It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Happy Orthodox Easter!  (Read 8111 times)

Offline Leslie

• Opted-Out
Happy Orthodox Easter!
« on: May 01, 2005, 05:50:04 AM »
All over FSU today women have been cooking.  Easter bread, painted eggs.  In many flats there will be a celebration meal today.

My wife Natasha has spent most of today on the telephone (we are well into a second card!).  She started cooking a big meal but then left me to finish.  The sun is shining and the shashlyck are ready for the barbeque.

Happy Easter Everyone.

Les & Natasha

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
Happy Orthodox Easter!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 06:01:55 AM »
today women have been cooking

Nope You are wrong You should have done all that (cooking, paint eggs and clean flat) in THURSDAY (It's call clean Thursday):P

Well I'm far from Orthodox church and from any religion at all but we all used to paint eggs and visit cemestries at Easter (And did that even in Soviets times)

My husband (that "bag with sins":D) is a strong enough beliver. (Who do else can forgive all his sins exept God:D) So every Easter he goes to night messa (yep I don't know a word:? but think I do guess) in Church. (thank he does not demand I would do the same as I used to sleep in nights) And as I work today he cleaned graves  after winter alone

Offline TigerPaws

• 16 years together & still very much in love
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Happy Orthodox Easter!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 06:08:29 AM »
Bah! Humbug. Woops wrong holiday.

Offline Leslie

• Opted-Out
Happy Orthodox Easter!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 10:04:05 AM »
Well,

I have finished the washing up.  So here is some more explanation.

We have congratulated today (or have received congratulations) from Russia (including Siberia), all over Ukraine, Italy and of course from UK.  Today is a traditional day of celebration.  Over 40 people from 4 generations ate together today at our friends Vika and Andrei's small 3 room flat.  They arn't orthodox but that does not stop the party!

In Soviet times this was the day of military parades all over FSU. Do you remember the ICBM's trailing past the Kremlin?  My wife was forced to attend these parades - part of the price of belonging to a military family.  No one is forced to spend all night in standing in church, few young people do. The congregation is mostly babushka's.  All over Ukraine families and friends are celebrating today.  Ukrainians love to party!

I enjoy being part of this enormous extended family.  If I had married a western woman I would never have experienced all of this.  I find it strange that none of the other married guys are not experiencing the same sort of thing?  Maybe your wives have become westernized??

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
Happy Orthodox Easter!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 10:16:22 AM »
In soviet times May1 was a great holiday with people parades but not with military parades. (military parad was at November 7th And that was a great show as well)

As for Orthodox Easter then it alwasy makrs like now but this holiday falls on diferent days (as it counts according to Moon calendar) and it rare mix with May 1

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
Happy Orthodox Easter!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 10:24:45 AM »
As for all that stuff with religion, standing all nights in Churchers and kissing some relics then I don;'t see any "exciting" in that. I would admit some positive Churcher's role if there would be any improves in morality in comparation with times we were "forced" to go on parades in soviet times. As I don't see that in present society(yet) then all that stuff with Churches is only "show" - nice one - but nothing more

« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 10:32:00 AM by Elen »

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
Happy Orthodox Easter!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 10:36:32 AM »
Just got that:D Your wife does celebrate May 1:D:D:D Just look when she will invite guests next year I bet it will be at May1 but not at Easter (especialy if Easter will be in some rainy cold April):P:P

Offline MandM

• Trips: None (yet)
Happy Orthodox Easter!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 02:46:12 PM »
Quote from: Leslie
My wife Natasha has spent most of today on the telephone (we are well into a second card!).   

Les,

How much are you paying per minute on these cards? I have recently discovered a phone line which provides connection from England to Russia/Ukraine for 2p/min. Connection is very good. Let me know if you need the number.

Offline Leslie

• Opted-Out
Happy Orthodox Easter!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 03:23:23 AM »
Hi M&M,

We use this card -

http://www.uk66.com/Merchant2/agent.mv?AG=GB2&SC=PROD&S=GDY&P=Yes20

Charges are 6p per minute Ukraine 3p per minute Russia No surcharge of mobiles.  The line quality is generally very good.  We would be interested in deatails of any card which offers cheaper rates. 

We use 2-3 cards a month which equals around 15 hours of connect time a month.  If we used the standard BT service I would have to train for a new profession - Bank Robber!!

Offline ConnerVT

Happy Orthodox Easter!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 08:37:19 AM »
Quote from: Leslie
If we used the standard BT service I would have to train for a new profession - Bank Robber!!

Or perhaps CEO of a LD telecommunications provider -- bank robbing is for petty criminals!  :P

Offline MandM

Happy Orthodox Easter!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 10:34:29 AM »
Les,

I've been using this serivce for a few weeks now and am very happy with it. Dial 08444622020, and then follow the prompt (you'll just have to dial the number followed by #). The charge is 2p/min for both Russia and Ukraine. If you want to phone mobile, dial 08717727070 (7p/min)

Elle

Happy Orthodox Easter!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 02:18:43 PM »
M&M,

Please quote phone card costs in Euro or Dollar..   Do not know about pound.

I can quote you LD service  UK to Kiev as example   is    $0.021 each minute.  This plan has weekly minor weekly service chare.

I can quote you same service   at    $.025 each minute with no extra charges.

Time is renewed automatically debit you credit card or bank if you like.

I use LD plan for calls from Wisconsin to YO, Russia at cost of $0.049 each minute.  I give my Natasha pin and she calls me at same rate...

Offline MandM

Happy Orthodox Easter!
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 12:13:41 AM »
Ron,

I am not sure what the exchange rate for pound/dollar is now. But looks like the rates you quoted are cheaper.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541279
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2190
Most Online Ever: 12701