It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Ukraine-The Future  (Read 208799 times)

lordtiberius

Re: Ukraine-The Future
« Reply #375 on: February 25, 2015, 08:34:06 PM »

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Newsweek piece
« Reply #376 on: February 25, 2015, 11:14:38 PM »
You guessed it, I just so happened to be browsing the internet this evening when I ran across a Newsweek article.  Apparently somebody leaked a document that may have had some influence on Putin's decisions.  I really don't know the authenticity of any of this, but it does appear plausible.  The gist of the article is that it is a blueprint on how to successfully invade/influence the eastern reaches of Ukraine.  According to this article, it appears that the intent was/is somewhat limited, which if true could mean an end to the fighting sooner rather than later.  From what I gathered a key part will be what changes there will be in the Ukraine constitution. 

Here it is for your viewing pleasure:
http://www.newsweek.com/top-secret-briefing-advising-putin-break-ukraine-leaked-309477

A top secret Kremlin briefing purportedly intended for the eyes of Russian President Vladimir Putin on the eve of Ukraine’s revolution which discusses how to co-opt regions of the country’s east into the Russian Federation has been leaked, according to Russian media.........

I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #377 on: February 26, 2015, 03:42:34 AM »
Neville Chamberlain:
According to this article, it appears that the intent was/is somewhat limited, which if true could mean an end to the fighting sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately you read only an overview apparently. The Newsweek version was edited for length. I do respect you for reading it, and seeing another side of the conflict.

Rain TV ran the Russian language version, as did Echo Radio, and I read the original Novaya Gazeta version. It is anything but "limited" in scope. It calls for the gradual breakup of Ukraine into small independent units, which over time (and with the constitutional changes you mentioned), annex large swaths after so-called referendums were held. The final goal was to force a smaller remaining Ukraine back into the federation at some point.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Re: Newsweek piece
« Reply #378 on: February 26, 2015, 05:00:21 PM »
According to this article, it appears that the intent was/is somewhat limited, which if true could mean an end to the fighting sooner rather than later.

Putin has already advanced further than the recommendations of the memo which is a clear indication that there may be no limit to what Putin is willing to do. The author of the memo thought Donetsk Oblast should be left out of the regions to be reoriented into Russian influence when in fact Donetsk Oblast is one of the first regions Putin went after.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

lordtiberius

Re: Newsweek piece
« Reply #379 on: February 26, 2015, 05:09:00 PM »

Putin has already advanced further than the recommendations of the memo which is a clear indication that there may be no limit to what Putin is willing to do.

Still think he is the master strategist?

Offline fathertime

« Reply #380 on: February 26, 2015, 07:34:14 PM »
Neville Chamberlain:
Unfortunately you read only an overview apparently. The Newsweek version was edited for length. I do respect you for reading it, and seeing another side of the conflict.

Rain TV ran the Russian language version, as did Echo Radio, and I read the original Novaya Gazeta version. It is anything but "limited" in scope. It calls for the gradual breakup of Ukraine into small independent units, which over time (and with the constitutional changes you mentioned), annex large swaths after so-called referendums were held. The final goal was to force a smaller remaining Ukraine back into the federation at some point.

If indeed Newsweek has misrepresented the entire version of the document, then that is an indictment on our media. 
I'm glad you are respecting the opinion I've been stating, even if you think it is not correct.

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #381 on: February 27, 2015, 03:21:19 AM »
I'm glad you are respecting the opinion I've been stating, even if you think it is not correct.

Mendeleyev can speak for himself but, in my opinion, that is a load of bollocks!  From what I can see, mendy is respecting the fact that you bothered to read something which provided a different view of the conflict.  There's nothing that I can see which shows any respect for your opinion.

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #382 on: March 02, 2015, 07:51:54 PM »
Vice News Dispatch 96

http://news.vice.com/video/civilians-return-to-debaltseve-russian-roulette-dispatch-96

My wife happened to walk in when I was playing the video.  As the residents were stating how much they want to be part of Russia she stated "PROPAGANDA".   She was also amused when they were complaining that they had only received one Humanitarian Aid shipment since the fighting started and now they had aid....... except she stated that the packages of aid were Ukrainian.   LOL   Apparently, she recognizes the packaging and labels.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline JayH

« Reply #383 on: March 03, 2015, 01:52:11 AM »
There is a lot been written on different aspects of the crisis facing Ukraine-- another interesting piece here that discusses more issues and angles!

Ukraine's Next Battle Zone Is Its Economy

Even as it struggles to maintain a fragile peace along its eastern border, Ukraine's government must tackle another problem: rescuing its economy. This is going to take an epic debt-relief deal that may prove no less challenging than containing the Russia-backed insurgency. But there is a way to make it work.

A brutal combination of war and currency devaluation has pushed Ukraine to the brink of insolvency. Its debts, denominated largely in dollars, hover around 100 percent of gross domestic product, up from about 40 percent a year ago and well above the 70 percent level that the International Monetary Fund considers excessive for an emerging-market country. Principal and interest due over the next three years exceed $27 billion, equivalent to more than a quarter of government expenditure.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-03-03/ukraine-s-next-battle-zone-is-its-economy
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

lordtiberius

« Reply #384 on: March 03, 2015, 10:10:05 AM »
Price of oil in play again

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Oil-Prices/Could-Oil-Prices-Plummet-A-Second-Time.html

Oil at $ 44 in January

22,000 jobs lost in Houston

US economic growth re-tooling away from oil production.  Free money from Wall street blunts lower prices of commodities and hurts main street while US oligarchs get even richer.

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #385 on: March 03, 2015, 11:59:50 PM »
Price of oil in play again

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Oil-Prices/Could-Oil-Prices-Plummet-A-Second-Time.html

Oil at $ 44 in January

22,000 jobs lost in Houston

US economic growth re-tooling away from oil production.  Free money from Wall street blunts lower prices of commodities and hurts main street while US oligarchs get even richer.

This is all part of the strategy of the New Democratic Party.  Favor Wall Street, Bankers and Big Corporations while simultaneously fooling and enslaving others into class and gender warfare.

lordtiberius

« Reply #386 on: March 04, 2015, 05:12:42 AM »
The DC GOP is apart of that plan too.  They have made no significant progress in reversing this trend even with control of both houses of Congress.

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #387 on: March 04, 2015, 12:36:25 PM »
The DC GOP is apart of that plan too.  They have made no significant progress in reversing this trend even with control of both houses of Congress.

Which is why a real 3rd party would be good for the country and good for DC.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #388 on: March 04, 2015, 01:19:23 PM »

Agree!
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline AkMike

« Reply #389 on: March 04, 2015, 01:31:17 PM »
Or get rid of the party system and let each 'politico' run on his own merits.

lordtiberius

« Reply #390 on: March 04, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »

I wish it were that easy brother.

lordtiberius

« Reply #391 on: March 04, 2015, 04:08:46 PM »
Or get rid of the party system and let each 'politico' run on his own merits.

Single combat

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #392 on: March 06, 2015, 04:30:11 PM »
The Federation Council (Russian Senate) is indicating that they are looking into a draft law that would recognize the LNR and the DNR (New Russia, Luhansk and Donetsk regions) as independent countries.

It is the Federation Council that would be responsible to rubber stamp approve such actions for the Kremlin.

Recent examples: Abkhazia, South Ossetia, and the recognition of Crimea's independence and the annexation.

Normally the Federation Council, although the most powerful of the legislative bodies, stays in the background while allowing clowns in the Duma to make public fools of themselves. It is usually the government that asks the FC to pass such laws, not by pronouncement of the Council.

My personal reaction is that this is meant to remind Kyiv of certain autonomy provisions in Minsk-2, but it is also a test balloon to see how such an idea will play with the Russian populace (who certainly understand Russia's financial role in propping up such new states), and to see how the West will react.

If there is no outcry other than the usual pounding on the desk and empty threats, then we may see the idea move forward. The pretext would be that Kyiv failed to implement Minsk-2 properly.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:32:42 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #393 on: March 06, 2015, 04:54:53 PM »
It would not necessarily be a bad thing for Ukraine if those areas were recognized as independent countries, provided the war, and territorial ambitions stopped.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

lordtiberius

« Reply #394 on: March 06, 2015, 05:19:02 PM »
Defeatism disguises itself in pragmatism.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #395 on: March 06, 2015, 05:20:04 PM »
Would it be better for thousands more to die for an area that is not economically a plus for Ukraine?
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline The Natural

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #396 on: March 06, 2015, 05:22:59 PM »
It would not necessarily be a bad thing for Ukraine if those areas were recognized as independent countries, provided the war, and territorial ambitions stopped.

Wow, I agree. Wouldn't it be Nice if the war stopped completely and everyone went back to here they came from? Alas, I believe it's only a beautiful dream. Seems to me more People in high positions in Washington are dying for more war, most of all With Russia (which will develop to WW3).

Offline Muzh

« Reply #397 on: March 06, 2015, 05:51:42 PM »
Defeatism disguises itself in pragmatism.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

lordtiberius

« Reply #398 on: March 06, 2015, 07:41:46 PM »
Would it be better for thousands more to die for an area that is not economically a plus for Ukraine?

Even if what you said is true, and its not, do you really think the boys in the Kremlin will go for it?

Offline Boethius

« Reply #399 on: March 06, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »
That area is not an economic plus for Ukraine.  It takes more in services that it sends back to Kyiv, and its industry is largely dirty, dangerous, and being phased out. 

If the Kremlin doesn't want further sanctions, it won't have much choice.  Cutting the ability of oligarchs to access their funds (via SWIFT), and restricting their ability to travel abroad will bring the Kremlin into line.  The question you ask is the wrong one.  The right question is whether the EU has the cojones to up the ante.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1953
Total: 1962

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM