It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My forthcoming trip to Kiev in December 2015  (Read 16389 times)

Offline GatoMoon

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
My forthcoming trip to Kiev in December 2015
« on: November 23, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »
As you know that I made a recent posting about planning to go to Kiev this December.   Well, as of last week, I've already made a reservation.   I will be flying out on Friday, the 4th of December at 12.50 pm London Gatwick to arrive Kiev Borispol at 17.40pm.  I will be staying for 4 nights, and will fly back on Tuesday morning.  It will be my 1st Ukraine trip for 7 or 8 years after been to Colombia 8 times since!!!

Anyway, the lady whom I am going to meet, already welcome me to her apartment in Central Kiev.

To cut the story short, my biggest fear is that I will get stood up at the airport.   So far, I have been 100% success rate with my predictions with total of 9 different women (including 2 of them as 'friends').  8 of them have met me at the airport while 1 didn't.  The one that didn't, I already had predict she wouldn't meet me and therefore I asked my good friends to meet me instead, and turned out that I was right!  My gut feeling says that she will not be at the airport !!!  I hope I'm wrong this time!!!!  I really do!   

Reason for my gut feeling:  She didn't even ask me for flight details when I told her that I booked the flight.  I had to give her at the end of our chat.  Yesterday she thought I fly out on the 14th!  Not paying attention to my details ???    Like I said, I hope I am wrong, but I need to be extra careful in case I'm right!

1)  Should I book an hotel for a night just in case?   Will they charged me even if I am not there?
2)  What would your Plan B be if you were in my shoes?   3 full days (Saturday, Sunday, Monday)
3)  Should I take the trip elsewhere instead, for example Odessa?

Anything I should do?

Offline Noch1

Re: My forthcoming trip to Kiev in December 2015
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 02:35:18 PM »
My question is, why book a flight to see someone, if this is what you think to begin with? You should have no problem getting a hotel, even last minute, just do a little checking on where and how much. Last minute jump on Mamba
and look for those on line, set up a premium account, be very honest in what you are searching for, you might get a couple of quick dates.
Otherwise, enjoy the city :)
Common sense, Is not so common!

Offline ML

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 03:11:37 PM »
And we wonder why the FSU folks think Western people are stupid.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 03:32:53 PM »
As you know that I made a recent posting about planning to go to Kiev this December.   Well, as of last week, I've already made a reservation.   I will be flying out on Friday, the 4th of December at 12.50 pm London Gatwick to arrive Kiev Borispol at 17.40pm.  I will be staying for 4 nights, and will fly back on Tuesday morning.  It will be my 1st Ukraine trip for 7 or 8 years after been to Colombia 8 times since!!!

Anyway, the lady whom I am going to meet, already welcome me to her apartment in Central Kiev.

To cut the story short, my biggest fear is that I will get stood up at the airport.   So far, I have been 100% success rate with my predictions with total of 9 different women (including 2 of them as 'friends').  8 of them have met me at the airport while 1 didn't.  The one that didn't, I already had predict she wouldn't meet me and therefore I asked my good friends to meet me instead, and turned out that I was right!  My gut feeling says that she will not be at the airport !!!  I hope I'm wrong this time!!!!  I really do!   

Reason for my gut feeling:  She didn't even ask me for flight details when I told her that I booked the flight.  I had to give her at the end of our chat.  Yesterday she thought I fly out on the 14th!  Not paying attention to my details ???    Like I said, I hope I am wrong, but I need to be extra careful in case I'm right!

1)  Should I book an hotel for a night just in case?   Will they charged me even if I am not there?
2)  What would your Plan B be if you were in my shoes?   3 full days (Saturday, Sunday, Monday)
3)  Should I take the trip elsewhere instead, for example Odessa?

Anything I should do?

I'm from the USA, I definitely wouldn't agree to meet a girl who seemed flaky.
If your spidey senses are tingling then I would engage the girl more and ask
her all sorts of questions about your first day together. Pin her down on stuff
like how she will get to the airport, what she will be wearing, where can you
exchange a few dollars etc. If she continues to be vague then dump her.

I am an apartment guy and I almost always make my own arrangements for
a first meeting. The last thing I would want to be stuck with some girl in a 
Soviet era apartment on a 168 cm lumpy couch that smelled like feet and
covered  with cat hair when we didn't share any mutual chemistry. So I
would rent an apartment and invite her to stay with me.

As for a backup plan if things didn't work out, I would stay in Kiev and use
Mamba.ru

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 03:34:54 PM by 2tallbill »
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline GatoMoon

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 02:32:38 AM »
My question is, why book a flight to see someone, if this is what you think to begin with? You should have no problem getting a hotel, even last minute, just do a little checking on where and how much. Last minute jump on Mamba
and look for those on line, set up a premium account, be very honest in what you are searching for, you might get a couple of quick dates.

I'll have to make an account because I don't have it.   Looked at it after reading your posting! 

Offline GatoMoon

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 02:37:57 AM »
I'm from the USA, I definitely wouldn't agree to meet a girl who seemed flaky.
If your spidey senses are tingling then I would engage the girl more and ask
her all sorts of questions about your first day together. Pin her down on stuff
like how she will get to the airport, what she will be wearing, where can you
exchange a few dollars etc. If she continues to be vague then dump her.

I am an apartment guy and I almost always make my own arrangements for
a first meeting. The last thing I would want to be stuck with some girl in a 
Soviet era apartment on a 168 cm lumpy couch that smelled like feet and
covered  with cat hair when we didn't share any mutual chemistry. So I
would rent an apartment and invite her to stay with me.

As for a backup plan if things didn't work out, I would stay in Kiev and use
Mamba.ru

We already talked about how we spent in these 3 days.  Ice Staking, ten-pin bowling, go-karting, walking in the parks, going to the theatre.   But is she tell me the truth is the real question !!

Like I mentioned in my last posting, I will make an account for Mamba.ru but it will be too soon, won't it?  I take it many of had done it successfully.

I can understand that you are an apartment guy, but I have had stayed at girls's apartments before and had no problems with it.  I get to learn how they live.  It is like travelling round the world on backpack hostels :)

I would stay at an apartment if it is a week or longer, but it will only be 4 nights. 

Offline JayH

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 03:16:00 AM »
And we wonder why the FSU folks think Western people are stupid.

:ROFL:
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline oso

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 06:14:31 AM »
Well if you bomb out try the World Cafe, across from the hospital :)

Offline GatoMoon

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 06:35:55 AM »
Well if you bomb out try the World Cafe, across from the hospital :)

Is that Teatralna / Zoloti vorota  metro area that I looked at map ?

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 02:32:54 PM »
I would stay at an apartment if it is a week or longer, but it will only be 4 nights.

If you are left standing alone in the airport then an apartment is better than
a hotel. Regarding spending the time with her, does she live alone? or with
Mamma? Sometimes (or most times) Mamma rules the roost.

I like my freedom, privacy and independence and an apartment gives me that.
I know plenty of people who don't need as much independence as I do and it's
far easier to hit the ejector seat button if necessary, while staying in your own
apartment. 

FSUW don't do vague

Offline BillyB

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 06:30:59 PM »
Reason for my gut feeling:  She didn't even ask me for flight details when I told her that I booked the flight.  I had to give her at the end of our chat.

What kind of chats do you have? On a computer? Has she ever given you a phone number for you to call anytime? Based on what you say, she's not focused on your arrival so she's not focused on you. You're risking vacation time and a lot of money on this first date. If there's a next time, be more sure of the woman before committing to visit her. I also remember you saying your a one woman at a time kind of guy for life. You are severely limiting your options in the dating game and you will have more failures than success. So far you have failed in choosing this woman. You have doubts and she doesn't seem interested in remembering the day you arrive.

Last minute jump on Mamba

Might? There's no reason for a foreigner in the FSU not to get a date same day with the ladies he talks to on Mamba unless he's too shy to ask for a date, don't know how to talk to women, or was beaten with an ugly stick the day he was born.

Most men who arrive with high hopes and get dumped end up sitting in their hotel room feeling sorry for themselves. Some will even cry.

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 08:26:57 PM »
Is that Teatralna / Zoloti vorota  metro area that I looked at map ?

There are a number of coffee houses and other places due south of Zolotoi Vorota (Golden Gate) near the TEATP (Theater House).
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline zooble

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 01:16:01 AM »
If you are staying at her place I think airport meet is the way to go. I presume she has explicitly said she will be there?

I would give a reminder when you are at your local airport. If no reply/sighting when you land then I would probably get suspicious and would definitely want to get a local sim before you suddenly find it's the middle of the night and most of the kiosks/shops are closed.

I think you are lucky since you are based in the UK and you are not going for a long time. If it blows up you haven't wasted that much money or time.

I think you should at least get the address of 1 or 2 hotels with decent capacity that you might need as a plan B. Even if she does show up... she could want you out of her apartment if things go south.

If it were me and with someone I hadn't met yet, I probably would have booked a hotel for the first night. Meet that night, if things go good, move in to her apartment the next night.

I always found mamba pretty useless. Even with premium it wasn't that great. The boost your profile to the top thing can churn through credits in major FSU cities since so many are doing it yours get bumped right off quickly. While I wrote to a lot, I never met anyone from there. Of course other people's milage may vary. I don't know how old you are or if it's your thing but I'd rather go to a club, if anything to at least pass the time, have a drink and meet some locals.

Offline cc3

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 09:28:40 AM »

I think you should at least get the address of 1 or 2 hotels with decent capacity that you might need as a plan B. Even if she does show up... she could want you out of her apartment if things go south.

If it were me and with someone I hadn't met yet, I probably would have booked a hotel for the first night. Meet that night, if things go good, move in to her apartment the next night.

You should use short term rental apartments, as opposed to hotels, for your plan B. No veteran Ukraine visitor, unless rolling in unwanted cash, uses actual hotels. For one thing, any dates you might have will be reluctant to be seen entering a hotel lobby and accompanying you to your room...they don't want to be seen as prostitutes...apartments are much more private, spacious and much less expensive. I have used the website dobovo.com for finding and booking apartments successfully many times, throughout UA, while courting my wife.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 10:51:51 AM »
If she does stand you up or not show up and you need a hotel at the last minute I would suggest the Hotel Rus.  It is a nice hotel, close enough to walk to the center of town in 10 minutes and is my favorite among the 4 or so hotels I have stayed in in Kiev.  I do agree apartments are a better choice and renting one for 4 nights should not be a problem.  I have done short stays there in apartments. 

You mentioned going to Odessa if things go south.  That is a good choice for being a tourist but for women it is the last place I would go in Ukraine. 

If things would go south there are some agencies in Kiev which would not be my first choice for meeting women but in a pinch might be a good way to salvage the trip. They do have some nice women members and it beats sitting at McDonalds or TGIF alone. 

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 11:06:16 AM »
The Korona Hotel is a very nice Western style hotel very close to the airport. the cost is very reasonable too. They even serve free breakfast and have a shuttle that can pick you up and return you to the airport for a modest fee.
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline ML

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 11:22:12 AM »
it beats sitting at McDonalds or TGIF alone.

Can't even sit at TGIF alone.

They closed up recently . . . Kyiv branch  that is.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 11:55:57 AM »
I always found mamba pretty useless. Even with premium it wasn't that great. The boost your profile to the top thing can churn through credits in major FSU cities since so many are doing it yours get bumped right off quickly. While I wrote to a lot, I never met anyone from there. Of course other people's milage may vary. I don't know how old you are or if it's your thing but I'd rather go to a club, if anything to at least pass the time, have a drink and meet some locals.

It just goes to show that different strategies work for different personalities.

I've met more than 50 but less than a 100 FSUW on Mamba. I did write a gazillion
letters and I would rather do my own dental work than meet girls in a club. Maybe
it's my age, the loud noise, the cigarette smoke, the late hours and the type of girls
that I've met in a club, but I do far better with women who can hear me speak and
that I know how old they are in advance.

My advice is do what works for you, your personality, your situation and your goals.

Udachi!

Bill
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 11:57:58 AM by 2tallbill »
FSUW don't do vague

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 12:26:16 PM »
Can't even sit at TGIF alone.

They closed up recently . . . Kyiv branch  that is.

Well if you can get in then you can sit there very, very alone. Thanks for the update.  It has been a while since I was in Kiev so in the unlikely event I ever make it back there I guess TGIF is off my list.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 02:02:36 PM »
Apartments in Kiev may not be cheaper than hotels any more.  Before I posted the recommendation for the Hotel Rus a few hours ago I did a Google search for it just to be sure it was still in business.  I just went to close out that window and noticed the I had pulled it up on Hotels.com.  When I stayed there I was paying about $ 100.00 a night as compared to $ 60-80 for an apartment.  Just to see what the prices were now, I entered a random date in December and was quoted $ 36.00 a night.  Since that includes a really great free breakfast that is a bargain.

I am guessing all the unrest in Ukraine has slowed up visitors to the city and cause prices to fall. 

Offline jone

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 02:14:11 PM »
And the Grivna to be reduced in value doesn't hurt the cost of a hotel room.  My favorite, the Opera Hotel, is back down to around $100 a night.  It had been up to $300.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline GatoMoon

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 03:32:58 PM »
Apartments in Kiev may not be cheaper than hotels any more.  Before I posted the recommendation for the Hotel Rus a few hours ago I did a Google search for it just to be sure it was still in business.  I just went to close out that window and noticed the I had pulled it up on Hotels.com.  When I stayed there I was paying about $ 100.00 a night as compared to $ 60-80 for an apartment.  Just to see what the prices were now, I entered a random date in December and was quoted $ 36.00 a night.  Since that includes a really great free breakfast that is a bargain.

I am guessing all the unrest in Ukraine has slowed up visitors to the city and cause prices to fall.

When I typed 'Hotel Rus Kiev' prostitutes appear in the search engine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ML

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 04:27:10 PM »
When I typed 'Hotel Rus Kiev' prostitutes appear in the search engine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check to see if one is included in the price of the room.

Or maybe you can chose between a prostitute and the breakfast.

Offline GatoMoon

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 04:47:07 PM »
Check to see if one is included in the price of the room.

Or maybe you can chose between a prostitute and the breakfast.

LOL

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 05:04:50 PM »
I think it is better to book a place for yourself when meeting girl for first time( normally). It certainly taking away some pressures. I do prefer apts to hotels but you can book hotels per night if needed. I liked Ibis in Shevchenko area( walkable to train station). It is cold in Kiev now, so walking around is not ideal. If you like pizza, try il Molino across from Golden gate( other side from entrance to zolati metro)

BTW ML, I walked right by TGIF in September, it was still a restaurant but I could have sworn it was still a TGIF., wasn't paying much attention while dragging the luggage!! 8)
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541284
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2190