It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Need to give up FSU driver's license when getting one in USA?  (Read 15443 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Need to give up FSU driver's license when getting one in USA?
« on: October 15, 2011, 08:34:55 AM »
In USA, when you change state of residence, you are legally supposed to get driver's license in the new state.  And the new state usually requires that you give up your DL from the previous state.  This causes no problems because you can use  any state's DL in any other state.

However, for those from other countries, it is not such a carefree situation.

i.e.  A person would not want to give up their home country DL, because that would cause complications  when they went back to their home country for vacations, etc., and would be best if they still had the local DL for that country.  Sure, the USA DL can be used in foreign country on short-term basis, but still would be better to be able to show the local DL to avoid many questions which would be certainly encountered.

So, for those of you who have actually had experience with this:

Was your FSU significant other required to give up her/his FSU DL when they obtained a state DL in USA?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline vwrw

• Each post of mine is expression of MHO, not a fact
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Need to give up FSU driver's license when getting one in USA?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 09:45:03 AM »
You are not require to give up your FSU driver's license. The officials even do not ask if you have it because in the case with foreign driver's license, you do not exchange the foreign driver's licence for American license, but have to get the driver's license as if you previously had none. If my memory does not fail me, a foreigner can drive with the license from his/her country for 6 months, then s/he must take the necessary tests to obtain their driver's license as if you previously had none.
If you don't understand something, why the other person is the idiot?
~ A member of this forum.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:07:39 AM »
As vwrw says, she does not need to give up her home country license.

Mrs M has a Russian license, USA state license and an International license as she travels to Europe often for her art shows and rents cars there locally. I hold a USA state license and an International license in order to drive in Russia and the FSU.

Note: An IDL is simply a mirror of your home state/country license. To obtain one you must have a local license first as the IDL is sort of an extension of your home license in order to legally drive in other countries.

Mrs M first used her IDL in the USA until she could get a local DL. Your lady could do the same.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:09:57 AM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Manny

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 04:50:25 PM »

This is one area I researched in depth for our book, the Russian Bride Guide.

Here is the relevant quotes from same:

Quote from: Russian Bride Guide
She will almost certainly need to drive and at this point you find out that her Russian license (if she has one) is not exchangeable although it may have a limited time validity depending on your country. Driving will be an excellent self-esteem builder for her and you should get her driving as soon as possible. In the long-term, a (non-EU) FSU driver’s license has all the value of yesterday’s bus ticket, so she will need to get a local one. This means her English being at a level to take instruction and take her driver’s test. However, if she can drive already and has a Russian license, the basic rules for some countries are below......

THE UNITED STATES: In the US the rules differ depending on your state. New York recognizes any license from anywhere in the world, but in Florida a Russian/Ukrainian license is completely worthless. You need either an EAD (work permit) or a green card to get a license. It’s only valid as long as your immigration paperwork is, plus you must take four hours of drug and alcohol classes and a written test followed by a practical driving test. In Massachusetts, a Russian or FSU license is valid for a year only, similar to the UK rules. Those three example states are so different and represent such disparity in the States; you American guys need to check the situation in your state.

In the US, the rules as to what licence is accepted are entirely dependant on state. You guys have so many states, and they all have their own rules. Foreign licences generally have a limited validity. Eventually, one is usually required to take a local test to get a proper US one if from the FSU (Because they know you can simply buy licences in Ukraine and Russia).

She does not need to "give up" any home country licence - ever. The US has no jurisdiction outside of the US (despite what some may think). Her home country licence continues with its validity regardless of what some foreign licence or rule may or may not say. Even if she has to sign something to the effect of giving up any other foreign licence, it is entirely meaningless outside of the US. Such things are designed to stop people using foreign licences in the US when they have a local one as well. If she has to give her old one in, she simply gets a replacement when she visits home, saying she "lost" it.

When visiting home, the home (FSU) country licence should be used unless the "foreign" one is more convenient in some circumstances.

Convenience: Sometimes in the UK, if my wife gets stopped, she shows her Russian licence, acts stupid, grins and feigns limited English. The cops sigh; they likely think "another dumb foreigner", and she gets let off with a verbal warning (too much paperwork to do anything else - like the US, we only fleece our own citizens). If she showed her UK licence, they would fine her and add points. In Estonia, she uses her Russian one too as they can add fines and points to another EU licence (such as a UK one), but with a Russian one, they can't even scan the barcode (as Russia does not share such info), so she is off scott free again.

Not that she is a bad driver...... she has only written two cars off in five years.  :-X

Offline mies

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 08:59:01 PM »
In USA, when you change state of residence, you are legally supposed to get driver's license in the new state.  And the new state usually requires that you give up your DL from the previous state.  This causes no problems because you can use  any state's DL in any other state.

However, for those from other countries, it is not such a carefree situation.

In USA driver's license is a valid ID. It can be used as an ID for traveling within USA limits by air/bus/train, to prove person's identity when communicating with police and state and Federal offices/organization, and other circumstances like that.
A person is required to give up the old ID when receiving the new one in order to keep the record on there place of residence current.

For FSU people driver's license is not a valid ID outside the driving situations. It is not used as an ID when communicating with state offices and organizations, it cannot be used for travel by air/bus/train etc. The only document that can be used as a valid ID for FSU citizens in FSU is their national passport.

The international driver's license, if I remember correctly, can be used in USA for driving purposes but not as an ID in all other situations. For other instances either American ID or the international passport are needed.

Therefore, there is no need to give up FSU driver's license when receiving the American driver's license.  As far as US DMV is concerned, the US driver's license should reflect current/actual address in the US of a foreign person or a recent immigrant, because it will be used as an ID. A foreign driver's license is not a direct substitute or an equivalent of a US license, it cannot be used as ID while in US, nor it is used as an ID back in FSU. Plus, as Manny wrote: "The US has no jurisdiction outside of the US" in those matters.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 10:33:41 PM »
Manny, I've never even heard of a US juridiction asking for a foreign license to be surrendered. In our case they simply assumed that Mrs M didn't have a license.

Btw, you are absolutely correct that a license can be purchased without really completing classes or a test. I won't mention any names here but a lady with the initials Mrs M "obtained" her Russian license in Moscow under such circumstances.

Two cars in 5 years?! Don't feel bad, after obtaining that aforementioned license, I know a certain unnamed wife who had her first accident on the way home from purchasing her very first car from a Moscow dealer.

Thank God she hit a parked car. Her words, "It didn't move out of the way."

I was out of town at the time and her 2nd accident happened just days later in route to the repair facility to fix damages from the first incident.  :wallbash:

A certain unnamed husband insisted on proper lessons after that.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline ML

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 09:44:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies to date.

A little more to cloud the issue.

As I understand it, if a person has a valid DL from another state or a foreign country, they can go into DL bureau in a state, take the written, take the eye test, and take the driven . . . and get a license, if they pass all.

However, it is a different situation for someone who cannot show a valid DL from another state or foreign country.  Such persons have to go through a much more costly and time consuming process involving official driving lessons, first receiving a learners permit which requires they be accompanied by another licensed driver for X period of time, and then go through the regular procedure.

So it is not just a simple matter of not showing your foreign DL.

And for those of you who contend the US cannot require you to give up a foreign DL;  well they can simply say either give it up, or don't get a US DL.  Or deny you have such and go through the more lengthy procedure.

Again, what about those of you who actually have had a significant other with a foreign DL, and later obtained a DL in US?  What was your experience?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Manny

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 02:30:10 PM »
And for those of you who contend the US cannot require you to give up a foreign DL;  well they can simply say either give it up, or don't get a US DL.  Or deny you have such and go through the more lengthy procedure.

In which state have you had this experience please?

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 05:43:07 PM »
As I understand it, if a person has a valid DL from another state or a foreign country, they can go into DL bureau in a state, take the written, take the eye test, and take the driven . . . and get a license, if they pass all.

However, it is a different situation for someone who cannot show a valid DL from another state or foreign country.  Such persons have to go through a much more costly and time consuming process involving official driving lessons, first receiving a learners permit which requires they be accompanied by another licensed driver for X period of time, and then go through the regular procedure.

So it is not just a simple matter of not showing your foreign DL.

Guess we were lucky as it was not an issue. We'd have saved insurance $ by her taking a community college adult driving course but didn't because of time constraints. Today Mrs M still has her Russian DL and IDL; she needs those as we maintain a home in Moscow and she travels extensively with her art business.

Offline mies

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »

I came to USA without any driver's license. I never had one in Ukraine. I never drove a car until 2.5 years ago.

When I decided that I need to drive, I learned the theory and went to the DMV to pass the driver's test on computer and get a driver's permit. It was up to 20$ or so. Probably less.
My husband then taught me how to drive: first day on a parking lot, second day on small streets, third day on big streets, fourth day I practiced following our friend around the city. On fifth day we went to interstate. In the end of the week we went on road trip and crossed the country from west coast to east coast. I drove 40% of all time during this road trip. I drive since. When it became inconvenient to have my husband in a car every time I needed to drive, I registered for driving test, came to the facility with my husband, passed driving test, payed the regular fee and got my driver's license. Technically, if I knew how to drive in the beginning, I could have passed the driving test right away after getting my permit. No "paid lessons" are required. So for me the "more costly and time consuming process" was less than $20 more costly, and extra time spent was equal to one additional trip to DMV to pass the computer test.

A friend of ours had international driver's license issued by foreign country. He first used it for driving purposes, and then got local American driving license. No one demanded him to surrender his foreign driver's license.
There was another friend who had foreign driver's license but not of international type, and they were expired or something like that. If I remember correctly, he passed his driving test on the same day when he received his "learner's permit." Basically he needed to get a learner's permit to take the driving test.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:12:35 PM by mies »

Offline Sailor291

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 11:28:58 AM »
In Texas anybody that moves in from another state or country has 30 days in which to obtain a Texas driver license.  As to enforcement that like anything else would be up to the individual officer. 

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 12:19:59 PM »
...She does not need to "give up" any home country licence - ever. The US has no jurisdiction outside of the US (despite what some may think). Her home country licence continues with its validity regardless of what some foreign licence or rule may or may not say. Even if she has to sign something to the effect of giving up any other foreign licence, it is entirely meaningless outside of the US. Such things are designed to stop people using foreign licences in the US when they have a local one as well. If she has to give her old one in, she simply gets a replacement when she visits home, saying she "lost" it....

This is not true in the stated context. Every US states' DMV have differing guidelines. The State of Maryland for example will require that you surrender your foreign driver's license prior to obtaining the state's license. Certain home countries have an agreement with the State of Maryland's Motor Vehicle Administration whereas the surrendered DLs in those countries will receive the surrendered DLs back from Maryland's MVA once the person applies and obtain a State of Maryland driver's license.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Driver-Services/Apply/license.htm

Notes:
  • France:  License must be Valid or Expired less than one (1) year or "ALL" tests are required. Can transfer Class ""B" license (equivalent to Maryland noncommercial class "C" license) from France, to a Maryland noncommercial Class "C" only. This agreement does not apply to learner's permits, motorcycle licenses or commercial driver's licenses.  Effective:  December 16, 2010. Note: The driver's license from France must be surrendered to the MVA before the Maryland license is issued.  The MVA will return this license to the proper authorities in France to advise them that the customer now holds a Maryland driver's license.
  • Republic of Korea (South): License must be VALID, NOT EXPIRED or "ALL" tests are required.  Can transfer Republic of Korea noncommercial license equivalent to a Maryland noncommercial Class A. B, or C license. The driver's license from the Republic of Korea (South) must be surrendered to the MVA before the Maryland license is issued.  The MVA will return this license to the proper authorities in Korea to advise them that the customer now holds a Maryland driver's license. This agreement does not apply to learner's permits or commercial driver's licenses.  Effective:  December 16, 2010.
  • Federal Republic of Germany:  License must be VALID, NOT EXPIRED or "ALL tests are required.  Can transfer Federal Republic of Germany noncommercial class "B" (equivalent to Maryland noncommercial class "C" license).  The customer must be 18 years of age or older, and be eligible for a Maryland Provisional or Full noncommercial class "C" license only.  This agreement does not apply to learner's permits, motorcycle licenses or commercial driver's licenses.  Effective:  May 10, 2011. Note:  The driver's license from the Federal Republic of Germany must be surrendered to the MVA before the Maryland license is issued.  The MVA will return this license to the proper authorities in the Federal Republic of Germany to advise them that the customer now holds a Maryland driver's license.

How many and which US State, or which countries have this agreement, I am not certain...do your due diligence.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Manny

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 05:20:53 PM »
Can you see Russia taking much notice of a driving licence returned by Maryland? Do you imagine they would cancel it on the strength of the issue of a foreign licence that has less validity in Russia?

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 05:29:49 PM »
What state would know if she had a previous license? Russia and West Virigina nor Ukraine and South Dakota aren't exactly sharing driving records with each other.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 06:38:43 PM »
Can you see Russia taking much notice of a driving licence returned by Maryland? Do you imagine they would cancel it on the strength of the issue of a foreign licence that has less validity in Russia?

That would be irrelevant from Maryland's POV, if they even care at all. Presumably, the applicant is a legal resident of the state and thus governed by the laws of the state. It has nothing to do with what other state/countries would or would not do.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 06:41:21 PM »
What state would know if she had a previous license? Russia and West Virigina nor Ukraine and South Dakota aren't exactly sharing driving records with each other.

I reckon no one unless the applicant opted to shun the state required and certifiable 'x' amount of time of driver training within that state's driving laws for license issuance. This goes in line with apparently what ManLooking allegedly experienced when he stated..

"...Or deny you have such and go through the more lengthy procedure...."

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 12:23:46 AM »
"...Or deny you have such and go through the more lengthy procedure...."

Perhaps some states ask while others make assumptions. In our case the DMV seemed to assume that she was a new driver with no previous experience and administered the tests. As Arizona is a border state and a seeming majority of the state DMV employees of Hispanic heritage, there is often a "don't ask/don't tell" attitude regarding documents for immigrants at the DMV. The fact that this process is often tied to voter registration in many states is one of the hot button issues today.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 12:29:36 AM »
I use my IDL for driving in Russia (yep, only a foreign IDIOT would drive in Mocow, I know...) and the only time I've been waved over by a Policia this year was by an officer who needed directions in our neighborhood as it has a lot of quirky little streets and he was lost. We had a good laugh about him asking an американец for directions and he moved on.

Offline nicknick

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 02:22:02 AM »
This is one area I researched in depth for our book, the Russian Bride Guide.

When visiting home, the home (FSU) country licence should be used unless the "foreign" one is more convenient in some circumstances.

Convenience: Sometimes in the UK, if my wife gets stopped, she shows her Russian licence, acts stupid, grins and feigns limited English. The cops sigh; they likely think "another dumb foreigner", and she gets let off with a verbal warning (too much paperwork to do anything else - like the US, we only fleece our own citizens). If she showed her UK licence, they would fine her and add points. In Estonia, she uses her Russian one too as they can add fines and points to another EU licence (such as a UK one), but with a Russian one, they can't even scan the barcode (as Russia does not share such info), so she is off scott free again.

Not that she is a bad driver...... she has only written two cars off in five years.  :-X

:clapping: That is such a great idea

Offline mies

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 07:39:20 AM »

That would be irrelevant from Maryland's POV, if they even care at all. Presumably, the applicant is a legal resident of the state and thus governed by the laws of the state. It has nothing to do with what other state/countries would or would not do.

I do not think this would be irrelevant from Maryland's POV. Countries need to share the records on driving license to at least be able to check whether there is a driver's license issued by another country.
They also need to have bi-lateral agreements with this other country to be able to take a national document that was issued by this other country. No agreement - no document surrender.

I do not think the driver's license records are shared between US and Ukraine or Russia, since even PASSPORT records aren't shared well enough nor enforced, and FSU people manage to keep both passports. I briefly lived at MD and was thinking to get their DL, went to DMV. They did not check me in any way whether I had or didn't have a Ukrainian driver's license, nor told me I need to surrender it if I have it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 07:45:20 AM by mies »

Offline ML

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 07:58:21 AM »
Thanks for the continued input.

To narrow the focus somewhat, let's agree that;  sure there is no need to give up the foreign DL if you simply do not state that you have a foreign DL or deny it if asked.  Little chance that they would ever find out that you had one or even attempt to find out through diplomatic channels, etc.

The more important question is what is the difference in procedures between those who show up to get a DL in a state and:

1) Show a foreign DL
2) Don't show a foreign DL

What are the differences in cost and time for these two situations?

And, for those who show a foreign DL;  are they asked to surrender it?

I would have thought that dozens of married men here have experienced this situation.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 09:20:47 AM »
....What are the differences in cost and time for these two situations?.....

I'll have to use the last RWD speculation card for the month on this one. Pity, since there's still 13 days left for October...

From my neck of the woods, IIRC, the cost to get my wife driving lessons from a state certified driving school was $400.00. That included 4 1-hour driving lessons (IINM). The school picked her up from the house, provided the car with dual controls & instructor, then drove her home after each lesson.

It also included picking her up on the final day and bringing her to DMV for her driving test and having her use their car (which is huge considering everything in the car is in full compliance when they go through 'equipment check') with the instructor giving her last minute instruction and easing some of the usual angst. She passed it the first time.

Total time - less than a week. The following weeknights we shopped/test drove a few cars. That weekend, after compiling a list of cars she likes, I leased one that I thought was the best choice - all things considered. I did this simply because my wife, at that stage, is nothing more than a usual Gas-Up and Go Gal', and will be for a good long while.

Here's the speculative part: At least in my home state, new drivers are at a premium in terms of insurance. Meaning, rates are much higher if you haven't yet established a history of driving for 36 months. You'll get "Teenager Rates". Thereafter, the rates go down dramatically. Had it been cheaper had my wife had a history of driving by virtue of showing/recorded/surrender of her foreign license when she first applied for a DL? That may well be, I would like to think so at least.

So to answer the quoted 'Q' above, at least from our standpoint, had my wife had a foreign DL before and if my home state had a requirement she surrender her Russian DL to obtain the state DL, and she chose for the fast-track option instead, the difference then is $400.00 and 6 days, plus speculatively, the net difference in the premium.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:53:43 AM by GQBlues »

Offline Kineo

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 11:09:54 AM »
From Maine statutes:

3. Issue restrictions.  A person may not receive a license unless:   A. That person surrenders all valid licenses in that person's possession issued by any jurisdiction; and [1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 1993, c. 683, Pt. B, §5 (AFF).]

Offline mies

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 07:25:59 PM »
Thanks for the continued input.

To narrow the focus somewhat, let's agree that;  sure there is no need to give up the foreign DL if you simply do not state that you have a foreign DL or deny it if asked.  Little chance that they would ever find out that you had one or even attempt to find out through diplomatic channels, etc.

The more important question is what is the difference in procedures between those who show up to get a DL in a state and:

1) Show a foreign DL
2) Don't show a foreign DL

What are the differences in cost and time for these two situations?

In simple terms:
1) Show a foreign DL - present all other sources of proof and required documents, get the state DL. No knowledge test is required, documents may be required to be translated and certified to English.
2) Don't show a foreign DL - present same package of required documents minus the foreign license, pass the test for driver's permit, get the permit, pass the driving skills test and get the license. Whether this can be done in one day, and the fee for permit will depend on state where you live.

people quoted MD regulations, here what their web site says:
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Driver-Services/Apply/international.htm

Exchanging an Out-of-Country License for a Maryland License, Please Bring:If you are a new resident of Maryland you have 60 days to obtain a Maryland Driver's License. You will need the following:
Proof of age/identity, lawful status, verifiable Social Security Number or proof of ineligibility*, Maryland residence, Out-of-Country license(s), and the appropriate fee for each license class.  Please refer to Sources of Proof for required documentation.
  • You must pass a vision screening, knowledge test, and driving test.
  • An Out-of-Country license may be valid or expired. The license cannot be suspended.
  • If licensed for less than 18 months, you will be issued a Maryland Provisional License.
  • If you have never been licensed in the U.S., you must complete a 3-Hour Drug & Alcohol Education Program.
  • A valid U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) physical card or federal/MVA waiver (if applying for a Commercial Driver's License) is needed.
  • An Out-of-Country license may be required to be accompanied by an international driver's license or translated into English by an approved MVA translator.
  • [dot]If you are from Out-of-Country, and have never held a license, you must obtain a learner's permit.[/dot]
Note:  Knowledge and skill tests are NOT required if you are converting/transferring a valid license, or a license that expired less than one (1) year and is issued by one of the following countries or U.S. Territories:
  • Countries:  Canada, Yukon Territory, or France,
  • U.S. Territories:  American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands.  Also included is the Panama Canal Zone, if the applicant was born prior to September 30, 1979.
Note:  The driver's license from the Republic of Korea (South), France, and the Federal Republic of Germany must be surrendered to the MVA before the Maryland driver's license is issued.  The MVA will return this license to the proper authorities in the Republic of Korea (South), France and the Federal Republic of Germany to advise them that the customer now holds a Maryland driver's license. (mind it, no other countries are mentioned)

Translation of Foreign Issued DocumentsSources of Proof documents must be in English, or translated into English by a MVA's Approved Interpreter/Translator. A foreign issued license may be required to be accompanied by an international driver's license or translated into English by a MVA Approved Interpreter/Translator.
  • Interpreters providing services for knowledge/skills testing are prohibited from providing other language services such as translating documents, certifying residence, conducting the business of a driving school, issuing lease/rental agreements, etc. on behalf of the customer being tested.
  • Interpreters cannot provide interpretation services for family members, including but not limited to a blood relation or a relative related by marriage.
  • In-person interpreter and/or translator providers must show a valid photo identification card, either a state driver's license or a state identification card, to MVA branch office staff prior to conducting on-site interpretation and/or translation services. MVA branch office staff must check the MVA's Approved Interpreter/Translator Provider Listing and/or the Maryland Court Interpreter Registry Listing to confirm the interpreter/translator is on the current listing.
  • The original document must accompany the English translation.
Translations must be:
  • On a document prepared by an MVA approved translation provider; or
  • On a document prepared by a court translator; or
  • On the letterhead of the embassy of the country of origin; or
  • On the letterhead of the translator contracted by the State;
All of the above documents must:
  • Contain the typed/printed name of the translator, telephone number and
  • Signature of translator.
This is how Ukrainian license looks, i'm not sure if it requires a translation into English to be acceptable for the MD DMV:

If I am reading this correctly (and I may be wrong and the permit fee is actually lower than that), the fee for the permit in MD is $50, and $45 for the license:
Learner’s Permit – Non CDL Type I (No previous license. Includes conversion fee) $50.00
Driver’s License (new resident) $45.00

In TX, it looks like the permit is $16, DL is 25. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/dlfees.htm

I could not find any information (with a quick and basic search) which would say that a person MUST wait for certain period of time before passing the driving test and getting a license. Which makes me think it should be allowed to come, pass computer test, get the permit, and do the driving test. In some states this process probably could be lengthier, for example when the applicant for DL is required to register for the driving test beforehand, and include the permit number while booking the test date. Which means in those states one would need to travel twice to the DMV: one for permit, second time for license. On the other hand, not all states require prior registration for the driving test, maybe in your state you just need to come early enough to take the test before the DMV is closed for the day.

I do not think the cost of permit is prohibitively high. 16$ to 50$ range, isn't too bad. If she will need to get her foreign-issued documents translated and verified this probably won't be cheaper.

Maybe if your friend can call local DMV, they will explain her what is the procedure? The DMV web sites usually also provide the list of documents that must be presented while applying for a permit or a license.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:32:25 PM by mies »

Offline mies

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 07:35:48 PM »
From Maine statutes:

3. Issue restrictions.  A person may not receive a license unless:   A. That person surrenders all valid licenses in that person's possession issued by any jurisdiction; and [1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 1993, c. 683, Pt. B, §5 (AFF).]

how about the valid caveat?

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541003
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1869
Total: 1880

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM