Forum > Cultural and Political Events

What makes the FSU so interesting?

(1/225) > >>

mendeleyev:
From the Mendeleyev Journal story, In Russia it's all about the chocolate.

Sitting on a plane making ready for takeoff from Atlanta some few days ago I listened to a guy in the row behind me wax eloquent on the glories of Russia to his seatmate. I kept quiet -- nothing ruins a good conversation like input from someone who knows what they're talking about -- and listened with a smile.

To hear it from this fellow, all the ladies in Russia have blonde hair and blue eyes and the food is just like American cuisine; in fact, he seems to believe that most Russians eat at McDonalds every day. Perhaps he is right and I'm just blind to it all.

That is okay because he did get it right in one area...the chocolate.

Oh boy, especially that European dark confection that causes a diet managed diabetic like myself to risk it all for just a taste. While no one is watching, of course.

So much chocolate, so little time!

There is even a fast growing chain of chocolate oriented stores that serve great chocolates along with tea and fruit drinks.

What a country!

Steamer:
What I enjoy most about Russian chocolate is that it's not too sugary and you can really get into the taste. Russian ice cream is also the best.

mendeleyev:
From the Mendeleyev Journal section on Russian cuisine: main dishes.

The Russian word for eggs is яйца (YEEt-sa).

That part is easy. The hard part is figuring out why most egg cartons come with 10 eggs instead of a dozen.

If the expression cheaper by the dozen is true, then I'd like to know why do stores sell them by 10 instead?

Supermarkets and medium sized neighborhood markets package eggs in styrofoam cartons like most other places in the modern world, but in a group of 10.

As eggs are not a breakfast staple in many homes, Russian housewives use them for cooking and baking and perhaps that is why they don't come in a dozen. I asked one time and the blank stare and shrug of shoulders clued me in that not only did the shopkeeper not have an answer, but neither did she share my curiosity about how eggs are packaged.

To be fair, in the small markets and kiosks you don't have to purchase eggs in a carton. Just like potatoes, you can ask for 2 or 3 eggs. Or 4 or 5 if you'd like. They'll be put in a small plastic bag, tied tight at the top and you are responsible for getting them home without breaking.

The news today says that hurricane Rita could impact more than a dozen cruise ships and that the Texas drought could force the relocation of more than a dozen buffalo. Well, why not just write that more than ten cruise ships would be impacted or that more than ten buffalo would be located?

If it is so danged important to group buffalo by the dozen in Texas then surely someone should suggest to the Russians the idea of cooperating with the rest of the world and sell eggs by the dozen!

Then again, some ideas just aren't that important.  :)

Ranetka:
Eggs are in ten because Russia uses metric system for ages. I am sure you know this really:-)

Faux Pas:

--- Quote from: Ranetka on October 26, 2011, 09:56:47 AM ---Eggs are in ten because Russia uses metric system for ages. I am sure you know this really:-)

--- End quote ---

Are you sure thats the reason?

What in your opinion, would be the reason for eggs to come in a dozen/12 per carton for Standard measuring countries? 12 has no significance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version