It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: FOR HISTORY BUFFS  (Read 118087 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: FOR HISTORY BUFFS
« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2020, 10:27:42 PM »
As to getting the pieces to the top of the pyramid?   They floated them up.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #226 on: January 18, 2020, 07:28:50 AM »
The largest pyramid was originally covered in a layer of highly polished white limestone. Those stones were removed by later rulers and used to build other edifices.
Its top seems to have retained some:

Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #227 on: February 07, 2020, 12:48:01 PM »
THE BIBLE

A few days ago I realised that my recollections of the Old Testament had become rather dim, so I decided to refresh them by re-reading most of it - using King James's Authorized Version.

This prompted me to produce some commentary, which became rather long consisting of:

- An explanation of the structure and content of the Torah and Talmud.
- Relevant quotes from the Old Testament.
- A chronological table of Israel-related events.
- My final personal conclusions on the subject.

I considered its length unsuitable for this thread, so I made it a page on my website, which can be read by those interested at www.floriani.it/Bible-eng.htm.

Comments by knowledgeable scholars are welcome :D.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #228 on: February 07, 2020, 02:17:41 PM »
Sandro, thanks for this work and for making it available to the unwashed masses here.

I skimmed over it and would like to read in more detail; but doubt I will ever get to it.

But I appreciate your scholarly bent.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #229 on: February 07, 2020, 04:32:33 PM »
Sandro, thanks for this work and for making it available to the unwashed masses here.
The lazy bums could always have a swim in the Sea of Galilee or the Jordan, or float in the Dead Sea :D.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 04:35:01 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline jone

« Reply #230 on: February 07, 2020, 04:34:02 PM »
 :popcorn:
The lazy bums could always have a swim in the Sea of Galilee or the Jordan, or float in the Dead Sea :D.

I've done all three.   St. Peter's fish are the bomb!
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #231 on: February 07, 2020, 04:44:13 PM »
St. Peter's fish are the bomb!
Interestingly, the Tilapia were known since Egyptian times:
The aquaculture of Nile tilapia goes back to Ancient Egypt. A symbol of rebirth in Egyptian art, associated with Hathor. It was also said to accompany and protect the sun god on his daily journey across the sky
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilapia).

A tilapia hieroglyph just above the head of the central figure
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline msmob

« Reply #232 on: February 15, 2020, 01:55:05 AM »
Sandro

Thanks for sharing and re-educating - I'd forgotten most of my enforced Sunday mornings at 'Sunday School' in the 60's ..

I agree with your conclusions. I was informed by an elderly Canon, during preparation for my undertaking confirmation vows that I was a closet heretic ..

I have seen that view of Ararat - it is truly spectacular . The image is from Armenia - from where, sadly, accessing the foothills for a closer view means a 10 hour drive via Georgia

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2020, 09:30:13 AM »
I agree with your conclusions.
A fundamental question remains, however: how faithful the Greek --> Latin --> English translation is to the original Hebrew/Aramaic text :-\?

Rabbis and scholars have debated it for centuries, and still do.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline ML

« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2020, 11:19:11 AM »
Interestingly, the Tilapia were known since Egyptian times:(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilapia).

I can't eat Tilapia or anything that tastes like fish !!

Wife can though, so she eats the cheaper Tilapia and prepares for me the more expensive Haddock.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #235 on: February 15, 2020, 12:13:00 PM »
But you seem to like haddock, or is it just a laudable spousal sacrifice to please your wife :D?

Milan's "Duomo"

Offline jone

« Reply #236 on: February 15, 2020, 12:14:49 PM »
I don't remember the type of fish I was served when I was on the Sea of Galilee.  But it seemed to me like it was a pretty good white fish.   I've had Tilapia and never much cared for it.   

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #237 on: February 15, 2020, 12:25:36 PM »

Wife can though, so she eats the cheaper Tilapia and prepares for me the more expensive Haddock.

Farmed tilapia is actually bad for you

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #238 on: February 15, 2020, 12:37:41 PM »
Farmed tilapia is actually bad for you

I would be interested in knowing why it is bad for me.  We eat it frequently and find it a very mild flavored fish with a nice texture.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline BillyB

« Reply #239 on: February 15, 2020, 12:42:16 PM »
I would be interested in knowing why it is bad for me.  We eat it frequently and find it a very mild flavored fish with a nice texture.

I only like to eat mild flavored fish. My wife can also eat stronger flavored fish and I try to get her to stop buying it.

Farmed tilapia isn't necessary bad for you. Farmed tilapia from China is most likely bad for you. The waters Chinese farm the fish in is not the best. You can find the articles on Google. Might want to ask where the fish was raised before buying it.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline jone

« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2020, 12:43:57 PM »

I remember the Dead Sea to be very briny.   You could feel the salt and other minerals working on your skin while you floated in it.   It was, altogether, an enjoyable experience.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2020, 12:49:14 PM »

It's the way they are raised, "most" farmed fish has little to no value for your body. Tilapia even more so. They cause higher inflammation. The difference in the white fish is more difficult to see with the eye than say red or pink fish such as salmon which is easy to see. I've avoided farm raised fish since the early 2000's when it was brought to my attention. I used to pay it no mind but there is a significant difference even in the taste
http://www.drperlmutter.com/5-reasons-avoid-farm-raised-fish/

Offline BillyB

« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2020, 01:08:52 PM »

Farmed raise salmon loses it's pink color because they aren't feeding them shrimp but cheaper foods. It's normal for farmers to use the cheapest foods to feed their fish. Tilapia naturally eats vegetation which is cheap enough but in China, there have been cases where farmers are feeding them waste products such as animal feces.

I wouldn't even buy my pets food from China.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2020, 01:59:06 PM »
But you seem to like haddock, or is it just a laudable spousal sacrifice to please your wife :D?

For me, the haddock has much less of a fishy taste than the tilapia.
I checked on Internet and found that tilapia is supposed to be one the the milder tasting fishes; so maybe our source is not getting good fish.

I used to like flounder, but when we buy it now, it is too fishy tasting for me.  So again, might just be the source.

As a follow up; Internet also advised of several ways to eliminate (or at least lessen) the fishy taste.  Easiest and most effective way seemed to be soaking fish in milk for 30 minutes.  We will try that.

Wife, as with most FSU folks, really likes fish.

Now, as to all the contaminates mentioned here . . . oh my . . . nothing in life is simple anymore.

Offline jone

« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2020, 02:08:11 PM »
When I was growing up, we used to love getting smoked fish from the Great Lakes.  My grandparents lived in Two Rivers and my great grandmother lived in Manitowoc.  There were some great fish markets.  Can't remember what was smoked, but I can tell you it had a robust flavor and was something to be enjoyed.

Now, I think back to all of the possible carcinogens and other things that were bad for you that went into those fish and I have to wonder what effect it had on those that ate it.

When I lived Mykolaiv, they had smoked everything.  I remember getting smoked chicken.  But it was so full of smoke that I could only eat a little at a time.  Some of the fish, there was smoked.   Having a bad experience with the chicken, I stayed away from the smoked fish.   I did, however, try the boiled fish from Bug river.  It was okay.   Not great.  Lots of little bones in it.

We're spoiled in the US.   If we find bones in any of our fish we think it a terrible thing.  LOL.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #245 on: February 15, 2020, 06:23:54 PM »
Many years ago I was teaching a 5-day course to the personnel of a small bank in Puglie (the heel of Italy). They had no cafeteria, and for lunch we went to a local restaurant where one day I was offered a to me then unknown dish, a branzino al sale, sea bass oven-cooked in salt.

A real delicacy, no salty flavour at all :D. I've had it occasionally ever since.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #246 on: March 19, 2020, 11:35:45 AM »
AN EXPRESSION THAT HAS CHANGED ITS MEANING

According to Matthews Gospel (27, 24), the Roman governor Pontius Pilate, presiding over the trial of Jesus:

"accepta aqua lavit manus coram populo dicens: Innocens ego sum a sanguine huius iusti"
(Accepting water, he washes his hands and says before the people: I am innocent of this just man's blood)

The expression "Washing one's hands" has always meant: "I am not involved, I don't give a damn".

Now it has taken just the opposite meaning ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #247 on: March 22, 2020, 06:01:13 PM »
BE THANKFUL FOR A FREE PRESS

Tonight I had the chance of watching Sam Spielberg's 2017 film The Post, starring Meryl Streep as Katharine Graham, the owner of The Washington Post, and Tom Hanks as its executive editor.

It narrates the disclosure of Robert McNamara's "study for posterity" - the Washington Papers - revealing how EVERY US President, from Truman all the way to Nixon, never told the US people what they thought/knew about Vietnam.

Another well-known movie is Alan J. Pakula's previous 1976 All the President's Men, starring Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford, also reporters of The Washington Post on the Watergate scandal which led to NIxon's resignation.

The Washington Post and The New York Times have often been attacked in the past as liberal, left-wing or even Communist rags :o

I do not know if those newspapers always report THE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH, but I guess they often do so.

IINM, the US Constitution says that Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.

So, be thankful that at least some press sometimes reports NOT what the US President wishes ;).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 06:04:20 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline BillyB

« Reply #248 on: March 22, 2020, 06:17:39 PM »
Another well-known movie is Alan J. Pakula's previous 1976 All the President's Men, starring Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford, also reporters of The Washington Post on the Watergate scandal which led to NIxon's resignation.

Back then they had "reporters" that report. Today they are called "journalists". They write stories for us based on their interpretation of what just happened or what was said. Some people out there actually believe Trump called the coronavirus a "hoax" thanks to our media. Trump never said that. If Trump said "Italy is the China of Europe" pertaining to the coronavirus crisis, journalists would translate that for their readers as "Trump thinks Italy is China!".  Journalists take the truth and twist it to get their readers and viewers to believe Trump is dumb and a liar. The mainstream media tries to affect American elections in ways that make Russia envious. They should stick to reporting the news. Just print exactly what Trump said or show a video of him and the readers and viewers decide for themselves what Trump meant. I don't need a journalist to translate English to English for me.

Offline ML

« Reply #249 on: March 22, 2020, 06:29:15 PM »
I do not know if those newspapers always report THE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH, but I guess they often do so.

So, be thankful that at least some press sometimes reports NOT what the US President wishes ;).

Sandro you are being naive here.  I don't think Donald or any other president is looking for the press to say exactly what they want.

But you perfectly well know that a specific bit of truth can be reported in many ways.
Shade it a bit here and there, change a word of emphasis, etc., etc.
I see it done on a daily basis here.
Donald and his gang have been giving daily briefings which I have been watching.
Then the nightly news report on those briefings.
Often I say WOW . . . they must have been watching an entirely different briefing than I was.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540892
Total Topics: 20846
Most Online Today: 1396
Most Online Ever: 12701