It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: regional accents  (Read 13065 times)

lordtiberius

regional accents
« on: October 20, 2014, 06:45:31 PM »
When I was looking, I was talking to a girl from Dnepropetrovsk and she had a very heavy accent.  I never spoke Russian to her as Ahe was a translator.  And I hired an artist from there working on my comic who spoke with that same accent.  I am curious about regional accents from Russia and Ukraine.  Thank you.

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: regional accents
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 03:26:23 AM »
I am curious about regional accents from Russia and Ukraine.
I think you should be a little more specific as to what you wish to know.

Regional accents occur in ANY country and language: differences are phonetical (pronunciation of vowels and consonants) but also prosodic (lilt, speed, etc.)

Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Doll

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 03:38:44 AM »
When I was looking, I was talking to a girl from Dnepropetrovsk and she had a very heavy accent.  I never spoke Russian to her as Ahe was a translator.  And I hired an artist from there working on my comic who spoke with that same accent.  I am curious about regional accents from Russia and Ukraine.  Thank you.
There are several: "Moscow", Northen, Urals, Siberian, Southern (close to Ukrainian).

Offline Doll

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 03:41:49 AM »
Sandro, Dnepropetrovsk is Ukraine, so her accent is "Southern".
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:36:59 AM by Doll »

lordtiberius

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 04:32:28 AM »
I think you should be a little more specific as to what you wish to know.

Regional accents occur in ANY country and language: differences are phonetical (pronunciation of vowels and consonants) but also prosodic (lilt, speed, etc.)

Are you a Russian speaker?

lordtiberius

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 04:34:37 AM »
There are several: "Moscow", Northen, Urals, Siberian, Southern (close to Ukrainian).

I had heard that.  If I had to guess, I would say you are from St. Petersburg, no?

Offline Doll

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 10:16:39 AM »
I had heard that.  If I had to guess, I would say you are from St. Petersburg, no?
You haven't heard me speak so you can't guess.
I am from South of Russia-Kuban. I don't have too much of a Southern accent because my major is language so I watch))), but yet people know I am from the South.
Russians in Kuban and Don speak with an accent close to Ukrainian.
My dad was Byelorussian with Belorussian accent.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:21:01 AM by Doll »

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 10:34:56 AM »
Are you a Russian speaker?

What he posted applies to ANY and all languages.  He even capitalized it for you, as did I.

lordtiberius

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 07:34:15 PM »
You haven't heard me speak so you can't guess.
I am from South of Russia-Kuban. I don't have too much of a Southern accent because my major is language so I watch))), but yet people know I am from the South.
Russians in Kuban and Don speak with an accent close to Ukrainian.
My dad was Byelorussian with Belorussian accent.

Is your Dad from Smolensk?  How do Belorussians speak Russian?  How is their accent different from yours?

Also do you find your diction different from that of your children or your parent's generation?  I am grateful you replied.

Offline Lily

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 05:34:40 PM »
I would say that people in Samara speak just like the Moscovites and St Petersburher do. Never noticed any difference. I was always susceptible to such things.
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline alex330

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 05:43:35 PM »
My wife is from Odessa which has a distinct Russian accent of it's own. As a non speaker I am unable to tell, but native speakers apparently can.

lordtiberius

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 06:54:52 PM »
My wife is from Odessa which has a distinct Russian accent of it's own. As a non speaker I am unable to tell, but native speakers apparently can.

Супергуд!

Offline Boethius

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 06:58:25 PM »
I would say that people in Samara speak just like the Moscovites and St Petersburher do. Never noticed any difference. I was always susceptible to such things.

I can't speak for Samara, but the accents in Moscow and St. Petersburg are very different.  Muscovites speak very quickly, those in St. Petersburg do not.  I notice a real difference in the Russian of those two cities.

The better half says the Samara accent is different from both, it is very flat.

I've been fascinated in this subject for decades.  My interest arose in 1990, when I happened to listen to a radio interview about halfway through.  I assumed the speaker was an American, based on his flat Russian accent, but the language was flawless, unlike anything I'd ever heard a non Russian speak, ever.  I just had to know who this foreigner speaking perfect Russian was So, I asked my husband if he'd happened to hear who was being interviewed.  He laughed and told me it was a Russian politician.  By the expression on my face, he knew that surprised me, and he asked if I thought it was a foreigner.  He told me the politician was from Siberia, and that in that particular region, that is how they speak.  Since then, it is something I have developed an interest in.

Russian spoken in Ukraine is different from Russian spoken in Russia.  I would describe it as softer, though that is not 100% accurate.  However, one would  not hear a Russian say "sho" or even "shchto", but rarely hear anything else in Ukraine.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 07:24:50 AM »
And parts of a person's native accent are often brought over when speaking a foreign language: I can often guess the nationality of someone using Italian or English as an acquired language.

Closed Os and velar Ls are dead giveaways for Russians/Ukrainians, as well as awkward double consonants ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 03:48:10 PM »
Milan's "Duomo"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541004
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1870
Total: 1881

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM