It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Shopping List...  (Read 15182 times)

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Shopping List...
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2005, 02:07:51 AM »
Quote from: Turboguy
Give her some education.  Hand her the paint brush and the can of paint.

Sure.

Well.. I thought about qualifying my short statement but don't want to spoil the 'fun' in store for you :P

Offline Turboguy

• Trips: > 10
Shopping List...
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2005, 03:58:19 AM »
Yea, I am more than ready.  I told my gal I might not have the place done and she said she would help me with it. 

When I made the list above I did not mention that the only refrigerater I have there now is one of the dorm room kind.  The only stove is a 2 burner hot plate.  My bath tub is in a bedroom (sitting there not installed)  humm,  I think I need to be superman. 

I might be on here in three weeks telling you how we had the interview.  Flew over.  She took one look at my place and said take me back to the airport.  I am going home where it is fancy and civilized, uhh, sorta.

Offline ConnerVT

Shopping List...
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2005, 04:08:39 AM »
Quote from: BC
Give her some education. Hand her the paint brush and the can of paint.

Sure.

Well.. I thought about qualifying my short statement but don't want to spoil the 'fun' in store for you :P[/quote]
BC, my wife is actually pretty good with a paint brush.  She also did a wonderful job sanding the woodwork in our bedroom, removing the over paint due to the poor repainting job the previous owner did.  She sanded by hand for over 2 hours.

I think the trick to it is waiting for the offer of assistance... ;)

TG -- Cabinets are finished?  Walls already painted?  I'd trade with you in a heartbeat.

Offline jb

Shopping List...
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2005, 04:32:01 AM »
Turbo,

I don't think it matters too much, she'll want to re-do everything in 6 months anyway.  I can't imagine any man fully understanding the female nesting urges.

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Trips: No Selection
Shopping List...
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2005, 04:43:51 AM »
Quote from: jb
I don't think it matters too much, she'll want to re-do everything in 6 months anyway. I can't imagine any man fully understanding the female nesting urges.

I must have the only Russian woman who does not want to change everything in the house. Elena has been here 7 months now and when I tell her she can do what she wants to do with decorating she tells me that this was my home before she came and she likes it the way it is. She "does" tell me that when we move into a new place she will make it her own.

Ken

"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline Turboguy

Shopping List...
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2005, 04:52:15 AM »
Quote from: ConnerVT
TG -- Cabinets are finished?  Walls already painted?  I'd trade with you in a heartbeat.

I have no walls at the moment.  I had mentioned before they are at Home Depot.   I am on my way in a few minutes to get drywall for the ceiling.   Darn, I hate hanging those big sheets of drywall on the ceiling alone.

Yes, the cabinets are finished.   They are in boxes in my living room.  When I look at what I have to do, I sure wonder how I will get it done but I do think I will.

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
Shopping List...
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2005, 05:38:54 AM »
Turbo, I just got digital television and there are two Russian channels. Maybe she can watch her soaps or music videos when I am at work.

The ceilings are almost done, just crown molding now and a ceiling fan.

I have a new bathroom sink and tiles also.

Offline jb

Shopping List...
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2005, 05:57:56 AM »
Clyde,

Just a thought, but you might want to wean her off the Russian language TV as much as possible.  English with sub-titles, I think, is better.  The reason I say this is the more she and the kid are around Russian, the more slowly they will work to acquire English skills.

I know you are thinking to make her life easier and better, but in the long run you will make things harder for her in the required adjustment to life in the USA.  She needs English more than she needs Russian soap operas.

Offline Turboguy

Shopping List...
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2005, 06:10:46 AM »
Hi Son of Clyde,

I don't have Russian channels available through the cable company but can get two channels if I go with the dish network.   Right now I don't have anything and need to hook up to one or the other fast.

a.  I agree with jb that the Russian channels will slow up the learing English part.   I think though it would make the post partum blues less though so I can see both sides of it.   I know when I am spending extended periods in Russia I would about kill for a few good English channels.

The dubbing has gotten much better these days.  When I first went to Russia a lot of the tv fare was american movies from the 50's and 60's with more what I would call voice over than dubbing.   You would come away with a headache but if you listened real hard you could follow the English.   The Russian part had one person reading all the lines.   Man, woman, child all one voice.

Luda says she does not watch tv and feels it is a waste of time.  I don't know what to do in my case.  If I thought she would like the Russian channels I would go with the Dish network. 

There is a web service for some programing   it is www.jumptv.com  It is 5.95 a month for dial up and $ 9.95 for broadband.   If I need to I can try that until I get the satellite hooked up.

Offline Bruno

Shopping List...
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2005, 06:18:03 AM »
There is a web service for some programing   it is http://www.jumptv.com  It is 5.95 a month for dial up and $ 9.95 for broadband.   If I need to I can try that until I get the satellite hooked up.

Take a look at http://wwitv.com/ ... several channel worldwide... some russian and ukrainian... FREE

For radio worldwide... http://www.radio-locator.com/ ... +2500 audio stream... Again, FREE

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
  • Trips: None (yet)
Shopping List...
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2005, 03:49:42 PM »
I think though it would make the post partum blues less though so I can see both sides of it.   I know when I am spending extended periods in Russia I would about kill for a few good English channels.

Try this out on her ;)

Russkoe Radio 102.9 broadcast live from Nizhniy Novgorod

http://www.rusradio.nnov.ru/index.phtml

(runs on RealPlayer or winamp)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 03:50:00 PM by Jet »
Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

Offline ConnerVT

Shopping List...
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2005, 04:13:28 PM »
This one plays in our house daily.

http://russianinternet.com/radio/russkoe32.html

Offline Turboguy

Shopping List...
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2005, 04:39:13 PM »
Wow Jet,  That one should blow her mind.   Thanks conner.  The more the merrier.   I think I am going with regular cable for now.   I have to make a one year committment for the dish network.  Cable I can have shut off tomorrow.   I will try all the free stuff to keep her happy. 

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541457
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 1973
Most Online Ever: 12701