It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Motives driving immigration  (Read 4941 times)

Offline Omega82

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Motives driving immigration
« on: January 29, 2019, 01:46:26 AM »
In our country, the USA, the pilgrims arrived in 1620 seeking religious freedom.  We have welcomed people escaping totalitarian regimes, people escaping war zones, hunger, poverty, etc.  Then after certain communities have been established there have been people that have arrived to reunite with relatives.  Some people also come for love and marriage. 

So I ask myself what about people that don't fall under these categories? 

Example 1.  A Russian woman from Moscow.  good job, owns a good apartment.  has no relatives or friends in the us and wants to come and stay here permanently.  will not have papers and therefore cannot find a good job.  wants to be in nyc and lax yet these are very expensive cities.  what would motivate this woman to leave her career, apartment, comfortable life to live in a foreign country without papers?  When I asked her she said its the good weather and the people.  NYC doesn't exactly have good weather and there are good people everywhere in the world.  After I said this there was no response. 

Example 2.  A Belarusian woman from Minsk.  Leaves behind her university classes (age 21), her boyfriend of many years (first love), parents live comfortably own a house and an apartment.  Fast forward, has been in the US five years on the same student visa which she claims she has renewed.  No stable job, still has not graduated from university, no husband or boyfriend according to her, no disposable income according to her.  Has not been able to see her parents or family in five years. 

So what's the motivation here?  Am I missing something? 

Offline DCcowboy

Re: Motives driving immigration
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 03:15:37 AM »
My RW falls into example one with the exception of being divorced. I asked her and she said she was unable to find someone she wants to spend the rest of her life with. So possibly RM, not sure, I have known several RM and besides being ridiculously smart I was honored to call them friend's. Could also be grass in greener on other side or land of fruit and honey syndrome.

Offline msmob

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 03:48:27 AM »
In our country, the USA, the pilgrims arrived in 1620 seeking religious freedom. 

Hmm, 'religious freedom' ?  From who the English Protestants  ( Church of England)  ;) ?

About a third of the passengers on the Mayflower were such 'Puritans' - a misnomer - if ever there was  and many kids lifted from the streets

At least the Jamestown folk were ostensibly secular ..but in time forays into the wilderness brought about the 'Manifest Destiny'...?  = remove the native Indians if they don't 'accept our ways'

Just like the 1600s there are many a varied  reasons why folks seek to leave their native lands - not always altruistic

It's up to you to figure out if you're a stepping stone or someone to share life together ?

Offline GenMish

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 09:31:35 AM »
In our country, the USA, the pilgrims arrived in 1620 seeking religious freedom.  We have welcomed people escaping totalitarian regimes, people escaping war zones, hunger, poverty, etc.  Then after certain communities have been established there have been people that have arrived to reunite with relatives.  Some people also come for love and marriage. 

Example 1.  A Russian woman from Moscow.  good job, owns a good apartment.  has no relatives or friends in the us and wants to come and stay here permanently.  will not have papers and therefore cannot find a good job.  wants to be in nyc and lax yet these are very expensive cities.  what would motivate this woman to leave her career, apartment, comfortable life to live in a foreign country without papers?  When I asked her she said its the good weather and the people.  NYC doesn't exactly have good weather and there are good people everywhere in the world.  After I said this there was no response. 

Example 2.  A Belarusian woman from Minsk.  Leaves behind her university classes (age 21), her boyfriend of many years (first love), parents live comfortably own a house and an apartment.  Fast forward, has been in the US five years on the same student visa which she claims she has renewed.  No stable job, still has not graduated from university, no husband or boyfriend according to her, no disposable income according to her.  Has not been able to see her parents or family in five years. 

For #1
Even hard working Russians want to leave because the Russian economy is so unpredictable. She works hard only to see the Ruble drop and her earnings and possibly savings diminish.  Meanwhile people with equal skills in western countries, can save for a comfortable retirement. She can probably get a good price for her apartment now, and might think finding love with a nice man overseas is a viable option

For #2
She is in the States, you can meet her at little cost. BUT, would be very wary of her
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:34:12 AM by GenMish »

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 09:51:39 AM »

There's a lot of romanticism about living in the US. Many people from around the world think the US is a destination that will allow them to succeed, be free, have a better education, find a fulfilling career, find a great love, etc.

Also many here tend to think everyone wants to come to the US. This is certainly true for those living south of the border however if we're talking Russia and citizens from the FSU you'll find there are far more of those living in Germany than in the US. Germany is an obvious choice since it has a dynamic and powerful economy and is a short plane ride away. Plus with many in Russia and the rest of the FSU it has a much better reputation with Russia people than the US.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 11:22:42 AM »
Germany is an obvious choice since it has a dynamic and powerful economy and is a short plane ride away. Plus with many in Russia and the rest of the FSU it has a much better reputation with Russia people than the US.

Probably because Germans treated FSU folks much better in WWII than did USA folks.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmob

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 01:12:51 AM »
Our Dave ' forgets that many Russians ( of German lineage)  were given DE passports by Chancellor  Kohl ..

This made Germany a popular place for Russians to settle

Offline BdHvA

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 01:41:11 AM »
Those who (re) settled in Germany coming from The Soviet Union and latter Russia were limited to so-called Volga Germans. They came to Russia during the time of Catherine the Great with guarantees that were taken away by Stalin & Lenin.

Another group primarily Mennonite immigrated to the United Stats's via Russia at the end of the 19th century.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 01:44:19 AM by BdHvA »
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline Omega82

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 04:20:13 AM »
Does anyone here know of any young Russian living in the US for five years without papers?  Would this be something common?  This obviously limits your employment opportunities.  And is it realistic for a young and attractive Russian woman to be living in new York for example for five years and remain single? 

Most of the Russians Ive come across and heard of here in America have papers and are well educated and have careers. 

Offline msmob

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 05:40:40 PM »
Does anyone here know of any young Russian living in the US for five years without papers? 

Yup....

Offline ML

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 09:50:04 AM »
Does anyone here know of any young Russian living in the US for five years without papers?

Most all USA cities have newspapers available for reading.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1876
Total: 1887

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM