It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: First date with language barrier  (Read 6813 times)

Offline Jmoore10

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
First date with language barrier
« on: December 22, 2018, 08:42:03 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm specifically wondering how one can have a great first date with the language barrier.

I know a minor amount of Ukrainian as I have been studying and learning but, as any language, it'll take a long time to really hold a fluent conversation.

Anyone have any suggestions from experience?

thanks

Offline DaveNY

• Trips: > 10
Re: First date with language barrier
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 09:01:34 PM »
The only real effective advice I've heard of is to use a translation app. I've seen several although none for Ukrainian.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 09:04:11 PM »
My suggestion, from experience is . . . don't ever go on such dates !!!
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Jmoore10

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 09:14:22 PM »
The only real effective advice I've heard of is to use a translation app. I've seen several although none for Ukrainian.

Thanks DaveNY,

I appreciate the actual advice haha. I figured as much to use a translator app, when i meet her in early spring it will be through the agency sop a translator will be there.

But if the dates continue i would like to not have a 3rd wheel, though necessary it seems. Do you think it would be awkward if 2 people went on a date understanding they dont really understand what either one is saying?

thanks

Offline msmob

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 09:35:12 PM »

Huh ?

You've never heard of Google Translate ?...to mention but one ..

You can even download the language to have it when no internet is available on your smartphone..

As  ML suggests - dating someone with such a language barrier is testing your abilities to know each other

Some manage and never looked back

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 09:45:56 PM »
Huh ?

You've never heard of Google Translate ?...to mention but one ..

You can even download the language to have it when no internet is available on your smartphone..

As  ML suggests - dating someone with such a language barrier is testing your abilities to know each other

Some manage and never looked back

msmob I've been told that some translation apps are better than Google Translate. Don't know which and I'm not going to test them. If you care to evaluate various translation apps vs Google Translate and post the results I'm sure that'd be appreciated by all concerned.

Offline msmob

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 12:34:16 AM »
msmob I've been told that some translation apps are better than Google Translate. Don't know which and I'm not going to test them. If you care to evaluate various translation apps vs Google Translate and post the results I'm sure that'd be appreciated by all concerned.

Thanks ...most gracious of you, DaveNY, but your howler was noted and your 'response' was akin to - "I'll not admit my howler and raise some new bollox.."

*I* don't trust any translator - even a human one - as they can all mistranslate / miss a nuance. Try watching an Eng lang movie in Russian with English translation and you may get what I mean..

« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 03:52:39 AM by msmob »

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 02:01:39 AM »

Thanks DaveNY,

I appreciate the actual advice haha. I figured as much to use a translator app, when i meet her in early spring it will be through the agency sop a translator will be there.

But if the dates continue i would like to not have a 3rd wheel, though necessary it seems. Do you think it would be awkward if 2 people went on a date understanding they dont really understand what either one is saying?

thanks

Wait, there might be a red flag here.

Jmoore, the girl you have a “relationship” with...did you meet her via an agency, like AFA?  From your introduction post I assumed your girl knew English.  How do you communicate now?

Offline JayH

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 02:06:56 AM »

Thanks DaveNY,

thanks

OK- he we go !  Often I slap at some of the yesteryear people on the forum -- some comments above illustrate exactly why !What type of phone do you have ?
The translation via Google is available online and offline ( it will not be a problem to get wifi)  -- and it has improved so much that the old stagers here would be amazed !
You can use one phone ( or computer) or one each-- which is easiest and fastest [
I like Viber too -translation is quick and easy-- we use sometimes when we do not want others to hear English being spoken . As an example -girl; may not want everyone to know you aint from around there ( there can be a lot of reasons why)
It can actually be fun !
I have used the same principle in past years when meeting for the first time -- so it works.
Often-you will find a girls English is much better than she says   -- and that is no way is to say that nuances and subtleties of English are understood-- but basic words --ie the gist of a sentence .

Further -- having a 3rd party to translate -can be useful to help break the ice and keep the pressure off you both. It is important to get the terp onside -as their opinion of you could be important . If a friend or extended friend -- that is good with me. What is not good -- is some agency supplied terp.

I use my phone translation often -- and the comparison with say 4 years ago --is remarkable. It is so much better now, Not to say that it does not make mistakes -it does- and you need to be aware of that .

SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline JayH

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 02:26:33 AM »
Wait, there might be a red flag here.

Jmoore, the girl you have a “relationship” with...did you meet her via an agency, like AFA?  From your introduction post I assumed your girl knew English.  How do you communicate now?

The OP chose to ignore my questions and comments in previous thread -- now you are on it !!

Guys may not like the questions --but they really need to get real before even considering any of this.

Without going back over old ground -I have friends in the "business" - agency owners.managers.employees,interpreters etc - some I introduced to other members here --  I am not alone in having insight--others have written very good information on the forum.
Often-- we can all see  the newby not want to hear anything but from the cheer squad -- and all anyone else can see are red flags !
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Jamesukjames

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 02:43:01 AM »
OK so dating's supposed to be fun.  So as soon as possible get over to your g f country.  Forget a human translator or any apps just buy a small note pad and draw both of you can do this and its fun interact with the woman not your phone.  You don't want a third wheel even on date 1.  Many ukranian restaurants have an English menu in fact they spot me as English before I open my mouth.  Ukranian and Russian are very hard languages to learn.  I'm about to spend my 5th and 6 th week with my ukranian g f we've been dating 90 days.  Spend your money on cheap flights rather than web sites.  This is my 5th FSU relationship and I can tell you that the on line relationship was different from the face to face relationship every time.  In fact the worse on line the better in reality. 

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 02:55:47 AM »
Also through friends of friends I know loads of very pretty Belarusian girls most got married early 20s had a baby.  When they got to 30 husband traded them in for a 20 year old.  Only one of these women got on a dating site and it completely corrupted her.  I would advise getting out to the FSU rather than being lazy and using a computer.  Having said that my latest and maybe forever g f / wife captured me on fdating my first online introduction

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 03:10:35 AM »
Not to high jack your thread.  First time I met present gf in airport in Cyprus I couldn't find my date so used whats app to connect.  I could see this person who looked like a supermodel playing with her phone.  Whats app video had no way prepared me for this meeting.  Luckily for me she's such a sweet natured person we've been having a ball since.  She organises the bus to take me from Kiev to her home town  and when there I'm looked after so well I have to remember to man up and find some chores to do.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 03:24:23 AM »
When I say bus, I mean unmarked van collection from smoking shelter on 3rd/top floor of airport, just at the start of the official passenger drop off point for the airport.  Not the official bus station on the ground-floor.  I love the way the Ukranians  live such a relief from the corporate world.

Offline rwd123

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 03:30:28 AM »
My suggestion, from experience is . . . don't ever go on such dates !!!
/end thread

Man it can be a painful experience, in more ways than one. So best to avoid.

Meeting a woman through an agency and using their translator is not a good idea -though I've never used an agency for either.

The girl, "We can milk this guy for thousands."
You, "What did she say?"
The translator, "She said you have a great eyes."

Offline rwd123

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 03:31:25 AM »
Also - unless you are targeting western Ukraine you are better off learning Russian.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2018, 03:45:16 AM »
Jmoore you are supposed to be a man a leader.  You are about to let a translator take centre stage on your first date.  Man up and figure an alternative . 

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2018, 03:48:29 AM »
Also - unless you are targeting western Ukraine you are better off learning Russian.

Every Ukrainian under 35 can speak Ukrainian fluently. Furthermore there are regions in Central Ukraine that are as nationalistic as Western Ukraine.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmob

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2018, 03:57:43 AM »
Not to high jack your thread.  First time I met present gf in airport in Cyprus

So, you met for the fist time in Cyprus   and you didn't recognise her at the airport ? 

Scary ;)

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2018, 04:08:59 AM »
True I've never met someone before who looks so different on video and photos.  Also profile stated 5.8 i had not mentally factored in 4 inch heals and very short dress.  I was thinking jeans and sweatshirt having arrived from UK

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2018, 04:14:20 AM »
Plus she's 38 and people ask her if she's a student even women she meets through work so it's not a man thing.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2018, 04:22:04 AM »
Oh and that I had said I would be at the cafe at arrivals and to meet there and she was standing at car rental desk ))))

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2018, 04:29:41 AM »
I found out later she was embarased to have to resort to internet dating but did it because so many friends kept asking her why she was single.  She had asked about male friends of friends husbands and could not find any recommendations.  All her photos were taken by her 5 year old son as small town gossip goes a long way.  So basically her f dating profile was terrible and I just got lucky.  We have similar degrees so technical conversations often run another than small talk. 

Offline msmob

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2018, 04:30:14 AM »
So now, I'm guessing Larnaca - given it has a choice on exiting Baggage collection and customs  - TOTALLY stupid and a recipe to miss someone as the human 'default' to to walk straight on to the Tour Operator and Rental Car  exit - rather than turn right to the personal meet and greet

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2018, 04:33:53 AM »
Thanks msmob you are right explains a lot.  My first time in Cyprus.  Coral bay was great.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540998
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1978
Total: 1988

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM