It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Wealthy FSU people try to earn their living as ordinary people  (Read 5969 times)

Offline Lily

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Wealthy FSU people try to earn their living as ordinary people
« on: December 20, 2013, 03:02:52 PM »
Today I found an interesting Ukrainian TV project where a few wealthy Ukrainian businesspeople agree to give up their businesses and material assets for a while, and to try to go in the smaller towns in order to survive.

Sorry Russian and Ukrainian only. I understand it that it would have been tremendously interesting to have the stories translated. Perhaps your Russian friends could help. Or, some scenes are obvious and do not require much of the language knowledge.

The only asset that the participants can use is their skills, personality and willingness to take risk. For the project time, they have to arrange for themselves food, shelter and hopefully some entertainment. Here is Dmitry who owns seven restaurants in Kiev. Now he tries to earn his living by selling his cooking skills in an unknown city:

From my personal point of view, I find it strange why Dmitry has not tried to assert his rights when the policemen confronted and even arrested him. I don't understand why he agreed with a stupid accusation and signed the police protocoll without objections.

Here is Oksana, a member of Ukrainian parliament. She goes to Berdyansk, an economically depressed town at the seaside. Looks like she was the least successful economically, I don't think that she managed to earn any money for her skills:

Pt 1

Pt 2

Pt 3

What a beauty is that blonde businesswoman in the mink jacket!  8)

Pt 4

Have fun watching!  :D

Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
Re: Wealthy FSU people try to earn their living as ordinary people
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 03:07:33 PM »
From my personal point of view, I find it strange why Dmitry has not tried to assert his rights when the policemen confronted and even arrested him. I don't understand why he agreed with a stupid accusation and signed the police protocoll without objections.

I suspect he understood the consequences of arguing.  Anything from a hit in the liver with a baton to a more severe beating, to further charges.

ETA - I watched the whole first programme with the better half.  He said that the arrest was a set up, it is not something new, and the police would have made a small amount of money for the arrest.  The better half said Dima should not have said he was from Kyiv, and it was his luck he had only 50 hyrvnia on him.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:20:58 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Lily

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »
Yes, it is problematic with this type of tv projects that things could just be set up :(

I recall however how I was stopped by the police in Moscow myself. It was about 9 a.m. on Saturday, and I was walking in the residential area towards a metro station to go for my equestrian lesson. The policemen stopped me and asked for my passport. I told that I don't carry it with me right now, and asked why am I being stopped, as soon as I did not do anything against any law or rule right now, and no one alleged that I could be a wrongdoer. The policemen told that they suspect me to live in Moscow without registration. They could not explain what exactly in my behavior prompted them to believe this way  :-X
To be truthful, I told them that I don't reside in Moscow at all  ;D  They ordered me to go to the police van in order to bring me to the police office. I obeyed but continued to tell them that their actions are unlawful. They have driven me for about a few minutes  ;D  then told that for this time, I receive an oral warning from them  >:(  and they let me go. I wasn't even late for my lesson at that time!
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 10:26:13 AM »
Yes, it is problematic with this type of tv projects that things could just be set up :(

I recall however how I was stopped by the police in Moscow myself. It was about 9 a.m. on Saturday, and I was walking in the residential area towards a metro station to go for my equestrian lesson. The policemen stopped me and asked for my passport. I told that I don't carry it with me right now, and asked why am I being stopped, as soon as I did not do anything against any law or rule right now, and no one alleged that I could be a wrongdoer. The policemen told that they suspect me to live in Moscow without registration. They could not explain what exactly in my behavior prompted them to believe this way  :-X
To be truthful, I told them that I don't reside in Moscow at all  ;D  They ordered me to go to the police van in order to bring me to the police office. I obeyed but continued to tell them that their actions are unlawful. They have driven me for about a few minutes  ;D  then told that for this time, I receive an oral warning from them  >:(  and they let me go. I wasn't even late for my lesson at that time!

What was it they warned you "not" to do again?

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541334
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701