It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Is it true there is an imbalance in the men-to-women ratio in Russia?  (Read 22350 times)

Offline Brianinaz

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Is it true there is an imbalance in the men-to-women ratio in Russia?
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »
http://www.aei.org/files/2011/11/02/-eberstadtthedyingbear_194331985869.pdf

Interesting reading.
"Women between 20 and 29 years of age bear
nearly two-thirds of Russia’s babies. In 2025, Russia is projected to have
just 6.4 million women in their 20s, 45 percent fewer than today—and
there is relatively little mystery in these projections, given that all
women who will be between 20 and 29 years in 2025 are already alive."
Roughly half the number of women in their 20's....Wow, better get while the gettin is good.

Offline lakecreek

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2012, 01:38:04 AM »
I heard drinking is a issue in Russia. My friend she is from Yekaterinburg, Russia ( she is gorgeous unfortunately she is taken by another girl) she told me drinking is a common way for most Russians to relieve stress and keep warm during harsh winters. She also told me streets pretty dangerous at night. She never mention to me about the imbalance gender ratio but most of you guys brought up good points what leads to this so called shortage of men.

I need to have a Russian discussion with her, maybe I will next week weekend when she will take me to a Russian restaurant for my belated birthday.

But comparing RW to AW friendship, I would say RW seem more caring (show more affection) of their friends than AW. Hugs and kisses on the cheek only comes from her (RW) but AW not really.

Offline Turboguy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2012, 04:25:39 AM »
I would agree with the comment about the drinking but would tend to disagree with the comment about the streets not being safe at night.  I have been to lots of cities over there, lots of times including two trips to Yeketerinburg.  I would say the city streets over there are safer than most big city streets here.  I am not saying you can't find trouble there but less so than here.

Offline Gator

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2012, 06:30:34 AM »

But comparing RW to AW friendship, I would say RW seem more caring (show more affection) of their friends than AW. Hugs and kisses on the cheek only comes from her (RW) but AW not really.

Do you base this opinion on just your one friend.  If so, keep in mind that she is a lipstick lesbian.

Also, if you use cheek kisses as an indication, keep in mind that cheek kisses are a polite, somewhat routine greeting in the FSU, almost equivalent to our perfunctory "How are you."

Offline ML

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2012, 09:44:59 AM »
Also be aware that for many FSUW, they will care much more about their female friends than the will about their man or other family members. 

Some very, very, very strong bonds.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2012, 01:06:33 PM »
Also be aware that for many FSUW, they will care much more about their female friends than the will about their man or other family members. 

Really!
And you say their are many such FSUW women like this?

As I have never seen this, could you tell us what areas of the FSU, or areas in America, where you have seen many FSUWomen who cared more about their girlfriends than their husband or boyfriend and their family members?

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2012, 02:12:55 PM »
I was in Peter last June and it is truely an amazing city!  Tons of beauty and history.  If you are not crazy about Russian food there are about the same amount of McDonald's as Chicago not to mention subway, burger king, KFC, and pizza hut.  Don't let these guys fool you,  90% of the people I talked to either don't know English or won't speak English.  I was with a native so it made life very easy. Just make sure you fit Pushkin and Peterhof into the schedule...

Even by your reckoning that means that 10% do speak English.  Do you honestly think that you could say the reverse applies in the USA?

You say that you were with a native - how do you think you would have coped if you didn't have them (her? him?) holding your hand (literally or figuratively)?  If you were on your own you would have to have tried at least some Russian, and I guarantee that you would have got a different response.

Offline lakecreek

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2012, 07:27:58 PM »

Some very, very, very strong bonds.

I will have to agree with Jack on this one, I have read forums about Russian women totally taking care of family members, husband, children and their friends. Maybe a few Russians are like this, but I think the numbers would be small. I know I can't make a totally judgement as I never had been to Russia, but I'm sure I could ask several women there on their views of qualities of life.

Offline Milz713

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2012, 08:39:30 PM »
I think Anotherkiwi missed the part where I said they either couldnt speak english or they wont speak English,  I mean they may know it but they didnt want to speak it.  I know very little Russian,  just enough to be polite and say I dont know Russian.  In Moscow many many people spoke English when I was there but in Peter I would go to buy something without my Russian friend or try to order something in a Restaurant and they did not speak English.  Even the hotel I stayed at I couldnt find anyone that could speak English much better than I could speak Russian.  At the Hermitage Museum the woman who I bought the tickets from didnt speak English even though the prices were in English.  In Moscow everyone knew before I opened my mouth I was American and if someone approached me in the street they spoke English,  in Peter I had people approach me in the street speaking Russian.    To tell people that they can go into a Russian grocery store and strike up a conversation with the cashier and expect them to speak English?   That isint going to happen.  Are there more people in Russia that speak English compared to people in USA that speak Russian?  Of course there are but I dont think there is a forum out there with Russians saying you can go to Chicago and find Russian speaking people everywhere,,,

Offline Eduard

• Commercial Member Restricted
  • Family is where it's at!
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2012, 11:41:55 AM »
Don't believe it.

Eduard?
Haha, I'm not touching this one! I only believe my own eyes...while some chose to believe in goverment's stats. I'll let the "experts" sort this one out  8)
realrussianmatch.com

Offline Manny

• Commercial Member
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2012, 02:20:37 PM »
Haha, I'm not touching this one! I only believe my own eyes...while some chose to believe in goverment's stats. I'll let the "experts" sort this one out  8)

Isn't it 8-1 by your reckoning?

Totally disproved elsewhere I might add........

Offline ML

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2012, 04:09:16 PM »
Really!
And you say their are many such FSUW women like this?

As I have never seen this, could you tell us what areas of the FSU, or areas in America, where you have seen many FSUWomen who cared more about their girlfriends than their husband or boyfriend and their family members?

Jack, I am quite aware of your tactics.

So right now I will concede that your dick is bigger than mine.   8)
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2012, 05:51:06 PM »

Even by your reckoning that means that 10% do speak English.  Do you honestly think that you could say the reverse applies in the USA?

You say that you were with a native - how do you think you would have coped if you didn't have them (her? him?) holding your hand (literally or figuratively)?  If you were on your own you would have to have tried at least some Russian, and I guarantee that you would have got a different response.

What's your point AK? He didn't say 10% did speak English. My experience in Piter would indicate it's not even half that much. There is a small segment of the Russian population that has taken at least an English course in school. The reason for that IMHO is that English is the most widely spoken language. As a result of this and that many Russians are exposed to some of the English language on a regular basis. Many Russians know some words of English but can't speak or converse.

In the Western Hemisphere there isn't much if any need for Westerners to know any Russian on a routine basis. Most Americans IMHO will be as conversant in Spanish, French, Italian or perhaps some German as your average Russian on the street is in English.

Offline GunayH

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 05:10:50 AM »
Yes, there is imbalance in the number, most as we grow older.

This is worse when you determine how many men are available to marry in the middle-ages and then how many you would want to marry or be in love with.

Offline Muzh

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 07:40:07 AM »

Do you base this opinion on just your one friend.  If so, keep in mind that she is a lipstick lesbian.

Also, if you use cheek kisses as an indication, keep in mind that cheek kisses are a polite, somewhat routine greeting in the FSU, almost equivalent to our perfunctory "How are you."

You mean as our cold, calculating nature? Yep, very affectionate that we are.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline lakecreek

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 04:59:35 PM »
You mean as our cold, calculating nature? Yep, very affectionate that we are.

LOL!! Yeah that was a bit cold there.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 02:50:20 AM »
I think Anotherkiwi missed the part where I said they either couldnt speak english or they wont speak English,  I mean they may know it but they didnt want to speak it.

No, I didn't miss that part.  It's why I made the point that, if you reckon 90% of them can't or won't speak English, then logically 10% can.

As for the rest of that post, I've broken it down into its components.  Please note that I don't disagree with anything which you experienced - it's just that some of it is quite different from what I, as someone else with very limited Russian language ability, saw for myself.

I know very little Russian,  just enough to be polite and say I dont know Russian.

Seriously, that's a good start.  Say it with a proper smile and you'll get a smile in return.

In Moscow many many people spoke English when I was there but in Peter I would go to buy something without my Russian friend or try to order something in a Restaurant and they did not speak English.

Fair enough, but it depends very much where you go - you'll probably find the best English at McDonald's!

Even the hotel I stayed at I couldnt find anyone that could speak English much better than I could speak Russian.

I won't argue with you, but I would seriously not consider using that hotel again!  Every half-decent hotel that regularly has English-speaking guests will either have someone on their staff who speaks passable English or have contact with someone who speaks English pretty well (e.g. a local guide/interpreter, schoolteacher or university student).  If they couldn't help you they weren't really trying...but, then again, they may be owned by a co-operative of old-style babushkas.  :D

At the Hermitage Museum the woman who I bought the tickets from didnt speak English even though the prices were in English.

I agree about the cashier because I had the same experience, but it was totally different inside.  There was at least one girl in the souvenir shop who spoke fluent English and, in the three days that I spent exploring the museum, I found several "guardians" with good to fluent English language skills.

In Moscow everyone knew before I opened my mouth I was American and if someone approached me in the street they spoke English, in Peter I had people approach me in the street speaking Russian.

Maybe you changed your clothing style during the transfer.  8)   Seriously, I'm one of many who has posted on this board about being asked for directions in Russia and Ukraine.  The only place I can remember being questioned in English in the street by a local, with no preliminary exploration, is Cologne in Germany.

To tell people that they can go into a Russian grocery store and strike up a conversation with the cashier and expect them to speak English?   That isint going to happen.

I know it isn't - I never said that it would!

Are there more people in Russia that speak English compared to people in USA that speak Russian?  Of course there are but I dont think there is a forum out there with Russians saying you can go to Chicago and find Russian speaking people everywhere,,,

You picked the wrong city!  There are plenty of posts on this forum saying exactly that.  Maybe not everywhere, of course, but lots of them live in the Windy City.

The main point is quite simple - different people will have different experiences of the same place, even if they are there at the same time.  My mother and her sister went to San Diego for 10 days last Christmas - Mum had a ball, Auntie got very ill and therefore finished with rather a jaundiced view.  To make up for it they upgraded themselves on the flight home.  :D

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 03:02:26 AM »
What's your point AK? He didn't say 10% did speak English. My experience in Piter would indicate it's not even half that much. There is a small segment of the Russian population that has taken at least an English course in school. The reason for that IMHO is that English is the most widely spoken language. As a result of this and that many Russians are exposed to some of the English language on a regular basis. Many Russians know some words of English but can't speak or converse...

We've been through this discusion before (not necessarily you and I).  English has been compulsory in Russian schools for years, therefore (logically) everyone under 30 (?) will have learnt some, although of course the ability of the teacher will certainly influence how well the student learnt or retained their knowledge.  I'm not doubting your experiences in St Petersburg, or those of Milz713 - I'm just relating my own.  Apart from produkti shopping, everywhere I went in Piter had someone available to speak English.  Maybe I was lucky, or just went to different places.  However, the other point that I made was that even I, with my limited Russian, was able to cope well enough on my own in areas where English was NOT spoken.  If Milz learns a bit more than he already has it should open up the world in a way that he may not have previously expected.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 03:57:27 AM »

We've been through this discusion before (not necessarily you and I).  English has been compulsory in Russian schools for years, therefore (logically) everyone under 30 (?) will have learnt some, although of course the ability of the teacher will certainly influence how well the student learnt or retained their knowledge.  I'm not doubting your experiences in St Petersburg, or those of Milz713 - I'm just relating my own.  Apart from produkti shopping, everywhere I went in Piter had someone available to speak English.  Maybe I was lucky, or just went to different places.  However, the other point that I made was that even I, with my limited Russian, was able to cope well enough on my own in areas where English was NOT spoken.  If Milz learns a bit more than he already has it should open up the world in a way that he may not have previously expected.

Yeah maybe you were lucky. I do find that to be more the case in Moscow. I find a lack of English in St Petersburg but, it's not disabling at all. It's still easy enough to get one's point across. At the time I knew maybe 50 words of Russian and many of the menus were in English. It's easy enough to communicate I'll agree but, during my 2 week visit conversing in English I only remember maybe twice.

During my visits to Russia I have noticed, many average on the street Russians who took an English class think they can speak English and really can't. Keep in mind my standard of "speaking" a language is very low. I know maybe 250 words and phrases in Russian but don't claim to speak it.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2012, 04:34:59 AM »
Yeah maybe you were lucky. I do find that to be more the case in Moscow. I find a lack of English in St Petersburg but, it's not disabling at all. It's still easy enough to get one's point across. At the time I knew maybe 50 words of Russian and many of the menus were in English. It's easy enough to communicate I'll agree but, during my 2 week visit conversing in English I only remember maybe twice.

During my visits to Russia I have noticed, many average on the street Russians who took an English class think they can speak English and really can't. Keep in mind my standard of "speaking" a language is very low. I know maybe 250 words and phrases in Russian but don't claim to speak it.

I think this actually also sums up my experience fairly well.  I will sometimes say that I don't speak Russian at all, although mostly I tell them that I speak "nimnoga" (just a little).

Offline lakecreek

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2012, 04:57:29 PM »
Since we are talking about languages here and I'm reading on here Saint Petersburg has low amount of people speaking English. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should visit Moscow instead since I'm hearing English is pretty well spoken.

Offline ML

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2012, 08:32:20 PM »
To tell people that they can go into a Russian grocery store and strike up a conversation with the cashier and expect them to speak English?   That isn't going to happen. 

Well actually it has happened several times to me, and including in St Petersburg.
Pick a younger cashier, if you have a choice.
And say something humorous with a smile.
Go back to same cashier on subsequent visits to this store.
A few responded in English first time around and a few more
second time around accompanied by a smile.

But if you really want to cause some excitement in any type of store or mall . . . take your camera and shoot a few pics with flash.  A bunch of people will become very interested in you; including some scowling security types.

After they have gotten in their 'nyets'  I smile and say 'tourist.'
They usually just wave me away, with no handcuffs.

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2012, 09:15:16 PM »
Well actually it has happened several times to me, and including in St Petersburg.
Pick a younger cashier, if you have a choice.
And say something humorous with a smile.
Go back to same cashier on subsequent visits to this store.
A few responded in English first time around and a few more
second time around accompanied by a smile.

But if you really want to cause some excitement in any type of store or mall . . . take your camera and shoot a few pics with flash.  A bunch of people will become very interested in you; including some scowling security types.After they have gotten in their 'nyets'  I smile and say 'tourist.'
They usually just wave me away, with no handcuffs.

So true!  First time it happened I was in a restaurant taking photos of the wonderful dishes in a buffet.  I got most of the way through the buffet line before security shook his finger indicating no photos.  I never did  understand the reason for it, but found the same thing in department stores, etc.    If you know the reason for the 'no photos' policy, you might pass it on to the rest of us.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2012, 01:37:41 AM »
Since we are talking about languages here and I'm reading on here Saint Petersburg has low amount of people speaking English. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should visit Moscow instead since I'm hearing English is pretty well spoken.

For goodness' sake, don't be such a wuss!   :rolleyes:   If you succeed in finding and catching a Russian woman, you will need to be far braver in the future than is necessary to find your way around non-English speaking parts of St Petersburg.  Visit, and have yourself a ball.  Look for the adventure - don't be scared of the "what if?" or "what if not?"

You sound as though you have little, if any, experience of any country other than your own, and certainly none of any country where English is not widely spoken.  How about expanding your horizons and jumping in the deep end?  I went to Shanghai for the World Expo in 2010, and I only know about five words of Chinese.  Sign language and a smile break a lot of barriers, but I admit that I would have tried to learn a lot more had I been going there for an extended holiday, rather than just a few days.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2012, 03:45:55 AM »
So true!  First time it happened I was in a restaurant taking photos of the wonderful dishes in a buffet.  I got most of the way through the buffet line before security shook his finger indicating no photos.  I never did  understand the reason for it, but found the same thing in department stores, etc.    If you know the reason for the 'no photos' policy, you might pass it on to the rest of us.
If someone by accident is in the picture, you steal their soul.  ;D
Or prove that they were at a certain place and time when they were supposed to be somewhere else.....
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1761
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1751
Total: 1761

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM