It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: "I not understand you"  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
"I not understand you"
« on: March 30, 2006, 02:34:22 PM »
When did your wife stop saying "I don't understand"?

I can tell my wife's English has improved immensly because I have not heard these words in months. Even though she rarely asks me for help with her English, it seems she has learned much from my family, my friends and from me.

She has been reading her English study books every night and it shows in her comprehension of everyday conversations. I can only imagine how much her English will improve by this time next year.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 02:36:00 PM by Son of Clyde »

Offline rose

"I not understand you"
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 02:47:48 PM »
It seems that your wife isn't one of those "lazy" gals .... :D

Offline Voyageur

"I not understand you"
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 04:28:53 AM »
SOC, in my experience with a particular RW woman :), the sometimes seemingly innocuous expression "I don't understand you" can have a more serious meaning. 

In my case, this means get ready to rumble :?.  And this is because you are doing something that she does not agree with or is not consistant with the opinion of the "neck" of the family :D.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 04:32:00 AM by Voyageur »

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
"I not understand you"
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 06:00:13 AM »
Rose, she is a very hard working woman.

Voyageur, sometimes she says this when she is angry but in the beginning she really did not understand me. The English lessons and her studying paid off. Now she will say "What are you talking about?"

Offline Maxx

• Opted-Out
"I not understand you"
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 06:24:19 AM »
Mine used to say "It not like me" meaning "I don't like it". Also she said "You say me" meaning "You said to me". Usually that one meant I had some explaining to do about somethng she preceived as inconsistant in my words or actions or something I promised her that she hadn't gotten yet.

Maxx 

Offline Ste

"I not understand you"
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 07:09:09 AM »
Works the other way too - I thought I was saying 'come with me' in Russian but I said the russian equivilent of 'go fück yourself'. I can't remember the phrase now, poshli menya (without 'na hoiy'!) I think.......

Ste

PS swear filter removed my 'fück'!!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 07:10:00 AM by Ste »

Offline rose

"I not understand you"
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 12:53:03 PM »
Very often girls don't use the phrase "I don't understand you" just because they don't want to be embarrassed in their lack of English. I still don't feel ashamed to say it, because I believe that it is essential to understand the other person, because otherwise it can lead to misunderstanding. Also I love to use this phrase at school when I want to slow down the professor. :D

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2237
Total: 2247

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM