It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: More Bad News for Russia  (Read 1085596 times)

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1600 on: January 12, 2015, 09:34:56 AM »
Will a recession if not depression in Russia change anything? 

The USSR collapsed for many reasons, yet perhaps the leading reason was the bad economy.  Before drawing parallels, the Soviet economy had been in a downturn for years and years before the USSR collapsed.  The current Russian downturn is just starting after years and years of growth.  Further, Putin has predicted a recovery in two years. 

A recession/depression will hurt the ordinary citizen, some of whom are relatives of RWD members.  If such happened in the US, the next election would "kick the bums out."   I have little faith that the Russian election process could do the same.   Even in a bad economy well entrenched dictators stay in power (e. g., Cuba).

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1601 on: January 12, 2015, 09:45:07 AM »
Elections prevent violent change of power.  Without elections, violent change of power is imminent.

Offline jone

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1602 on: January 12, 2015, 10:17:42 AM »
Elections prevent violent change of power.  Without elections, violent change of power is imminent.

Good observation, LT.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Gator

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1603 on: January 12, 2015, 10:25:32 AM »

Putin first became President without being elected. 

Even when there were elections, Yeltsin was reelected after a long period of economic downturn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Yeltsin#mediaviewer/File:Russian_economy_since_fall_of_Soviet_Union.PNG

Yeltsin managed to stay in power even through the 1998 Russian default (when the ruble went from 5 to 21 per dollar).   The position of Prime Minister changed five times in 18 months until Putin was named.  Even though the economy grew in 1999,  Yeltsin resigned on December 31, 1999, and Putin named successor.  Yeltsin was never as well entrenched as Putin is today, which comes back to my point - will the economic downturn change anything?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:29:31 AM by Gator »

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1604 on: January 12, 2015, 11:46:22 AM »
Yeltsin was never as well entrenched as Putin is today, which comes back to my point - will the economic downturn change anything?

Listening to the sentiments of Belvis and Doll I would say that is highly unlikely for at least a few years.  Russians seem to expect economic hard times and unless it continues to get much worse change will not happen.

Offline Muzh

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1605 on: January 12, 2015, 01:45:37 PM »
Is it the end of Putin's Novorossia fantasy?  It seems that Russian special forces have been either eliminating certain separatists (Batman) or forcing them to surrender.  This makes one wonder if the Russians are cleaning it up before notifying Ukraine that they are withdrawing, or simply putting the entire area firmly under Russian control prior to a complete invasion.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/11/is-this-the-end-of-putin-s-new-russia-fantasy.html

This has been discussed ad nauseaum somewhere else.

The Russians want to join the two "independent" republics and have one Russian puppet in charge of destabilizing Ukraine. Everywhere else known as a Frozen Conflict.

In order to achieve that, the Russians have to eliminate the warlords in Lughansk and Donetsk before they set up their little kingdoms. See: Chechnya.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline Muzh

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1606 on: January 12, 2015, 01:47:21 PM »

Yes, Putler will start the invasion.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline JayH

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1607 on: January 12, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »

The USSR collapsed for many reasons, yet perhaps the leading reason was the bad economy.  Before drawing parallels, the Soviet economy had been in a downturn for years and years before the USSR collapsed.  The current Russian downturn is just starting after years and years of growth.  Further, Putin has predicted a recovery in two years. 

A recession/depression will hurt the ordinary citizen, some of whom are relatives of RWD members.  If such happened in the US, the next election would "kick the bums out."   I have little faith that the Russian election process could do the same.   Even in a bad economy well entrenched dictators stay in power (e. g., Cuba).

Gator--the relative prosperity of recent times is exactly the reason why Russians will react to the downturn much faster than in the past--now they are losing or without something they want!
Even if the sanctions were pulled today completely-- it would not save the Russian economies immediate fate.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1608 on: January 12, 2015, 02:55:25 PM »
Gator--the relative prosperity of recent times is exactly the reason why Russians will react to the downturn much faster than in the past--now they are losing or without something they want!
Even if the sanctions were pulled today completely-- it would not save the Russian economies immediate fate.

Sort of my thinking also.  After having a generation of relative freedom and prospering, how will Russians react to the old Soviet clampdowns and failing economy.  I would think it would be quicker than earlier.

Perhaps we should watch the women to see how they react.  Some might not like using beets for lipstick.     ;)
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Chicagoguy

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1609 on: January 12, 2015, 04:08:11 PM »
My wife is older and has been through these downturns before. She believes Russians are tough and can handle it. But my thinking is latest upturn will be be remembered and downturn difficult to handle. Can they go from their BMW back to the Lada ?

Offline BillyB

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1610 on: January 12, 2015, 04:36:52 PM »
Can they go from their BMW back to the Lada ?

Probably not so they'd be willing to support Putin on marching to Germany to steal those BMWs and Mercedes. I see the Russian people blaming their economic hardships on the West before they'd blame Putin. Remember who the Germans backed and blamed when they endured economic hardships due to having to pay war reparations after WW1? The result, WW2 and most people then, like today, thought world war wouldn't happen.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:38:45 PM by BillyB »
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1611 on: January 12, 2015, 05:12:18 PM »
So in your estimation, the Russians want to fight a conventional war against Germany and the West?  Is that what you believe?  Why?  And why not just nuke the West?

Offline Doll

• Trips: No Selection
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1612 on: January 12, 2015, 05:40:19 PM »
So in your estimation, the Russians want to fight a conventional war against Germany and the West?  Is that what you believe?  Why?  And why not just nuke the West?
are you serious?

Offline Doll

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1613 on: January 12, 2015, 05:48:05 PM »
I just want this horrible "conflict" to end! Doesn't matter how.

Offline sleepycat

• Trips: 4 - 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1614 on: January 12, 2015, 06:05:19 PM »

Getting sick of the economic ruin and worthless currency already?
Good place to start will be for that midget mongoloid president of yours to kneel on broken glass to repent for his transgressions... :applause:

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1615 on: January 12, 2015, 06:10:56 PM »

Are you gonna nuke us?

Offline Doll

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1616 on: January 12, 2015, 06:15:51 PM »
Are you gonna nuke us?
Me? I am in the US

Offline BillyB

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1617 on: January 12, 2015, 06:20:13 PM »
So in your estimation, the Russians want to fight a conventional war against Germany and the West? 

No, I don't believe Russia wants to fight a war against the west but war is possible because of a few reasons beyond even Putin's control. Putin may feel he would lose a world war but there's little chance he'd lose his country due to Russia's nuclear ability so we'd pause before going to Moscow but Putin does have a desire to hurt those who are hurting Russia and a war will disrupt lives in the West much more than it'll disrupt lives in Russia so in his estimation, the West will not win a war either but merely gain back the territories Russia will initially take.

A second reason is because NATO's Article 5 exists. If Ukraine is under assault, Poland and the Baltics may give Ukraine military assistance and there is an increased chance Russian soldiers will attack soldiers from a NATO alliance member. NATO isn't obligated to help Ukraine but ff that happens everybody becomes obligated to get involved to help Poland or a Baltic nation. Then everybody will be scratching their heads on how we got dragged into a war with Russia based on a conflict in Ukraine. History shows small skirmishes can start world wars and when a nation declares war on another, their friends usually follow with declarations of war.

I don't think Putin is scared of Article 5 because the language is weak. Not as weak as the Budapest Memorandum but it is weak. Below are some passages I posted in bold from the link below and notice that NATO members don't have to provide military assistance to those being attacked? They are obligated to help but the help may come in the form of food and bandages. Each NATO member is to determine on their own how much they want to help.

Let's say Putin invades Estonia because they helped Ukraine. Do you really believe Western nations would risk total world war over this little nation? After seeing the West's reactions to various crisis around the world, I believe the rest of the NATO members would ask Russia to talk it over at a negotiating table before risking their blood, their economies and future over little Estonia. It is certain NATO members won't immediately jump into a fight with Russia over Estonia but if they do enter into a fight, they will drag their feet before they begin a rescue mission.

Article 5 is at the basis of a fundamental principle of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation. It provides that if a NATO Ally is the victim of an armed attack, each and every other member of the Alliance will consider this act of violence as an armed attack against all members and will take the actions it deems necessary to assist the Ally attacked. Let's hope Poland and Baltics don't accidently get into any skirmishes with Russia.

Allies can provide any form of assistance they deem necessary to respond to the situation. This assistance is not necessarily military and depends on the material resources of each country. When and if sh!t hits the fan, we will see what everyone is made of and if they got each others back. I'm sure Putin has factored in the possibility that NATO will crack if he shows enough strength and the ability inflict serious pain.

http://www.nato.int/terrorism/five.htm
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Doll

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1618 on: January 12, 2015, 06:32:45 PM »
the West will not win a war either but merely gain back the territories Russia will initially take.
Russia will NOT fight.

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1619 on: January 12, 2015, 06:36:03 PM »
We have military personnel in the Baltics.  So if the Mongolian horde comes over the border, what will US forces do?  Abstain?

Will Obama go to war for Estonia?  No.  But our troops are already there.

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1620 on: January 12, 2015, 08:12:20 PM »

No, I don't believe Russia wants to fight a war against the west but war is possible because of a few reasons beyond even Putin's control. Putin may feel he would lose a world war but there's little chance he'd lose his country due to Russia's nuclear ability so we'd pause before going to Moscow

If NATO invades Russia, he has 1500 nukes.  What cities will he wipe out? 

but Putin does have a desire to hurt those who are hurting Russia and a war will disrupt lives in the West much more than it'll disrupt lives in Russia so in his estimation, the West will not win a war either but merely gain back the territories Russia will initially take.

This makes no sense . . .

Bottom line up front, the Russian President can't just shoot unarmed soldiers in the back as they charge like World War II.  I suppose he could do like Saddam in the first Iraq War and cut the Achilles heels of his conscripts to keep them from running away, but like I said, over and over and over again, YOU HAVE TO PAY THE JOES - the Russian government budget is based on oil production and the Saudis are keeping oil low in part to hurt Russia's proxies in the middle east but also to hurt Texas muther frackers.  Either way unless  Russia's proxies use nukes, we aren't going to see $ 80 oil for another 20 years maybe not in our lifetime.

When a country looses a war, like the US did in Vietnam and sort of lost in Iraq, the order that existed antebellum collapses especially in Russia, see Russo-Japanese War.  Russia had its high water mark right before the Odessans burned those people in the trade union building, since then it has been down hill.  Russia had its chance to blitzkrieg the country after Yanukovych left the country.  That train has long left the station.

I agree with Jay H's predictions that Russia will implode and see a civil war.  An invasion of the Baltics will go about as well as the Polish-Soviet War.  It will be a rout.  Reverses and a Ukrainian invasion and occupation of Moscow will provoke unrest within Russia.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1621 on: January 12, 2015, 10:46:09 PM »
Getting sick of the economic ruin and worthless currency already?
Good place to start will be for that midget mongoloid president of yours to kneel on broken glass to repent for his transgressions... :applause:

Um...she might be Russian by birth, but she's a US citizen, living in the USA, so you really shouldn't insult Mr Obama like that!  :o

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1622 on: January 12, 2015, 10:53:15 PM »

#fail.

Obama is tall.

Offline BillyB

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1623 on: January 12, 2015, 11:25:53 PM »
Russia will NOT fight.

Ukraine and Eastern Europe should be relieved to hear that. They should take a chill pill knowing Russians aren't aggressive. Putin did admit to sending armed soldiers to Crimea. What was their purpose?

We have military personnel in the Baltics.  So if the Mongolian horde comes over the border, what will US forces do?  Abstain?

What did the world do when Putin sent armed troops into Georgia? Oh, I forgot, Russians don't want to fight. We do have an obligation to Baltic nations so we can't abstain totally in event of Russian invasion. Obama may send them MREs(Meals Ready to Eat). He may not be willing to risk a world war over the Baltics. He's a Nobel Peace Prize winner. He has an image to protect.

If NATO invades Russia, he has 1500 nukes.  What cities will he wipe out? 

Tactical nukes are used on approaching armies, not in cities on civilians. Small nuclear yield and does less or no damage to infrastructure.

Offline Gator

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1624 on: January 13, 2015, 06:54:24 AM »

The Russian economy had improved under Putin, but the average Russian saw little of this.  Watch PBS Frontline tonight - they will broadcast a scathing one-hour report on Putin.  One fact - 110 Russians own 35% of the wealth - the most top heavy economy in the world - starting with Putin whose wealth is estimated at $40 billion.

Agree, supposedly the sanctions account for only 25% of the problematic economy.  Declining oil prices are the primary culprit.  Until they return to higher levels, the economy will be weak.  BTW, Putin says the price of oil will increase and the economy will recover in two years.  Frankly, I don't believe the price of oil will return to $100/bbl in the next 10 years.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541432
Total Topics: 20863
Most Online Today: 2422
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 1959
Total: 1967

+-Recent Posts

International travel by 2tallbill
Today at 02:39:39 PM

Re: Does it ever feel strange to visit a place where you were with a previous girl? by ML
Today at 02:16:29 PM

Does it ever feel strange to visit a place where you were with a previous girl? by Trenchcoat
Today at 11:21:59 AM

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by Trenchcoat
Today at 08:13:26 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by Trenchcoat
Today at 08:03:37 AM

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by krimster2
Today at 08:03:06 AM

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by ML
Today at 05:45:25 AM

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 11:54:55 PM

Re: Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by Trenchcoat