It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: 2019 - nCoV (novel coronavirus originating in Wuhan, China)  (Read 310105 times)

Offline calmissile

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: 2019 - nCoV (novel coronavirus originating in Wuhan, China)
« Reply #325 on: March 20, 2020, 10:28:00 PM »
That will be a new low.  We should not expect less from such a miserable lot of people.   

To set this up, the media must first scare the people.  And they are trying!   Did you hear the reporter today ask Trump if he was "scared."  Trump jumped all over his ass.

I am beginning to think reporters are the most stupid idiots in our society.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #326 on: March 20, 2020, 11:56:31 PM »
..and *I* despair when I hear Russians, Chinese, Iranians and Americans (and wack job Brits) blaming each other ... with their 'conspiracy theories'..

Offline Gator

« Reply #327 on: March 21, 2020, 09:06:29 AM »
I am beginning to think reporters are the most stupid idiots in our society.

I did not report it correctly.  The NBC reporter asked Trump what he would say to people who are scared. 

Not as bad as asking Trump if he was scared, yet an unnecessary question because Trump was talking to all Americans of all levels of anxiety.  It was not a FDR "...fear itself" speech." Instead,  Trump and the task force reported  the significant  Federal actions undertaken to address the virus.  And they reiterated the guidelines.   

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #328 on: March 30, 2020, 06:41:18 AM »

Moving on, the latest bill that was passed should’ve included premium pay for all the medical personnel currently doing battle with this virus. Not only because of the constant hazard, long hours but also the fact they are also putting their own family in harms way every time they come home if they haven’t made personnel to separate themselves during this crisis.

We’ve tried to give our VA great leeway lately and methinks these folks are on the same battle fronts as our soldiers.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Gator

« Reply #329 on: March 30, 2020, 08:15:20 AM »
Moving on, the latest bill that was passed should’ve included premium pay for all the medical personnel currently doing battle with this virus. Not only because of the constant hazard, long hours but also the fact they are also putting their own family in harms way every time they come home if they haven’t made personnel to separate themselves during this crisis.

100% agree for metropolitan areas such as NYC and NOLA. 

When in Vietnam, the US Army  added to my base salary not a small amount termed "combat pay."  I never fired my weapon in a year, yet the threat was there, especially the few times I went into the bush (e. g., bridge recon, engineering resupply). 

We’ve tried to give our VA great leeway lately and methinks these folks are on the same battle fronts as our soldiers.

A good question I could ask my golfing friend Doc with the VA ER.  I haven't seen him in a month.   

Offline msmob

« Reply #330 on: March 30, 2020, 08:31:42 AM »
A good question I could ask my golfing friend Doc with the VA ER.  I haven't seen him in a month.   

I hope he's been wiser than you re self-isolating ...  Your wife was correct to be worried about you ...

Take care....   I need to have someone to fight over a bone with ....

Offline Gator

« Reply #331 on: March 30, 2020, 08:47:05 AM »

Take care....   I need to have someone to fight over a bone with ....

I welcome a scientific challenge.  Spirited political debate and the ramblings by autistic members are not helpful.   

Offline Gator

« Reply #332 on: March 30, 2020, 08:48:34 AM »
MORE GOOD NEWS IN THE HEALTH INDUSTRY

The US and world's healthcare industry (pharmaceuticals,  medical devices, insurance, etc.) are refocused around combating the CV-19 virus.  New developments are rolling out at a fast and furious pace. Here are three from the weekend and today:

Testing - FDA approved a new testing method developed by Abbott Labs that can produce "positive" results in 5 minutes and confirm "negative" results in 15 minutes.   The best part, the analytical device is small and can be deployed at point of use (e. g., hospitals, urgent care,....).  Also, The sample collection is also easier than the current method, and does not require changing PPE.  The stock ABT is up over 7% today. 

Therapeutic Drugs -    FDA yesterday gave two anti-malaria drugs emergency approval to treat COVID-19 .  This possibility was discussed at RWD earlier.    The approval allows 30 million doses of hydroxychloroquine sulfate and 1 million doses of chloroquine phosphate to be donated to the Strategic National Stockpile. The doses of hydroxychloroquine sulfate were donated by Sandoz, while the chloroquine phosphate was developed by Bayer Pharmaceuticals.

The products will be "distributed and prescribed by doctors to hospitalized teen and adult patients with COVID-19, as appropriate, when a clinical trial is not available or feasible," HHS said.

Vaccines - Johnson & Johnson said Monday human testing of its experimental vaccine for the coronavirus will begin by September and it could be available for emergency use authorization in early 2021.  Using new technology J&J is modifying an existing framework that has proven use as safe and beneficial for other viruses.   JNJ stock is also up 7% today. 

WE WILL DEFEAT THE COVID-19 SCOURGE!

THE SUN WILL COME OUT TOMORROW!

Offline msmob

« Reply #333 on: March 30, 2020, 08:51:07 AM »
I welcome a scientific challenge.  Spirited political debate and the ramblings by autistic members are not helpful.

Ah, yes ... 'Scientific' like your President's 'hunches' and drug recommendations ? ...

Offline Gator

« Reply #334 on: March 30, 2020, 09:06:26 AM »
Ah, yes ... 'Scientific' like your President's 'hunches' and drug recommendations ? ...

Please! 

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #335 on: March 30, 2020, 10:51:57 AM »
MORE GOOD NEWS IN THE HEALTH INDUSTRY
Therapeutic Drugs -    FDA yesterday gave two anti-malaria drugs emergency approval to treat COVID-19 .  This possibility was discussed at RWD earlier.    The approval allows 30 million doses of hydroxychloroquine sulfate and 1 million doses of chloroquine phosphate to be donated to the Strategic National Stockpile. The doses of hydroxychloroquine sulfate were donated by Sandoz, while the chloroquine phosphate was developed by Bayer Pharmaceuticals.

The products will be "distributed and prescribed by doctors to hospitalized teen and adult patients with COVID-19, as appropriate, when a clinical trial is not available or feasible," HHS said.

Anecdotal or otherwise, there’s enough reasons and results out there that gives this treatment ‘hope’. Although I was under the knowledge it was far more effective if used in conjunction with azithromycin.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #336 on: March 30, 2020, 11:12:27 AM »
If the current reported numbers are correct, presently NY has 66,500 cases (worldometer), of which, 9,517 are hospitalized. That's a 14% hospitalization rate. I believe I heard Cuomo's statement where he said 33% are in ventilators...making the number roughly at > 3,200 ventilators...

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:09:32 PM by GQBlues »

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #337 on: March 30, 2020, 11:47:07 AM »
Here is an interesting information if true...

I have been trying to find accurate reports for California, just like Florida have in their state's web-data regarding the coronavirus, but have difficulty getting one. Not for the state and not for our city/county. You would think with silicon valley established in our state that our information delivery will be over and above...nyet.

So I guess in reading this article, it actually gives a viable reason as to why not.

California, which has more than 4,600 cases, is a microcosm for how inconsistent the distribution of information has been during the pandemic. Los Angeles County provides a rough age distribution of patients and breaks down the cases into more than 140 cities and communities. On Friday, for example, the county reported 21 cases in Beverly Hills, 28 in the city of Santa Monica and 49 in the neighborhood of Melrose.

Across the United States there is even less consistency. New York is listing cases by age bracket, gender and borough despite calls for more localized reporting. Connecticut lists data by town. Florida provides its residents with a wealth of data on the pandemic. The state’s Department of Health has a detailed dashboard and reports showing the spread of the virus — rich with data on the cities affected, the number of people tested, the age brackets of patients, whether they are Florida residents, and the number of cases in nursing homes.

Health departments in the Bay Area make the case that releasing more granular data could heighten discrimination against certain communities where there might be clusters. The first cases in the Bay Area were among ethnic Chinese residents returning from trips to China.

“Pandemics increase paranoia and stigma,” said Dr. Rohan Radhakrishna, the deputy health officer of Contra Costa County, across the Bay from San Francisco, which provides only the total number of cases in the county on its website. “We must be extra cautious in protecting individuals and the community.”

In Santa Clara, health officials say they cannot disclose how many cases are found in each city because of the nation’s strict medical privacy law, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPAA, signed by President Bill Clinton in 1996....

Offline BC

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:14:07 PM by BC »

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #339 on: March 30, 2020, 12:59:35 PM »
GQ,

This one help? 

http://www.politico.com/interactives/2020/coronavirus-testing-by-state-chart-of-new-cases/

Can also use http://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html and drill down using the Admin2 tab.

It actually uses the same source, or maybe this source is the one LA is getting them from..

http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/phcommon/public/media/mediapubhpdetail.cfm?prid=2287

The info above it not really up-to-date. If you check Florida's state health department site, it's by far and away much more informative and much more 'current' than the one we have in California/LA.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:01:12 PM by GQBlues »

Offline BC

« Reply #340 on: March 30, 2020, 01:22:15 PM »
GQ,

Yes, the Florida site is pretty nice.  http://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/74c7375b03894e68920c2d0131eef1e6

Quite likely in the future there will be a standardized format for all allowing for easier comparison.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #341 on: March 30, 2020, 01:27:15 PM »
I like the fact they give you hospitalization count. Instead of just stating x-amount of positive infection. Knowing this bit of information is actually helpful. At least for me to help gauge the severity of these cases.

It must be Florida is so full of retired folks that have nothing to do but create websites (lol).

-----------------------------------

I was reading some reports the other day as to what 'medical condition' is proving to be the most vulnerable to this virus. It seems that diabetes is at the top of the list, followed by high blood / coronary conditions. Little wonder why countries like Norway is experiencing very low death rate, relatively, since they have a very low number of diabetics. I'm not sure if this is part of the problem in Italy/Spain.

FTR- worldwide, Pacific Islander / Asian, have by far the largest number of people with diabetes.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:33:10 PM by GQBlues »

Offline BC

« Reply #342 on: March 30, 2020, 01:38:58 PM »
Doesn't really look like diabetes played much of a role here, but of course those with advanced diabetes mostly on their last leg could well be more succeptible.

http://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indicators/SH.STA.DIAB.ZS/rankings

Heard also that maybe blood type may be a factor, that folks with O may not get hit as hard.  Not counting on it though.

http://heavy.com/news/2020/03/coronavirus-blood-type-type-a-type-o/

So much to still learn.

Offline Gator

« Reply #343 on: March 30, 2020, 02:14:09 PM »
Can also use http://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html and drill down using the Admin2 tab.

Same map, click on Admin 0, click on US, go to the John Hopkins map in the central panel and zoom in.  This will can take you to data for "districts" within each state.

In Florida districts are counties and include all cities incorporated within each county.  I don't know how California is organized as I see more dots than counties.  New York is not apparent either - NYC is one dot when it is composed of five boroughs, which were counties at one time. 

I use this to follow my cousin (a research microbiologist)  in Los Alamos, NM and see her county has zero cases.   

Offline BillyB

« Reply #344 on: March 30, 2020, 02:17:59 PM »

Trump and Co briefing happening right now. Over a million tests completed which is more than any nation has done. Over 100,000 tests happening each day now which is more daily testing than any other nation is doing.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Gator

« Reply #345 on: March 30, 2020, 02:28:17 PM »

Yes, the Florida site is pretty nice.  http://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/74c7375b03894e68920c2d0131eef1e6

Strange!  The layout of your Florida dashboard differs from mine even though both are FL Dept of Health.  Data are the same.  Both use the same "site icon" as the John Hopkins map.   

I wonder given the massive effort underway at all level of government that we may have overlap.  Anyway, a mystery that will remain unsolved.

http://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/8d0de33f260d444c852a615dc7837c86

Offline BillyB

« Reply #346 on: March 30, 2020, 02:30:34 PM »

Trump said as manufacturing of ventilators outpace our needs, we will send ventilators to Italy, France, Spain and other countries. Trump also said he will send other supplies to Italy.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #347 on: March 30, 2020, 02:32:17 PM »
Trump and Co briefing happening right now. Over a million tests completed which is more than any nation has done. Over 100,000 tests happening each day now which is more daily testing than any other nation is doing.

NO WAY!!!

Trump is terrible and wants everyone to die!!
Especially the poor and minorities!!
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline BillyB

« Reply #348 on: March 30, 2020, 02:47:17 PM »

Just watched a lot of business leaders speak. America's powerhouse industry is firing on all cylinders in the war against the virus. The fact Trump is already talking about shipping supplies to other nations tell me shortages of supplies at home will not be a problem anymore.

Offline BC

« Reply #349 on: March 30, 2020, 03:16:51 PM »
Trump said as manufacturing of ventilators outpace our needs, we will send ventilators to Italy, France, Spain and other countries. Trump also said he will send other supplies to Italy.

I am sure useful supplies will be appreciated but hope a drop in demand over the next 10 days or so won't necessitate more ventilators.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541328
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701