It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Schedule of new fees  (Read 52514 times)

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Schedule of new fees
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 09:21:54 AM »
I was shocked when seeing this.

The old I129f fee was $170.  Now it is $455.   

The fee is $340.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

It was $95 [back in 1999 when I applied for my wife].
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline GenMish

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 07:07:13 AM »

The fee is $340.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

It was $95 [back in 1999 when I applied for my wife].

If I remember in 1994 I paid only $60 or $50,  something so small I didn't bat an eyelash. Now according to that link its $535

MOB inflation

Boe linked an article to K1 visas on another thread, and the forecasted numbers for next year were close to half what the numbers were just a few years ago. So its not just success in weeding out fake applicants, the fee increases shows an intentional attempt to lower the number.

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 07:26:50 AM »
If I remember in 1994 I paid only $60 or $50,  something so small I didn't bat an eyelash. Now according to that link its $535

MOB inflation

Boe linked an article to K1 visas on another thread, and the forecasted numbers for next year were close to half what the numbers were just a few years ago. So its not just success in weeding out fake applicants, the fee increases shows an intentional attempt to lower the number.

It's more accurate to say dept of homeland security inflation, which didn't exist in the 90's.

Also, the K1 visa is fully fee funded, which makes expensive but had an advantage in that it was not shut down when the gov was shut down in Dec/Jan.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2019, 04:52:24 PM »
 Inflation has little to do with it at this point-- they name the price...we pay it :cluebat:
As of early 2019, the filing fees for the K-1 process were $535 for Form I-129F (filed with USCIS), $265 to apply for the K visa (paid to the consulate), and $1,225 for Form I-485 and the adjustment of status packet (filed with USCIS), including the biometrics fee.
How long does it take to get a K1 Fiance visa? In 2018 most cases typically take 7 to 9 months on average from the time USCIS receives the I-129F fiance visa application until the K-1 visa is embossed onto the foreign fiancee's passport.Dec 4, 2017
[google]

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline DaveNY

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2019, 05:06:40 PM »
Inflation has little to do with it at this point-- they name the price...we pay it :cluebat:  [google]

Because I have a Russian wife and I'm a lawyer I'm asked about the permanent residence and naturalization process, costs, timeframe, etc. all the time.

The simple facts are the process is not going to get cheaper in the future nor is the processing time likely to get shorter. If the paperwork is too much there are numerous nonprofit organizations that will help for little or no costs.

I always recommend an immigrant get citizenship over permanent residence. It is far harder to deport a naturalized American than a permanent resident. There are a seemingly endless number of stories of a PR living in the US for decades and then being deported for DUIs or assaults and other minor legal troubles. These acts might cost a naturalized American some costs for fines and maybe some jail time but they wouldn't be stripped of citizenship and deported.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:33:54 PM by DaveNY »

Offline ML

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2019, 07:31:47 PM »
I think it is fair that we who need the service (immigration, permanent residence status, citizenship) for our spouse/family pay for the  full cost of obtaining.

What is unfair is that, after the payments, the delays are unreasonable AND the procedures and life duration of some of the documents are totally illogical causing much anguish for us.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline GenMish

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2019, 09:03:05 AM »
Because I have a Russian wife and I'm a lawyer I'm asked about the permanent residence and naturalization process, costs, timeframe, etc. all the time.

The simple facts are the process is not going to get cheaper in the future nor is the processing time likely to get shorter. If the paperwork is too much there are numerous nonprofit organizations that will help for little or no costs.

I always recommend an immigrant get citizenship over permanent residence. It is far harder to deport a naturalized American than a permanent resident. There are a seemingly endless number of stories of a PR living in the US for decades and then being deported for DUIs or assaults and other minor legal troubles. These acts might cost a naturalized American some costs for fines and maybe some jail time but they wouldn't be stripped of citizenship and deported.

LOL, I dunno, sounds like a fair system to me
Who wants to keep a wife that is getting DUIs and is racking up enough assaults and other crimes to be deported?

Seriously though, I think the higher fees are so odd. Doesn't the system want to encourage K1 visas with lower fees? The marginal income entrants are going to go to work as soon as they can. That's tax revenue on a Tax ID number that the state didn't have to spend 12 years educating. It will make up for all the revenue lost on the high end. I think just the 1st year alone, I saved 18k filing jointly versus filing as a single tax payer

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2019, 09:35:07 AM »

Seriously though, I think the higher fees are so odd. Doesn't the system want to encourage K1 visas with lower fees?

It's my understanding that for at least the last couple of decades the government decided the cost of various visas should be paid for by those who use them.

The marginal income entrants are going to go to work as soon as they can.

Many do start working as soon as possible. Some don't. If a new immigrant legal or illegal doesn't have friends or family in the area, doesn't speak any of the local languages, doesn't know how to look for work or have a needed skill set getting a job can be difficult even in times of low unemployment.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541011
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1909
Total: 1920

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Today at 09:47:10 AM