It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: A Discovery Channel / TLC UK documentary featured Dream Connections this time  (Read 20879 times)

Offline Mark Davis

• Commercial Member
  • Mark & Anna Davis
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Hey, Guys:

About a year ago we were approached by a TV producer with the Discovery Channel.  They wanted to travel along with us (DreamConnections.com) and film one of our Quest Tours in Nikolaev Ukraine.

They said they wanted to show the positive side of how it could be possible to meet and marry someone overseas.

If you'd like to see it, I've been allowed to post a copy on my site: http://DreamConnections.com/tv

We also put out a press release today to create some awareness in the US, since it was a European broadcast: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/12/prweb12378357.htm

In the end, I think it was fairly obvious that the host, Jodie Marsh, had her own opinion about the subject before she even went.

But, I think it was better than most I've seen done.

We took the risk.  Do you think it was worth it?  Should we have agreed to do this?

I'd love to hear your thoughts after you've seen it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:58:17 AM by Mark Davis »
Best wishes for your success,
Mark & Anna Davis
Co-Founders
http://www.DreamConnections.com
Free 10-Day Video Course Available Online

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
I just started to watch this video and Jodie Marsh is complaining that her own marriage was a horrendous experience.  Gee Jodie do you think with all of those tattoo's all over your arms and body and fake lips that perhaps you attracted the wrong guy?

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled program.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:26:43 PM by AC »

Offline AC

• Banned Member
Overall a very good video.  I especially liked the English couple featured (the older man with the younger wife who works or owns the nail salon).  They looked very much in love.  I thought the Welsh guy seemed the most normal. 

Although I wish good luck to the young guy who gave a "promise" ring (I promise, sort of maybe) he should know that is not the custom in Ukraine.  Engagement rings are also not the custom, but at least an engagement ring has more of a real promise to it.

I wonder what happened to the 26 year old virgin guy?  I thought he would find a partner.  What became of him?

Naturally the producers had to feature a bit about the dark side of this situation.  DV and whatever else probably happens as much or more with relationships featuring partners within a given country, however it's good for ratings to sensationalize it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:15:31 PM by AC »

Offline Mark Davis

• Commercial Member
  • Mark & Anna Davis
Hey, AC:

You got it right about Jodie.  I don't want to be a spoiler yet on what happened with who, but I will next week. 

I was told that this was fairly tame compared to some of Jodie's other documentaries.  It was a big risk to get some high profile media - but it didn't even air here in the US. 
Mark & Anna Davis
Co-Founders

Offline AC

• Banned Member
Hey, AC:

You got it right about Jodie.  I don't want to be a spoiler yet on what happened with who, but I will next week. 

I was told that this was fairly tame compared to some of Jodie's other documentaries.  It was a big risk to get some high profile media - but it didn't even air here in the US.

I think it was worth it for you to take the risk.  You always know that Western media will try to sensationalize this sort of thing for their own bent, but people can read between the lines.

I find Jody to be very attractive and a nice personality to boot, I wonder why she felt a need to change what she had? 

Offline Mark Davis

• Commercial Member
  • Mark & Anna Davis
The one girl who was on the date and the translator said she was a "virgin" instead of a "Virgo" - she's actually a really amazing girl and friend of my wife's.  I hope we can find a good guy for her.
Mark & Anna Davis
Co-Founders

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
Mark
I thought it was one of the more well done pieces on the subject. Like you it was pretty obvious to me Marsh already had her mind made up but to her credit she didn't turn it into a complete hack job. When she spoke to the lawyer and then the Katerina piece I was thinking oh yeah, here it comes. She did manage to get the negativity in there in what to me, seems out of place in the story. There are plenty of failed marriages in East/West relationships and plenty of abuse as well. Not surprising she didn't mention the divorce and abuse in same culture relationships as well. It wouldn't fit with her apparent mantra.

I wasn't expecting a warm fuzzy feel good piece and I wasn't disappointed and while she didn't take the opportunity to completely defecate all over the relationships, she did take some shots. I thought that was tacky.

Offline Boethius

I can't be bothered to register to watch, but wouldn't the point re abuse be that WW in abusive relationships have support systems and the means to change their circumstances, whereas foreign women often do not?
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online Faux Pas

I can't be bothered to register to watch, but wouldn't the point re abuse be that WW in abusive relationships have support systems and the means to change their circumstances, whereas foreign women often do not?

I'm not following your logic unless your reference to support systems is something other than the same legal channels that Western women use. Obviously it worked for the RW in the piece. All we know from this piece is that Katerina says she was abused and the police shot the husband dead. He's not around to tell his side. Don't misunderstand, I'm not excusing the abuse or taking it lightly but, abuse is abuse, is it not? No matter where the woman is from. This particular woman could have just as well experienced abuse at the hands of a RM. I don't see where the abuse needed to be a part of this story other than the author/director needed it to be
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:05:09 AM by Faux Pas »

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
Does all the men who are or have been abused or risk to be abused by the global MOB system, financially, emotionnaly, and also physically (some being beaten) have a law to protect them of this abuse ?
NO.
Is that showed in the movie ?
NO
Is it important in America to show that men can be abused financially, emotionaly, physically ?
NO
Does a company doing more than $100 millions can prosecute people shaming them publicly ? Yes, even it this company is a major acccomplice of thousands abuses.
But who cares ?
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
Mark, you made a good mark in this one.
Just as you guessed it journalists always adjust their production in the way they feel nice for ..... them, their channel and so on.
The facts are that at the end she sent the usual message behind the blindness of many men. The backstreets of the scene had been pinpointed : desesperation in economy (for 100 $ per month you can imagine what girls are going to do) and desesperation in love (first week first ring for one participant), not forgetting the usual welcome in America, a pinch of the feminazi flag.

You got a lot of credits
But the mob as usual had been bashed .  (sorry for the mob word, your work don't desserve it, but you know what i mean).
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline AC

• Banned Member
Does all the men who are or have been abused or risk to be abused by the global MOB system, financially, emotionnaly, and also physically (some being beaten) have a law to protect them of this abuse ?
NO.
NO
Is it important in America to show that men can be abused financially, emotionaly, physically ?
NO
Does a company doing more than $100 millions can prosecute people shaming them publicly ? Yes, even it this company is a major acccomplice of thousands abuses.
But who cares ?

Men are evil and deserve it whereas women are innocent little angels. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:55:35 PM by AC »

Offline Boethius

I'm not following your logic unless your reference to support systems is something other than the same legal channels that Western women use. Obviously it worked for the RW in the piece. All we know from this piece is that Katerina says she was abused and the police shot the husband dead. He's not around to tell his side. Don't misunderstand, I'm not excusing the abuse or taking it lightly but, abuse is abuse, is it not? No matter where the woman is from. This particular woman could have just as well experienced abuse at the hands of a RM. I don't see where the abuse needed to be a part of this story other than the author/director needed it to be

Knowing a great many immigrant women, and having helped many informally, the issue is different.  A WW will usually have a support system - parents, a sibling, friends, someone who can help her reestablish her life.  Immigrant women may have friends to help them, but their support systems in leaving an abusive spouse, particularly if they have children, are more difficult.  She has to rely solely on herself.  It is particularly difficult if the abuse starts shortly after the woman arrives in a new country.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Boethius

NO.
NO
NO
But who cares ?

It is much rarer for a man to be abused than vice versa.  I am not suggesting it doesn't happen, it is just not as commonplace.

Online Faux Pas

Knowing a great many immigrant women, and having helped many informally, the issue is different.  A WW will usually have a support system - parents, a sibling, friends, someone who can help her reestablish her life.  Immigrant women may have friends to help them, but their support systems in leaving an abusive spouse, particularly if they have children, are more difficult.  She has to rely solely on herself.  It is particularly difficult if the abuse starts shortly after the woman arrives in a new country.

I can see, understand and agree with that but, that wasn't part of the story. The abuse was presented almost as it is part of all WM/EW relationships. Which I took as another one of Marsh's pot shots

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels

It is much rarer for a man to be abused than vice versa.  I am not suggesting it doesn't happen, it is just not as commonplace.

Your belief

Common strategy for western women to count :
All violence done to women (physically, emotionnal (what he says, how he look at me, stalking, and write a long list here...)

And for men :
Only physical violence.

So of course with this narrowed vision men don't suffer too much.

Offline Boethius

Not my belief, it is accurate.  There is loads of research to back up that statement.

Offline Chicagoguy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
I have seen shows like this before and I thought it was as fair as you could get. But as for me, it seems like a sad way to find a wife. But if this is what these men and women want I do not want to judge them. Whatever works.

Online Faux Pas

I have seen shows like this before and I thought it was as fair as you could get. But as for me, it seems like a sad way to find a wife. But if this is what these men and women want I do not want to judge them. Whatever works.

When you see the wide array of men who go on these controlled trips, it is easy to stereo type them and everyone else in cross cultural relationships as freaks. A couple of the guys in the clip gave me jeebies. Some of the people (men and women) that I have met personally that are in such relationships and married strike me as the same. Most are actually normal but the few can magnify for use by the naysayers as negative, social misfits, wife abusing and sex addicted misogynists.

Those not involved in cross cultural relationships or marriages already see the venture as for "losers", misfits that can't date otherwise unless it's with economic disparity. Old pervs taking advantage of younger women ect. ect.. It's a stereotype that is not at all true but, perception is reality in this case. The Jodie Marsh's of the entertainment industry use that for their advantage, the truth be dammed

Offline AC

• Banned Member
Not my belief, ....  There is loads of research to back up that statement.

Financed and done by women.  How many Universities have men's studies on their curriculum?  Probably zero.  Men are not very good at expressing their opinions on this subject to begin with, and when they do they get opinions like yours that their experiences are not valid, but the women's experiences are.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:56:21 PM by AC »

Offline Boethius

Offline AC

• Banned Member
You seem to be missing the point or avoiding it.  Violence and abuse against men is not always women versus men, it's often men versus men (clergy, rape in prison, or abuse by a parent).  Men potentially being victimized by the "mob" industry in Ukraine or Russia is probably just a small slice of it, but as we can see by Ludmila's response to Rembrandt men "deserve it" (and the abuse is coordinated by a woman and man or group of men).  Furthermore it's more profitable (as in job security) for a man to take the feminist point of view, if he's some sort of Academic.

MSP 538: Male Victimization (3 credits)
 This course will focus on the types of abuse faced by males as children, adolescents and adults. It will examine the role of gender in the cycle of abuse and include an overview of Post-traumatic stress disorder and its treatment, the affects of emotional, sexual and physical abuse. One can focus on the assessment and treatment research in the area of male victimization, or the psychological treatment of sexual perpetrators (including clergy), adult survivors of abuse and rape. One may also write an in-depth report on a visited treatment site.

http://www.akamaiuniversity.us/MensStudies.html
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 03:58:29 PM by AC »

Offline Mark Davis

• Commercial Member
  • Mark & Anna Davis

Men are evil and deserve it whereas women are innocent little angels.

You nailed that one!  It's the same mindset that forced men in the 90's to have to take "Gender Sensitivity" classes in order to get college degrees.  It's the mindset that men are responsible for all wars, crimes, and all men are predators. 
Mark & Anna Davis
Co-Founders

Offline Mark Davis

• Commercial Member
  • Mark & Anna Davis
Mark, you made a good mark in this one.
Just as you guessed it journalists always adjust their production in the way they feel nice for ..... them, their channel and so on.
The facts are that at the end she sent the usual message behind the blindness of many men. The backstreets of the scene had been pinpointed : desesperation in economy (for 100 $ per month you can imagine what girls are going to do) and desesperation in love (first week first ring for one participant), not forgetting the usual welcome in America, a pinch of the feminazi flag.

You got a lot of credits
But the mob as usual had been bashed .  (sorry for the mob word, your work don't desserve it, but you know what i mean).

Dude - thanks for the kudos.  It means a lot to me. 

By the way, we were originally told that the show was going to be called, "Jodie Marsh on International Marriage".  Supposedly the network made the change to the MOB label.  A lot of promises were made that did not happen.  If something like this came our way again we'd certainly demand a few things more now that we've been through this once.
Mark & Anna Davis
Co-Founders

Offline Boethius

You nailed that one!  It's the same mindset that forced men in the 90's to have to take "Gender Sensitivity" classes in order to get college degrees.  It's the mindset that men are responsible for all wars, crimes, and all men are predators.

So who commits most of the crime in the U.S.?  Women?  Is it even close?  The "mindset" conforms to something referred to as "reality".  It is not about "most men", BTW.

It's a stupid argument.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541019
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 2197
Total: 2206

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 06:44:55 AM

Re: Arctic Blast hit hard in most areas of USA by 2tallbill
Today at 06:36:29 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM