It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Corrupt Traffic Police in Russia  (Read 1759 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Corrupt Traffic Police in Russia
« on: June 05, 2017, 01:23:37 AM »
At a time ( June 2017) when good Policemen are risking their lives to save the public from wack jobs, in the Xhosta region of Greater Sochi, Russia we have a 'hero' stopping SC and advising her she has 'committed' a serious traffic offence' that will probably result in the suspension of her licence' ....

Russian Traffic Police cannot impose on the spot fines...

SC was scared and paid 5000 Roubles ... *80-100 USD)  to make it 'go away' .... not that she thinks she had committed an offence...

I REALLY thought this was a thing of the past and with the World Cup 2018 coming up,  I'd hope this thief will lose his job.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Corrupt Traffic Police in Russia
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 06:03:42 PM »
At a time ( June 2017) when good Policemen are risking their lives to save the public from wack jobs, in the Xhosta region of Greater Sochi, Russia we have a 'hero' stopping SC and advising her she has 'committed' a serious traffic offence' that will probably result in the suspension of her licence' ....

Russian Traffic Police cannot impose on the spot fines...

SC was scared and paid 5000 Roubles ... *80-100 USD)  to make it 'go away' .... not that she thinks she had committed an offence...

I REALLY thought this was a thing of the past and with the World Cup 2018 coming up,  I'd hope this thief will lose his job.

That's pretty bad news, in more ways than one.  When I visited Sochi I actually stayed in Xhosta - and never saw a policeman in the town the whole time I was there!

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 10:26:59 PM »
Interesting post that my comments are to illustrate a point -- corruption is a curse.
That is a huge amount to pay as a bribe -- are you 100% sure of innocence?

I ask in this context  --this was pre Maidan by some years on my first ever day in Ukraine and only an hour into driving.Back then it was common to have intersections manned by police -- even seemingly in the middle of nowhere. This was a 5 way -- wide open -- me facing stop sign in a line of traffic, cop waving his stick ( silly stick!) and with no traffic in sight in any other direction -- car in front proceeds and cop waves stick and points at me -waving to proceed even harder. So-- from being stopped a car length from the imaginary stop point!--i proceeded.
Well -- all hell breaks loose as the other cops across intersection respond to first cops whistle and I am pulled over at exit of intersection!
I had researched traffic and driving issues quite well prior to trip -- and especially Ukrainian  Police ! I have driven in many countries all over the world -- and was familiar with corrupt Police .
So--the shakedown starts -- me denying any understanding of wrongdoing -- and making no attempt to understand  his illustrating  etc. I knew from experience that the key for me was patience--wear him down !
BTW-- they saw  rental car from another region -- and saw an easy  take. So-- now the 2 biggest cops are trying to standover me -me responding politely aggressively !
They tell me we have to go to the station--I say --ok lets go !
Then they get the book out with the fine amount ( his telephone number I think !)  -- so -- I say ok-- write it up.
Repeatedly he had inferred I could pay cash and leave--I kept saying no and shaking my head !
He wanted 500UAH  ( a lot more in $ terms than today ) . Many no no no later -- I said   ok-- and pulled 50  out and held it out.
He looked like he was going to cry ! That was it --after a bit more posturing and book slamming I was waved on my way with my 50 intact. I think he was to embarrassed to go back to his colleagues  with so little to show for an hours haggling!!

That was a strategy  I employed many many times subsequently. I got pulled over multiple times a day,I learnt to look the other way and pretend I had not seen the waving of the silly sticks !  I had numerous chases where my car was to slick. Mostly in earlier times the Police had old Ladas that had no top speed ! Later in the Odessa region they got V6 Passat and running ceased to be a real option-- as they loved an excuse to run flatout  !!

My Ukrainian ex was under strict instructions to speak English if Police spoke to her -- and she mostly complied. She was sure I must be doing something wrong to be talking to Police so often ! One night -- I was minding my own business and Police waved me over out of a line of cars. After doing the usual dance- I went on my way to pick my ex up-- and of course told her what had just happened. 5 minutes later -- we are getting pulled over again --by the same cop !! Some hours later at 4am !-- we were on the way to take her home -- and we get pulled over--again by the same cop !!! Now she did believe me !

By way of contrast -- that was all pre Maidan--  touch wood --it is rare to be singled out now . The only time since the Police reforms were enacted that I had a cop alluding to a solution being possible -- he nearly had an apoplectic fit when I photographed his id !!He could not get rid of me fast enough  !
Of note --if you only pay Police ( or public servants) a $100 a month -- and the culture was to use official position to supplement income-it is hardly a surprise that corruption becomes endemic.Ukraine is fighting hard to change that-- and at one of the most basic levels--I have seen change.

I do not recommend that most people adopt any of this too forcefully with people in authority -- I have many stories of near misses that could have been a disaster very easliy !

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:30:09 PM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmob

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 11:28:54 PM »
Interesting post that my comments are to illustrate a point -- corruption is a curse.
That is a huge amount to pay as a bribe -- are you 100% sure of innocence?

Even if she had 'committed an offence' -  demanding a bribe - to 'make it go away' is the issue.

...I knew from experience that the key for me was patience--wear him down !

That was a strategy  I employed many many times subsequently. I got pulled over multiple times a day,I learnt to look the other way and pretend I had not seen the waving of the silly sticks ! 
My Ukrainian ex was under strict instructions to speak English if Police spoke to her -- and she mostly complied.

I do not recommend that most people adopt any of this too forcefully with people in authority -- I have many stories of near misses that could have been a disaster very easliy !

1/ Unlike UA - the DPS - the traffic police - long lost the right to demand on the spot fines - due to corruption.

2/ I have regaled the story of being 'tapped' in 'Abkhazia' for a bride and also suggest asking one's partner to NOT indicate they understand the Policeman- if the non resident is driving.

3/ Being a LOCAL driver - and having asked for her docs - it was clear this was a local, a tanned lady  driving  nice new car and presumably-  a 'target'.

Two policemen were involved - not 'angry' - just scary and the first amount required ' to make it go away' was 40,000 Roubles - 530 Pounds / just under 700 US dollars ..

SC had a women passenger - who - interrupted 'negotiations' - as SC knows to say - "I have no money" and offered to pay 5,000 - as she was also scared....

It was broad daylight - 28C - so hot and they were in skimpy tops and short skirts / shorts- heading for the beach on a busy highway - but were pilled in on a lay--by.Cars would be passing and just thinking ''glad it wasn't me''

I KNOW SC was scared as she has been stopped by the police, before and is polite and patient - this team were a work of art..

They followed her and she left the highway - doubled back - checked they weren't still following - before parking and calling me. She called on SKYPE and I could immediately tell that she was shaken - which isn't difficult as nothing - normally - phases her.

It is THAT - that annoys me more...

Offline msmob

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 11:55:13 PM »
That's pretty bad news, in more ways than one.  When I visited Sochi I actually stayed in Xhosta - and never saw a policeman in the town the whole time I was there!

Hi, AK! ;)

Where we live in Southern Sochi - when you cross a river - entering Svetlana district - it also becomes Xhosta micro-district. - it extends about 15km

SC was near 'Manchester' - Matsester - north of Xhosto. There are major road-works and the south bound tunnel was closed - involving major and confusing diversions - FIFA - the world football governing body - wanted these repairs finished - before the federation Cup - the trial for the World Cup

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 07:58:03 AM »
Actually a system where bribes are common has its usefulness.
In my lot sectioning, road building, utility extension work on my development . . . it would be a lot more convenient and expeditious to pay some money to move things along.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmob

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 08:01:07 AM »
Actually a system where bribes are common has its usefulness.
In my lot sectioning, road building, utility extension work on my development . . . it would be a lot more convenient and expeditious to pay some money to move things along.

Whilst I 'get' you are being half serious- I posted this as SC was shit scared... and I want the bastards caught ...rocking boats ...

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541271
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2956
Most Online Ever: 12701