It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Mail Order Bride Survey  (Read 39260 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Mail Order Bride Survey
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 05:23:51 AM »
Hey Everyone!

Quick Update on the Survey for Cross-Cultural Marriage and Divorce.

We now have nearly 700 respondents to the survey. The proportion of men to women is still running at about 10% women and 90% men.

If anyone would like to receive notification of the survey results when they are completed, please subscribe here -- http://goodwife.com/phplist/?p=subscribe&id=1. Of course, I will keep everyone posted about the survey status here at RWD, and at PL.

If you have not completed the survey, please do so now - and importantly (I will sound like a 'broken record') - please spread the word!

- Dan

Offline viking

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 05:49:45 AM »
Although I am no longer a member of Elena's models, my profile still remains. Today I received an email from them asking me to participate in this survey. Since I am not married, I cannot. It appears they are working with RWD to gather as many participants as possible.
Tom Hanks in Castaway: You never know what the tide may bring in.
Viking: But you still need to walk along the beach to find it.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 06:01:23 AM »
Although I am no longer a member of Elena's models, my profile still remains. Today I received an email from them asking me to participate in this survey. Since I am not married, I cannot. It appears they are working with RWD to gather as many participants as possible.

Elena has been incredibly supportive. Judging from the responses I have received from her mailing, she and her agency are VERY well-respected.

I have asked AFA to also participate, but no positive response as yet.

I have also asked other agencies to work with me, and am continuing to push them.

All of YOU who have 'connection' with these agencies can help. Contact them and ask them to participate by notifying their past and current customers.

- Dan

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 07:25:48 AM »
One more quick update as we crossed a milestone!

We now have more than 1,000 registered respondents! Since the survey allows a respondent to partially complete the survey and then later return to complete it, there is some difference between the number of completed responses (now more than 800) and the number of people who have registered.

It is worth noting that we have also receiving some faxed surveys. Those seem to be coming in from respondent's who have a slightly unusual circumstance - such as more than one cross-cultural marriage to report.

As I wrote earlier - please spread the word. Let all your friends in the AM/RW communities know about this important survey.

- Dan
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 07:27:26 AM by Admin »

Offline Ronnie

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2008, 07:17:18 PM »
Dan,
Your statistical sample seems plenty large enough now that anymore replies should not alter the results.  When will you compile and let us see the results?
Ronnie
Fourth year now living in Ukraine.  Speak Russian, Will Answer Questions.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2008, 08:23:55 PM »
Dan,
Your statistical sample seems plenty large enough now that anymore replies should not alter the results.  When will you compile and let us see the results?

Ronnie,

The folks who know much more about this stuff than I do, tell me that we cannot divulge the stats until we have a statistically valid population. Our target remains to gather 6500 responses, and we are now approaching 2000. Still have some ways to go.

I anticipate the survey being another month or two in the data collection stage.

I am working to get the templates produced now, so that when the data gathering is completed, it will be quick to compile and present results.

Sorry for the suspense, but the pace of data gathering has been actually a bit quicker than originally anticipated - largely due to the support of Elena Petrova (Elena's Models). If you missed the Press Release, here is a link to it -- http://www.prweb.com/releases/russian/brides/prweb1195854.htm.

- Dan

Offline Ronnie

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2008, 09:14:24 PM »
Well okay, if that's what they say.  You are right now at a margin of error of less than 3%.  Maybe there are other reasons they want such a large sample size.
Ronnie

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 08:04:12 PM »
I have been sent an email, it looks like it might have been from Dan to participate
in this survey. But since I'm not married or haven't been married to an RW I don't
see how I could help by taking the survey.

Just my two kopecks,

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 08:11:31 PM »
I have been sent an email, it looks like it might have been from Dan to participate
in this survey. But since I'm not married or haven't been married to an RW I don't
see how I could help by taking the survey.

Just my two kopecks,

Bill

Bill,

Yes, I sent a blast to all our members encouraging them to participate - either by taking the survey (if they meet the target demographic), or by encouraging others to participate.

We are making good progress toward meeting our goal of a large number of respondents. We have begun the process to select an independent expert to review the process from start to finish and assemble the results and report.

The main thing right now, is to gather enough data so that the results are solid, hence, my email and appeal to everyone to help out.

Spread the word.

- Dan

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 11:48:36 PM »
Ok, I'll spread the word

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Doll

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 04:18:01 AM »
I am surprised that professional researchers from universities as well as immigration attorneys could not come up with any better title for this survey than the humiliating Mail Order Bride.   :thumbsdown:

Why could not they name this survey as Cross-Cultural Marriages Survey?
The first thing I've got stuck is this Title- Mail order bride.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 05:01:43 AM »
The first thing I've got stuck is this Title- Mail order bride.

Doll,

The formal title of the survey is: "Survey of Cross-Cultural Marriage and Divorce"

As stated upthread, the use of the phrase 'Mail Order Bride' is to attract attention. For years I lobbied with the former owner of the Planet-Love site to change the name of the site and get rid of the use of the 'Mail Order Bride' phrase. Now, I understand why it is/was used. It is an undeniable fact that many people find us by searching on that specific phrase. Between the media and the politicos who seek either sensationalism or 'spin' - the MOB phrase is recognized, and used, by the vast majority of the population.

THAT is the reason you will see reference to this as the 'Mail Order Bride Survey'.

- Dan

Offline Ronnie

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 11:20:30 AM »
My daughter, as young adult, said to me when I began my wife search in the FSU that she heard that Russian women could be purchased from a catalog at prices starting at $1,000.

I would like to see this site and others, go on a campaign to stamp out the use of the demeaning terminology. Writing letters to editors, etc.

While it may attract attention, it also perpetuates myths and negative stereotypes which affect our families.
Ronnie

Offline kievstar

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2008, 12:14:44 PM »
I will have to say I have run across very few AW who have issues with RW.  I wonder if different areas of the USA is different.  The AW I find who have issues tend to have issues with good looking or successful AW as well - so its more of a hate all women thing.  But my dealings with AW are more in the midwest.  Fact most AW I meet think its very romantic what we do travelling across the globe.

That being said overweight guys who are not rich marrying a much younger model like girl is going to get gossip no matter what country this woman comes from.  I do think a lot of guys go overseas to get a much better wife than they can get at home and take advantage of economics situation in Russia / Ukraine.  You notice there are more and more women this year in the agencies.  Reason is Russia / Ukraine economy really is bad with inflation. 

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 12:25:44 PM »
My daughter, as young adult, said to me when I began my wife search in the FSU that she heard that Russian women could be purchased from a catalog at prices starting at $1,000.

I would like to see this site and others, go on a campaign to stamp out the use of the demeaning terminology. Writing letters to editors, etc.

While it may attract attention, it also perpetuates myths and negative stereotypes which affect our families.

Ronnie,

You probably already visited one of our other sites - www.GoodWife.com. It contains numerous references to "Mail Order Bride/s", and is arguably, the number one site on the internet for that search phrase (as well as numerous others). The site has a Home Page created largely by a member of our management team, and contains elements of jest, parody, sarcasm, and more than a small amount of truth. The Home Page here at RWD was patterned after some of the GoodWife page - and it was so popular at least one other site has 'borrowed' the text nearly intact (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - OR - a clear and distinct indication of an addled mind incapable of original thought, as in this case).

We could do as you suggest - and the result would be that in a VERY short time, we would lose the position in the search engines, and there would be only a fraction of the people finding us that do now.

It comes down to simple practicalities. We draw the line at promoting our site as having content like: "Hot Russian mail order brides" or "Free Russian woman" (as that copycat site does) - but the simple use of the MOB phraseology is one of the factors that results in GoodWife and RWD being, by a VERY large distance, the most popular and vibrant sites in this niche of the internet space.

That popularity is also one of the reasons we attract shrill attention and mimicry from the jealous wannabee's. So be it.

The road to overcoming negative stereotypes is through demonstrating that we, here at RWD, are composed of members that are rational, intelligent, balanced, caring and 'normal' in nearly every aspect. If there are differences from the 'norm' - it is in our spirit of adventure and thinking in ways that considers options not occurring to others ('possibility thinking' - a GOOD thing). That already stands in stark contrast to most other sites of this sort on the 'net which are largely populated with petty, judgmental, and often cretinous individuals and owners.

- Dan

Offline Bruce

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 04:15:33 PM »
Dan, where are the results of the survey to date?  Or, could you provide the link to see the results of the survey?  Thanks 
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2008, 05:35:34 PM »
Dan, where are the results of the survey to date?  Or, could you provide the link to see the results of the survey?  Thanks 

Bruce,

I have been advised to not release any interim results. We have collected about one-third of the target number of respondents, so I expect we will need some weeks/months of data collection before we can perform the analysis and then publish the results.

- Dan

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2009, 12:01:17 PM »
Bruce,

I have been advised to not release any interim results. We have collected about one-third of the target number of respondents, so I expect we will need some weeks/months of data collection before we can perform the analysis and then publish the results.

- Dan

The results are now available and may be found here -- http://www.goodwife.com/survey/xcultural_p01.html

Enjoy!

- Dan

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2009, 03:20:23 PM »
Fascinating stuff with quite a few surprises!

Great work Dan.   :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Offline Angel Heart

• Commercial Member
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2010, 01:35:16 AM »
 :selfharm: Nagging questions by the feminist group?!!!
put 'em all to rest now.. Why don't they just join in  ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:40:01 AM by Angel Heart »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2010, 06:34:37 AM »
:selfharm: Nagging questions by the feminist group?!!!
put 'em all to rest now.. Why don't they just join in  ;D

>>Why don't they just join in<<

That have - and they do.

Welcome aboard Angel Heart. Would you be so kind as to make an introduction and let us know more about you and why you are here? The Introductions forum is here -- http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?board=41.0, and we look forward to learning more about you and how we may be able to help.

- Dan

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541001
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1892
Total: 1903

+-Recent Posts

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM