named after the river and historians say that visitors began to call it град москов (old Cyrillic) or "the town at the Moscow River." (Wikipedia)

It is, in my humble opinion, and to the consternation of delusional Leningraders, the most beautiful city in the world. Also the most interesting. Stay thirsty!  :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:55:27 PM by mendeleyev »

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 05:40:55 AM »
It is, in my humble opinion, and to the consternation of delusional Leningraders, the most beautiful city in the world. Also the most interesting. Stay thirsty!  :D

Sorry, mendy - from someone who is NOT a delusional Leningrader, I consider St Petersburg is DEFINITELY the most beautiful city in the world!  I have stated this several times, and no bribes of Red October chocolate will change that opinion.  ;D  Moscow may well be the most interesting, and it certainly has little stretches that are wonderful to look at, but overall I would not, and COULD not, rate it in my top five.  Of course everyone's idea of a beautiful city is different but, even in my limited experience of Russia, I could not rate it ahead of Kazan or Sochi.  Even Krasnodar would give Moscow a run for its money in the beauty stakes (IMHO, of course!).

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 05:50:02 AM »
The best place to buy souvenirs is at the Izmailovo Kremlin. Located near Izmailovsky Park, this Kremlin (means "fort") is an exhibition of Russian culture and architecture. There is a massive hotel complex that was built here for the 1980 Olympics. Stay one night just for the experience of staying in a truly Russian hotel ($40-100 depending on which hotel), and they will do complete the visa registration for you.

I have put one of my photos of the Izmailovsky Kremlin in the Gallery here (it's the right-most image on the top line of the Moscow photos).  I spent a night in the Vega Hotel, one of the four towers - nice and comfortable, with helpful staff.  The only jarring note was that, as had happened on my first night in Moscow on that trip (in another hotel), I had to pay for room service dinner on the spot - they would not charge it to the room.

Offline xiphoid

• I'll keep trying till I get it right...
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 06:47:04 AM »
Thank you mendeleyev
Beautiful girls, won't you walk a little slower, when you walk past me? - Robert Goulet

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 01:06:34 AM »
AK:
and no bribes of Red October chocolate will change that opinion.

My previous bribe offer to you was for Alenka brand, not Red October! Man, no wonder your eyesight is failing--you are eating the wrong chocolate!  :D   

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2004
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1992
Total: 2002

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM