It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Does the ring matter?  (Read 35500 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Does the ring matter?
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 01:50:13 AM »
The ring is [or should be] an outward expression of an inward feeling.

Zirconium all the way!!!
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 02:49:19 AM »
I am not a materialistic person. I don't have an engagement ring. But I would be majorly p*ssed off if the man I was to marry thought so little of me, he purchased me a cheapo fake diamond that costs less than a week's worth of Starbucks' lattes. Furthermore, cubic zirconias tend to cloud with time (if they don't crack) from oils they're exposed to. Really, if you're that damn cheap, skip the ring and spend your money on a good wedding band.

The ring itself is a bit over £300 from a shop she likes for Jewelry, I do not know if she would pacifically like this ring, but I like it and think she might also. Its mainly down to it being 14ct gold I think the price as I understand Zirconia stones are pretty cheap as they are manufactured. I don't see it as thinking so little of her just thinking of a ring and style that would suit her and looks good (at least to me) even if it does not contain real diamonds.

I mean are you female? Are you from FSU?
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 04:35:29 AM »

I mean are you female? Are you from FSU?

Trench, you DO know what the little gender icon in our profiles signifies ?

'Pacifically' ?

You keep proving you are inattentive and don't read folks' posts ((

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2017, 06:24:22 AM »
Trench, you DO know what the little gender icon in our profiles signifies ?

'Pacifically' ?

You keep proving you are inattentive and don't read folks' posts ((

Boethius has no gender icon in his profile in fact he has no nothing. Who is not being atentative now? :D
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2017, 06:51:02 AM »
Boethius has no gender icon in his her profile.. in fact he she has no nothing profile info. Who is not being atentative a hypercritical nag now? :D
A bit of a correction.

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline msmob

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2017, 06:52:11 AM »
Boethius has no gender icon in his profile in fact he has no nothing. Who is not being atentative now? :D

Well now, score 1 point for Trench

:D

However, IF you bothered to READ her posts you'd know how laughable the question was - and how inattentive you are

Offline HoundDaddyLee

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2017, 08:05:30 AM »
I had to look this up. Trench joined in December 2015. So he has been on here 18 months and he doesn't know that Boe is a woman. As well as a woman who is marred to a FSUM and has lived "in country".

Trench, you are way to early to be thinking about a ring. If that time comes, put a crow bar in your wallet and let the woman pick out a ring. If she is a good woman she will not pick out a 3 caret diamond (unless you can easily afford it :) )

You are putting the cart before the horse at this point. Just because you slept with her doesn't mean you have to marry her.

HDL

Offline ML

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2017, 08:24:32 AM »
Just because you slept with her doesn't mean you have to marry her.

When did that rule change ?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2017, 09:15:30 AM »
When did that rule change ?
Well, she's not pregnant yet.....
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2017, 09:26:56 AM »
I had to look this up. Trench joined in December 2015. So he has been on here 18 months and he doesn't know that Boe is a woman. As well as a woman who is marred to a FSUM and has lived "in country".

Trench, you are way to early to be thinking about a ring. If that time comes, put a crow bar in your wallet and let the woman pick out a ring. If she is a good woman she will not pick out a 3 caret diamond (unless you can easily afford it :) )

You are putting the cart before the horse at this point. Just because you slept with her doesn't mean you have to marry her.

HDL

I'm kind of traditional HDL in that I believe the man should chose the engagement ring. I'm pretty certain now I will go for the Zirconia one when the time comes. If she really hates it I should be able to take it back to the shop or if too much time has passed at least flog it on and she can chose another. Its not real expensive so its not a big deal. If I were to choose an expensive one she didn't like then I would feel even crappier about it. Looking online some women actually prefer Zirconia stoned rings as they can be a prettier style than diamond rings. Plus there is no possible issue with them being blood diamonds so I won't have that on my mind. If she loses it too its not going to be 'oh well there so & so much down the drain' & replacement issues. 

Offline HoundDaddyLee

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2017, 10:05:27 AM »
I'm kind of traditional HDL in that I believe the man should chose the engagement ring. I'm pretty certain now I will go for the Zirconia one when the time comes. If she really hates it I should be able to take it back to the shop or if too much time has passed at least flog it on and she can chose another. Its not real expensive so its not a big deal. If I were to choose an expensive one she didn't like then I would feel even crappier about it. Looking online some women actually prefer Zirconia stoned rings as they can be a prettier style than diamond rings. Plus there is no possible issue with them being blood diamonds so I won't have that on my mind. If she loses it too its not going to be 'oh well there so & so much down the drain' & replacement issues.

Cool... Now worried about "blood diamonds"  :wallbash:

Please, Trench, listen to the advice people are giving you. Especially the ones who are married (Boe, ML, TooTallBill, BillyB, TFCrew). I think if you give a girl a cheap ring you are shooting yourself in the foot. But maybe you will get lucky.

HDL

Offline jone

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
I truly enjoy how cheap Trench is.  His postings are, like, from another planet.  Proof positive that he has absolutely no clue on how to treat a woman.  In the end, the woman wants a man.  Not a greedy SOB.  The bloom will come off the rose very quickly on a relationship where the man is this cheap (greedy).
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline HoundDaddyLee

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2017, 10:48:25 AM »
I truly enjoy how cheap Trench is.  His postings are, like, from another planet.  Proof positive that he has absolutely no clue on how to treat a woman.  In the end, the woman wants a man.  Not a greedy SOB.  The bloom will come off the rose very quickly on a relationship where the man is this cheap (greedy).

Jon, I think it is humorous to the point that he going into "troll" territory. Taken in small bites, he comes across as a cheap SOB. But looking at his body of work, we may just be "pulling our leg". We do know he won't listen though. So  :popcorn:

[/size][size=78%] [/size]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:00:38 AM by HoundDaddyLee »

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Does the ring matter?
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2017, 10:58:20 AM »
I think if I were to buy a ring I would take a stab at the Zirconia ring and see how I fair.

As far as I can tell, 100% of the members have advised against your plan,
but you've decided to do so anyway. Why did you post the question?

Let me add an additional piece of information. Let's say she gets the ring resized,
or cleaned, or someday wants to match earrings for it. 100% of jewelers will point
out that it's zirconia, because they don't want to be accused of stealing the diamonds
and replacing them with fakes.

When that happens, and it will happen she will go on a wild witch hunt trying to find
out who stole her diamonds. She will scorch the Earth, no friend or foe will be spared, 
blood and guts will be everywhere. You have never seen a woman on a rampage until
you've seen an FSUW on a rampage.

If you need to put her on a budget then do so, but don't buy the ring without her
input, and don't buy zirconia. My advice is to trust her and take her shopping after
you ask her to marry you and stop posting questions when your mind is already
completely and totally made up. That's part of what gets you so much of grief
from the peanut gallery.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Does the ring matter?
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 11:12:38 AM »
Please, Trench, listen to the advice people are giving you. Especially the ones who are married (Boe, ML, TooTallBill, BillyB, TFCrew). I think if you give a girl a cheap ring you are shooting yourself in the foot. But maybe you will get lucky.

HDL

:D

For the newbies (because Trench has already made up his mind)
There is a HUGE difference between cheap and inexpensive.

A gold ban is simple, elegant, classy and inexpensive.
A zirconia is cheap. It's cheap like a bottle blond with
an 8 inch black stripe down the center of her head.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:18:31 AM by 2tallbill »
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline ML

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 12:13:01 PM »
I don't know, maybe too much is being made of this diamond vs zirconia thing.

Last summer at a picnic party, I met a local jeweler who has a small shop.  We ate together and had long conversations.
One day when I was downtown I noticed I was walking past his shop, so stopped in for another long chat.
He suggested we go for lunch.  He proceeded to pick up several cases of jewelry and put them in a safe.
I noticed that he left another group of cases out, and asked him about it.
He said those were zirconias.
When we came back, I asked him if he could show me the difference between the diamonds and the zirconias.
So he got out some loose ones of each type.
He picked one of each of about the same size and asked me to look at them.
I saw no difference.
Then he held some sort of light under them and told me how one of them  (don't remember which) was sort of dark on the bottom.
I looked but could still not distinguish anything different about them.

Thus, I am wondering if we are making a big deal out of nothing, and perhaps it's time that men (mostly) stop having to shell out bucks (big or small) for something that is mostly indistinguishable from a less expensive item.

Yes, I understand that women (mostly) may think that if we spend larger amounts of money on a gift it means we think more of them . . . but maybe this idea needs to change also.

The main thing about wearing jewelry is that it looks good on the person wearing it.

Anyone looking at two women wearing identical jewelry with one being diamonds and the other zirconia will not be able to tell the difference. 
Even a jeweler will not be able to tell the difference until he looks at each using a special light or other tool.

OK, so maybe the zirconia changes over time to become less attractive.
Well then replace it 10 times over 40 years and still be loads of money ahead.

When we get right down to it . . . isn't this something in the realm of psychology ?

How about an analogy?
Imagine all the kids, many of whom live in ghettos with inadequate nutrition who insist on wearing the Nike's or whatever with the name of sports star on them.
I think some of them cost $100 or more.
Those shoes are no different in function to the $9.00 running shoes that I buy at WalMart.

Pure waste of money for psychological effect.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline HoundDaddyLee

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »

Last summer at a picnic party, I met a local jeweler who has a small shop.  We ate together and had long conversations.
One day when I was downtown I noticed I was walking past his shop, so stopped in for another long chat.
He suggested we go for lunch.  He proceeded to pick up several cases of jewelry and put them in a safe.
When we came back, I asked him if he could show me the difference between the diamonds and the zirconias.
I saw no difference.
Then he held some sort of light under them and told me how one of them  (don't remember which) was sort of dark on the bottom.

Thus, I am wondering if we are making a big deal out of nothing, and perhaps it's time that men (mostly) stop having to shell out bucks (big or small) for something that is mostly indistinguishable from a less expensive item.

Yes, I understand that women (mostly) may think that if we spend larger amounts of money on a gift it means we think more of them . . . but maybe this idea needs to change also.

The main thing about wearing jewelry is that it looks good on the person wearing it.

Anyone looking at two women wearing identical jewelry with one being diamonds and the other zirconia will not be able to tell the difference. 
Even a jeweler will not be able to tell the difference until he looks at each using a special light or other tool.

When we get right down to it . . . isn't this something in the realm of psychology ?

How about an analogy?
Imagine all the kids, many of whom live in ghettos with inadequate nutrition who insist on wearing the Nike's or whatever with the name of sports star on them.
Those shoes are no different in function to the $9.00 running shoes that I buy at WalMart.

I won't argue with your logic ML. An industry has popped up around certain stone that is "rare". Ultimately, this is not about diamond v zirconia. It is about Trench's continued miserly behavior/attitude. Oh, and that he is thinking engagement after a week of bedroom bliss.

And Bill is correct. If Trench gives her a zirconia and she thinks it is a diamond, she will find out. In another thread I mentioned to Trench that he has not seen an FSUW angry yet. That will be an eye opener for him.

HDL

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2017, 12:56:19 PM »

I saw no difference.

How about an analogy?

:D Thanks ML this was exactly what I was getting at. The stones are indistinguishable to most, to me the Zirconia stone ring looks great, it sparkles a lot and I think would look good on her. Apparently I read somewhere that the more recent Zirconia rings don't cloud over anymore as they have had calcium added to them and in any case this only occasionally happened if it was subject to lots of abuse over a period of time from washing chemicals, etc. Diamonds themselves are not perfect so I don't really see the real draw if you can get a stone that sparkles as much, looks alike but is a lot cheaper why not.

If it looks the real deal then its as good as.

It may look as though I post up these topics with my mind already made up, but to be honest I am bouncing ideas of you guys to get to sound reasoning on the issue. I kind of helps going through it just so that I can be sure I made the right choice. I was take by the Zirconia ring right away on seeing it yet I read all this prattle on the internet about diamond rings & so much of your salary. There's a lot of push out there towards this but these days I don't see the point. I would rather do what I think is right for us than feel I have to go along with the imposition of a diamond ring for the sake of it. Yes I can afford it but I kind of find it stuffy and in a way stifling I would rather make my own choice and to hell with it.

In any case FSW you don't have to get a ring so the idea of it being a diamond ring just doesn't hold water since she is getting something she is not expecting anyway so as long as there is some sort of quality to the ring (which there is its 14ct gold and a nice style I think) then I'm sure she'll be happy.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2017, 01:06:04 PM »

I won't argue with your logic ML. An industry has popped up around certain stone that is "rare". Ultimately, this is not about diamond v zirconia. It is about Trench's continued miserly behavior/attitude. Oh, and that he is thinking engagement after a week of bedroom bliss.

And Bill is correct. If Trench gives her a zirconia and she thinks it is a diamond, she will find out. In another thread I mentioned to Trench that he has not seen an FSUW angry yet. That will be an eye opener for him.

HDL

Why would she immediately assume it is diamond, she might, but unless I tell her its diamond and it is otherwise then it is just her misbelief and I can hardly be blamed for that if I made no statement as to the type of stones.

To my mind she is the one. I think sometimes you just know perhaps it might not work out but I can't see the point in waiting on when all seems good. I'm not saying I'm going to do it imminently but waiting years like you have HDL just lloks like wasting time a bit like someone who corresponds for years only then eventually meet and find out there is no chemistry. You might as well jump in sooner rather than yet years while away. My thoughts are that the women you are in contact with might not be the one if you've waited years, yes I know there's this that and the other reason why but there always is unless you jointly make the changes necessary. You might be best of letting that fish go and dipping into the pond for another one ;)

Offline HoundDaddyLee

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2017, 01:25:19 PM »
Why would she immediately assume it is diamond, she might, but unless I tell her its diamond and it is otherwise then it is just her misbelief and I can hardly be blamed for that if I made no statement as to the type of stones.

To my mind she is the one. I think sometimes you just know perhaps it might not work out but I can't see the point in waiting on when all seems good. I'm not saying I'm going to do it imminently but waiting years like you have HDL just lloks like wasting time a bit like someone who corresponds for years only then eventually meet and find out there is no chemistry. You might as well jump in sooner rather than yet years while away. My thoughts are that the women you are in contact with might not be the one if you've waited years, yes I know there's this that and the other reason why but there always is unless you jointly make the changes necessary. You might be best of letting that fish go and dipping into the pond for another one ;)

Your reading comprehension is very bad Trench. My girl and I see each other about every 10 weeks for 8 - 10 days. I go there, she comes here. We Skype twice daily during week days and more often on weekends. I told you the reason for putting off the move in the another thread. We are very happy. We have wonderful chemistry that was built in Skype first.

This is not a sprint Trench, it is a marathon. You have not met her family yet. If you think that is not important, you have another thing coming. You had a good 7 days with her. You have another trip planned. I recommend before the snow flies to plan a trip to Kherson to meet her family and friends. There are flights to Kherson from Istanbul (Turkish Airlines 2 per day). We have all told you that seeing the person in their environment is important. I am lucky my girl has a US visa (and a good job that gives her vacation time). She has seen my house, met my friends. I have lived in her house for many days/nights.

Let me ask you. If this girl was from England, would you be proposing marriage after 7 dates? If so, please carry on. Boe moved in with her husband quickly and is in a happy marriage, so it can happen. But these forums are littered with the remains of "one-week" wonders. As you are very risk adverse, please enter that statistic into your risk computation. I am trying not to sugar coat this for you. Certainly your FSUW will not be sugar coating anything. You are galloping toward a cliff and the audience is warning you to stop, but you refuse to listen.

HDL

Offline jone

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »

Your reading comprehension is very bad Trench. My girl and I see each other about every 10 weeks for 8 - 10 days. I go there, she comes here. We Skype twice daily during week days and more often on weekends. I told you the reason for putting off the move in the another thread. We are very happy. We have wonderful chemistry that was built in Skype first.

This is not a sprint Trench, it is a marathon. You have not met her family yet. If you think that is not important, you have another thing coming. You had a good 7 days with her. You have another trip planned. I recommend before the snow flies to plan a trip to Kherson to meet her family and friends. There are flights to Kherson from Istanbul (Turkish Airlines 2 per day). We have all told you that seeing the person in their environment is important. I am lucky my girl has a US visa (and a good job that gives her vacation time). She has seen my house, met my friends. I have lived in her house for many days/nights.

Let me ask you. If this girl was from England, would you be proposing marriage after 7 dates? If so, please carry on. Boe moved in with her husband quickly and is in a happy marriage, so it can happen. But these forums are littered with the remains of "one-week" wonders. As you are very risk adverse, please enter that statistic into your risk computation. I am trying not to sugar coat this for you. Certainly your FSUW will not be sugar coating anything. You are galloping toward a cliff and the audience is warning you to stop, but you refuse to listen.

HDL

Clump, Clump.... Clump, Clump...... AHHHHHH!!!%%%$$$$####

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2017, 02:21:39 PM »
Yeah...maybe just give her a pair of Nike shoes and call it a day :deadhorse:

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2017, 02:29:53 PM »

You really are clueless.  This is called a lie.  It also demonstrates that you are missing your cojones.  If you can't own up to the fact you've bought a $20 stone set in $400 of gold when you buy it, you have no business getting married.  Unless your lady is brain dead, she is going to know you lied.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 05:18:06 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Boethius

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2017, 02:49:19 PM »
Boe moved in with her husband quickly and is in a happy marriage, so it can happen. But these forums are littered with the remains of "one-week" wonders. As you are very risk adverse, please enter that statistic into your risk computation. I am trying not to sugar coat this for you.

True, so I would not deny that people can have strong feelings very early.  But I wasn't risk adverse financially, so my risk was just to have my heart stomped.  I know I told Trench he could know that quickly, but I didn't realize his inamorata can't even speak English.  My husband and I had a common language we could speak fluently.  I also knew that no matter what happened, even had I been in a position to raise a child/children alone, I had an extensive family network for emotional, physical, and financial support.

I get the sense that Trench has virtually no experience with women.  He certainly does not understand how women, in general, think.  Plus, he is demonstrating cowardly behaviour unworthy of a man, on top of his cheapness.

I will also state that I married a man who even his mother said was "never a child".  He has never lied to me, neither directly nor by an act of omission.  Neither of my sons would do anything as sleazy as selling a cheap stone as something else by an act of omission, and the younger of them, young enough to be Trench's son and at the official age of stupidity among North American males, is currently in my eyes more of a man than is Trench, who is demonstrating a lack of character.

I don't mean to be rude about this, I wish Trench the best and hope things work out for him, but IMHO lies, when discovered, go to the most fundamental aspect of a relationship, trust.  No trust, nothing else matters.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:28:52 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Boethius

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2017, 02:55:58 PM »

I saw no difference.

How about an analogy?

He could also buy a manufactured diamond - real thing, but less costly because it wasn't created by nature.

The issue is not with the stone if she chooses it. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 03:52:42 PM by Boethius »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1948
Total: 1959

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM