It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Rental car in Antalya  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Milz713

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Rental car in Antalya
« on: October 09, 2012, 10:04:44 AM »
I know a few of you have traveled to Antalya so hopefully you can help on this one.  Due to some in expected flight changes I will need a rental car in Antalya and I have looked online and have found some sites that promise around $250 for 8 days which seems like a great deal compares to Priceline and Expedia,  does anyone have and good or bad experience with this and what do you think of the optional insurance?  I am not sure i understand what the companies mean when they are talking about a insurance waiver?  Any help would be great,  thanks,  I leave Thursday so I am a little under the gun here)))

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
Re: Rental car in Antalya
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »
Usually an insurance waiver means that you will be responsible for any damages or theft of the rental should you choose not to buy the insurance they offer on it.
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline Daveman

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 11:32:03 AM »
Usually an insurance waiver means that you will be responsible for any damages or theft of the rental should you choose not to buy the insurance they offer on it.

Yep, and usually they will not allow one to waive such insurance unless proof of existing insurance, which covers rental vehicles, is provided.  Check your ins. policy to see if you have such coverage valid in a foreign country. 

Some cards, e.g., Amex gold or platinum will provide this coverage during travel if the card is used for the rental, though the acceptance of Amex can be sporadic.  Other cards may also provide such coverage as well.  So, check with your card issuer.

If you don't have any such coverage via policy or card, then you'll probably have to purchase the ins. along with the rental.  In some places, I would not be a bit surprised if the rental agency took the extra key and stole the cars themselves to collect the money.   ;D
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 11:34:56 AM »

Yep, and usually they will not allow one to waive such insurance unless proof of existing insurance, which covers rental vehicles, is provided.  Check your ins. policy to see if you have such coverage valid in a foreign country. 

Some cards, e.g., Amex gold or platinum will provide this coverage during travel if the card is used for the rental, though the acceptance of Amex can be sporadic.  Other cards may also provide such coverage as well.  So, check with your card issuer.

If you don't have any such coverage via policy or card, then you'll probably have to purchase the ins. along with the rental.  In some places, I would not be a bit surprised if the rental agency took the extra key and stole the cars themselves to collect the money.   ;D

I could definitely see this happening in Ukraine but then again I would never risk driving in that country. LOL
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline Daveman

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 11:43:33 AM »

I could definitely see this happening in Ukraine but then again I would never risk driving in that country. LOL

Heh.. wouldn't surprise me there either.  I used to have to same thoughts about driving there as well.  Now that I have a couple thousand km's under my belt from east to west and back, I have to admit it's a breeze to drive there (though roads can be worse than people imagine in some areas).  The trick to driving there is simple -- just get more in touch and in tune with your "inner assholiness".  For example, learning to anticipate the light changing to green so you can lay on the horn immediately..  e.g., red grBEEEEEEEEEP!  Hone those reflexes!  >:D
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Offline Shadow

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 12:34:48 PM »
Antalya lies in Turkey. While it is used to Western tourists, I would still not recommend driving anywhere unless you are really used to the style of driving.

The personal space of the car ends in Turkey 10cm from the end of the bodywork, the white lines are considered as much decoration as the Christmas lights on the streets (those green/red/orange things). Road police usually stands in the middle of a straight street without exits urging the traffic to move on in the middle of a traffic jam.

As there are bus tours to nearly every place from about any hotel, I would recommend using them or taxis. The buses and taxis can be considered death traps as wel, but at least you will not be in the driving seat when a head-on collision happens.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Vasilisa

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 12:53:38 PM »
Antalya lies in Turkey. While it is used to Western tourists, I would still not recommend driving anywhere unless you are really used to the style of driving.

I completely agree, I had exactly the same thought, you may end up paying the cost of the car, maybe more.

Offline Milz713

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 01:22:12 PM »
Ok well I have not issue with the insurance but the way it was worded had me wondering,  I am more worried about if these rental prices are too good to be true or if there is something I am missing and why it would be better to pay double at expedia,  I have driven in Cyprus and to tell the truth it was the best decision I ever made in renting a car and driving up into the Turkish region and exploring the mountains and Kantara castle..  I was a bit nervous driving in Nicosia but I managed to do ok.  It only took me about 5 mins to get the nerve to pull out of the hotel parking lot into traffic after the man from the rental company dropped off the car and I had to constantly remind myself that we are going to be on the left side of the road.  Renting a car really opens up the options when traveling and in this instance I have to rent a car so,,,,

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541271
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2956
Most Online Ever: 12701