It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: travel to vladivostok  (Read 4642 times)

Offline JP5380

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
travel to vladivostok
« on: October 14, 2012, 06:55:44 PM »
Hi folks, looks like I might be going to Vladivostok in December.  Curious what there is to see in this city? Besides the female wildlife and the freezing winter temperatures  :)

Also, how would you suggest I go about obtaining the Russian visa?  Have the woman invite me or go through the hotel I stay at?  I've only traveled in Ukraine- so I'm a little unfamiliar with the Russian visa process for an American.

Thank you very much!

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
Re: travel to vladivostok
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Hope your trip goes well. Sources for visa: http://russianreport.wordpress.com/come-to-russia-get-a-visa/travel-to-russia/

It isn't as difficult as it seems to obtain and register a visa.

Vladivostok: hilly, in some areas quite steep and a thrill to ride the trolley up and down, especially down.

http://vladivostok-city.com/index

http://www.vlc.ru/photo/

Let us know what you think of the new bridge--the longest cable span bridge in the world is being built there. Vladivostok is one of the reasons the Trans-Siberian railway was built. Formerly a part of China, you'll meet both ethnic Russians and some Asian folk too. This was a closed city during the Cold War, even Russians couldn't enter/exit without permits.

Not that it's a danger anymore but a couple of years ago during the annual Victory Day parade on 9 May a group of warships were parading into the harbour and as is customary, periodically fired blank rounds as a salute. Well, one of the ships had forgotten to exchange live ammo for blanks and the Russian Navy had a really great victory that day--defeating an apartment building on a hillside that just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Fortunately because of the festivities and the parades, few people were home and nobody was killed. Then President Medvedev rushed out for a couple of days to chew some butt and deliver some demotions but other than that, everyone survived the ordeal.

Vladivostok holds the distinction of being the last major city to surrender to the Bolsheviks, effectively ending the Russian Civil War in 1922, not long after the Red Army had kicked the Western powers (USA-Canada-Britain) out of Northern Russia earlier that year. Lenin consolidated his power at that point although smaller skirmishes continued, especially in Ukraine, into the 1930s. Stalin made them pay for that, and for their resistance to collective farming, by the famine that killed millions.

US President Gerald Ford and Soviet Leader Leonid Brezhnev held SALT talks there in 1974. If you have an "extra" 7 days take the Trans-Siberian from Moscow to Vladivostok and really see the country in depth.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:43:46 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline acrzybear

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 01:14:40 AM »
Hope you're not staying at the hotel Vladivostok, That was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at.  It was THE hotel 30+ years ago, but has been seriously neglected over the years.
Necessitas dat ingenium

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 02:59:25 AM »
Hi folks, looks like I might be going to Vladivostok in December.  Curious what there is to see in this city? Besides the female wildlife and the freezing winter temperatures  :)

Unless you're sure to get engaged/married, don't go!  Leave it until the spring, when you can be sure that everything, everywhere, is in good working order.  8)

Also, how would you suggest I go about obtaining the Russian visa?  Have the woman invite me or go through the hotel I stay at?  I've only traveled in Ukraine- so I'm a little unfamiliar with the Russian visa process for an American.

Thank you very much!

The Russian visa process is much the same for every country.  Assuming that you'll be there for less than a month, get an ordinary tourist visa.  If you're expecting/hoping to go more than once, over an extended period, try for one of the new three-year visas.  I agree with mendeleyev - it's not difficult.  Even Faux Pas will agree with this one.  Whatever you do, just make sure that you comply exactly with the terms and conditions laid down - you won't believe how much of a mess you will be in if you overstay.

Offline CDW

• Opted-Out
  • Spouse's Country: Other Eastern Europe
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 04:45:49 AM »
If I ever want to go to Vladivostok, I will be on Trans-Siberian railway from Moscow.  I believe it is a 11 days trip.  It is once in a lifetime experience - put it in your BUCKET'S LIST

I am an X-MEN called "WOVO Man"

Offline whynotme

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 05:37:14 AM »
Trans-Siberian in December?  :ROFL: indeed it'll take about 6 days from Moscow depending on train - damn long and boring.
Well, it's not the best season to visit place where I live  - too cold and windy.
As for visas... not every woman will agree to make private invitation cuz it means visiting OVIR and some efforts for that, better use hotel u'll plan to stay.
If link to another forum would not be a crime here - http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=9930.30 - I post there a lot

Feel free to ask any questions

Offline Muzh

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 07:44:18 AM »
Hope you're not staying at the hotel Vladivostok, That was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at.  It was THE hotel 30+ years ago, but has been seriously neglected over the years.

Hi Bear. How's Germany treating you?
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline acrzybear

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 08:03:37 AM »
Wunderbar!!! :D
Necessitas dat ingenium

Offline Muzh

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 08:06:56 AM »
Glad to hear.  :clapping:
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline JP5380

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 08:48:01 AM »
Thanks everyone for the posts, and mendeleyev's short history lesson was nice  :)  @ whynotme - thank you for the link to your posts. I will take a look at them. 

Yes, I've read about the trans-siberian.  Sounds like quite a journey.  No time for that now, but what a journey that would be !!   

Offline Muckraker

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 04:25:42 PM »
I have a trip report on Vladivostok in the Trip Reports section with a lot of info on the city.  My love story actually.

I posted a link somewhere on the site with a Google maps style walking tour as well.

Muck

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541475
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 3726